Vista + tape drive

mngl1500

2[H]4U
OK since they toke away out of the box tape drive support for Vista what is everyone using for doing backups with their tape drives under Vista?

The Quantum SDLT Tape drive was free along with the adaptec scsi card and 80+ tapes that were only used once so I do not want to hear just use an external hard drive.

So far it looks like NovaBACKUP is the best bet but I was wondering if there was something better or even something that is free.

Don't open the BackupExec can of worms. I rue the day we ever pushed it out for one of our clients. I'm sure you've discovered that Vista and Server 2008 don't have support for tape drives in their replacement of NTBackup :(

Poking around of Google didn't turn up anything besides Nova.

Yea that is what I got from all of my Google searches I did too.

I guess I will download the trial version of NovaBACKUP and see how it goes and order it from Newegg since they have the boxed version cheaper than the download only version directly from the maker.

After much fighting with the software and dead links on their website (for technical support that you have to disable to tape drive under device manager) I finally was able to get the tape drive to work with NovaBACKUP under Vista.

So while I am not trilled about having to use NovaBACKUP I see no other alternatives with running Vista. And just as an FYI when I ordered the software today it was cheaper to get the boxed retail version from Newegg than it was to get the download only version directly from Novastor.

Back