WCG Birthday Challenge questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Do teams bunker during this challenge? I have a theory here, let me know if this will work.

If all the big teams do indeed bunker for the challenge, which I am sure they do, then I am thinking about reaching out to all my recruits & recruiting more members in General Mayhem 3 or 4 days BEFORE the event. Getting everyone to start then with the thought that most of the tasks they grab will probably be held in a bunker by someone on another team (or even our own) and thus once they release the bunker our team will get credit, too.

Is that not possible? Do they somehow go by the date the actual WU completed by the user was uploaded. So if say User[H] grabs a unit on the 13th, completes it and uploads it on the 13th. But UserL grabs the other task on the 13th as well, but they hold it until the 17th. Would User[H] and UserL both be credited on the same day (the 17th) so both will get points for the challenge?

yes teams bunker

Only wu's that finish and get validated during the challenge period gets counted. It does not matter when it was downloaded. And if you need a wingman... the wingman has to complete and validate you before you get points. Bunkering a shit ton of work units toward the end of challenges happens during the Pentathlon to help secure teams positions... it could be done here theoretically. The good news is that not all work needs a wingman and thus should validate when they run the validation scripts.

Maybe it answered my question, but it wasn't very clear.

A task that requires a wingman completes on the 15th, but the wingman completes it on the 17th are both tasks counted towards the challenge that starts on the 16th? The first task doesn't get credit until after the wingman, so both tasks technically get validated and credited on the 17th.

Last year the work ran out during the challenge. So I can imagine teams will be bunkering as much as they can to get as many WUs as they can during the event.

both would get credit as it did not validate until the 17th when the second work unit was returned and "verified" the first work unit. However, if you turn in a work unit on the 20th and the wing man turns their in on the 24th, neither of you would get credit because it didn't validate and earn points before the deadline.. This is why SETI.Wow event can suck. Some of those work units do not validate for months after the event. PrimeGrid is pretty much the only project that puts effort into making sure all work units downloaded AND returned DURING the challenge matters. The rest of the projects pretty much just comes down to when the points were credited.

While is still don’t like primes that effort is great ... a challange should really just count what is assigned and returned during the phase. No dirty and unsportive tricks, just raw performance

I agree, but that requires direct access to the database as the exports do not provide any way for 3rd parties to truly filter them. And this isn't hosted by WCG

Good to know. I think I am going to anticipate most teams bunkering WCG tasks up to 10 days prior to the event since that seems to be the deadline. So 2 days before the event starts I'm going to encourage new comers to join our team and help. I believe most of the WU's the download 48 hours prior will most likely be captured in another teams bunker anyway.

This, of course, is assuming they don't run out of work again like they did last year IIRC.

Back