Windows 10 users: Get ready to be bugged about creating a Microsoft Account

Yeah, the reason I asked is because I had throught that in order to conserve PCIe lanes, that some designs essentially share the PCIe lanes between the iGPU and the x16 slot, so when you use the PCIe lanes for a discrete GPU it deactivates the lanes going to the iGPU... But maybe that is an AMD thing.

As I said, I haven't spent much time with Intel systems since my x79 build.
Run the script you can find in the first article to display your iommu groupings. You should be able to see how things are laid out.

Run the script you can find in the first article to display your iommu groupings. You should be able to see how things are laid out.

My system is fine. My CPU doesn't even have an iGPU and I have 64 PCIe Gen 4 lanes.

I'm more worried about potential systems I'd upgrade to in the future.

My system is fine. My CPU doesn't even have an iGPU and I have 64 PCIe Gen 4 lanes.

I'm more worried about potential systems I'd upgrade to in the future.
Yea, I've start looking at new motherboards and want one with 2 16 lane pci slots (purchase would be a long time away yet). My current motherboard splits it into 8 and 8. Not that I've really noticed the difference between a 16x vs and 8x slot. Just getting a more modern GPU with more memory would be more noticeable.

/care. Lol @ wanting to deal with desktop Linux.
Not long ago people were saying that Microsoft left a work around. Clearly they didn't.
_nc_ohc=1tRvmc1SDqMAb6c1_YJ&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.jpg

Not long ago people were saying that Microsoft left a work around. Clearly they didn't.
View attachment 648762
There is still a workaround, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. A lot of people would use Linux if it worked with everything, which it doesn't. People don't use Linux because they hate Linux. People often don't use Windows because they love Windows. They use what works for what they're doing. Linux is severely lacking with a lot of software support for many people. For those that need everything Linux can offer, it's great.

There is still a workaround, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. A lot of people would use Linux if it worked with everything, which it doesn't. People don't use Linux because they hate Linux. People often don't use Windows because they love Windows. They use what works for what they're doing. Linux is severely lacking with a lot of software support for many people. For those that need everything Linux can offer, it's great.

Linux is absolutely fantastic, as long as you are happy with the native open source software set / packages.

As soon as people start having expectations of installing Adobe products, or Microsoft Office or any other off the shelf windows-based software you start having problems, some small, some insurmountable.

But if you go into it being inflexible and absolutely adamant that "I must use this one piece of software, and nothing else will do", then yeah, you are going to have a bad time.

Windows would be my OS of choice if Microsoft wasn't dragging it down. An OS should obey me, not some corporation. I won't disagree that Linux isn't there, because it isn't.

Windows would be my OS of choice if Microsoft wasn't dragging it down. An OS should obey me, not some corporation. I won't disagree that Linux isn't there, because it isn't.
I would be using Linux if it wasn't for the lack of support. Windows is a huge pain in the ass. Even though I consider myself an advanced user and can completely slim down and streamline Windows to its most basic functions, it's still a pain in the ass.

I would be using Linux if it wasn't for the lack of support. Windows is a huge pain in the ass. Even though I consider myself an advanced user and can completely slim down and streamline Windows to its most basic functions, it's still a pain in the ass.
What lack of support is there under Linux? If you consider that Microsoft's own support forums are run by (clueless) volunteers, there's really no difference between Linux and Windows - With the exception of the fact that users in the Linux community have more of a clue than Microsoft's support volunteers that think sfc /scannow and creating a new user profile fixes everything (Hint: Such actions rarely fix anything).

There are a few key things I think Linux needs to be there. One is that it needs more commercial software, which won't happen until there's more adoption. The second is the migration to Wayland which would fix a lot of UI issues with Linux. The 3rd is quicker adoption to new technologies. Whatever the RTX 5090 will have, I'm certain it'll be a while before any new features will work on Linux. If you're new to Linux and are trying to get work done then at some point you won't have the software needed. Multi-Monitor refresh rates need Wayland to work properly. That being said, if you don't need these things then Linux is a fine option.

There are a few key things I think Linux needs to be there. One is that it needs more commercial software, which won't happen until there's more adoption. The second is the migration to Wayland which would fix a lot of UI issues with Linux. The 3rd is quicker adoption to new technologies. Whatever the RTX 5090 will have, I'm certain it'll be a while before any new features will work on Linux. If you're new to Linux and are trying to get work done then at some point you won't have the software needed. Multi-Monitor refresh rates need Wayland to work properly. That being said, if you don't need these things then Linux is a fine option.
I run a single 4k monitor with fractional scaling, and I have no UI issues whatsoever running X11 - the only new technology I don't have access to is DLSS3.5 frame gen. DLSS1, DLSS2 and DLSS3 as well as NVENC work fine - Even Nvidia Reflex is supported as of VKD3D-Proton 2.12 and DXVK-NVAPI 0.7.

As for MS Office, I wouldn't run it if I was running Windows, and there's no way I'm paying Adobe's ridiculous pricing re: The Adobe suite.

I run Linux and PC goes burr. I have access to a huge software library, with many applications available cross platform. Most of the time I forget I'm even running Linux TBH.

What lack of support is there under Linux?

I don't know. I have - apart from activation issues, which you would never have with Linux - never been in contact with Microsoft support.

I find that most Linux distributions have WAY better support communities and forums than you will ever find for Windows.

I don't know. I have - apart from activation issues, which you would never have with Linux - never been in contact with Microsoft support.

I find that most Linux distributions have WAY better support communities and forums than you will ever find for Windows.
100% agreed.

In fact the one time I did try to contact Microsoft direct to recover a lost Microsoft account, I was pretty much told to go away.

What lack of support is there under Linux? If you consider that Microsoft's own support forums are run by (clueless) volunteers, there's really no difference between Linux and Windows - With the exception of the fact that users in the Linux community have more of a clue than Microsoft's support volunteers that think sfc /scannow and creating a new user profile fixes everything (Hint: Such actions rarely fix anything).
The entire Adobe suite, among many other things. I can't run my business without it. I also run QuickBooks for my business, which doesn't run properly in Wine. The last half of your post is nonsense. There's nothing wrong with Linux except for the lack of software support. Acting like software support isn't an issue on Linux is more annoying than anything else. Lack of software is the real harsh reality for Linux. This is not a fault of Linux itself, but a lack of marketshare, which makes developing for it not worth it for many large companies ... large companies that develop the software I need ... that doesn't work in Linux.

I do agree with you that people in Linux forums are generally more educated about the OS than people in Microsoft forums. Also, Microsoft tech support is a complete joke.

I run a single 4k monitor with fractional scaling, and I have no UI issues whatsoever running X11 - the only new technology I don't have access to is DLSS3.5 frame gen. DLSS1, DLSS2 and DLSS3 as well as NVENC work fine - Even Nvidia Reflex is supported as of VKD3D-Proton 2.12 and DXVK-NVAPI 0.7.
I've heard issues of people using different refresh rates on different monitors on X11, but on Wayland that's fixed. I have two 1080p monitors running at 60Hz so not a problem I'd run into. A lot of the DLSS and Reflex didn't work initially on Linux, which is something that would turn off people to using Linux. I feel that there needs to be quicker adoption for these technologies. XeSS's hardware support for Intel GPU's is not supported yet on Linux, at least last I heard.
As for MS Office, I wouldn't run it if I was running Windows, and there's no way I'm paying Adobe's ridiculous pricing re: The Adobe suite.
I just can't get away from Photoshop. I also use Fusion 360 which does work on Linux through a Github but it breaks all the time. I just wish that developers would port it over already.
I run Linux and PC goes burr. I have access to a huge software library, with many applications available cross platform. Most of the time I forget I'm even running Linux TBH.
I run Linux exclusively but I do think we should recognize these shortcomings. Rather than being apologetic to Linux's shortcomings, I'd rather point them out in hopes it'll get fixed. This is something I picked up from the Linux Sucks (Bryen Lunduke) guy, before he went nuts and thinks Google is the future of Linux, kernel and all. I do believe that at some point I influenced the creation of Proton and Gallium Nine as I was suggesting these very ideas often on Phoronix forums. Not well received as the community wanted native ports over Wine, and everything on top of Vulkan. Someone must have been listening. Too bad there was never a Gallium Eleven.

View: https://youtu.be/mhqeuO9RKKk?si=5YG_lo2aepx33suW

The entire Adobe suite, among many other things. I can't run my business without it. I also run QuickBooks for my business, which doesn't run properly in Wine. The last half of your post is nonsense. There's nothing wrong with Linux except for the lack of software support.
It's not just the low market share of desktop Linux. it's the large number of versions and releases. Maybe Linux as a catergory has 4% market share, but what is the market share of any given distro? How much less than 1% You aren't going to get Adobe or Intuit interested in developing (and testing ....) for that kind of market. And what happens when Joe Linux calls and says, "My distro is XYX, which you don't support?" What is the vendor supposed to do? Having lived in that world, I know that software vendors get real nervous about supporting their product on an untested platform.

I've heard issues of people using different refresh rates on different monitors on X11, but on Wayland that's fixed. I have two 1080p monitors running at 60Hz so not a problem I'd run into. A lot of the DLSS and Reflex didn't work initially on Linux, which is something that would turn off people to using Linux. I feel that there needs to be quicker adoption for these technologies. XeSS's hardware support for Intel GPU's is not supported yet on Linux, at least last I heard.
DLSS was supported under Linux the same time it was supported under Windows, DLSS2 took a couple of months to drop under Linux, DLSS3 was supported the same time it was supported under Windows. In relation to Nvidia hardware support, new GPU's are supported the same time they're supported under Windows.

As for XeSS, lets be honest, Intel's ARC GPU's aren't very well supported under any platform. If you want to consider AMD GPU support, AMD GPU's actually run better under Linux than they do under Windows.

I just can't get away from Photoshop. I also use Fusion 360 which does work on Linux through a Github but it breaks all the time. I just wish that developers would port it over already.
Yeah, not a chance I'm paying for any of it, and for the vast majority of people out there that have no need for such software it really is an over hyped point of contention.

I run Linux exclusively but I do think we should recognize these shortcomings. Rather than being apologetic to Linux's shortcomings, I'd rather point them out in hopes it'll get fixed. This is something I picked up from the Linux Sucks (Bryen Lunduke) guy, before he went nuts and thinks Google is the future of Linux, kernel and all. I do believe that at some point I influenced the creation of Proton and Gallium Nine as I was suggesting these very ideas often on Phoronix forums. Not well received as the community wanted native ports over Wine, and everything on top of Vulkan. Someone must have been listening. Too bad there was never a Gallium Eleven.
I turn my PC on, and I use it. I don't think of the fact I'm running Linux, I don't feel limited in the slightest. In fact, I feel a freedom I haven't felt since the very early Windows days.

It's not just the low market share of desktop Linux. it's the large number of versions and releases. Maybe Linux as a catergory has 4% market share, but what is the market share of any given distro? How much less than 1% You aren't going to get Adobe or Intuit interested in developing (and testing ....) for that kind of market. And what happens when Joe Linux calls and says, "My distro is XYX, which you don't support?" What is the vendor supposed to do? Having lived in that world, I know that software vendors get real nervous about supporting their product on an untested platform.
Which doesn't really appear to be a problem regarding Davinci Resolve or the many games supported under Linux. While the Arch users may not like it, all you have to do is package your software to support LTS releases (CentOS in the case of DaVinci Resolve) and officially support only LTS releases - It's not like SFX/video editing companies are going to be running Arch desktops anyway.

Those that want to run such software under differing Linux distro's usually have no problem packaging the software to suit the distro of their choosing - Just don't expect the support of the developer.

Last edited:
The entire Adobe suite, among many other things. I can't run my business without it. I also run QuickBooks for my business, which doesn't run properly in Wine. The last half of your post is nonsense. There's nothing wrong with Linux except for the lack of software support. Acting like software support isn't an issue on Linux is more annoying than anything else. Lack of software is the real harsh reality for Linux. This is not a fault of Linux itself, but a lack of marketshare, which makes developing for it not worth it for many large companies ... large companies that develop the software I need ... that doesn't work in Linux.

I do agree with you that people in Linux forums are generally more educated about the OS than people in Microsoft forums. Also, Microsoft tech support is a complete joke.
The lack of non Microsoft based business software is a hard truth. OpenOffice does not cut it, and accounting on anything but Microsoft is basically non existent unless you run some of the web based stuff that sucks for anything remotely complex. Linux is fantastic at what it does, but it has large and sadly important gaps in its environment that need big monetary investment but there is no real incentive to perform it.

The lack of non Microsoft based business software is a hard truth. OpenOffice does not cut it, and accounting on anything but Microsoft is basically non existent unless you run some of the web based stuff that sucks for anything remotely complex. Linux is fantastic at what it does, but it has large and sadly important gaps in its environment that need big monetary investment but there is no real incentive to perform it.
At the end of the day, Microsoft Office is the worlds least compatible with ISO standards office suite, marketed as the most compatible. Like the whole Photoshop 'must have', MS Office is yet another over hyped point of contention. Very few people use Excel filled with macro's to the extreme - Where people do use Excel to the extreme, it's usually a result of a very legacy mindset and often not the most suitable tool for the job.

Considering current global tensions, Governments of a number of countries are dropping Microsoft in favor of open source alternatives. OpenOffice is one of those alternatives, as is the Linux desktop.

Granted, some people need Windows. But considering the vast majority, the reliance on Microsoft is overstated.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, Microsoft Office is the worlds least compatible with ISO standards office suite, marketed as the most compatible. Like the whole Photoshop 'must have', MS Office is yet another over hyped point of contention. Very few people use Excel filled with macro's to the extreme - Where people do use Excel to the extreme, it's usually a result of a very legacy mindset and often not the most suitable tool for the job.

Considering current global tensions, Governments of a number of countries are dropping Microsoft in favor of open source alternatives. OpenOffice is one of those alternatives, as is the Linux desktop.

Granted, some people need Windows. But considering the vast majority, the reliance on Microsoft is overstated.
The reliance on Windows or Mac is because the software doesn't exist on Linux. Period. That's it. There's nothing wrong with Linux. At all. Linux itself isn't the problem.

The reliance on Windows or Mac is because the software doesn't exist on Linux. Period. That's it. There's nothing wrong with Linux. At all. Linux itself isn't the problem.
The point being: Most don't need Photoshop or MS Office. It's an over hyped point of contention. As stated, considering ISO standards, MS Office is the least compatible office suite marketed as the most compatible.

I don't know one person that 'needs' either MS Office or Photoshop.

The point being: Most don't need Photoshop or MS Office. It's an over hyped point of contention. As stated, considering ISO standards, MS Office is the least compatible office suite marketed as the most compatible.

I don't know one person that 'needs' either MS Office or Photoshop.
I need Photoshop. So ... now you know someone that does. You're just being ridiculous for no reason, or you don't know anyone. My buddy runs a photography business, and I do photography work for him on the side as well as a hobby. The integration between Photoshop and Illustrator, Photoshop and Lightroom, and many other various parts of Adobe's apps literally can't be replicated on Linux. I do a lot of photography and graphics work and again ... my workflow cannot be replicated on Linux. None of my current workflows can be replicated on Linux for most of the things that I do.

As for Office, unless you need the integration of the Office suite of apps, then there are plenty of alternatives. My buddy relies on Office 365 for his work. So that's another person that "needs" it. I don't. I use OpenOffice in Windows and Pages/Numbers on the Mac.

Accounting software is also non-existent on Linux and I use them frequently. I like Linux. But it will never be a main OS with the lack of software. And you pretending that there are alternatives for everything isn't helping anyone. Who are you trying to convince here anyway? Us ... or you?

I need Photoshop. So ... now you know someone that does. You're just being ridiculous for no reason, or you don't know anyone. My buddy runs a photography business, and I do photography work for him on the side as well as a hobby. The integration between Photoshop and Illustrator, Photoshop and Lightroom, and many other various parts of Adobe's apps literally can't be replicated on Linux. I do a lot of photography and graphics work and again ... my workflow cannot be replicated on Linux. None of my current workflows can be replicated on Linux for most of the things that I do.

As for Office, unless you need the integration of the Office suite of apps, then there are plenty of alternatives. My buddy relies on Office 365 for his work. So that's another person that "needs" it. I don't. I use OpenOffice in Windows and Pages/Numbers on the Mac.

Accounting software is also non-existent on Linux and I use them frequently. I like Linux. But it will never be a main OS with the lack of software. And you pretending that there are alternatives for everything isn't helping anyone. Who are you trying to convince here anyway? Us ... or you?
I'm not being ridiculous for no reason at all - The vast majority of Windows users 'do not' need Photoshop. Furthermore, I do not know you at all.

Many accounting packages are now available online, accessible via your browser. The number of issues I've dealt with regarding client side accounting packages is downright laughable considering the ongoing cost of such software. As stated, I use Linux and only Linux, my needs are not simplistic, and most of the time I'm not even consciously thinking of the fact that I'm not running Windows.

At the end of the day: You do you, but you are not the majority. Likewise, the same goes for myself. There's a vast majority of grey out there that makes up the huge lump in the bell curve that is Windows users, none of whom are exactly power users.

Furthermore, MS Office on Mac sucks...

I'm not being ridiculous for no reason at all - The vast majority of Windows users 'do not' need Photoshop. Furthermore, I do not know you at all.

Many accounting packages are now available online, accessible via your browser. The number of issues I've dealt with regarding client side accounting packages is downright laughable considering the ongoing cost of such software. As stated, I use Linux and only Linux, my needs are not simplistic, and most of the time I'm not even consciously thinking of the fact that I'm not running Windows.

At the end of the day: You do you, but you are not the majority. Likewise, the same goes for myself. There's a vast majority of grey out there that makes up the huge lump in the bell curve that is Windows users, none of whom are exactly power users.

Furthermore, MS Office on Mac sucks...
Lots of people need Photoshop. Millions of them, in fact. Normal people that don't use it for business purposes or their hobbies or whatever might not need it. You just sound silly when you make statements like this. You seem offended that people need software that Linux doesn't offer. Who cares? Does it bother you that some people can't use Linux? Why does it matter? You're one of the reasons people get annoyed when there's a discussion about Linux. There's nothing wrong with Linux. There's only things wrong with the people that use it, such as yourself. Children act this way. Not adults.

Lots of people need Photoshop. Millions of them, in fact. Normal people that don't use it for business purposes or their hobbies or whatever might not need it. You just sound silly when you make statements like this. You seem offended that people need software that Linux doesn't offer. Who cares? Does it bother you that some people can't use Linux? Why does it matter? You're one of the reasons people get annoyed when there's a discussion about Linux. There's nothing wrong with Linux. There's only things wrong with the people that use it, such as yourself. Children act this way. Not adults.
Not really - and no, it doesn't bother me that there's people out there that believe they need Windows.

But, moving on...

Not really.

But, moving on...
Yes, really. I didn't say anything that wasn't factual. You just have serious hangups about dealing with reality.

[...] and no, it doesn't bother me that there's people out there that believe they need Windows.
Nice edit that further proves my point. I didn't say anybody needs Windows. I said people need the OS that the software they need runs on. That can be Windows, macOS, or Linux, but is oftentimes lacking on Linux, which is why people choose Windows or macOS. This is reality. And it's why Linux continues to have dwindling marketshare. This isn't the fault of Linux. It's that companies don't want to take a risk by developing their software for such a small market segment. The profitability just isn't there. I would much rather use Linux than Windows. But it's not an option. And it's not because I prefer Windows over Linux.

Last edited:
Yes, really. I didn't say anything that wasn't factual. You just have serious hangups about dealing with reality.
Honestly? You seem to have more of a problem with the fact that I'm claiming that it's entirely possible that one can use Linux daily with few issues whatsoever, than myself having an apparent problem with the unfounded belief that people 'must have' Photoshop and MS Office.

But you do you; while the rest of that fat part of the bell curve shop online, check emails, watch Cat video's, and pay bills. I'm not looking for some pointless argument, I'm done with this discussion.

I have this issue. I own a (non grey market, paid $130 for it once upon a time) license for the Windows 10 install on my testbench machine.

When I moved the windows install from a dual boot bare metal into a VM on the same hardware, it decided to un-activate itself.

There seems to be little recourse to fix it without without having the key registered to a Microsoft account. I can't even contact support without having a Microsoft account. (there is still an 800 number, but that is supposedly only for business/enterprise users)

I bought a copy of Office 2021 a couple of years ago (because I did not want to create a Microsoft accountor subscribe) only to find that the only way to redeem the license key is to use a Microsoft account and register the license key to the microsoft account.

I wound up returning the Office 2021 license, and now I just don't use Microsoft Office at home anymore. LibreOffice is not as good, but it will have to do.

It's total fucking bullshit if you ask me.

I WILL NOT be forced into cloud accounts. Not now, not ever. And I will take increasingly extreme measures to avoid that, including, - if I can't make it work any other way - just not using anything Microsoft ever again.
It depends on what type of key you have, but I've always used the phone activation option and it still works with keys that have reached the max activation amount

Unfortunately Windows 10 terminated their gracious, we will activate almost any old key. Now you need an actual legit win 10 license to activate

Anywho I've never come across being forced ever yet.

Honestly? You seem to have more of a problem with the fact that I'm claiming that it's entirely possible that one can use Linux daily with few issues whatsoever, than myself having an apparent problem with the unfounded belief that people 'must have' Photoshop and MS Office.

But you do you; while the rest of that fat part of the bell curve shop online, check emails, watch Cat video's, and pay bills. I'm not looking for some pointless argument, I'm done with this discussion.
You've bought into your own delusion is the problem.

What are you talking about? Virtually every single finance professional in every single business in the world is an advanced Excel user and has entire workflows based around MS-specific functionality.

I absolutely hate Microsoft software and PC laptops - I force most of my employees to use Macbook Pros in support, sales, etc and we never have support related issues or costs with them. But in finance I simply have no choice - I am stuck buying them Thinkpads and using Office 365. Likewise, believe it or not there are many engineering departments that can't run without Windows. We design embedded hardware and a lot of our tools like Altium won't run in Linux. My engineers prefer Linux by far, but they are constantly dual-booting since a lot of the tools we use won't function properly in VMs.

I actually didn't even know that the Adobe suite doesn't run on Linux, but that would be a non-starter for us as well. I could not run my business without multiple programs from the Creative Suite. I used to hate Adobe like Microsoft, but the software has gotten a LOT better over the last few years and runs like butter on the Apple Silicon platform.

This is generally how my employees feel about the platforms:

Linux: Love it and indispensable for certain things, but simply can't use it for other absolutely critical things - not a complete solution
Windows: Passionately despise it, but absolutely need it for certain things (my finance people like windows though)
MacOS: Love it, it is the perfect and complete solution for everything except engineering. Excel on Mac slightly lags behind Windows for finance still, but the gap is closing. The bigger issue is getting finance people to re-learn keyboard shortcuts.

Anyone thinking Linux is a complete business solution is delusional or just under-educated about how businesses actually work.

But then you also have to remember that Microsoft lost a lawsuit when somebody who had a local account, enabled BitLocker, lost their key and locked themselves out of the system destroying all their data.
Which a Microsoft account, or Google account, would have prevented as they could then have directed them to the correct location to undo that.

So while requiring an account is stupid, the lawsuits they face are equally stupid, and sadly, policy is usually driven by those stupid and frivolous lawsuits.
Isn't it also microsoft who is pushing bitlocker tpm and secure boot and such things whether you want them or not?

Isn't it also microsoft who is pushing bitlocker tpm and secure boot and such things whether you want them or not?
Because they got pulled into a congressional hearing because too many users were getting hacked and they supposedly weren’t doing enough. But yes, sort of, bitlocker has been around longer than the whole TPM secure boot thing.

You remember the bit Home Depot breach that was big news from them not doing windows updates. Microsoft’s fault because windows was too hard to update, they paid a fine and now it auto updates.

People fuck up, and then it magically gets to be their fault. Good old fucked if they do, fucked if they don’t.

Last edited:
Because they got pulled into a congressional hearing because too many users were getting hacked and they supposedly weren’t doing enough. But yes, sort of, bitlocker has been around longer than the whole TPM secure boot thing.

You remember the bit Home Depot breach that was big news from them not doing windows updates. Microsoft’s fault because windows was too hard to update, they paid a fine and now it auto updates.

People fuck up, and then it magically gets to be their fault. Good old fucked if they do, fucked if they don’t.
Bitlocker with TPM does not protect you from hacking, the only thing it does is protect the data when it is physically stolen.
Secure boot offers protection from rootkits theoretically.

But for a regular home user I think they are more likely to cause data loss, than protect anyone. It's kind of the same as the gun argument, where people who own guns are more likely to be shot accidentally than the chance they have of getting into a confrontation where they actually need a gun to protect themselves.

Bitlocker with TPM does not protect you from hacking, the only thing it does is protect the data when it is physically stolen.
Secure boot offers protection from rootkits theoretically.

But for a regular home user I think they are more likely to cause data loss, than protect anyone. It's kind of the same as the gun argument, where people who own guns are more likely to be shot accidentally than the chance they have of getting into a confrontation where they actually need a gun to protect themselves.
I’m not disagreeing, just stating that it was an imperfect solution attempt to answer the demands placed on them by the EU, Congress, and lost court cases.

Lots of the crap we hate about Windows right now is the result of a lost legal battle and it’s funny in one of those sad ways.

Except the adds thing, that is a result of people not wanting to pay for an OS anymore and Google’s absolute dominance in advertising, that is Microsoft trying to shift a line item to make something “Free” while not affecting their bottom line.

Reactions: M76
like this
Lots of the crap we hate about Windows right now is the result of a lost legal battle and it’s funny in one of those sad ways.
I don't believe that's true. What if any of these things that I find most annoying in W10/11 are court mandated?

• The constant push to upgrade to windows 11
  • The pressure to use cortana then copilot ai
  • Removal of most UI customization options
  • Fragmentation / hiding of options from users that were previously accessible easily in the control panel
  • Pushing online account instead of local
The court mandated things that I heard about are actually good things like allowing the removal of their built in apps.

Back