AMD will reportedly stop supporting Windows 10 starting with its new Strix Point APUs

Saw this on Facebook a few days ago.

I don't know what people were expecting what with Windows 10 going EOL in October 2025.

Strix Point was originally expected this summer, but rumors I've seen suggest they might be delayed to 2025. They probably figured there was way too little time left to make all the costly driver writing and OS validation worth it for Windows 10.

And it makes sense. I'd do the same if I were them.

Never since it first came out have I been on FB. I thought I be nice and post this, but oh well. And I don't use AMD. I'm Intel guy. A lot think that 10 will be the next Windows 7. By the way I am still one Windows 7. And it's been running 24/7 since I built it. Went down back in October, but I had to replace ram. Some day I will get my new pc built. I've had the parts for over a year.

Never since it first came out have I been on FB. I thought I be nice and post this, but oh well. And I don't use AMD. I'm Intel guy. A lot think that 10 will be the next Windows 7. By the way I am still one Windows 7. And it's been running 24/7 since I built it. Went down back in October, but I had to replace ram. Some day I will get my new pc built. I've had the parts for over a year.

Sorry, don't take it the wrong way, I didn't mean to complain. It was a good call to post it here, as it hasn't been discussed here yet.

I happen to be on Facebook to keep up with friends and family who live far away, but I'm not exactly happy about it.

Could be wrong, but that seem a broad of a statement, will it not be just for those specifics APUs (and just for the new AI npu feature on those) ? While RDNA 3.5 gpu drivers will work fine on windows 10 for still a good while ?

Windows 10s is still quite popular, but on new Laptop... ?

It's the iGPU which is arguably of more interest to PC gamers, with its 16 RDNA 3.5 compute units and the potential to deliver gaming frame rates well beyond what you'll see in modern handheld PCs. And, realistically, that ought to still see Windows 10 graphics driver support from the Adrenalin suite.

But if you want to take advantage of the extra AI features getting baked into the silicon, then you'll need to be running the latest Microsoft operating system and that means getting on the Windows 11 bandwagon.

Seem to be
: A rumours from a chinese social media website
- about AMD new apu AI feature being only supported on windows 11.
- Becoming : AMD will reportedly stop supporting Windows 10

50/50 chance this is true.. EOL for Windows 11 is still unknown, and it is rumored that Windows 12 will have several new requirements that obsolete pretty much every platform today without mfgs supporting TPM 3.0 (but maybe some later chipsets will?)..

Rumored requirements for Windows 12:

* TPM3.0 (hmmm)..
* AI enabled processor (for Microsoft to cram co-pilot down your throat).

For reference, the current Intel Meteor Lake CPUs run at 34 TOPS, making them ineligible to power AI PCs. However, the upcoming Lunar Lake CPUs are expected to be rated for AI PCs. The new AMD Zen 4 APUs are rated at 39 TOPS, coming up just short, but the brand’s Strix Point Zen 5 APUs are expected to be compatible. Meanwhile, the Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite chip exceeds the threshold at 45 TOPS.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/windows-12s-minimum-requirements-16-gb-ram.21765/

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-12-may-force-major-225705796.html

With all that said, my 7th gen Intel laptop still works just fine (for casual browsing) on the latest release of Windows 11..

So take it all with a grain of salt.

We shall see. I personally am going to hold out until late 2025 for considering an upgrade until I understand the roadmap and consider needs vs wants.

Do I really need AI as a local client? Nope.. So far, I have not found a meaningful use case. The only reason I will go to Windows 12 is when 11 is no longer supported.

Last edited:
What would be the point of AMD supporting it? MS stopped supporting it in a meaningful way years ago when 11 was released.

What would be the point of AMD supporting it? MS stopped supporting it in a meaningful way years ago when 11 was released.
Because as bad as Windows 10 is, Windows 11 is worse and the OS using public is and has been rejecting 11. Moreover, at least for any Zen chip using the same socket as an existing Win 10 supporting processor there's no excuse not to continue compatibility.

Because as bad as Windows 10 is, Windows 11 is worse and the OS using public is and has been rejecting 11. Moreover, at least for any Zen chip using the same socket as an existing Win 10 supporting processor there's no excuse not to continue compatibility.
It doesn't matter. MS stopped supporting it years ago. They refused to backport important kernel changes and scheduler updates despite the fact the two OSes are practically identical under the hood. All the while backporting any additional spying.

There is no point in AMD trying to support it.

I don't like 10 and refuse to even mess with 11 on my personal machines despite the fact that I hardly ever even boot into Windows anymore but the reality of the situation is that 10 is effectively dead and there's nothing AMD or anyone can do about it other than MS.

the general public just havent replaced their machines yet. chances are when all the w10 machines start dying there will be a a massive surge for w11. normies do not care. nerds do.

Strix Point is a Mobile APU, AMD usually has those soldered to the boards and aren’t socketed at all.
They are only available with a new device purchase, Microsoft stopped selling the Windows 10 downgrade license options to OEM’s some 6 months ago, and they no longer sell Windows 10 licenses in retail services. The only people affected would be enterprise license holders who still have unused Windows 10 MAK’s or host their own KMS.
But generally we have been moving to Windows 11 for a while simply because it works way better for us, as we don’t have to deal with all the Home and Pro (non workstation) hassles like adds and such.

Who's us?
Most Enterprise in general, Microsoft really dropped the ball on O365 integration with Win10, it’s flakey, and they never bothered to fix it. It’s 100% Microsoft’s fault, they could have easily made the fixes available in 10, they just never did. But they also made the Windows 11 upgrade for us cheap and easy, so it’s not like we could be mad about it. We were basically standing there going well, not much we can do about it other than get over it and schedule some updates.

Last edited:
Most Enterprise in general, Microsoft really dropped the ball on O365 integration with Win10, it’s flakey, and they never bothered to fix it. It’s 100% Microsoft’s fault, they could have easily made the fixes available in 10, they just never did.
Well, that sucks.

But they also made the Windows 11 upgrade for us cheap and easy, so it’s not like we could be mad about it. We were basically standing there going well, not much we can do about it other than get over it and schedule some updates.
OK, but apparently you CAN get the new Microsoft Phone Link for Win 10. And the new Phone Link works only for Android phones, not iOS.

Well, that sucks.

OK, but apparently you CAN get the new Microsoft Phone Link for Win 10. And the new Phone Link works only for Android phones, not iOS.
The fact that Microsoft couldn’t be bothered to make it work for 10, when it does for 11 is absolute garbage.
It makes me wonder if maybe Windows 10 has some serious flaw that Microsoft is doing it’s best to keep hidden, because there is no reason for them to not have back ported much of the absolute basic program functionality like they did unless there was something serious going on.
Maybe I’m paranoid, but the arbitrary loss in functionality and support Microsoft has shown for 10 over its active lifespan concerns me.

The fact that Microsoft couldn’t be bothered to make it work for 10, when it does for 11 is absolute garbage.
It makes me wonder if maybe Windows 10 has some serious flaw that Microsoft is doing it’s best to keep hidden, because there is no reason for them to not have back ported much of the absolute basic program functionality like they did unless there was something serious going on.
I think there is a good reason. Microsoft is using both carrots and sticks to get peolple to move from 10 to 11. Unfortunately, 11 has very few carrots. Not supporting phone sync on 10 is a stick, or at least they think so.

Maybe I’m paranoid, but the arbitrary loss in functionality and support Microsoft has shown for 10 over its active lifespan concerns me.
It's probably a resource issue. Microsoft has a lot on its plate now, with fierce competition from Amazon and Google, and also from Apple. They are no longer the king of the hill.

I don't see a problem Win 10 is EOL, so who cares so AMD cares?

And the drama is every time:
Old Windows - cool
New Windows - bad

I hope Windows 12 doesn't reduce gaming performance.

50/50 chance this is true.. EOL for Windows 11 is still unknown, and it is rumored that Windows 12 will have several new requirements that obsolete pretty much every platform today without mfgs supporting TPM 3.0 (but maybe some later chipsets will?)..

Rumored requirements for Windows 12:

* TPM3.0 (hmmm)..
* AI enabled processor (for Microsoft to cram co-pilot down your throat).

For reference, the current Intel Meteor Lake CPUs run at 34 TOPS, making them ineligible to power AI PCs. However, the upcoming Lunar Lake CPUs are expected to be rated for AI PCs. The new AMD Zen 4 APUs are rated at 39 TOPS, coming up just short, but the brand’s Strix Point Zen 5 APUs are expected to be compatible. Meanwhile, the Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite chip exceeds the threshold at 45 TOPS.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/windows-12s-minimum-requirements-16-gb-ram.21765/

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-12-may-force-major-225705796.html

With all that said, my 7th gen Intel laptop still works just fine (for casual browsing) on the latest release of Windows 11..

So take it all with a grain of salt.

We shall see. I personally am going to hold out until late 2025 for considering an upgrade until I understand the roadmap and consider needs vs wants.

Do I really need AI as a local client? Nope.. So far, I have not found a meaningful use case. The only reason I will go to Windows 12 is when 11 is no longer supported.
The Windows lifecycle is 10 years, so we can assume that 11 will go EOL in or around October 2031. XP and 8 were exceptions to the rule, with the former getting free extended support and the latter dropping support early due to 8.1 superseding it.

I don't see a problem Win 10 is EOL, so who cares so AMD cares?

And the drama is every time:
Old Windows - cool
New Windows - bad

I hope Windows 12 doesn't reduce gaming performance.
It will with Ad's and a lots of them.

I use Win 11, no Ads here, manually stop what I don't need, and everything runs fine.
I suppose that there will be gpedit/registry :)
I really think their going to push it harder then what your seeing now. They might go as far as to lock it so you can not remove it. You know how greedy they are!

Could depend on how much they can monetize the integrated AI search, which could be the focus instead of "in OS" ads outside the ads for their own product which for sure they will continue to push hard but those seem natural to the users like add-ons, they could be significantly better (because they are often relevant right now to the user ostensibly interested in what they are searching)

Then they know to much about you.This why I will not go to 11. I am working on 10 by ripping everything out of it, before I install it. But I am still on 7.

Then they know to much about you.This why I will not go to 11. I am working on 10 by ripping everything out of it, before I install it. But I am still on 7.
Not so sure how different windows+c, typing a search will be versus launching edge and searching in bing in that regard.

Obviously if you put the always look at my screen feature OpenAI offer on Mac or Windows on arm machine that will be coming to x86 with NPU we can imagine, but that more for work account and the client buying their computer ability to know more about their work life to have an assistant.

That's most of the people that don't know anything. Bing and Edge have been removed. And I don't have Copilot now. But I have no plans on buy anything with NPU. Now for companies. They'll have it all so they can do anything they want.

That's most of the people that don't know anything. Bing and Edge have been removed. And I don't have Copilot now. But I have no plans on buy anything with NPU. Now for companies. They'll have it all so they can do anything they want.
Why would it have anything to do with knowing anything, obviously having a personal assistant has a lot of value and Microsoft knowing stuff about an hashtag anonyme user that represent your session seem to have virtually zero cost (and a lot of it can be deduced from just your general internet usage coming from IPs).

But yes if you do not work from a machine, the AI that look at everything you do seem of little use, that said would not be surprised if (because of how much attention it will have) it will phone home to give information to microsoft way way less than usual and will be not an issue at all in that regard.

I got a nice full window of MS thanking me for being a loyal win10 customer the other day on my haswell system. They mentioned the end of win10 support next year and while my system isn't supported in win11 they offered links to get more info..on win11 or something.

I don't worry I have a bare bones laptop I use watch youtube. And block all their ads to. No programs installed. Just Windows. I have a pc for gaming that is not in anyway hook up to internet. I play single player.

It makes sense since Windows 10 ends next year. Windows 10 is already 9 years old, so it's not like AMD ended support early for Windows 10. The problem is that Windows 11 sucks.

I really don't want to switch to 11, it seems so much worse I don't get why MS is forcing this BS.
I have Win 11 on my MSI GF63 and its a serious piece of crap. Plan on downgrading it to 10 or just nuking it and putting linux on it. x.x

Reactions: M76
like this
Saw this on Facebook a few days ago.

I don't know what people were expecting what with Windows 10 going EOL in October 2025.
I think people were rightfully expecting support until at least the EOL, but considering how popular 10 still is maybe even beyond that.
Strix Point was originally expected this summer, but rumors I've seen suggest they might be delayed to 2025. They probably figured there was way too little time left to make all the costly driver writing and OS validation worth it for Windows 10.
I don't think there is so much difference that they'd need a completely separate driver.
And it makes sense. I'd do the same if I were them.
If it is an oem only product it would make sense, as they aren't shipping PCs with 10 any longer.

I really think their going to push it harder then what your seeing now. They might go as far as to lock it so you can not remove it. You know how greedy they are!
There are companies, that have very strong security about their employees, so group policy must work very well and strongly ;)

Back