Curve Optimizer and 5800x3d

Light1984

Gawd
Hey all. I recent installed Ryzen Master to play around with it and noticed that the CO tab is not available and it indicates that CO is not enabled for me. However, in bios (v4805 on Asus CH8 DH) I have it enabled with -20 all core offset. Is this just a bug, or something else? Any other programs you can recommend to verify in Windows that CO is working or not?

Attachments

• 1714160839661.png
    1714160839661.png
    645.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Are you sure you're setting up PBO in the correct place? If you're in the AI Overclocking tab or whatever they call it, the PBO section there literally doesn't do anything.

Advanced > Scroll down to AMD Overclocking then set it up in there.

This is a classic Asus thing. Two PBO sections, one does nothing. (this is all in the BIOS BTW)

Are you sure you're setting up PBO in the correct place? If you're in the AI Overclocking tab or whatever they call it, the PBO section there literally doesn't do anything.

Advanced > Scroll down to AMD Overclocking then set it up in there.

This is a classic Asus thing. Two PBO sections, one does nothing. (this is all in the BIOS BTW)

yea, that's the weird part. When I had a 5800X, I was setting it up in the AMD Overclocking section and not "Extreme Tweaker" or whatever they call it. But now I do not have PBO/CO in the AMD overclocking section since upgraded FM and to the 5800X3D. So maybe it isn't enabled on the CH8 for the x3d parts. I thought I read others had it working on this board though.

The 5800X3D doesn't officially support PBO or curve optimizer. When the 5800X3D was released, no motherboards had PBO or curve optimizer as an option with this CPU. This is because the extra cache is very sensitive to voltage changes, and also acts as an insulating layer on top of the CPU cores, creating all kinds of issues when tweaking the CPU for only very minimal performance gains.

But some motherboard manufacturers later added Curve Optimizer and PBO support back into the BIOS for the 5800X3D anyway, without AMD's blessing. If you have one of these boards, it doesn't surprise me at all that curve optimizer and/or PBO would "work" in the BIOS but would still not be available via AMD's official Ryzen Master software. There is a software program, "PBO2 Tuner", that should allow you to adjust your settings in windows if you still want to pursue this further.

Well I didn't clear cmos, but I reverted to previous bios, then updated to newest one again. For some reason I'm having an issue with the LEDs on my board on the newest BIOS. Can't turn them off, there's a green one that stays lit. CO did not show up after flashing twice, oh well. Thanks for the help everyone. The system runs well, so just tinkering to tinker. I'll leave well enough alone. Temps don't go above 65/70 when gaming, so CO probably wouldn't have done much anyways.

Last edited:
I didn't need PBO for my X570S MEG ACE MAX and 5800X3D. Just set a -20 core offset, and while gaming the all core frequencies were always maxed out.

Back