Simple video editing program?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I want a simple Windows program to just make clips from existing H.264/X264 video files, usually with a mkv container. For example, to extract a small clip from a TV show or movie. I want to be able to take the exact section down to say 1/10 of a second. Think Audacity but for video. Doesn't have to be free, but I don't want to pay a recurring subscription. Any recommendations?

I'll see what I was using for paid software, eager to hear what others use too. I liked what I had but its been a while, Movavi maybe? I've used several including that, adobe, DaVinci resolve?

Honorable mentions:
Handbrake is good for resizing and changing format. OBS is good for capturing.

I use 2 programs, Premiere Pro and FreeVideo Editor. FreeVideo Editor is a paid program if you want to cut a clip and not renecode it, but depending on the clip it won't always be frame accurate from the cut.
When I want exact cuts, I'll use Premiere Pro but I will have to re-encode the clip when I export it.
You can try and buy an older version of Premiere Pro so you don't have to sub, or give DaVinci Resolve a try since it's free and pretty much the same as Premiere Pro, maybe better, maybe worse, haven't tried it personally.

this is a link to free video editor,
https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-video-editor.htm

Avidemux.

Of course, you must start a clip with keyframe, therefore you are not free to cut it wherever you want. For freedom to cut anywhere you have to re-encode.

Last edited:
I use VirtualDub2, easy frame by frame cropping, free.
https://www.virtualdub.org/

select everything up to the frame you want to start the clip, cut that.
select everything after the last frame you want in the clip, cut that.
save the video = your clip.

it works on every video I have tried so far.

I use VirtualDub2, easy frame by frame cropping, free.
https://www.virtualdub.org/

select everything up to the frame you want to start the clip, cut that.
select everything after the last frame you want in the clip, cut that.
save the video = your clip.

it works on every video I have tried so far.
Your link goes to the old one that doesn't support mp4,
this is the link to Virtualdub2,
https://sourceforge.net/projects/vdfiltermod/files/

It doesn't want to do a direct stream copy. :(
virtualdub2-error.jpg

Last edited:
I feel rather like a 6 year old trying to help daddy with work problems.
the link I gave was from the help file on my build 44282 which is the current build on the sourceforge page.

I feel rather like a 6 year old trying to help daddy with work problems.
the link I gave was from the help file on my build 44282 which is the current build on the sourceforge page.
the link is to the original version, not to the modified version 2,
you can't find Version 2 anywhere on that page.

1663496725173.png

ok, a 4 year old.

I posted the link to VirtualDub2 since the link you provided only gets you version 1.10 of the original version which doesn't work with modern video formats.
not sure what your deal is, but a thanks would be fine.

not sure what your deal is
a toddler in the subject, trying to be helpful.
thanks to a adult rectifying my shortcomings would seem to be assumed.
I had obviously overestimated my potential helpfulness and so degraded my self image to be more accurate.

the whole 'direct stream' business is unfamiliar to me, is direct access to the data file not available ?
'direct stream' to me implies networky cloud stuff, which I try to avoid.

thank you for spotting my mistake, and correcting it, so promptly.

a toddler in the subject, trying to be helpful.
thanks to a adult rectifying my shortcomings would seem to be assumed.
I had obviously overestimated my potential helpfulness and so degraded my self image to be more accurate.

the whole 'direct stream' business is unfamiliar to me, is direct access to the data file not available ?
'direct stream' to me implies networky cloud stuff, which I try to avoid.

thank you for spotting my mistake, and correcting it, so promptly.
No, VirtualDub2 is good, I used to use the older one but stopped using it since it didn't work with newer formats.
not all programs can do a direct stream copy of a cut clip so that is no biggie, just need to re-encode the file if you get that error.
Direct stream copy means that the file doesn't get recompressed or re-encoded, it's the exact file, ie, codec and bitrate, nothing has changed except the length of the cut clip you are making..

Anyone have experience with CameraBag Pro?

Based on my experience with the photo editor I might just shell out for it without any experience with it. CameraBag is superb for photography.

EnderW
Did you try Avidemux? I've been using it for ages, it is mature and with 2.8.1 it also gained superb audio processing. Has lots of plugins, supportive forum and Wiki pages with plentiful information about its use.

I have had good experiences extracting clips from video files using Lossless Cut. It's totally free and it doesn't re-encode making it pretty fast and obviously lossless. Maybe check to see if it works for .mkv files, though. I have only used it for .mp4,.mpg and .vob

The only downside is that sometimes the clip intervals end up being inaccurate by a few seconds. I would say that 19 times out of 20 it is good to within a second (maybe even the fraction of a second that you are looking for, it's hard for me to say exactly because my clips always begin an end on black screens) but every once in a while it is noticeably off. Also, I have had issues with it merging multiple clips and/or files into a single file. I often just end up leaving the clips created by Lossless Cut in separate file segments and then combine using FFMPEG on my Pi4.

EnderW
Did you try Avidemux? I've been using it for ages, it is mature and with 2.8.1 it also gained superb audio processing. Has lots of plugins, supportive forum and Wiki pages with plentiful information about its use.
Yeah but I’ve learned the big issue is the need to re-encode if not cutting on an I-frame so it’s not a good fit for me

I use Shotcut for my youtube videos and it works very well, I'm happy with it. Best part is it's free and available on windows, linux, and mac.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
Back