The system cannot find the path specified

JoK

Weaksauce
Hi,

My setup has a PC that I use as a file server (running Windows Server 2022), a client PC (running Windows 10) and ZeroTier to create a private VPN.

I have shared three drives on the server and mapped them onto the client using the IP that ZeroTier produces.

I do not use Active directory which means that the user on the client did not appear on the server.

Everything was working fine and I was able to save files on the client into the mapped folders.

However, since yesterday, I am unable to do this anymore. Whenever I try to copy a file or even create a simple text file in a shared directory, I get an error saying that an error occurred and the system cannot find the path specified.

The path is fine because I can browse it in the file explorer.

So, somehow, it appears that the user on the client did not have write permissions.

I looked up the error on the internet and it appears that it is a user permission issue (among other things). Based on this, I created an identical user on the server with the same password and gave full permission to access the shared folders.

Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem.

Then, on the client, I went to add the local user into security and give full control but when I go to Add, I can not see the local machine in the Location.

1715632410650.png

The IP you see above is the ip of the server as generated by ZeroTier. Shouldn't I be able to see the local machine there as well?

Then, I thought of disconnecting all the shared folders and mapping them back again.

I should also mention that I noticed that the server and the client had different workgroups. I changed this and then what happened is that one drive shows all content with full access but the other mapped drive shows just one subfolder. Again, some rubbish with permissions.

I should also say that drive Z is an internal SSD and drive V an external USB drive.

Now, I am stuck and can't save anything in Z.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 1715632939880.png
    1715632939880.png
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • 1715633007737.png
    1715633007737.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
On the client PC (Win10) you wont see the user you created on the server.
Not sure why your seeing an IP for 'from this location'
Id remove the mapped drives from the client, set the username on the server to ClientMap1, set the password, set permissions on the shares to let that user have Full perms.
On the client, go into Control Panel, User account, Credential Manager and click on 'add a windows credential'
Enter the server name, then in the user field enter servername\ClientMap1 and enter the correct password.
Then try to map the drive and work on files
1716046438429.png

On the client PC (Win10) you wont see the user you created on the server.
Actually I have the opposite problem. I can see the user from the server but not the local account on the client PC

Not sure why your seeing an IP for 'from this location'
I'll summarise the setup cause, coincidentally, I noticed something else just now.

I have the server pc and the clients connected on a router.

Then I have ZeroTier running that creates a VPN. This is the 10.147.xx.xx IPs in the pics.

When I access the folder in file explorer using the server name, e.g., \\SERVER-I\Pictures, I have full permissions and can create files

But, when I map the folder to a drive letter in the client P, say to Z and access it like this: \\10.147.xx.xx\Pictures I don't seem to have the right permissions.

I have also removed all permissions from the folder and just added Everyone with full control.

So, do I have to somehow authorise the 10.147.xx.xx network in the server?

I should also mention that I have changed the name of the default workgroup in both PCs

So, do I have to somehow authorise the 10.147.xx.xx network in the server?
Sounds like. I know some servers you can disallow direct access by IP, only allowing access via a certain domain name. I'm not familiar with windows file share server configuration, though.

Create a user where the share is being hosted with full read and write permissions to that directory. Create an SMB share of that directory.

On the client connecting to it, map a network drive (e.g. Z:\) and select "Connect using different credentials". The folder to map will be \\zerotierIP\sharename and for username use the one on the "server" you made previously. You're authenticating with NOT a local username but instead zerotierIP\smbuser and the password you created.

Create a user where the share is being hosted with full read and write permissions to that directory. Create an SMB share of that directory.

On the client connecting to it, map a network drive (e.g. Z:\) and select "Connect using different credentials". The folder to map will be \\zerotierIP\sharename and for username use the one on the "server" you made previously. You're authenticating with NOT a local username but instead zerotierIP\smbuser and the password you created.
This seems to be the right way but with some issues.

Thanks

Back