Water Cooling System Advice

Lockly

n00b
Hi all, I have a kandalf lcs which i was using to cooling my q6600 @3.6ghz, my chipset on an asus striker 2 formula and a geforce 8800gtx and all was fine with cpu core temps never going above 62 ish fully loaded, I have just got another 8800 gtx and water cooled it also but has had an effect of core temps going too hot sometimes hitting 70 causing cores to shut down.The pump in the kandalf is a p500 which i think may not be poweerful enough for the extra resistance and from reading the forums the rad on this is very restrictive using 1/4 pipework. Basically wondering if I would get away with replacing teh rad with a better flow or would changing to a quality pump help, or even replaceing both howver money is pretty tight the now. thanks for any advice given.

would this pump and res XSPC Dual 750 Bay Reservoir & Pump make a difference on the cooling?

What kind of radiator setup are you running? If you are running off a single 120mm, the proc and the two gpus would definitely be difficult for it to handle.

No, he is running the Kandalf LCS system which comes with a 360mm rad.

I had a Kandalf LCS but I only used the case, I put my own w/c equipment in. You can get a MCR360 to fit in the door but you have to be willing to modify it a little to make it work. I know you said money was a little tight so this might not be the best thing to do right now.

Honestly, what I would do, is get a D5 vario pump, (However it only comes with 1/2" barbs so you will probably need some type of reducer) and a better cpu block. You're probably looking at @ $140 going that route. But that radiator should be able to handle both. Maybe not quite as well as a BIP or MCR but it should still do the job pretty well.

the XSPC dual bay res with pump is a good investment if all you're cooling is a small loop... the delivery head on the pump is only 1.8 meters... which is nothing compared to a D5.... so if you want to expand your loop later down the line i wouldnt recommend getting one.

thanks for the replies guys and sorry for the post in the wrong forum. Ye i have been looking at the d5 pump but was just wanting to get some ideas of you guys before i go and buy something that is a waste of money. The system was coping ok before the extra graphics card block so i guess i just went too far. In the future I will replace the rad,cpu block and the pump. I reckon its just too restrictive for the pump to cope as the head pressure on this pump is quite low, so if i was to replace either the pump or a new cpu block it should help?

Start with the pump since it sounds like you have flow issues. The pump on your Kandalf claims 500lph but I'm doubtful that is true. Also, I'm not sure on the Rad it comes with. Yes, its a 120x3, but I'm looking at the external piping wondering how effective that is in cooling vs. internal coils. Also, what block did you use on your 8800GTX? Its possible that if you went with a once piece block it could be highly restrictive in your loop.

I used the Zalman ZM-GWB8800 Ultra/GTX VGA Water Block, reviews said it was a good block but possibly only good with a decent water cooling system lol

I forgot to add that i also have a thermaltake water flow meter and a inline t piece temp sensor, both are 1/4 pipework so i guess thast killing it as well, wonder if removing those 2 would help loads?

Back