Gaming HTPC - Advice needed

Shockey

2[H]4U
I decided it finally time to build a HTPC

Requirement/ What I plan to do with it.

Playing FPS (Battlefield 3, Arma series, GTA 4, COD Series)
Blu-ray movies and other media stored on network storage.

Quieter the better but not a vital requirement....

Software plan to use:

Windows 7 64bit (Already Have)
Windows Media Center or XBMC

Hardware:

Case: Silverstone LC13B-E

Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

Memory: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3

Video Card: XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950

My TV/(Monitor) is a Samsung 37" Spec for PC resolution is 1920 x 1060 @ 60Hz

SSD: Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 120GB (OS & Games)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WDBAAZ0020HNC-NRSN 2TB (Media & Other Junk)

Keyboard and mouse recommendations?? (Will be playing game on my bed using some form of a book as mouse pad :D )

Mostly took recommendation from other threads of what people recommended to them.

So what you all think of my build? Will this last me awhile as far as future proofing?

Budget roughly 1400.

Thank You In Advance!!!

Any high end PC is an HTPC, as long as you don't mind noise in your viewing room and you don't need to limit yourself on price. As long as you know what you're getting into, your build will be fine for your needs Why not stream all your media over your network and keep the blu-ray drive on the media server?

Any high end PC is an HTPC, as long as you don't mind noise in your viewing room and you don't need to limit yourself on price. As long as you know what you're getting into, your build will be fine for your needs Why not stream all your media over your network and keep the blu-ray drive on the media server?

Cause i call it a server, when really it my parents desktop with usb hard drive hanging off of it :D

From what i read more core = better for ripping?

Desktop is a pentium 4 with 1.5 gig of ram.

Yeah, ripping with compression needs more cores, to make the time not too bad. You can always let it run over night, though.

If you want quiet HTPC you must choose case with 120 fans. Your case has:
Front 1 x 92mm or 80mm fan slots
Rear 2 x 80mm exhaust, 2050rpm, 21dBA
Side 1 x 80mm fan slot & PSU vents

It will be loud.

I suggest , for example, Silverstone GD04 , GD05, GD06 with 120mm fans

If you want quiet HTPC you must choose case with 120 fans. Your case has:
Front 1 x 92mm or 80mm fan slots
Rear 2 x 80mm exhaust, 2050rpm, 21dBA
Side 1 x 80mm fan slot & PSU vents

It will be loud.

I suggest , for example, Silverstone GD04 , GD05, GD06 with 120mm fans

All those appear to be micro ATX motherboard compatible. I have a ATX style motherboard.

All those appear to be micro ATX motherboard compatible. I have a ATX style motherboard.

You have an ATX motherboard? I thought this was a hardware recommendation thread. If you want a nice looking HTPC, you're going to need to go mATX. Much better looking cases for HTPC duty with mATX.

I just completed a similar build (and I am using it much like you would). I have mine paired up to a LG 42" 1080p with a Panasonic HTPC speaker setup.. It's pretty darn versatile. I have it hooked up to my PC via SPDIF (digital connection). It is SUPER crystal clear and really lets my bluray movies, gaming experience (as well as my MP3's) really shine! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K69PLE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Intel Core i3 2100
Coolermaster Gemini S CPU Cooler (minor fan 120mm fan mod)
PNY GTX 560ti
ASRock mATX Z68 PRO3-M mobo (but I built my own custom HTPC case)
8 gigs of Gskill DDR3 1333
(2) 1TB drives in RAID0
850w Thermaltake PSU that I had laying around
and I went with this Asus Bluray drive: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=BLK-SBC-06D1S-U-PB-R&utm_source=GoogleProducts&utm_medium=ShoppingSites&utm_campaign=BLK-SBC-06D1S-U-PB-R
If you have a spare 5.25" drive bay (I did not), you can pick up Bluray drives on "The Egg" website for $59 http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=598&name=Blu-Ray-Drives

I say bravo to you and there are many others like us who use their PC's for more than JUST gaming and surfing the web. I look at it more like an ALL IN ONE solution.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just completed a similar build (and I am using it much like you would). I have mine paired up to a LG 42" 1080p with a Panasonic HTPC speaker setup.. It's pretty darn versatile. I have it hooked up to my PC via SPDIF (digital connection). It is SUPER crystal clear and really lets my bluray movies, gaming experience (as well as my MP3's) really shine! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K69PLE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Intel Core i3 2100
Coolermaster Gemini S CPU Cooler (minor fan 120mm fan mod)
PNY GTX 560ti
ASRock mATX Z68 PRO3-M mobo (but I built my own custom HTPC case)
8 gigs of Gskill DDR3 1333
(2) 1TB drives in RAID0
850w Thermaltake PSU that I had laying around
and I went with this Asus Bluray drive: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=BLK-SBC-06D1S-U-PB-R&utm_source=GoogleProducts&utm_medium=ShoppingSites&utm_campaign=BLK-SBC-06D1S-U-PB-R
If you have a spare 5.25" drive bay (I did not), you can pick up Bluray drives on "The Egg" website for $59 http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=598&name=Blu-Ray-Drives

I say bravo to you and there are many others like us who use their PC's for more than JUST gaming and surfing the web. I look at it more like an ALL IN ONE solution.

What you use for a keyboard for gaming? Got any recommendations?

I have everything else picked out already. Finally found a case, went with LIAN LI PC-C32B. 120mm fans in the center. Reviews say it has great airflow

Decided to go with a 1.5TB hard drive after seeing the 2TB go over 250 dollars. :(

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well I would say that my mouse and keyboard choice were freebies.. I didn't buy either one. I had a spare mouse and a spare keyboard laying around as well. The keyboard is a Microsoft Digital Media 3000 (USB) and the mouse is a Logitech G5 (a little older technology that boasts a gaming grade laser). Both work perfect for me so I don't really see a need to "upgrade" those yet.. What do you have your eyes on at the moment? BTW, I like the case you have picked out!

Well I would say that my mouse and keyboard choice were freebies.. I didn't buy either one. I had a spare mouse and a spare keyboard laying around as well. The keyboard is a Microsoft Digital Media 3000 (USB) and the mouse is a Logitech G5 (a little older technology that boasts a gaming grade laser). Both work perfect for me so I don't really see a need to "upgrade" those yet.. What do you have your eyes on at the moment? BTW, I like the case you have picked out!

Considering This keyboard and mouse combo.

Logitech Wireless Combo Mk520

Found mixed results for responsiveness so far...

Thanks for case comment. Newegg just ran out. Only place i can find it cheaper was provantage. I've had horrible experience with them in past. Took two week to find and ship a case fan to me :(

Most likely pull the trigger Monday on ordering here :)

Back