Nvidia to launch 90nm GeForce 7900 GPUs on March 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
is this a new core or just a refresh?

With the crytech demo showing DX10 capabilities, I want DX10 cards.

digitimes said:
Nvidia’s upcoming GeForce 7900 GPUs will have more competitive pricing than the Radeon X1900 from ATI Technologies, the sources noted.

*Sheds tears of joy*

Netrat33 said:

No its not. Its just a refresh. In june nvidia is supposed to release their first dx10 cards based on the g80 chip....8000 series I suppose.

I think they just tweaked the core and dropped it to 90nm.

There have been rumors of more pipes.

Wait and see I suppose. Who's got the popcorn?

StalkerZER0 said:
No its not. Its just a refresh. In june nvidia is supposed to release their first dx10 cards based on the g80 chip....8000 series I suppose.

Sounds more juicy then :)

Netrat33 said:

That showed absolutely nothing of DirectX 10. It was all done on existing DX9 techniques

chinesepiratefood said:
That showed absolutely nothing of DirectX 10. It was all done on existing DX9 techniques

no that was actually the a dx10 demo. They were demoing DX10 not 9.
Which I have a feeling Nvidia will have the first dx10 card and then I'll get that

cant wait to use that step-up.... I wonder what would be a better buy, GT or GTX?

Netrat33 said:
Which I have a feeling Nvidia will have the first dx10 card and then I'll get that

Wouldn't be surprising if nVidia's partners shipped the first DX10 cards, given their history of being first to the show with many new technologies.

digitimes said:
Nvidia’s upcoming GeForce 7900 GPUs will have more competitive pricing than the Radeon X1900 from ATI Technologies, the sources noted.

I have doubts about this. Do they mean MSRP, or street price? I dont think they will go down from a $650 MSRP for the top card, to anything lower. And I dont think the street price will be as low as the X1900XTX, at least not at launch.

Hopefully it does come out in force, and actually available this time. More like the 256MB GTX launch, than the 512MB GTX launch.

robberbaron said:
Wouldn't be surprising if nVidia's partners shipped the first DX10 cards, given their history of being first to the show with many new technologies.
ATi had DX9.0 first?

Borgschulze said:
ATi had DX9.0 first?

True, but Nvidia had SLI first, S.M 3 among other things. ATI has been playing catchup since the release of the 6xxx series cards from Nvidia.

ATI really droped the ball, they had good momentum going after the release of the 9800, but they let that success get away from them... though the x1900 cards have been quite successful as of late.. they've given Nvidia a nose bleed.

It's so tempting to go SLI. Monarch is offering the 7800GT CO SE for 260.69$ plus 20$ rebate. But i mean if you go step-up then you still have to pay the price difference anyway. So i guess it wouldn't matter if i originally paid 335.00 for it if i'm gonna step up huh? Should i go SLI or wait for the G71?!?!

Wow, sooo much processing power, sooo few GOOD games available for it :p

I thought about upgrading my 6800GT, but for what? More frames in my CS:S?

Isaacav2 said:
Wow, sooo much processing power, sooo few GOOD games available for it :p

I thought about upgrading my 6800GT, but for what? More frames in my CS:S?

lol exactly the same with me..but on a x850xt pe

>I think they just tweaked the core and dropped it to 90nm.

You make it sound so trivial to drop the pitch size.... :)

As someone who works in a FAB i can tell you it's a major change that requires significant process adjustments and improvements to change the pitch size.

About freaking time on the prices! I thought $500 video cards were ridiculous, and about passed out when then X1900 was announced to be $650. I wonder if "lower" means $50 less, or down to the $300 range....

dagon11985 said:
True, but Nvidia had SLI first, S.M 3 among other things. ATI has been playing catchup since the release of the 6xxx series cards from Nvidia.

ATI really droped the ball, they had good momentum going after the release of the 9800, but they let that success get away from them... though the x1900 cards have been quite successful as of late.. they've given Nvidia a nose bleed.

well. Nvidia brought BACK SLI to "mainstream"
ATI already had multicard rendering but it wasn't public, or as cool.

sac_tagg said:
I wonder if "lower" means $50 less, or down to the $300 range....

I would say that it is likely to be $50 less than the comparable ATi solution.

jhego said:
Should i go SLI or wait for the G71?!?!

Wait. I'm using eVGA's step up. The main reasons I'm doing this vs. SLI is:

a) less power consumption
b) less heat/noise
c) having "the" best card just appeals to me so much more than having two good cards
d) I love early adoption!

Rishy said:
so...what...Go SLI with my GT's now ? or wait till this is released ?

Wait, you more than likely dont need another GT / wont see enough performance gain to justify it

Netrat33 said:

So....what nonexistent DX10 hardware was running the demo? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back