Nvidia to launch 90nm GeForce 7900 GPUs on March 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow - less than a month.. I think I need to spend some $$ one a dual core before upgrading my video cards... I still have some untapped power left in those. a little at least. :D

Well it is offical god hates me. My last computer I bought 4 years ago I spent 300 getting a Ti4600. There was some rumors that Ati was coming out with a 9700 DX9 card and then the real story was that it was going to be a few months away. Bought the computer the middle of july and by the middle of august the Ati 9700 comes out.

Just got the computer in the sig with the 7800GT a month ago. :(

Im sure there will be one popping up next week sometime.

Then again....I wouldn't be surprised if nVidia is keeping everything under tight wraps.

Leaks can sometimes cause them to lose big money!

roaf85 said:
Well it is offical god hates me. My last computer I bought 4 years ago I spent 300 getting a Ti4600. There was some rumors that Ati was coming out with a 9700 DX9 card and then the real story was that it was going to be a few months away. Bought the computer the middle of july and by the middle of august the Ati 9700 comes out.

I'm building a system like your's next week. I'm probably getting a 7800GT to tide me over until DX10 cards come out. Although the X1800XT seems to be at $399 now.

t3mp said:
So....what nonexistent DX10 hardware was running the demo? :confused:
The non-existent hardware can be emulated in software. How do you think developers write code for systems (such as the PS3) that don't exist yet? Of course there's a performance penalty, but it works.

roaf85 said:

which means you can still sell what you dont want for a good price and add a little cash to it to get a newer card :)

it's not like once you buy PC parts you are stuck with them for life, i never keep mine more than 6 months to a year, and rarely spend much out of pocket at al to get the next newest thing

that 7900 is gonna be nice

BAH! I just pulled the trigger on that Evga 7800GT deal Monarch is running ... and in just a few weeks I'll be tempted to upgrade again. :eek:

nobody_here said:
which means you can still sell what you dont want for a good price and add a little cash to it to get a newer card :)

it's not like once you buy PC parts you are stuck with them for life, i never keep mine more than 6 months to a year, and rarely spend much out of pocket at al to get the next newest thing

that 7900 is gonna be nice

I usually do not upgrade for a year. I can not afford. I could barely afford to get the new PC I have now. College is expensive.

roaf85 said:
I usually do not upgrade for a year. I can not afford. I could barely afford to get the new PC I have now. College is expensive.

whats to afford? usually i can sell my year old hardware for enough, or nearly enough, maybe coming out of pocket $100-200 and get newer faster parts, what are you doing with your old parts? throwing them in a closet?

Yeah something is happening in March, which we all know. I say this, because a advertisment on Fileshack, says the Future of PC Gaming Comes in March. and its by BFG.

Oh man...d50 or 7900 GTX? Gettin a decent tax return this year, would make it easy to snag either one.....

Netrat33 said:
well. Nvidia brought BACK SLI to "mainstream"
ATI already had multicard rendering but it wasn't public, or as cool.

I think what you meant to say was that Nvidia brought SLI back to the public's eye. SLI or Crossfire are anything but "mainstream".

The future eh? Well, if they say "March of 2006" then most likely it'll be the 7900GTX. But who knows... "The future..." could be the PPU :p

Raudulfr said:
Too bad it doesn't do HDR+AA.

That will be rough not to have HDR+AA on ancient old Far Crys beta patch, and Serious Sam2.

On the other hand, it will offset with Vertex Texture Fetch for Pacific Fighters, and superior multi card capabilities.

Superior Multi Card>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HDR+AA

Raudulfr said:
I hear ya.
But nonetheless more eye candy is always good ;)

LOL

Agreed Super AA>>>>SLI AA, and HDR + AA on the couple games that support it is good as well.

As low as the Serious Sam scores are already, I can't imagine very good framerates with HDR+AA though. :(

Rollo said:
LOL

Agreed Super AA>>>>SLI AA, and HDR + AA on the couple games that support it is good as well.

As low as the Serious Sam scores are already, I can't imagine very good framerates with HDR+AA though. :(

Oh well... at least it'll kick some X1900XTX ass. 'Cause their multi-GPU solution really sucks (...dongles?) and I hate it! LOL :D

Queue the 2001: Space Odyssey theme.

Personally, i think the hoopla is about the 85 series drivers. I hope i'm wrong though!

Surely it has to be ageia's physics card.

I am also betting on the ageia... seems very likely! and SHIT!! I have no room for that... arg,,, I wonder if it'll come out in a USB version?? LOL j/k

but really... I am fresh out of room around my pci slots. doh!

Well, I need something to replace this bug filled Extreme Dual 7800GT Card, looks like a 7900GTX is in my future! I just hope we won't be paying $1100+ to get one, like the 7800GTX 512mb was..

The EVGA step-up requires that your current EVGA card was purchased no more than 90 days before you apply for the program right?

Nvidia better launch the 7900 on 3/9, and EVGA better have the option to step-up on that same day, or else I'm out of luck. I think my step-up time end's the 9th. Also, does anyone have an idea as to how much the 7900's will cost?

w00t! March 9 is my birthday, and I'm getting all my unused vacation pay from my current job which I'm leaving on March 10th.

Happy birthday to me!
Happy birthday to me!

well, you get the rest. :p

i dont get why they are releasing cards every other month. the x800 and 6800 series lasted a while

they are honoring the step up to the 7800 GTX 512 on both my 7800 GTX cards.
i was only in the queue for about a week.
hopefully the 1st 512 will arrive early next week, and i can send the second 7800 GTX for the step up.
i was told that they would honor the step up as long as you were in the queue before your 90 days had expired.

Quick specifications for GeForce 7900 GTX:
  • PCIe native
  • 655MHz core frequency
  • 256-bit memory interface
  • 52GB/sec. memory bandwidth
  • 15B pixels/sec. fill rate
  • 1450M vertices/sec.
  • 24 pixels per cycle
  • Built in twin dual-link DVI support for twin 2560x1600 resolution displays

The documents from NVIDIA also indicate that GeForce 7900 GTX will be "twice as fast as previous generation chipsets" in floating-point performance, but it would be difficult to really consider the 7900 series a next generation component over GeForce 7800.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=915

Hmm...

No confirmed board pictures were available at the time of this article but the GeForce 7900 GTX is set to be a dual-slot design.

And this...

NVIDIA does have one trick up its sleeve. In late March, NVIDIA wil also announce a single slot version of the GeForce 7900 specifically for Quad SLI setups. Some manufacturers have suggested that Quad SLI may even become available as a discrete solution -- not just Dell's playtoy.

HeHe... Anyone for Quad SLI ? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back