DFI RS482 Infinity in stock (US)

buzzly

Limp Gawd
Woke up this morning very early and found this email

Dear Valued Shopper:

You had recently requested to be notified when the item,
246504: DFI RS482 INFINITY Radeon Xpress 200 RS482 Athlon 64(FX)/64 X2 Dual-Core/Sempron Skt939 DDR M-ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free 2nd Day***
becomes available again for purchase on ZipZoomFly.com.
This item has indeed come back in stock -- come by and pick it up now!

Click here to go directly to the item page:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246504

Hope to see you online soon!

- The Staff at ZipZoomFly

I promptly ordered myself one. I think I am paying the “early-adopter” premium. Over $100 for a mATX mobo is a lot of money, but what the heck.

edit www.atacom.com has it in stock for $105+ chip (march 5, 2006)

================================================
New Bios update

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/download_us.jsp?NORMAL_BETA_FLAG=B&SITE=NA

Major Reasons of Change:
fix some voltage be hidden if use Opteron cpu.

Must let us know how you get on! I'm interested in the board due to the excellent OCing options but not sure due to it being SATA-1 and its slow USB performance

I will be using this for HTPC. My current setup lack processing power when I want to do ffdshow (video enchancement) on the fly. So a overclock-on-demand setup this DFI board can provide is what I am hoping for. I won't be playing any serious game on this so the (overclock-able) IGP will do the job. I have a Opteron 165 and 144 waiting for this.

Should get good results with the 144 I would have thought.

What memory are you pairing with it?

For now, I only have a pair cheap Patriot value memory for this setup.

Firelord said:
Should get good results with the 144 I would have thought.

What memory are you pairing with it?

Firelord said:
Must let us know how you get on! I'm interested in the board due to the excellent OCing options but not sure due to it being SATA-1 and its slow USB performance

Actually ATI sata - 1 performs just as well and on occasion better then sata 2.

USB performance. Are you going to use it for mainly hooking up mouse keyboard and a single external HD? Then its more then enough power.

If you creating a NAS using USB then use another mobo.

There are other advantages of this mobo that easily outweigh sata 1 and usb lackluster.

Would be nice to have the options for SATAII for future use and I do use USB HDDs alot so would be nice to strong USB performance.

I am gonna give it a go as long as its sensibly priced once it hits UK shores

Firelord said:
Would be nice to have the options for SATAII for future use and I do use USB HDDs alot so would be nice to strong USB performance.

Except the Sata 1 drives haven't maxed out the through put as of yet I think your safe for the mean time.. I picked mine up for 104,000 won (cheap, sure I could go for a tforce but then I would get just better USB, not worth it imho). Waiting now for my qpack to get here..

Firelord said:

The fastest hard drive transfer rate (Raptor 150) is 88.3 MB/s, which is barely over half of what SATA offers! So PLEASE. Enough with that.

It was rumored the USB issue was going to be fixed in a revision of the SB, so it is possible it already has. If the USB issues concerns you, you can buy a USB PCI-E x1 adapter. Give you an excuse to use that otherwise worthless port. Most people could care less.

Biostar is a good board, but there is always room for improvement in the overclocking area.

Real question is stability, because the desktop version of the DFI RX-based LanParty was sketchy.

sleepeeg3 said:
The fastest hard drive transfer rate (Raptor 150) is 88.3 MB/s, which is barely over half of what SATA offers! So PLEASE. Enough with that.

It was rumored the USB issue was going to be fixed in a revision of the SB, so it is possible it already has. If the USB issues concerns you, you can buy a USB PCI-E x1 adapter. Give you an excuse to use that otherwise worthless port. Most people could care less.

Biostar is a good board, but there is always room for improvement in the overclocking area.

Real question is stability, because the desktop version of the DFI RX-based LanParty was sketchy.

I made a previous post about this board. Windwithme from extremesystems forums said this board is one of the most stable boards out there.

unless you plain on having 6 hard drives hanging out of your SFF, dragging the floor, and looking like someone ripped the guys out of it...then you don't need SATA II.

W00T I picked mine up today for 105 dollars.

I also picked up a x2 3800
Enermax liberty 400watt
2 X 1 Gig UCCC DDR500 Ram
Floppy Drive..

Gone run memtest right away my case should be here on monday.

Are you in Korea?

You guys got the first dip in a lot new computer hw.

Wrench00 said:
W00T I picked mine up today for 105 dollars.

I also picked up a x2 3800
Enermax liberty 400watt
2 X 1 Gig UCCC DDR500 Ram
Floppy Drive..

Gone run memtest right away my case should be here on monday.

Not bad boy enough. CPU voltage is adjustable to 1.55v only.

sabrewolf732 said:
hmm, how much vcore does this bad boy give? biostar's 1.7v isnt enough! :p

Wrench00 said:
I made a previous post about this board. Windwithme from extremesystems forums said this board is one of the most stable boards out there.
Ya, I saw that thread. XS tends to overhype everything and honesty is second. I'd wait for some more results, longer term testing and from more configs. It should be good, but DFI's past has been fickle.

buzzly said:
Not bad boy enough. CPU voltage is adjustable to 1.55v only.

I seen 1.8 in the Bios. I thought it was really weird seeing the 1.55 at the top but If you scroll down you will see 1.8

That's good to know. I was quoting vr-zone's review.

"CPU voltage is adjustable to 1.55v. This is a rather low figure for a DFI board though this is quite on par with many of the other brands out there. Very understandable as this is a MicroATX board targeted at the all-in-one mainstream users."

I don't have the mobo yet.

Edit: There is a new (beta) bios available to fix voltage selection hidden when using Opteron.

Wrench00 said:
I seen 1.8 in the Bios. I thought it was really weird seeing the 1.55 at the top but If you scroll down you will see 1.8

Got my mobo this morning. Have to flash to a still-beta bios to un-hide some voltage selections because I use an Opty.

The overclock capability is very good for a mATX board but no better than, say, Biostar Tforce6100-939. I got this mainly to use it as HPTC and immediately I've run into problem of connecting VGA port to a LCD monitor and DVI-D output to my HDTV. It couldn't detect the HDTV (with HDMI port). This is going to suck if I can't fix it. Need more time to work on this.

Also the SmartFan function is quite aggressive as it allows the CPU idle temp to be around 38-40c while keeping the fan speed @ only 1400rpm (I use AMD stock heatpipe HS).

More later.

buzzly said:
Got my mobo this morning. Have to flash to a still-beta bios to un-hide some voltage selections because I use an Opty.

The overclock capability is very good for a mATX board but no better than, say, Biostar Tforce6100-939. I got this mainly to use it as HPTC and immediately I've run into problem of connecting VGA port to a LCD monitor and DVI-D output to my HDTV. It couldn't not detect the HDTV (with HDMI port). This is going to suck if I can't fix it. Need more time to work on this.

Also the SmartFan fuction is quite aggressive as it allows the CPU idle temp to be around $38-40c while keeping fan speed @ only 1400rpm (I use AMD stock heatpipe HS).

More later.

where can i download the beta bios from ? i have the same board that is being sent to me from a friend

hugs

Jen

DFI RS482 is a HTPC (with VGA, DVI, svideo, Component outputs) and a overclock monster rolled into one. I can't confirm any of this yet.

benamaster said:
So what's the advantage of this board over the TForce?

@buzzly:

by equal oc abilities as the biostar tforce, do u mean the best oc'ing tforce? cuz the tforce is a very flakey mobo, look in the tforce oc thread, there're people that can't get past 230 fsb. but if the dfi is of equal oc ability as the best board biostar has to offer, and is consistent about it, then dfi wins.

I can boot into Windows @ 300fsb on both Tforce6100-939 and DFI RS482. I guess I have a "good" Tforce mobo. The only two reviews I have read said DFI RS482 can boot at 320+ fsb. There is just not enough data to prove this particular DFI mobo can consistently boot higher and more stable. But DFI has a very good track record of producing overclocking mobos. I am taking a chance here.

I did read that some Biostar Tforce mobos are flakey. I am getting another Tforce6100-939 and 6100-754 mobos. See how they turn out.

Soymilk said:
@buzzly:

by equal oc abilities as the biostar tforce, do u mean the best oc'ing tforce? cuz the tforce is a very flakey mobo, look in the tforce oc thread, there're people that can't get past 230 fsb. but if the dfi is of equal oc ability as the best board biostar has to offer, and is consistent about it, then dfi wins.

Will the onboard play BF2?

I'm coming from using the onboard from an nforce2 asus socket a and the game refuses to start when i use the onboard. I do plan on getting an actual card but haven't decided if i should get a card now or wait for the dx10 stuff.

I am not a gamer. But the review @ vr-zone said that the IPG can be overclocked to 550 mhz from 300 stock. So at 640x480, Half Life is at 33 (38 overclocked) fps; Fear 42 (50) fps; and Serious Sam 24 (28) fps. At 550mhz, it scores 2100 3Dmark2003.

Calpis said:
Will the onboard play BF2?

I'm coming from using the onboard from an nforce2 asus socket a and the game refuses to start when i use the onboard. I do plan on getting an actual card but haven't decided if i should get a card now or wait for the dx10 stuff.

The nvidia 6100 IGP would be a better choice for gaming.

Barely got a chance to set up the RS482. Some random thoughts:

So far the RS482 proves to have a great overclocker. I have a brand new Opteron 144 and I am priming it at 2.8ghz (311X9) at stock 1.4v, stock HS, Smartfan enabled. I think it can go higher. Partly contributing to this would be the rock solid voltage by the board.

As with all DFI mobos, the memory controller is kind of tricky. I have to move the memory sticks from slot 3/4 to slot 1/2 in order to stop the crashing. I have not touched any of memory settings.

The Lan speed is the fastest I have seen among all the mobos I have.

The tab inside the component output cable plug broke off the very first time I inserted into the port. The accessaries and cables look very cheap. Now I have to email DFI to get a replacement. Hope they will response.

The IGP via VGA port sometimes brink for a second before loading an new application such as turning on ATI's CCC. Not sure what causes this.

I still can not connect my DVI-D port to my HDTV with HDMI port. But that could be a problem between the ATI IGP and my TV. I had great difficulty connecting my ATI 9500 (in another rig) to the same HDTV too. I may have to use Powerstrip to get the right resolution and frequency.

So far, it is a great board but I reserve judgement on the graphic/TV capabilties for now.

my max bootable with the tforce is ~312.. The flaky tforce boards were mostly cured by a couple bios releases.

I am interested in this board tho, I am looking to make a TB qpack for HTPC use, and this board looks like a winner. I would probable pair it up with a 144 I have laying around and some mid range 2x512 kit. Flop 4 300GB HDD's in there and bake@400 degrees for 30-45 mins/or until golden brown.

Results look good so far, keep the info comin guys!

I am priming it @ 317fsb x 9 = 2849mhz now. I am sure it can boot into windows at higher fsb, but I am staying at stock 1.4v.

BTW, the north and south bridges are just warm to touch. That's not the case at all with my Tforce6100.

The Smartfan is not really working the right way, the fan speed is still at 2000 rpm (2600rpm max without smartfan) when the CPU is priming and at 50c.

My other Opteron 165 boots into windows at 300fsb max only, capping it at 2.7ghz. I love both chips. I may pair up the 144 with RS482 for a HPTC and day to day tasks; the Opty 165 with the Tforce for a potential gaming machine... if my wallet can stand it.

PCduster said:
my max bootable with the tforce is ~312.. The flaky tforce boards were mostly cured by a couple bios releases.

I am interested in this board tho, I am looking to make a TB qpack for HTPC use, and this board looks like a winner. I would probable pair it up with a 144 I have laying around and some mid range 2x512 kit. Flop 4 300GB HDD's in there and bake@400 degrees for 30-45 mins/or until golden brown.

Results look good so far, keep the info comin guys!

[LYL]Homer said:
Onboard sucks period. Spend $25 for something better! :p

RX chipset is supposed to have a fair edge in 2D quality, which is the only thing you should be looking for from onboard video...

Sounds good! Drop the multi and put it through the paces - we want to see the limit!

yeah like im excited about this too. im seconds away from getting it along with a qpack. will opterons like the 165 work in this? i know X2's do.

Back