New Tomb Raider Legends

I'm looking forward to it. I guess i was one of the few people who liked Angel of Darkness (at least till you start playing as the guy) and i've always been kind of fond of the games. I'll be picking it up for 360.

Yeh, I want this too, didn't care for most of the sequels but this looks a lot better and if they really have gone back to roots then I'll be happy :)

Dano.

I'm looking forward to this. I'll probably pick this title up later this year when I've got time to play it. I'll probably nab the PC version, unless I buy an xbox 360 this summer.

Lara in a little black dress, nice

Hope it's a decent game, the last couple were duffers

OMG, why? Weren't the originals bad enough? Maybe just for fun, they can keep that awful control system the game had.

I just finished the demo for Tomb Raider: Legends (just came out) and I have to say it's not bad at all. The graphics look pretty good considering I was able to run everything maxed out on my X800XL. They even had 1680x1050 selectable with no hacks... big kudos for that.

The gameplay is very similar to the Prince of Persia series which is a plus for me. It seems like they went back to what made the Tomb Raider series great (well the 1st game at least). There's a couple of puzzles and one of them utilizes the new physics engine the game has. Lara's movement is MUCH more fluid this time. I had no problems using a keyboard/mouse to move around. This game is being released for most of the consoles but this one didn't feel like a total port like the PoP games did.

The demo is short but I thought it was pretty good. I may try this game some more when it's released.

Yea, I enjoyed the demo aswell, nice to FINALLY see a new one since 1 and 2 that doesn't suck.

Though IMO they went a bit too far into "price of persia," whereas I'd like to have saw more adventure/tomb-raider'ish type of finding stuff. Part of the fun imo was snooping around/lookin for hidden items, but in the game it seems like your only/main goal is to merely go from one part of the lv to the next (a la PoP).

The demo was pretty good. Nice graphics, not amazing, but nice. Although I wonder what the disabled "next generation content" is? Bump maps? High res textures? Also the depth of field effect is good, and it uses anisotropic filtering by default... hundreds of brownie points for that!

The only thing I really disliked was the console-style auto targeting. I know you can have manual aim, but you can't run around while doing so. Also the default key binds sucked, spent ages reconfiguring...

phoderpants said:
OMG, why? Weren't the originals bad enough? Maybe just for fun, they can keep that awful control system the game had.

...that was the first thing they fixed.

This isn't Eidos anymore; this is Crystal Dynamics. Soul Reaver much?

I decided just to take a quick look at the demo, but it was so good that I had to play it through. I haven't played all the old Tomb Raider games, but this had a good feel, atmosphere and beautiful graphics, some kind of gloving fairytale movie.

Maybe this is the first proper Tomb Raider game? The previous games had nasty gameplay and too difficult puzzles I never understood. No clue what to do and somebody was all the time attacking from somewhere.

I probably would not buy this game for myself but someone who likes adventures.

Some screenshots of this demo might be found in my Unduhumppa temp directory. GeForce 6600 GT, no anti-aliasing (no need to with (eye) sight (and CRT monitor) this bad).

Man...just played the full version with next gen options on 12x10 with everything maxed including AA. Had a few stutters here and there (very minor) but overall very smooth. This game is beautiful and on par (i think) with HL2, Oblivion, FEAR, NFS MW, etc. Gameplay was great (though shooting was a little cumbersome) and I really look foward to giving up my cash for this game. Bravo

Well my preorder is about to get cancelled.

No way to disable joystick input = constant forward right run from my rudder pedals and I refuse to crawl under my desk to unplug them, yes I'm lazy :)

Dano.

dano said:

No way to disable joystick input = constant forward right run from my rudder pedals and I refuse to crawl under my desk to unplug them, yes I'm lazy :)

Dano.

you do know you can remove or disable the device in windows

dano said:

Dano.

Wow. ;)

Jesus_Faction said:
you do know you can remove or disable the device in windows

Yes, removing the device is going to get me diddly squat except reinstalling it the following reboot, again not an option.

Disabling, yes if I knew which HID Device it was amongst the 9 I have listed I could :)

The main issue I have is that the device has three axis, two of which dont physically exist and windows calibration sets them as X and Y and sets the input to full deflection for both which causes the games to register a forward and left (did I say right earlier?) a simple DisbleJoystick in an ini file somewhere (like Oblivion would be nice) but in the end I edited the registry to set the phantom axis to a calibration of zero, just took a bit of detective work to find the correct keys.

Maybe I'm not that lazy after all :)

Dano.

wow, the demo runs amazingly well on my aging system (4000+, 6800U, 1gig). im getting 35-60 FPS everything maxed, no AA, no "next gen effects, @ 1920x1200.

i noticed the "next gen effects" isnt selectable in the demo, what exactly is this? is this a special feature in the full version or only in DX10? does it enable like higher textures or special effects like HDR, bloom, etc?

Full version. It has higher poly models, better textures, lots of shaders and effects

After I tried Next-gen and compared it to without, I felt the need for SLI

Without next-gen: 40fps

With next-gen: maybe 5fps :( looks twice as good

-----------------
6800GT stock speeds
A64 3500+ stock speeds
1GB RAM

Focker said:
Lazy and not too bright.. disable it in device manager.

Lazy? yes.

Not too bright? How do you figure?

Disabling in device manager is at best a temporary fix, everytime I want my pedals to work I'd need to enable them, and disable them to stop the problem. How is not wanting to use such a repetitive and temporary method not too bright?

I'd suggest taking the time to think it over.

Dano.

dano said:

Dano.

That has to be the saddest thing ive ever heard, really dude, grow up.

Hyperblau said:
That has to be the saddest thing ive ever heard, really dude, grow up.

I'll point it out for you ok? see the smiley? that's there because I'm semi joking. I'm smiling at myself for saying I'm too lazy to get behind my pc and unplug a device. Do you really actually think I wouldn't do so if needed? I was looking for a solution to a problem and didn't particularly want a flood of the inevitable 'Unplug it dude!!!' replies because I was pretty sure there would be a better solution, but it seems my attempt to get that fact across failed miserably. Lesson learnt, I'll use language six year olds can understand from now on ok? or should I adjust it further for you? ;)

Now before you go getting stroppy with me over that please take notice of the Wink, I'm joking.

It's a sad reflection on our expectations these days when the general response to a valid concern with a piece of software is to take the quick and dirty fix route instead of actually looking for a proper and lasting solution.

Dano.

Nuzzles said:
I wonder when the nude mods will be out. Soon, I'd imagine.

How about unlockable easter egg mini-game San Andreas-style??

How about "Stand on the light post beside the pool and lara becomes nude."

That damn EGM april fools code probally wasted countless hundreds of hours for many pre-adult males :p.

Again guys I just finished 11% of the game and all I can say is wow. I had a motorcycle chase and a flashback segment TR1 style in level 2 (peru). This game truely is one of the best out. i hate games that I get stuck on or have to gasp figure something out (i play mostly CSS ok), but this game keeps bringing me back for more. Graphically its a stand out and the screen shots posted dont do it justice. Maybe Ill post some of my own tomorrow. Bravo Crystal Dynamics!

Back