Workshop Evoloution

Defyant

Limp Gawd
With the growing amount of modding work and "one off" custmer mods i finally decided to give the workshop a bit more of a "pro look"

The workshop looks well used and tired...

IMG_7265.jpg

The first thing i really wanted to add was nice monitor setup! and not just one LCD... i wanted at least 2 ...even 3!

I decided on a wall mounted Tri-Mon setup! using just 3 15" LCD's

IMG_4781.jpg

The LCD's were cracked out of the orig casings and layed on the workbench

IMG_4747.jpg

The 3 x 15" LCD almost give a total screen length of 100cm

IMG_4751.jpg

The new 40mm thich plex frame was measured and routed to form a channel for the LCD's to slot into.

IMG_4716.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

To give the screen a "concave" look the top and botten frames are given 2 slight bends.

IMG_4744.jpg

The so they would clamp togther and hole the 3 LCD's in the rounted channels the frames are drilled countersunk and bolted
togther using SS hex heads.

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4757.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

The Ends are glued into place and left to dry.

While the glue does its work... the LCD panels are taken over to have the silver metal boarders painted.

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4763.jpg

The fame is now ready for the LCDS

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4769.jpg

IMG_4777.jpg

To mount the New Tri-Mon mod to the workshop wall large G brackets are cut from 12mm thick plex.

IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4782.jpg

Next is to geto work on the new Work area!

6mm thick sheets of Gloss white plex will be used for the new workbench.

IMG_5030.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

IMG_5034.jpg

IMG_5035.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

Next is to bolt on a mounting system for the screen

IMG_5042.jpg

Finally add the Tri-Mon... the Tri-mon mod runs off an AGP duel out and one cheapie PCI...Ultramon takes care
of the wallpaper.

IMG_5044.jpg

IMG_5045.jpg

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg

Some wire stealthing to do on the mon cables and some stick on plex theme work can be added as i go but this now
gives me a nice clean well lit work area for modding :)

IMG_5367.jpg

IMG_5368.jpg

o_O kick ass

but i have a ?, why is the middle moniter not as bright as the others?

It looks damn nice, great work. Just a question, why not remove the panels from the bezels to create an almost borderless setup between the panels?

dude thats amazing, great job, whats this pc used for though in your garage or basement?\
server?

Personally, I would have made a pvc "channel" in the wall so that you don't see any wires... and that way for the future you can rewire bigger pannels or add things that may requrie wire routing, I would have also strung a usb cable with the montior cables and put on a bluetooth dongle, so then I could use wireless mouse and keyboard, complete the minimalstic look :)

LittleMe said:
It looks damn nice, great work. Just a question, why not remove the panels from the bezels to create an almost borderless setup between the panels?

Same question.

LittleMe said:
It looks damn nice, great work. Just a question, why not remove the panels from the bezels to create an almost borderless setup between the panels?[/QUOTE

Ludic said:
Same question.

can this be done while still keeping the structual strenght of the panel?

I was about to start on a "home-made" version of my 3500 ansi lumens projector and this requires border removal.... but then the LCD panel is just a panel...and my "clamp style frame would surley smash it to bits.......no?

I'll be doing this mod again with another 3 LCD's i have here... so if that idea is possible or practical i'll post an update.

Ockie said:
Personally, I would have made a pvc "channel" in the wall so that you don't see any wires... and that way for the future you can rewire bigger pannels or add things that may requrie wire routing, I would have also strung a usb cable with the montior cables and put on a bluetooth dongle, so then I could use wireless mouse and keyboard, complete the minimalstic look :)

Old idea :( .. Already done mate! the mods actually close to a week old now... [H] was just the last forum for me to post it in.

dt3k said:
dude thats amazing, great job, whats this pc used for though in your garage or basement?\
server?

I'm a modder....... it's my workshop ! as most hardcore modders will tell you ...it's a pain in the ass to have to walk inside to reference ideas or post updates on mods....

The Tri-Mon setup gives me the advantage of being able to browse the net on one mon.... use another while working on a customers PC and have the 3rd as a spare whatever else is needed..... or just run all three one the workshop PC like i'm doing now as i post this...

While i load XP on a customers pc after Watercooling it :D the third mon atm actually has the football being played on it thru a TV tuner card and my teams winning atm 22-0!

Defyant said:
can this be done while still keeping the structual strenght of the panel?

I think you could do it as long as don't "clamp" them in too hard and provide enough support from the top and bottom. It would be extremely bitching to have a boarderless setup.

LittleMe said:
I think you could do it as long as don't "clamp" them in too hard and provide enough support from the top and bottom. It would be extremely bitching to have a boarderless setup.

I'm sure someone will copy and do it for you :)

Nice job man :) That looks really slick - I couldn't have a surface like that though. I'd ruin it in a week :-P

Come on, guys! It's a workshop! Give the guy a break! ;)

I'm jealous, though... How hard is it to keep that plexi clean and free from too many scratches, though?

Novus that thing like CRAZY! That's how. It's a scratch filler for plastic/plexi. It feels like a wax after you put it on. The panel is nice and smooth with no real friction. Good stuff!

Thanx again guys :)

scratches on white plex are for the most part invisable.... the plex is gloss white all the way thru...........

Any surface you use as a "worktop" will get scratches over time...the idea is to just use a surface that masks them best.

Plex is "buffable" and after a good time can be turned over to also double its life...............

so could you enlighten me?

what's this i hear about you doing this for a living? could you clarify?

Thanx again guys :)

stormshadow said:
so could you enlighten me?

what's this i hear about you doing this for a living? could you clarify?

Pm sent mate :)

Back