*Official* DS3 thread

arman01

Gawd
Hey guys, a lot of us have these/are getting these so i thought itd be good to start a dedicated thread to discuss any issues with them.

One problem i have with the Setup in my sig is that when i restart the computer from winXP it does not post...i have to manually turn it off and turn it back on a few seconds later...anyone know why?

any ideas appreciated....also feel free to post your own questions/experiences... ;)

I have the same problem if I use a 7950GX2. If I put a 7900GTX in it, reboots are normal. I wish I knew so I could use the 7950.

I really don't like this board at all, I'm only using it until the SLI boards come out for INtel, ones that don't use stupid heatpipe cooling (I have a LianLi 2000 case). I've had a few memory-related errors in XP and it has frozen at the Windows XP loading screen a couple of times.

verncat05 said:
I have the same problem if I use a 7950GX2. If I put a 7900GTX in it, reboots are normal. I wish I knew so I could use the 7950.

I really don't like this board at all, I'm only using it until the SLI boards come out for INtel, ones that don't use stupid heatpipe cooling (I have a LianLi 2000 case). I've had a few memory-related errors in XP and it has frozen at the Windows XP loading screen a couple of times.

hmm mine is fine stability wise...just this little quirk that annoys the sh*t out of me...

I was just reading around the Xtremesystems forums and saw a post by a guy that said he had issues like this, but raising the PCI-E Freq to 105, fixed it. He said leaving it in auto was bad. I'll try setting it to 105 and reinstall the 7950GX2 when I get home.

Shawn

what programs are you guys using to monitor your temps? the easy tune crashes my pc when i load it.

core 2 duo 6600ES @ 3.6ghz
2gigs Corsair ddr2-800 ram
7900GT
etc etc etc

chickenselects said:
what programs are you guys using to monitor your temps? the easy tune crashes my pc when i load it.

core 2 duo 6600ES @ 3.6ghz
2gigs Corsair ddr2-800 ram
7900GT
etc etc etc

try motherboard manager. just google it to find teh downlaod, im to lazy

bassman said:
I have a similar problem with my X1900XT, but only if I overclock my E6400 above 2.4GHz. I don't get any video if I reboot from XP. I have to turn off the machine to get it back.

I changed the PCI-E freq to 100 with no change. Tried 105 and so far it looks like the problem is better. Stay tuned.

I have everything at stock and see this when I try and use a 7950GX2. I don't beleive that the system is even getting to the bios when it does this. I've tried every trick I can think of, but nothing fixes it, other than using a 7900gtx instead.

I also have a DS3 and a 6300
I had it running 3.15/450 just fine :| rock stable on default V's(except for ram v)
OCZ platinum 6400(4-3-3-8) X850XT PE no probs at all =D
this board is fkin great too bad it doenst have dolby decoder though :<

verncat05 said:
I was just reading around the Xtremesystems forums and saw a post by a guy that said he had issues like this, but raising the PCI-E Freq to 105, fixed it. He said leaving it in auto was bad. I'll try setting it to 105 and reinstall the 7950GX2 when I get home.

Shawn

cool, ill try that...i hope Gigabyte fixes these annoying problems.

guys should i put some common DS3 problems in the OP and solutions so ppl can look at it and ask for it to be stickied?

Digital Viper-X- said:
I also have a DS3 and a 6300
I had it running 3.15/450 just fine :| rock stable on default V's(except for ram v)
OCZ platinum 6400(4-3-3-8) X850XT PE no probs at all =D
this board is fkin great too bad it doenst have dolby decoder though :<

what settings are you using...mine wont boot at 3.0ghz.....i was thinking it my be of my 675 ram running at 850 on the 2.0 multi....any ideas

btw is there a way to lower the fsb:dram multi's below 2.0....?

lozaning said:
try motherboard manager. just google it to find teh downlaod, im to lazy
I couldn't figure out how to make it show the CPU temp, it doesn't support the DS3 so I have to manually find the sensors or whatever that show the CPU temp. I tried to play around but couldn't find the right one.

Can anyone else not get @BIOS to work? Every time I do "Update New BIOS" (NOT through Internet update), it gives me "Can not load ROM image from BIN file. Maybe BIN file size not match." This is for F3, F4c AND F4e. I've had to use Quickflash every time so far.

soki said:
Can anyone else not get @BIOS to work? Every time I do "Update New BIOS" (NOT through Internet update), it gives me "Can not load ROM image from BIN file. Maybe BIN file size not match." This is for F3, F4c AND F4e. I've had to use Quickflash every time so far.

you have to actually download the new bios file, unzip it, and then choose the file f3.bin or watever it is form the @BIOS menu

to get temps use the gigabyte EasyTune aplication...i tried overclocking with this but it messed up my comp...it wouldnt boot, and would continually start and shut itself off in 5 seconds intervals...i had to reset the cmos.

arman01 said:
you have to actually download the new bios file, unzip it, and then choose the file f3.bin or watever it is form the @BIOS menu

to get temps use the gigabyte EasyTune aplication...i tried overclocking with this but it messed up my comp...it wouldnt boot, and would continually start and shut itself off in 5 seconds intervals...i had to reset the cmos.
Yes, I get that error message when I try to open 965pds3.f3, 965PDS3.F4C or 965pds3.f4e.

Also, for some reason EasyTune doesn't work for me.. When I run it, my mouse cursor turns into an hourglass, then nothing happens.. and I don't see ET5SC.exe running my processes list either.

arman01 said:
soki, have you tried the new F4e BIOS ?
I just did it, and I got much better results than the F4c. From 3 to 3.5 on an E6600.

soki said:
I just did it, and I got much better results than the F4c. From 3 to 3.5 on an E6600.

cool ill give it a try...if i dont reply within 30 mins it means the BIOS flash went bad and sent my DS3 to hell.

woohoo it survived...

guys, i managed to fix the issue where when restarting the computer doesnt boot unless you manually turn it off and then on.

Simply raise the PCI-E frequency to 105...... :D

thanks Verncat !!

Does the DS3 still have problems with Raid 0 when an IDE device is being used? Also will it work GSkill 6400PHU2-2GBHZ? I heard this board has problems with Cas4 sticks.

arman01 said:
woohoo it survived...

guys, i managed to fix the issue where when restarting the computer doesnt boot unless you manually turn it off and then on.

Simply raise the PCI-E frequency to 105...... :D

thanks Verncat !!
Glad it worked! It didn't fix it for me, though, when trying to use my 7950gx2. I just got into work and haven't flashed to the latest beta (F4e) to see if that fixes it. I'll be home this afternoon and will flash then and reinstall (for the 20th time!) the 7950gx2 and cross mt fingers.
I did notice, however, that my system is 100% stable now that I did raise the pci-e freq to 105. So, I think it did help.

-iLLuZioN-B18C1 said:
where can i get the f4e bios? i dont see it on the gigabyte website.

You won't see it because it's still BETA. Here is a link to the file on my server.

www.tornlogic.com/1/965PDQ6.F3E

I have a quick question. How do you get into the latency settings of this board? I saw it somewhere here in this forum, but I can't find it. It's like [Alt]F2 or something?

control + F1 in main bios menu

On a different note, I think I'm going to exchange my DS3, I've hit a wall at 395 that is definently the MB. 6x and 1.4v CPU and still hit the wall at 395 FSB. I can boot with ram at 900 using 1:2.5 multipler, but can't even post at 396 FSB at 1:1 with any combination of voltages and settings. I've tried F3, F4C, and F4E bios.

NeoLogic said:
your lucky, i can't even get 333
You aren't the only one it looks like, so I'm second guessing my decision to RMA it because I might get a worse one. I know I can do 380x8, and I guess I could be content with 3.00 GHz but I know there's a lot more in it.

I'm going to RMA mine. There are so many people doing 400-500 with no problem. I can't see getting a board any worse than this one. 9x325 is the only thing it will do stable. (I use the word stable loosely because on Prime95 it might fail after an hour or so) That's even using all the tricks in the book.

NeoLogic said:
I'm going to RMA mine. There are so many people doing 400-500 with no problem. I can't see getting a board any worse than this one. 9x325 is the only thing it will do stable. (I use the word stable loosely because on Prime95 it might fail after an hour or so) That's even using all the tricks in the book.
In your case, I definently would, but I'm not sure it's worth it in my case. I hate the hassle of RMAing stuff anyways.

Does anyone know how to get Motherboard monitor to read the CPU temps on the DS3? EasyTune doesn't work for me and CoreTemp gives me higher readings than I'm used to.

I dont understand the mentality of RMAing a working board. By working, I mean at stock speeds for which the board is sold and intended. The fact that you can overclock only so much and not get your dream OC really does not warrant a return as the board is perfectly fine under stock conditions. Maybe that is just me, but if it wont work at stock then it warrants an RMA.

To get any of these procs to meet the Extreme Conroe clock speed would be pure gravy for me.

My goal is to get my 6400 to match or exceed 6600 speeds. If I do, bonus, if not, stock is fine, especially coming from an A64 3500+ due to a burnt out motherboard (that wasnt overclocked, the NB fan failed)

MrBigglesworth said:
I dont understand the mentality of RMAing a working board. By working, I mean at stock speeds for which the board is sold and intended. The fact that you can overclock only so much and not get your dream OC really does not warrant a return as the board is perfectly fine under stock conditions. Maybe that is just me, but if it wont work at stock then it warrants an RMA.
A average OC isn't the only "problem" with the board. It has a lot of incompability and small quirks about it that could warrant a return. My floppy doesn't work and my ram didn't work at stock, that's enough for me.

Well then by all means, run that RMA. Im only commenting on the OC aspect of it where some are upset they didnt get that uberness they wanted. If your memory doesnt work at stock and no floppy, you obviously have some issues with that board that warrants it.

MrBigglesworth said:
Well then by all means, run that RMA. Im only commenting on the OC aspect of it where some are upset they didnt get that uberness they wanted. If your memory doesnt work at stock and no floppy, you obviously have some issues with that board that warrants it.
I do agree with what you said to some extent. If it's just plain sucks when OCing, even though everything works, I would still RMA it, but in my case, I will probably end up keeping it.

My friend was building a computer with a asus P5LD2 but then the mobo died (or so we think) so he bought a DS3 at frys. Problem still happens. We power it up, my crt monitor clicks like its about to get a signal but nothing happens, we tried another 805 pentuim d and a pci gfx card and still no go. His ram is a g. skill DDR2 800 and I have been hearing problems with this ram and this board. Here is a video if it powering up. Somehow the fans spin wierd.
http://kevincat.com/random/start.MPG
:confused:

actually, my board doesn't work anymore anyway, so I'm not RMAing it only because it won't OC, right now I can't even get it to post. The entire time I've had the board, it would randomly reboot. And when you first fire it up, it would cycle power twice before it would actually POST. Now like I mentioned it won't even post. Something is definitly wrong with this thing, and it's not the CPU and memory, they checked out okay in another board. So my RMA is well justified -- thank you for your concern.

NeoLogic said:
actually, my board doesn't work anymore anyway, so I'm not RMAing it only because it won't OC, right now I can't even get it to post. The entire time I've had the board, it would randomly reboot. And when you first fire it up, it would cycle power twice before it would actually POST. Now like I mentioned it won't even post. Something is definitly wrong with this thing, and it's not the CPU and memory, they checked out okay in another board. So my RMA is well justified -- thank you for your concern.
As I type this, my board will not post and is doing the long beep like the ram is a problem, but I've tried both sticks in all channels plus an el cheapo dell stick I used to boot up the very first time. Before it would just power up and sit there since I have OCZ 6400 stuff that needs 2.1V, but that's not the case, it beeps at me instead. Attempted to clear cmos, jumper, battery the whole deal. I'll check the ram in the dell tomarrow, but I think mine is headed back either way.

OCZ just doesnt play nicely with this board. I had two sticks of PC5400, wouldn't overclock in the BIOS and voltage options wouldnt work (go into cyclic reboot). I swapped those sticks for two Corsair PC6400 sticks and now the machine flies.

Back