*Official* DS3 thread

My DS3 won't take CMOS resets... I tried the jumper and removing the battery, and nothing.

Orayn said:
My DS3 won't take CMOS resets... I tried the jumper and removing the battery, and nothing.
Just use a screw driver to bridge the two pins, it should work fine. If it doesn't, you aren't making the connection, try again. It's tough sometimes, I use a rounded pair of long nose pliers.

I'll try it. My current theory is that since I reverted to failsafe defaults, the CPU isn't getting enough power, so the fan starts, then stops when I try to start up. It basically gets stuck in a reboot loop.

Yeah, the graphics card spins up, the CPU fan starts to spin, then stops. Any guesses on what's wrong?

I'm on my second one and I never got it to work.

I'm using a 7900 GT, 2 gb of some gskill ddr2 stuff and an P4 805. I've tested all the parts in different computers, and they all work fine, so it has to be a motherboard. I can't update the bios or anything, since it doesn't even load. All it does it give me the "Power Error" beep code, regardless of the amount of crap I have plugged in.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Either that or after I plug the memory in it works like orayn's discribed.

Okay, I think I have it figured out. One or two mobo pins are bent. I'll take another look, but I'm fairly certain. I'll post pictures.

hypertek said:
It might, might not. I'm going to say no because it requires 2.0-2.1V. This board doesn't like high voltage memory. I had a pair of OCZ sticks that needed 2.0V and they would barely POST and would never overclock. I switched in a pair of Corsair PC6400 that ran at 1.9V and the system took off.

i;m having some issue after doing the vdroop mod. The droop is gone, but it seems that @ 1.45v+ too much power is being required, and the mosfet are gettings HOT HOT HOT!!. My apogee block is blocking most the the mosfets at the top of the board, and i think that is my problem. My chipset is on water so i know its not that.

right now im sitting @ 3.2ghz stock volts.

Also, this board really doesn't like higher ram voltage or clocks. It boots my patriot 667 llk @ 5-6-6-18 timings @ 2.1v and 1000mhz, but if i try 2.2v it only posts half the time. And here's the weird part, the ram is memtest an prime stable @ 4-5-4-10 2.1v 1000mhz, but as soon as i try and play a game, it crashes. Does it @ 5-6-6-18 as well. Only when i bring the ram down, does it stop crashing. Sounds like this board has some major power output limitations.

Ive tried F2 and F4 bios so far and no change in results.

I

Try putting some heatsinks and even a small fan on your CPU and RAM mosfets. What PSU are you using?

Dumb question, but is there a memory divider on this board? Basically i wanna know if my ram is hitting its limit can i use a divider to run it at a lower speed?

forcefed said:
Dumb question, but is there a memory divider on this board? Basically i wanna know if my ram is hitting its limit can i use a divider to run it at a lower speed?

My understanding is with these new gen boards (965 & 975) you can't lower the memory under 1:1 but I'm not 100% sure.

forcefed said:

Dividers are there, in the BIOS.

How well they work is another story, however. I tried to use different dividers besides 1:1 and AUTO and the board doesn't like that. If you want to test your RAM only use a lower CPU multiplier and overclock the FSB. That way you aren't o/cing your chip but just your RAM.

I am having the strangest issue.

So far I am at 2640Mhz, rock solid in superpi, dual prime and temps stay below 60C, I can play WoW for hours and not have a hiccup.

But, none of the Gigabyte applications will run. Even before I overclocked. I installed EazyTune or whatever that is called and saw my voltage, speed/temps and clicked on the update button as it found a newer version on GBytes servers. Well..instead of downloading an exe file, it downloaded a lot of individual files. Some webmaster overthere has an empty directory that the program was pointing to and there was no way to gracefully "cancel" the installation. Since then, the program will not relaunch, even if I uninstall and reinstall the CD version, and none of the other Gigabyte stuff will run now either.

I just got a pair of 500GB drives that I was going to raid together, but, the Raid "configurer" program wont launch either. Its like it launches for the brief instant you can see a window trace, then it vanishes.

Everything else is stable and fine, but since the failed update of Easytune all Gbyte stuff really doesnt wanna work anymore. Any ideas on how to get things going without having to wipe the drive and start over?

Back