Console vs. pc gaming...

Like most people, I have owned an xbox and I now have an xbox 360. I am going to get a PS3 when they are not 1 billion dollars on ebay. Last night I tried 4 new demos on the 360. I hated them about 2 minutes into it. The only games I have are NFS, most wanted and Saints Row, which I love! I cannot get into any other game at all. Anyone else like this or am I just spoiled by the PC. I cannot get into the control without the keyboard/mouse. What are everyone else's thoughts?

well, I have an xbox and a 360 and a capable PC. for me they serve different purposes...360 is for sports games racing games and if I wanted a platformer (tomb raider or prince of persia) it would have to be on console, as configuring and maintaining a controller on the PC is a pain to me. My PC is for RTS and RPG mostly and if I want a FPS, it has to be on PC as the kb/m is a lot more intuitive an interface to me...

what demos did you try and what did you not like about them? if you like arcade racers, try burnout revenge, its hella fun :)

most of my gaming is on the pc. keyboard and mouse are the norm, but for titles like "prince of persia", i plug in my logitech gamepad. zero configuration has been done with this device (gotta love logitech!).

i bought the controller from best buy 2 years ago, but here's an online seller that i found through froogle:http://www.provantage.com/logitech-963325-0403~7LGTC96Q.htm

hth!

I personally cannot stand to play games on anything but my pc. My kids have an xbox and a 360, and I simply cannot game on them.

I can't stand consoles. I can only game for short periods of time usually (I get bored pretty quickly).. Like an hour max these days, and I like the fact that I can easily go do something else on my PC. Which is something I can't do on a console.

To me, a console is a waste of money. All the exceptionally good games come out on PC IMO.

The Wii is a little different, as it introduces completely new technology and game play, but the xbox 360 isnt worth it to me. The PS3 might be a cool server though. 8 cell processors would be great running linux.

Oh no, not another PC vs. Console thread. I thought we didnt debate that here anymore?

Lets sum it up shall we:

PC Elitist point of view:

1. A keyboard and mouse has better control.
2. PC games are cutting edge.
3. Online crowd is "more mature".
4. Consoles are for fags.
5. Mods are awesome.
6. Hardware is upgradeable.
7. PC users are more intelligent!
8. PC's can also surf the web, use spreadsheets, edit video, blah, blah, blah.
9. Exclusive games (like FEAR).

Console f4nboyz point of view:

1. Consoles are cheap.
2. You can surf the web with them (PS3, wii).
3. They are "more accessible" (with their 13 button, 2 analog stick, and one d-pad controls).
4. PC users are nerd fags.
5. Standard hardware allows dev's to squeeze more performance out of a console.
6. Online community is growing fast (but immature).
7. Brand loyalty is fun!
8. Console games are ready "out of the box" without patches (not so true anymore though).
9. Everything gets ported over to consoles anyway (like FEAR).

Did I miss anything?

Let the flaming begin!!!

that is a great sign for the flamewar! i didnt start this to have the masses fight, i just wanted to know if i was the only one who is really disapointed with consoles. some games are really great, but i couldnt build a library of console games like the binders full of cd's for pc play. i rented from gamefly for 6 months and only liked 2 games..., glad i didnt waste all of money on titles i rented and hated. now, if they could bring back castlevania on the xbox, or even contra, i might get excited. plus, i can't call someone who has a console only a gamer, it just doesnt feel right. i think the defining moment for to be called a "gamer" was being able to change skins in CS 1.x and so on.

TheAmerican said:
that is a great sign for the flamewar! i didnt start this to have the masses fight, i just wanted to know if i was the only one who is really disapointed with consoles. some games are really great, but i couldnt build a library of console games like the binders full of cd's for pc play. i rented from gamefly for 6 months and only liked 2 games..., glad i didnt waste all of money on titles i rented and hated. now, if they could bring back castlevania on the xbox, or even contra, i might get excited. plus, i can't call someone who has a console only a gamer, it just doesnt feel right. i think the defining moment for to be called a "gamer" was being able to change skins in CS 1.x and so on.

it's all personal opinion and the main gripe I have with PC gaming is how quickly shit becomes outdated, anyways have you looked on gamespot for some reviews?

yeah, but they never par up with the experience. I thought I would hate NFS, and the feeling of being chased by 10 cops is one of the greatest ever. I love that game.

All Killer No Filler said:
Oh no, not another PC vs. Console thread. I thought we didnt debate that here anymore?

Lets sum it up shall we:

*SNIP*

Did I miss anything?

Let the flaming begin!!!

How do you expect threads about such subjects to continue without degenerating into a flame war, if you're posting stuff like this?

On topic, from my point of view PC's provide a greater depth to gaming than consoles do, that and the fact that I use my PC for a lot of other things means that getting a console is more or less a waste of money, I understand why others get them though.

i like PC better myself but there are SOO many console games out there for the systems , especially say PS2, that there's bound to be some you like. I prefer consoles for games like dragon quest, your monthly mega man fix, fighting games. I actually like driving games on PC better just due to the fact that they're more complex and expandable and my TV sucks.

Well I've always owned a console and a gaming PC. Some genres really don't exist on the PC like fighting for example. I play genres like fighting, driving, platformers, and sometimes an exclusive third person shooter on console.

On PC I play my more hardcore and serious genres like FPS, RTS, and sometimes RPG. I can't play FPS or RTS on a controller. It just feels wrong. I feel like PC games are just more immersive too. I can pick up a game and just get sucked into it and forget to sleep lol. I think the longest I ever played a console game was like 4 hours straight.

I feel that online is still pretty primitive on consoles. I mean a lot of it is still peer to peer plus there are very few games. If I asked for some popular console online FPS games there's really just Halo 2. While on PC there's CS, BF, Quake, UT, COD, AA, W:ET, DOD, etc, and of course mods. The online community is more skilled and more mature. You don't get as many screaming 10 year olds. There are more clans and gaming communities, and more leagues and tournaments.

Also PC has more originality. PC seems to get revolutionary games while consoles get more evolutionary games. Look at Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty, and many more that were all born on the PC and now big selling console games.

It just depends on what type of games you like.
Of course I can't stand FPS games on console.
On the other hand consoles are perfect for 1vs1 fighting games.
(a genre they don't even make on PC)

Abyss of Borg said:
Also PC has more originality. PC seems to get revolutionary games while consoles get more evolutionary games. Look at Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Call of Duty, and many more that were all born on the PC and now big selling console games.

I really like that line. PCs are revolutionary, while consoles are evolutionary.

It's so true. Computers more or less come up with the concept and have a totally kick ass game that sells well, then consoles make a series out of it.

I think this debate would have meant more years ago when consoles weren't so much like computers. The last console I owned was a PSX. After that I was engrossed in computers. I figured there was no need for me to spend money on a console when I have a PC.

Back then a console couldn't play your disc media. Games were cartridges or special discs. Now you can play DVDs, hook them up to the internet, install hard drives, etc.

You could argue that PCs can be upgraded whereas a console cannot. But now people spend as much time playing as they do trying to hack and mod them. I wouldn't say consoles are cheap, either. Nowadays this argument is like arguing over the same thing. There isn't really any difference now. You can plug controllers into a PC. You can plug consoles into a monitor. Many games come out for both platforms.

I prefer PCs, not only because I don't have the money to buy a modern one, but also because I like to get my money's worth out of everything I buy, and then some. My computer is grossly outdated, but it works for me. I've never been able to afford the latest technology.

'Eh, I like using a keyboard and mouse a lot more than a controller. I feel like I have more control over what I'm doing, and controllers are limited. It's kinda like driving a manual, which I love.

Since I mainly play fps and flight sims, I have to give the pc the nod.. Consoles have their place.. They are just not for me and the games I prefer to play..

I'm interested in the games I see on both so I'll buy what I want and what I need to play them.

I flirted with the thought of a console, simply to be able to use my 55" TV for it. You know, big screen gaming.

I've checked out PC games on it via S-video (the only option with this set, several years old) and they're not crisp enough.

Also, can't the 360 and the PS3 both be used to watch movies in their respective HD formats? I'm a big HD fan.

I'm the Dude said:
Also, can't the 360 and the PS3 both be used to watch movies in their respective HD formats? I'm a big HD fan.

It looks like the PS3 with be able to play blu-ray discs out of the box, while the Xbox 360 needs a separate HD-DVD player. The end cost for both systems will be pretty close.

What an amazing idea for a thread you had! :p

Kidding aside for PC the last couple months haven't had much that peaked my interest. All I know is my next game is gears of war. I wish quake wars was coming out soon. I can't play the BF2142 demo so this shooter fan hasn't bought one in a long time either.

If you ask me, there has only been a handful of PC games I wanted to play over the last few years. Hardly worth spending $400 on a video card that will probably only play games for the next year decently.

Last video card I bought was a 6800GT (which I still use). Love the COD series but COD2 plays like crap on my PC. This is ridiculous since the game came out only a year after I bought the card. I thought the patches might have helped but they have done nothing other than adding punkbuster. I hear Oblivion plays terrible too but luckily I can get it for Xbox 360 and it works just fine.

And for the guy who posted the image, FEAR just came out for the Xbox 360 and it runs a hellava lot better than it does on my PC. I won't be spending big bucks on video cards anymore. I figure my next one will probably be in the $150 range since it seems I will be playing low resolution, low detail in a year anyway. Why not start now and save $300?

if PC technology didnt develop so damn quick and wasnt so damn expensive then i would just stick with PC gaming but it isnt which is why i also own a xbox 360,currently waiting on Gears of War which i preordered ;)

Well after Gears of War comes out i'll definitely be more of a console gamer. :cool: I enjoy both for what they are. PC is more for the enthusiast....Console is generally more for the casual gamer...although the Console community has a more polished feel to it......the PC community is too drab and it feels hit and miss....the interface for LIVE is a good example of how an online gaming community should be handled.

For me a kick ass PC and a console can coexist.I have a 360(4 months now)and game on my PC mostly.I games come out for PC and 360,the nod goes to the PC version especially if there is WS support.360 is games I cant get on PC..I dont understand the whole !!!!!!/flamewar thing as both platforms have pros/cons..Just shut up and game on!! :D

For me, my PC hasn't been used much for gaming since I got my 360 back in July. I think im just tired of the whole tech ring around the rosey game with PC gaming and upgrades. PC developers just arn't pushing the envelope anymore to warrant me spending big amounts on PC upgrades.

to the original poster -

Please try Kameo...It's the best console game on Xbox360.

Also Try Fight Night Round 3, almost as good or better according to some.

If you are a long time PC gamer like me, those are the ONLY two Xbox 360 games I love so far, and I've had mine since launch day, and tried nearly all the titles(at least in demo form)

Thing I find depressing about consoles is that you pay a fair whack for the hardware when it first comes out and quite a lot more on each game. But typically most of the games out within the first 6 months of the console show the limits of whats possible with the hardware, and in 3-4 years time you're still going to be playing games of this quality, while PC gaming has evolved 2-3 generations.

Now you may not necessarily be able to run the new visuals well but as always PC games scale well and you can alter resolution and many other video settings to trade off new effects.

It's a bit of a financial pinch buying a new video card every 12-18 months (which I tend to do) but being on the forefront of graphical innovation is really fantastic from a gamers point of view and we get to see jaw dropping games like Oblivion push the envelope every year or so where as consoles only enjoy that once every 4-5 years which is.

Plus in a few years time we can revisit games like oblivion, download all the high res texture packs, shove HDR on with 8x TSAA and 16xAF at 1920 1200 and just stand back in awe of much nicer it looks with all these effects turned on/up.

Besides by the time you're into your 3rd or 4th year of buying games for a console the price difference across all the games combined (compared to a PC) is going to account for a lot of money (depending on how many games you buy)

*edit*

For example, in the UK the cheapest place for games/media etc is almost certainly www.play.com

Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent (Xbox 360)
In stock.
Usually dispatched within 24 hours.
our price: £37.99 Delivered

Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent (PC)
In stock.
Usually dispatched within 24 hours.
our price: £24.99 Delivered

Thats a difference of £13 for a brand spanking new release for both PC and Xbox360

that £130 difference of 10 games. How many games does the average gamer buy in a year, maybe 30? (complete guess) so thats £390

Thats a brand spanking new, top of the line, flagship video card such as the 7950GX2 (mine cost £375 actually)

I'm fairly certain that if you buy a significant amount of games 30+ a year then you could maintain a top of the line system with a refresh of about 18 months on the difference in the cost of games alone.

When you factor in the potential uses of the PC for things other than gaming it starts to make a lot more sense, for example with a nice large monitor I don't need a TV, another saved cost, in fact this doesn't take into account the cost of a TV or more appropriately a HDTV for the use with a console (which you may or may not already have)

Call me crazy, but I prefer consoles 90% of the time. Sprawled out on my couch with a drink and/or food while playing a game is so much nicer than sitting at my computer.

I guess I could hook my PC up to my TV, but I'm too lazy for that.

TheAmerican said:
Like most people, I have owned an xbox and I now have an xbox 360. I am going to get a PS3 when they are not 1 billion dollars on ebay. Last night I tried 4 new demos on the 360. I hated them about 2 minutes into it. The only games I have are NFS, most wanted and Saints Row, which I love! I cannot get into any other game at all. Anyone else like this or am I just spoiled by the PC. I cannot get into the control without the keyboard/mouse. What are everyone else's thoughts?

I feel the same, I cant play FPS on xbox360 or any shooting game. few minutes into the game i get sick, and dizzy because you dont have that great controll of your self, thiers also a delay of the joystick which could be fixed by upping the sensitivity but its not the same as if you are using the mouse. your jsut to used to using WASD to move around and space bar to jump and thats how i feel. I mainly use the 360 to race, madden, something that would include at your house multiple players in one system.

I've been a console and pc gamer for years. I love both equally. I use my consoles for the games i cant get on PC. Simple as that. Which do i prefer? I couldnt say. I like Japanese RPG's which the PC has VERY few of. I rarely play online games so thats another minor advantage the PC has gone. I loved Halo on Xbox, but hated it on PC. Why? coz i got used to playing it with a pad. All this bullshit about how the PC is greater coz it has mouse and keyboard is purely subjective. I like the Halo games. I like the Halo games with a pad. With a mouse and keyboard, sure its more accurate, but its not balanced to be played that way. Simple as that. Halo PC is much more fun played with an xbox pad. Plays just the same. But i still prefer the xbox version.

I have a 360 and love PGR3 and Saints Row. But i dont have hardly any other games because i have a nice PC and a lot of 360 games are cross platform. So i can have the pc version of a game for half the price.

In any case. This is not Console vs PC gaming. Its more Gamepad vs Mouse and Keyboard.

Here is a list of which i prefer.

Racing games : Console, better precision with a gamepad. Not buying another wheel after my MS Force Feedback wheel broke my collarbone.

Shoot-em-ups: Console, coz there are hardly any on PC anyway.

Beat-em-ups: Console even though i dont really like em.

RPG-em-ups: Equal. I love Japanese RPG's which are more dominant on Console, and also Western RPG's which are more predominant on PC's

FPS-em-ups: PC, coz yes, mouse and keyboard wins over gamepad ALMOST everytime.

Puzzle-em-ups: Console. Obviously

RTS-em-ups: PC, and my graphics tablet beats the living SHITE out of a mouse by a fecking mile.

Simulation-em-ups: PC obviously. Since there are more out for the pc anyway.

Platform-em-ups: Console. Since there are more out for console anyway.

When it comes to the whole console vs PC debate, there is so much to consider. I'll take both.

BUT i have seen a growing trend with BOTH formats. Never used to have to patch console games before. Hardly ever any bugs. But with the advent of xboxlive and hdd's in consoles, we are seeing lazy developers and shitty buggy releases. PC's are even worse. There is almost ALWAYS a patch available even BEFORE the game is released!!!!!!!. What in ALL FUCKING BALL SUCKING HELL is THAT all about????????.

I'm losing my faith in BOTH formats. I may, and it might sound to some like drastic action, but i MAY just have to go out and get laid instead of either! :eek:

consoles will beat PCs eventually

the companies will stop being fucking retarded and let people use a keyboard and mouse on a console... seriously... MS should let that happen on the 360, but they are juts being retarded.... but *anyway*...

once HDTVs become more widespread and things like RTSs become more doable on a console (with keyboard+mouse of course), the consoles will definately win over the vast majority of PC users...

its just common sense... they are cheaper, easier to get into...

and if the major console makers allow keyboard+mouse usage, they offer all the complexity the PC can offer....

I'm honest enough to admit that my PC gaming addiction is absolute, pure habit. Simple as that. I started off with a C64, went from there gaming wise to my modern A64, all purely on keyboard. Joysticks, steering wheels... nah, never bothered. I could probably get by with a $300 budget basement PC and a 360, IF (and that's a big if) I could live with the 360, longterm.

I've spent... maybe two hours total in my life gaming on consoles, entirely at other people's houses.

I've never, ever developed the finger-habits to game even incompetently with a gamepad, be it either SMS2 digital, or PS2 analog. Or the mind-habits -- gamepads feel eerie to me, bizarre, like sex in latex wetsuits or something. Other people might love it, but it feels unnatural to me.

I've got a PS1-style USB controller kicking around somewhere. I spent ten minutes playing King of Fighters with it after purchase. I just couldn't get the hang of it, and so went back to arrow-keys-ctrl-alt-shift-space.

We're all creatures of habit, folks. Subjectively, past habits affect current beliefs and desires, as well as objective things like money and technical statistics.

I've been an avid pc gamer since 1992, and have recently jumped ship completely into my Xbox 360. I have no plans on upgrading my 2 year old pc any time soon, nor when DX10 games hit.

I am tired of spending all this money on pc upgrades just to game at decent framerates. The PC I have now will do everything I want it to for quite some time. No need to upgrade at all. I already own a 61" DLP HDTV, so for $399 for my Xbox 360 I got all the gaming upgrades I need.

I speak solely for myself when I say ...

Xbox 360 > PC
(overall price, comfort, dependability, and fun)

Signed,
EX pc gamer

theNoid said:
I've been an avid pc gamer since 1992, and have recently jumped ship completely into my Xbox 360. I have no plans on upgrading my 2 year old pc any time soon, nor when DX10 games hit.

I am tired of spending all this money on pc upgrades just to game at decent framerates. The PC I have now will do everything I want it to for quite some time. No need to upgrade at all. I already own a 61" DLP HDTV, so for $399 for my Xbox 360 I got all the gaming upgrades I need.

I speak solely for myself when I say ...

Xbox 360 > PC
(overall price, comfort, dependability, and fun)

Signed,
EX pc gamer

this is some wat true but the 360 doesnt offer everything a gaming PC does...

Signed,
Console and PC Gamer ;)

Back