Intel Dual Core VS AMD Dual Core

Alright guys, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and I could really use some help here.

My brother is a hardcore AMD fan and has never bought an intel processor before. I have had 2 Intel processors in the past, both of them I was not as excited about as I was when I compared it to my brothers AMD's at the time. I have been doing a little bit of research and listening to opinions from different sources on whether to go the Intel dual-core rout or with the AMD X2 dual-core. From what I have seen so far the Intel dual-core looks like it is a much more capable processor for gaming. In the past Intel has been known mainly for use with general applications, but it seems like it has been making a big gaming debut lately. So heres the deal, I like to play games like Battlefield 2142, Counter-Strike, World of Warcraft, etc. basically games that require a whole lot of bang to run. My friend just upgraded his AMD 64 processor to a E6600 dual core and has been telling me what a world of a difference it is for him. My brother who I mentioned before says to go with AMD. If I go the Intel route I would be getting these accessories for it:

Vid Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102022

Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115003

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145590

Mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131142

The particular AMD models I am comparing it to is the AMD dual-core processors (x2).

And like I said I am a big gamer so I need a computer that can handle the next-gen games that are either out/coming out.

If you read this post and can give me some professional opinions they would really be appreciated. And if you have any suggestions about something that I could possible swap out in this setup (I.E. Processor/Mobo/Ram/Vid Card)

I read over a few threads in different forums and people said that with the E6600 which is what I would buy, that you can overclock it smoothly to 3.5ghz!

I thank you for your time and whatever you can help me out with.

Thanks,
Evan

You really cant go wrong with the Intel core2duo right now. You could even save some money and get the e6400, 3.2ghz is easy with that(3.4 probably). I have an e6300 and 3ghz was very easy, but i just have some cheaper gskill, and its holding me back now(cant unlock ram,lowest is 1:1). Almost all the benchmarks show that c2d beats the x2's in benchmarks, espically games. This is my first intel system in years(had 3000+ before this, and tbird before that), and ive been very happy with it. Theres no reason to play !!!!!! either way here, just look at the facts and the decision is easy.

You have the making of a solid gaming PC there. The E6600 will definately dominate anything that AMD currently has including the FX-62. The only change I would make would on the Ram, I would recommend going with the G Skill PC@-6400 HZ Ram. It has way more potential if you plan on overclocking .

I really appreciate you suggesting a different kind of ram, I did not have my mind set on that, I just thought that Corsair was a good company so I was going to get that, but I am currently changing it to that gskill kind that you said. Do any of you guys think I should go with SLI video cards? and also what case should I get that will keep all of this cool?

is this the memory you are talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

I'll keep it simple....

go Core 2 Duo (Intel) . <-- thats a very large "Period"

DualCoreOrAMD said:
I really appreciate you suggesting a different kind of ram, I did not have my mind set on that, I just thought that Corsair was a good company so I was going to get that, but I am currently changing it to that gskill kind that you said. Do any of you guys think I should go with SLI video cards? and also what case should I get that will keep all of this cool?

is this the memory you are talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231065

Thats the one ! From research i've done on it, it seems to be very reliable ram that wont hold you back when OCing due to the use of the Micron chips used. As for going SLI, it all depends on what your budget is, if your going for the best i'd have to say 8800 GTX SLI.

I thought that SLI meant 2 video cards? or is that something else? That 8800 GTX SLI is 800 bucks just by itself, I wasn't really going to spend that much on a video card. Also, I DO plan on overclocking the E6600, as far as that goes, I have heard it can go up to like 3.5ghz and still run smoothly? Does anyone know what kind of settings I would need to achieve this?

Another thing is, I don't know what case to buy for this setup. I was looking at the Zalman Fatal1ty, but it just seems a little expensive for just a case. I wanted one that is quiet, but it will still be able to be overclocked ALOT. If anyone knows of a case like this, please send me a link, oh and I'm not trying to spend over 200$ on a case!! :p

AMD still makes great processors. It's just that right now, nothing in the AM2 X2 line can touch the Core 2 Duo in terms of price/performance, especially when you factor overclocking into the equation. Look up any review, it's not even close in most benchmarks.

To be able to achieve a 3.5ghz overclock you must have some good cooling. As you'll most likely be sticking with air, the top recommendations would be a Tuniq Tower, Scythe Infinity, Freezer 7 Pro or Zalman 9700 HSF. I'm sure anyone else here would recommend any of these. As far as cases go, I have no knowledge of cases that I can recommend. Except for the Silverstone TJ09 that has received positive feedback from members here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1080113

i dont understand this amd/intel fan thing. if he was an amd fan, and the latest amd cpu was a piece of dog turd with 940 pins on it, would he buy that instead of an intel? its the same thing. only the amd dual core is not literally a turd only figuratively, and only when compared to a c2d. clock for clock the c2d is a better cpu, and currently many of the c2d line can run 3200mhz and up on air and stock vcore, unlike the current amd line.

holy crap, i got my hz in june for $209 i think it was. is all ddr2 increased by 33%, or is this just a micron d9 thing?

vanilla_guerilla said:
i dont understand this amd/intel fan thing. if he was an amd fan, and the latest amd cpu was a piece of dog turd with 940 pins on it, would he buy that instead of an intel?

Unfortunately I know many AMD guys who would. Seriously.

Unfortunately, all ddr2 ram has increased by a lot in price -_-'. One thing that ppl have been touching on but haven't said bluntly.. is... a similarly priced amd x2 dual core cpu will not be able to outdo (especially when overclocked) the e6600, right?

as for a case, I'd recommend antec p180 or p150(if you want a quiet comp w/ suspended hds). The p180 is very tall though, but has extremely good airflow if I recall.

btw, crossfire is for ati and sli is for nvidia-based cards. I believe most people buy this for:
a) buy one crossfire/sli and sli-it-up later when your video card can no longer handle the new games
b) buy 2 of the best vid cards and sli it up to get the best performance video processing power possible

I think you're gonna fall into category a)... which is like future-proofing your comp on the vga portion... buying sli will just let u tack in a second vid card, of the same (exact) type, at a later date to boost performance.... b/c that same vid card will be cheaper later on.. and being able to sli them together just means u can save money later on instead of replacing the video card all together.

thank you very much for taking the time to explain that to me bad, it makes a whole lot more sense now!! :)

So If I decide to go SLI / Crossfire, is my card compatible with that? the ATI X1900 ?

Or is there a different ATI around the same price range that I should buy?

Also, guys I still have not decided on a case to buy, does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at the Thermaltake armor, but I still am not sure which one to get ! :(

vanilla_guerilla said:
i dont understand this amd/intel fan thing. if he was an amd fan, and the latest amd cpu was a piece of dog turd with 940 pins on it, would he buy that instead of an intel? its the same thing. only the amd dual core is not literally a turd only figuratively, and only when compared to a c2d. clock for clock the c2d is a better cpu, and currently many of the c2d line can run 3200mhz and up on air and stock vcore, unlike the current amd line.

holy crap, i got my hz in june for $209 i think it was. is all ddr2 increased by 33%, or is this just a micron d9 thing?

I think 940 was the wrong example. 940 is an awesome socket :) I think you should have used socket754 as your example

You card doesn't seem to be crossfire compat... crossfire compatible cards will say crossfire in the name usually.. like ati 1900xt crossfire edition or something. Cases are really hard to recommend.. I think it's mainly what kind of look you want to it... I'd just recommend a brand-name case that uses all 120mm fans and has screwless design. Also.. make sure your power supply is going to be good enough for this system... It'd suck to have such good parts only to be ruined by an unstable power supply...

Dont mean too hijack this thread, but can anyone tell me if the microsoft dual core patch is for AMD only or is it for the duo core 2's, the extreme 6800 too be exact, thanks.

vanilla_guerilla said:
iir, it is called the amd dual core patch, so there you go.

I thought so too till i seen a few guys say they installed the patch when they had intel duo cores, i thought i was missing something.

Back