best anti-spyware?

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
i want a good anti spyware software, can someone recommend to me any ?

I have found that no one package is a silver bullet. I use a combination of Spybot S&D (With imunization), SpywareBlaster, and Windows Defender for most of my clients. I also instruct them to use FireFox. That significantly reduces their infections.

so firefox is more secure than Internet Explorer ? boy oh boy! :eek:

About what i use

Ad Aware SE Personal
Spybot Search and Destroy
Firefox 2.0
CCleaner
Windows Defender
Zonealarm Firewall

Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Spyware Blaster
CCleaner
Windows Defender

I use all of those along with Mozilla Firefox and I never have any problems with Spyware. Aside from Defender, none of them run in the background so it doesn't slow down the computer.

hmm... nothing is perfect, INDEED !! so the key is to use more than one anti-spyware?

not really, it just helps, some times one program may not get everything, so more then one can help keep your computer clean.

hmm... nothing is perfect, INDEED !! so the key is to use more than one anti-spyware?
The reason I use Spybot and SpywareBlaster is that they load a blacklist into IE and FireFox. This will help prevent users from accidentally connecting to something bad, like malicious ActiveX sites. Then I use something that provides resident protection like an anti virus program, hence Windows Defender.

ok, i´m gonna download them all and search for the best combination... chances are i´ll leave them on installed, hehe. i´ve seen that the Spybot S&D "inmunizes" the computer but that works for both Internet Explorer and Firefox or just one of them?

Based on peeps opinions. There are lot of good programs out there, whatever fits you and your likes. I use Symantec Coporation Edition, Ewido (AVG), and CCleaner.

so could you get a relatively good protection with "free" anti-spyware? or for better protection a small "investment" has to be made?

so could you get a relatively good protection with "free" anti-spyware?

Yes, and as you've seen, most of what's been recommended is free. Try a combination of the linked programs and I think you'll see they all work rather well. And with Ad/Spyware apps, unlike anti-virus programs, you should always use a combination of several different programs, as some will pick up things that others miss.

I use:

Firefox 2.x with adblock

spybot search & destroy (updated and immunized and run periodic scans)
ad-aware (updated and run periodic scans)
spywareblaster (updated and enable all protection)
ccleaner (latest versions w/o installing yahoo toolbar)
superantispyware (more of an extra scanning tool and I don't leave running in the background)
avast! (keep updated and set everything to low protection except for email)

and I run my network behind Endian home grown appliance running Dansguardian (with latest blacklist from urlblacklist.com incorporated) with spamassasin tagging my incoming email that Thunderbird (with its own spam detecion automatically sends to junk folder) and clamav scanning incoming email only as it tends to corrupt downloads sometimes

i use norrtons AV Corp 10. its catches and cleans spy ware.

I noticed someone said CCleaner. I would advise caution with that. its a great app and will clean your rig but if you dont understand what its doing its advanced options can really jack legit apps on your PC. yes that is from experience playing around with it and played with it strait into a BSOD. Great app though.

so can i run the "scan" on several appz at the same time? would that make some kind of a conflict ?

so can i run the "scan" on several appz at the same time? would that make some kind of a conflict ?

Just run one at a time to avoid possible conflicts.

Oh, and I have never fucked up a system with CCleaner.. just leave the advanced settings alone if you don't know what your doing, and you won't have any problems.

a very cheap way to secure your system is to make a restore checkpoint before you get online, and if u get some spyware just restore your system and delete the EXEs and the cookies manually, but that is a really crappy solution ! :rolleyes:

it will just make your computer come to a crawl possibly ..and if both detect the same stuff , the app that goes to delete it secondly might give you an error saying that it couldn't delete the file or that it can't find it , not a big deal. (thats running both an ad-aware and spybot s&d and super anti-spyware at the same time ..don't know about others)

a very cheap way to secure your system is to make a restore checkpoint before you get online, and if u get some spyware just restore your system and delete the EXEs and the cookies manually, but that is a really crappy solution ! :rolleyes:
Wow, that is so wrong... A restore point on only contains a copy of the registry and some system files. It doesn't backup the program files. Plus, any good virus/malware can get around it.

usually virii hide themselves in system restore files and can't be removed unless you disable system restore ..of which I always did in xp and used erunt to back up registry

I use IE7 with no spyware problems at all. Honestly don't visit shady websites and don't run under a Admin account and you should never have to worry about running 17 applicatiosn to remove spyware.

yeah the thing is that i only used windows for gaming and not for internet surfing until recently, I only use the admin account, guess i´ll have to start a new account WITH a passwort !

put a password on your adminstator account too, as well , also

90% of peeps out there don't ..which makes it easy for me to fix peeps computers that are brought to me with .."My son put a password on our computer and now we can't get into anything!!!"

I like SpySweeper, it found a few things ad-aware and spybot didn't. Even better that i got it free from my college.

Wow, that is so wrong... A restore point on only contains a copy of the registry and some system files. It doesn't backup the program files. Plus, any good virus/malware can get around it.
You are correct Morfius. A system with a restore point is nice if you mess up a program, but it does not remove any type of malware. Malware actually likes to hide in there as if you try to remove it, it has its blanket of protection. Thanks Microsoft! :) :mad: :rolleyes:
I use IE7 with no spyware problems at all. Honestly don't visit shady websites and don't run under a Admin account and you should never have to worry about running 17 applicatiosn to remove spyware.
I have not used IE since FF 1.0.5 so I do not know how well it stops ad-aware. Even "normal sites" like myspace and facebook carry the bad tracking cookies. I hate those types of cookies!

but ewido anti-spyware is now AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 ! FTH?!?

do i need to keep the programs running or after i used the immunize button i can close them?

I use SpywareBlaster for it's automatic blacklists for IE & Firefox, and then just clean up once a week with the combination of Spybot and Ad-Aware. This combo has done exceptionally well for me for quite some time. The combination of Firefox and SpywareBlaster's blacklist has kept my Windows machines spyware free, usually just a couple tracking cookies per week that are pretty negligible anyway.

Pay version? Spyware Doctor (www.pctools.com).

Some people like Webroot Spysweeper, but I find it kind of unstable.

Be advised there are issues with Vista at this time.

You don't have to go to bad sites. Several Ad Engines that even the big sites use are known for pushing spyware as a drive-by.

Spyware Doctor catches these before they get a chance.

change your dns servers to OpenDNS

[F]old|[H]ard

Back