best anti-spyware?

Another vote for Sandboxie, Ive been using if for a few months and the best part is if you then want to keep files downloaded, then you can pick and choose which files are kept.
And it's free fro 30 days, but after that all you get is a request to pay when you start up, still keep all functionality.

change your dns servers to OpenDNS

OpenDNS is slow I tried that once.

spywareblaster and spybot immunize for preventitive measures
adaware
superantispyware
and hell throw in windows defender.

ThreeDee said:
change your dns servers to OpenDNS

YARDofSTUF said:
OpenDNS is slow I tried that once.

And there also has been some security issues with OpenDNS... also some suspicion that has arise regarding its owners...who used to be heavily affiliated...... with ad companies :rolleyes: . I'm not going to be using it any time soon.

I tried OpenDNS once..lasted about a week...found them waaaay too slow.

First thing I run on an infected system...CCleaner. Deleting hundreds..or even gigs, of junk files will cut back scanning times by a huge margin.

SuperAntispyware...I keep a bunch of the common tools on my USB thumbdrive...but over the past 6 months or more...the one I found works best...and thus is the first one I reach for...is SuperAntispyware. Based on many many many many many times of using all these apps over time....I've found this one to remove the most, and remove even the very stubborn ones. Install, update, run thorough scan.

Spybot Search and Destroy...I still use this one...install, update, immunize, scan. Remember every now and then...when you update it..to also reimmunize it.

AVG AS (formerly Ewido)....for scanning an infested rig...I'll use the trial as a second opinion.

Adaware....although I still use it at times "just because..for a shotgun approach"...I find it really hasn't removed anything of importance in a long long time. It usually finds useless "who the heck cares" stuff like cookies, log files from recently opened zip files or pdf files, etc.

Microsoft Antispyware was useful back when they bought up Giant...had some great advanced tools..but since changing it to Windows Defender..I haven't found it able to do much but take up my time, seems it really got crippled.

Use good antivirus, like NOD32, Kapersky, or Bit Defender.

Spywareblaster..I'll put this on high risk peoples machines...not a removal tool, but it helps protect IE and FF....think of it as a condom for your browser.

Don't forget to run a TCP/Winsock repair utility...if a machine has those files infected by malware...you can run removal tools all day long..but on the next reboot the bad guys will be back if this area is hosed.

genesis[OFT];1030625257 said:
And there also has been some security issues with OpenDNS... also some suspicion that has arise regarding its owners...who used to be heavily affiliated...... with ad companies :rolleyes: . I'm not going to be using it any time soon.

oh really ... I was not aware of that ,thanks for the heads up and do you have any links with info on that?

[F]old|[H]ard

You can fix a corrupt winsock or tcpip stack yourself if you know the commands. Corruption can occur when you rip out some spyware. It'll screw up your tcpip winsock and you'll find you can't get on the internet anymore.

If this occurs try one of these 2 commands from the DOS prompt:

netsh winsock reset

and if that doesn't work try this

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

One of the two will usually always fix the problem. Reboot will be in order after running those comands.

That's what those utilities such as the one linked above do..just in an easy GUI form so you can have non-IT savvy peeps perform the task easily. Easier to have them click a button then get to command prompt and type without typos.

The corruption can also be there without removing spyware..lots of them inject the stack so all you DNS requests are forwarded to DNS servers of their choice..instead of your networks default DNS servers. Basically DNS hijacking.

You can fix a corrupt winsock or tcpip stack yourself if you know the commands. Corruption can occur when you rip out some spyware. It'll screw up your tcpip winsock and you'll find you can't get on the internet anymore.

If this occurs try one of these 2 commands from the DOS prompt:

netsh winsock reset

and if that doesn't work try this

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

One of the two will usually always fix the problem. Reboot will be in order after running those comands.

Pay version? Spyware Doctor (www.pctools.com).

Some people like Webroot Spysweeper, but I find it kind of unstable.

Be advised there are issues with Vista at this time.

When I decided to buy an anti-spyware program, instead of just using the freebies, I went with Spyware Doctor because of all the good reviews it had gotten. While I can say it's kept my computer spyware free, I probably won't be renewing my license wants it expires. One reason is that it is the slowest program to load at startup and takes up anywhere from 32-55 megs of ram just sitting in the background once it does. Second of all, updating the program isn't as easy as it should be. Instead of automatically updating itself, every time there's a new update a window pops up asking you if you want to update. Once you click yes it shows the update, prompting you to click a button to download it. Once you do that it installs the update and then needs to restart the program for the changes to take effect. Granted I'm not that familiar with the differences between anti-spyware and anti-virus programs, but NOD32 manages to keep itself updated without any user actions. Finally, 99% of Spyware Doctor's built in features are for IE and not Firefox. Since IE was been banished to the depths of my computer long ago, this doesn't really do anything for me.

I completely agree. Spyware Doctor does indeed take some time to load at startup, and it's auto-update feature is anything but auto.

But in over 1.5 years of service, not one single piece of spyware or adware has come into my machine. None. Nada. It has caught every single attempt at a drive-by or install via banner-ad.

To me, that makes it's $19 renewal fee a bargain.

V5.0 is due this week I think. We'll see if it improves those two issues.

When I decided to buy an anti-spyware program, instead of just using the freebies, I went with Spyware Doctor because of all the good reviews it had gotten. While I can say it's kept my computer spyware free, I probably won't be renewing my license wants it expires. One reason is that it is the slowest program to load at startup and takes up anywhere from 32-55 megs of ram just sitting in the background once it does. Second of all, updating the program isn't as easy as it should be. Instead of automatically updating itself, every time there's a new update a window pops up asking you if you want to update. Once you click yes it shows the update, prompting you to click a button to download it. Once you do that it installs the update and then needs to restart the program for the changes to take effect. Granted I'm not that familiar with the differences between anti-spyware and anti-virus programs, but NOD32 manages to keep itself updated without any user actions. Finally, 99% of Spyware Doctor's built in features are for IE and not Firefox. Since IE was been banished to the depths of my computer long ago, this doesn't really do anything for me.

But in over 1.5 years of service, not one single piece of spyware or adware has come into my machine. None. Nada

How do u know that? u would need to have more than one anti-spyware, cuz i have several anti-spywares that i run in a regular basis, (none of them give real-time protection btw u have to pay for that) and sometimes one discovers a spyware that the other program didn´t. and how about rootkits? well that´s another story

Back