Vista Out of memory Error

Apollo686

Limp Gawd
I'm using Vista x64 Ultimate and I have been having problems with file copys. When I try to copy about 400gb of files from an eSATA drive to my RAID 5 array I get an error message about 90% of the way through. "There is not enough memory to complete this operation." I tried changing my virtual memory from system managed to 2x 2048-8000 on two seperate drives but still get the error. I have 2gb of DDR2 and a 2gb ReadyBoost flash drive. Has anyone else had this problem or know how to solve it?

There is a patch out there (do a google on it ) what it does is ,It takes away vista constant searching for memory. It's called ( windows vista memory checker patch ).

There is a patch out there (do a google on it ) what it does is ,It takes away vista constant searching for memory. It's called ( windows vista memory checker patch ).

Care to provider a direct link? I can't find it with a google search. I have 2 Gig of RAM and I'm getting tired of Vista always complaining it's out of memory when doing trivial things like using outlook or IE.

Hello MOC - and others

you wrote: There is a patch out there (do a google on it ) what it does is ,It takes away vista constant searching for memory. It's called ( windows vista memory checker patch ).

PLEASE provide some more info's about that patch - i cannot find anything on the net about it.

- where can the patch be found - or what exactly is the name to google for it ?
- do you really think this patch will help to resolve problems when copying large amounts of small files (> ca. 7'500) with FINAL Vista (Home Basic, Business, different Hardwares) ?

thank you a lot - simmons2

P.S.: more and more people get nervous about this HUGE problem !

Why don't you stop copying 400GB of data at one time? How about breaking it down into smaller sized chunks, like a few GB here and there, etc. 400GB at one time to keep track of during a file copy... even for Vista 64 bit editions that's pushing it to the max, and you're getting the errors probably because of it.

Break the file copying operations into smaller chunks and I'll bet you never see that error again without some damned "patch" that I doubt Microsoft itself released.

Just my $.02...

Why don't you stop copying 400GB of data at one time? How about breaking it down into smaller sized chunks, like a few GB here and there, etc. 400GB at one time to keep track of during a file copy... even for Vista 64 bit editions that's pushing it to the max, and you're getting the errors probably because of it.

Break the file copying operations into smaller chunks and I'll bet you never see that error again without some damned "patch" that I doubt Microsoft itself released.

Just my $.02...

*sigh* broken by design
so how come I can SCP 400Gig of data no problem?
if he want's to copy 400gig he should be capable of it. Breaking it down causes more management issues

I don't understand. Whether you copy 1GB or 400GB I was under the impression that the files copied the same way. File copying isn't exactly rocket science, Windows has been doing it for a while now. These days having to copy 400GB of data isn't as crazy as it would have been a few years ago.

Even more interesting is that the OP's Vista 64 is having this issue. I thought the big selling point of the 64-bit OS's was their ability to manage very large amounts of data. 400GB should be a mere drop in the bucket.

Breaking it up in smaller chunks is not always an option. In some corporate offices, backups can be bigger than that and no sane admin would want to go and split those files up before copying them.

If this is indeed broken, then it needs a fix asap.

Hello bbz_Ghost

thanks for your tip how to copy large amounts of files and folders ! But sorry - for me it's ok, but i have also to think and plan for others - and they would NEVER accept such a step back to mid of last century !!!

So PLEASE if you know something about that "damned patch" (your words) - so let us know something about it - and we will perfectly be able to decide what to do with it. Some of us have to SOLVE EXISTING problems - and not to PRODUCE NEW ones.

Sorry and thanx - simmons

I don't understand. Whether you copy 1GB or 400GB I was under the impression that the files copied the same way. File copying isn't exactly rocket science, Windows has been doing it for a while now. These days having to copy 400GB of data isn't as crazy as it would have been a few years ago.

Even more interesting is that the OP's Vista 64 is having this issue. I thought the big selling point of the 64-bit OS's was their ability to manage very large amounts of data. 400GB should be a mere drop in the bucket.

Actually, it's not the same because nowadays with how Vista works, it runs a tab, so to speak, on the operation you're trying to perform, and it'll cache a lot of the files being copied in SuperFetch, hence the problems with out-of-memory. Also, it's trying to maintain a list of files in the operation, and if that 400GB is just a few files, like archives of some kind, it shouldn't be an issue.

But if you're talking about 400GB of small files, like 250K files or more, then yes, Vista is gonna choke on it, regardless of how much RAM you've really got - it's going to keep a running list of the data files copied and continuously check them against that list in case it runs across a file already there and then you'll get the copy and replace/copy and duplicate/ignore error.

Times change, and so will operating systems, but 5 or so years ago with XP if someone said they wanted to copy 400GB of data, I'd just laugh, especially if it was a home user. Nowadays, 400GB worth of data is a drop in the bucket for a lot of people, and I'm not saying this isn't an issue, but even so: trying to copy 400GB of data in one operation is going to cause issues, especially with Vista and SuperFetch.

Actually, it's not the same because nowadays with how Vista works, it runs a tab, so to speak, on the operation you're trying to perform, and it'll cache a lot of the files being copied in SuperFetch, hence the problems with out-of-memory. Also, it's trying to maintain a list of files in the operation, and if that 400GB is just a few files, like archives of some kind, it shouldn't be an issue.

But if you're talking about 400GB of small files, like 250K files or more, then yes, Vista is gonna choke on it, regardless of how much RAM you've really got - it's going to keep a running list of the data files copied and continuously check them against that list in case it runs across a file already there and then you'll get the copy and replace/copy and duplicate/ignore error.

Times change, and so will operating systems, but 5 or so years ago with XP if someone said they wanted to copy 400GB of data, I'd just laugh, especially if it was a home user. Nowadays, 400GB worth of data is a drop in the bucket for a lot of people, and I'm not saying this isn't an issue, but even so: trying to copy 400GB of data in one operation is going to cause issues, especially with Vista and SuperFetch.

and if that is true then Vista has a nice bug.
Superfetch should not keep stuff in RAM, it should also flush RAM when needed. in this case if it was keeping a copy in RAM (just in case it was being used again) and it kept filling RAM up, the moment RAM was full and more operations were need it should of flushed the data todo with the older files, thus freeing up some RAM to allow copying

No decent/real memory management would use RAM for cache AND not have a facility to flush when RAM is required

if you edited boot.ini on first boot and then two week later you have never edited it again boot.ini will still reside in RAM, but the moment RAM starts running out the RAM instance of boot.ini gets flushed

I repeat Broken by design

Hello bbz_Ghost

Aha - now we know why Vista Explorer is NOT ANY MORE the tool for file-copy/paste/drag/drop !

Bullshit - when they introduced some SuperFetch it should be SuperFetch and not SuperShit.

They should say to the Vista user: when you have to copy more than .... files (count them first !) and more than ... folders (also count them first) with more than .... bytes (count them first) or an average size of .... (aggregate them first) etc. then you have to use Tool ... in place of Vista Explorer. Why dont they count and decide themself what algorythmics they should use ? This new aproach is definitively NOT user-frendly, it is UNUSABLE, INACCEPTABLE and has to be corrected IMMEDIATLY !

Bullshit ... why do we get "... out of memory ..." and NOT something like "Dear user. Because you have a lot of Files and Folders to copy please use another Tool than Vista Explorer when you would like to get the results that you are expecting".

Bullshit - why, after "... out of memory ..." the system becomes instable and has to be rebooted ? Vista Explorer ist just bullshity.

Bullshit - when your explanation is really correct, bbz_Ghost, then this design-change is really Bullshit !!!

simmons

P.S.: do you know how to DISABLE this new invention of SuperFetch or so - just to be able as user to copy files and folders with Vista Explorer ! (There are people out there making backups ! There are vendors out there selling Harddisk's with hundereds of Giga Bytes !)

Hello bbz_Ghost

Aha - now we know why Vista Explorer is NOT ANY MORE the tool for file-copy/paste/drag/drop !

Bullshit - when they introduced some SuperFetch it should be SuperFetch and not SuperShit.

They should say to the Vista user: when you have to copy more than .... files (count them first !) and more than ... folders (also count them first) with more than .... bytes (count them first) or an average size of .... (aggregate them first) etc. then you have to use Tool ... in place of Vista Explorer. Why dont they count and decide themself what algorythmics they should use ? This new aproach is definitively NOT user-frendly, it is UNUSABLE, INACCEPTABLE and has to be corrected IMMEDIATLY !

Bullshit ... why do we get "... out of memory ..." and NOT something like "Dear user. Because you have a lot of Files and Folders to copy please use another Tool than Vista Explorer when you would like to get the results that you are expecting".

Bullshit - why, after "... out of memory ..." the system becomes instable and has to be rebooted ? Vista Explorer ist just bullshity.

Bullshit - when your explanation is really correct, bbz_Ghost, then this design-change is really Bullshit !!!

simmons

P.S.: do you know how to DISABLE this new invention of SuperFetch or so - just to be able as user to copy files and folders with Vista Explorer ! (There are people out there making backups ! There are vendors out there selling Harddisk's with hundereds of Giga Bytes !)

As much as I agree about not being able to transfer 400GB of files, is BS, how many more times are you going to transfer 400GB from drives, to necessitate the disabling of superfetch?

Hello bbz_Ghost - and all others

WHAT Microsoft Vista Tool (installed with standard installation procedure of Vista !) do i have to use to copy safely any amount of files and folders from A to B, just to have the identical Files and folders on B as on A ? (That's OPERATING SYSTEM BASIC FUNCTIONALITY - that's NOTHING SPECIAL - the answer should be as simple as the question is (was before VISTA) stupid !

I have payed for Vista - so it's my right to be able to copy files and folders. They did NOT note on the Box "not intended to copy files and folders" - also Microsoft's Marketing Propaganda has NOT indicated "just for Mickey Mouse usage".

simmons

Hello As I Lay Dying

It's NOT an EVERYDAY task to copy 400 GB (Attention: i have the same prroblems with about 2.5 GB and about 7'500 files / 40 folders).

It's the need to have procedures to copy files and folders that work for SURE !

I have NOT planned to get phone calls from users once / twice etc. a month / year telling me that the FULL Backup (or some reason else that inspired the user to copy files and folders) went wrong.

simmons

Hello

Finally this discussion becomes to be ridicoulous !

I would like to see responses like:

- yes, this is BS, Vista Explorer must of course be able to copy any amount of files and folders without problems

- yes, this is BS, when Microsoft names theyr editions "Business", "Enterprise" and "Ultimate" then even DALYLY Backup's of 2,5 Giga Bytes with 7'500 files / folders can be a NORMAL case (and even any bigger sizes / amounts !).

- yes, this is BS, "... out of memory ..." is just a bug somewhere and has to be fixed. (i get this error when Task Manager etc. indicates 2.GB of FREE PHYSICAL MEMORY)

- yes, this is BS, Microsoft does NOT have to dictate or limit the size / amount of files / folders the user can copy (just Hardware limits have to be considered)

- yes, this is BS, Microsoft has to inform about TODAYS's limits, about bypass solutions, about a time table to fix the error.

I would accept a certain "slow down" on copying HIGH amounts of files and folders - but i must be able to TRUST the result.

Do you agree ?

When you agree and when you have good contacts to Microsoft, then PLEASE urge them to do something - and let us know about it !

simmons

Hello

it's even more then ridicoulous !

I have put 20'000 files in a directory, each file 1 Byte (technically more because sector size of course).

You CANNOT copy this directory from C: to D: ! After ca. 15'000 files this new Vista SuperFetch Explorer (or whatever) crashes with " ... out of memory ... "; this means after a handful of bytes !

You also CANNOT burn this direcotry to CD / DVD.

You CANNOT do ANYTHING usable with this directory.

After crashing, the system is completly UNSTABLE - sometimes Vista Explorer crashes, restarts, feedbacks as DONE/GOOD some copy operations but really does NOT do anything - you do NOT know what happens really - that's NOT Information Technology - thats BULLSHIT !

Do you agree ?

Congratulations Bill ! You really are a very good Architect !

simmons

hello

it's even more ridicoulous then ridicoulous ! - Forget to come around in smaller batches !!!

After figuring out that (after fresh boot) copy crashes EVERYTIME after 16'368 files (near 16'384 !!!) i have tailored my 20'000 files into subdirs of 1'000 files each.

Then i copied directory by directory IDIVIDUALLY. And ... guess what happend within my 17th batch: " ... out of memory ... " !!!

What does this means ?

After copying more than about 16'368 files with Vista Explorer you have to Re-Boot !!!!!!!!! You cannot copy files any more - not one single file !!!!!!!!!!

It does not matter if you copy 1 file in a day or hunderds / thousends on the same time. Just when this amount of files has been reached, you have serious troubles with your Vista !!! The implementation of Vista Explorer could not be lausier !!!!!!!!! This has NOTHING to do with " ... out of memory ... " - this has something to do with "Limit-Definitions at Design-Time" (and that's horrible design !!!).

Bill should deliver some kind of mechanical counter with his Vista's, so users can push'nd increment on any file copy operation - and on counter value around 16'500 you know that's time to re-boot. Maybe a Down-Counter would be nice as enhancement, so you always know how many copy operations can still be done. Bill could sell this as "New Technology" Counter - with or without activation procedure.

simmons

oh wow, thats really really bad :\ sorry to hear about all the aches and pains......I am starting to wonder if vista cant do large amounts file transfers... :\ sorry to hear about your bad luck, maybe some one else can confirm said bug.

I have the same horrible problem.

Its a major major bug :(

File a report with MS plz.... Like I did....

In the mean time there is RoboCopy...

Just open a command prompt and type robocopy, you will see what I mean

Its a work around until they fix it....

This is a rather bizarre bug. I'm curious as to why the OS is running out of memory. It seems to me that only a list of files and a buffer for copying need to be maintained in memory. This shouldn't take up that much memory...

Hello Apollo686, Gede - and oll the others suffering on the same issue

YES or NO: do you use Kaspersky ?

Please reply as soon as possible !

simmons

How are you copying the files? Dragging and dropping in the explorer? How many files are involved? Are you copying a bunch of directories, and subdirectories, and so on? Nested to what level? Any use of links, subst, or join in the inovlved directories?

Hello mikeblas

just the AMOUNT of files is critical (16'384 since LAST BOOT !!!) - dont care HOW and from where to where !

the ACTUAL thread for this issue is:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1162423

The starter describes clearly what it means.

Please REPLY fast, if you are concerned about those copy-limits / out of memory.

simmons

I'm having this same problem, only a little variation. The devs at http://www.thursby.com/ are trying to track down the problem but I haven't heard back from them in about 3 weeks.

Yes I agree BS. No excuses please but the back and forth is pretty funny to read for comic relief.

Superfetch does not cache data from file copies; It only caches data that is executable or regularly called from an executable.

I've read several accounts of people having odd (yet reproducible!) file copy issues in Vista. However, so far, these issues only seem to be reproducible among certain systems. For example, in the 16,384 file copy thread, many people (including myself) were unsuccessful when attempting to reproduce the bug.

I recently copied the entire contents of one 750GB drive to another 750GB drive in Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Neither drive was the current bootable drive. I performed the copy using the Vista GUI (explorer) by opening the G:\ drive, ctrl-A, right-click-dragging the contents to my H:\ drive and selecting "Copy Here." My source drive contained ~600GB of data and ~50,000 files. I ran into no errors.

This was on a Dell Optiplex G620, E6600 processor (I believe), 3GB memory, bootable drive: 160GB 7200RPM SATA (Samsung).

There must be some other variable here... possibly the chipset? drivers? 3rd party app? I'm not sure what the other contributing factor is, but this is definitely not an across-the-board Vista bug.

Hello piako

did you have the problem " ... out of memory ... " when copying files with Vista Explorer ?

If YES, if you had this error, then please reply here one of the following:

A) i DO use Kaspersky

B) i do NOT use Kaspersky

Please reply FAST !

simmons

I recently copied the entire contents of one 750GB drive to another 750GB drive in Vista Ultimate 32 bit. Neither drive was the current bootable drive. I performed the copy using the Vista GUI (explorer) by opening the G:\ drive, ctrl-A, right-click-dragging the contents to my H:\ drive and selecting "Copy Here." My source drive contained ~600GB of data and ~50,000 files. I ran into no errors.

This was on a Dell Optiplex G620, E6600 processor (I believe), 3GB memory, bootable drive: 160GB 7200RPM SATA (Samsung).

my problem arises in business 64-bit vista. running 1 GB pc6400.

I've done some testing that shows that copying large files compared to small files is faster in Vista. for some reason Vista hates many many many smaller files in many subdirectories. I've had a bunch of problems from complete OS lockup to dialog boxes that prompt 'try again' and loop forever unless you cancel. I've also had vista die (lockup) transfering ~10 GiB files over the network. These are single files and not folders with subdirectories.

It works ok about 1/2 the time. I'm not dumping more money into vista until we get some word about fixes. It's super pretty to look at, but fails at some simple stuff. I'm just surprised this wasn't fixed before the golden master. That or all the devs have 8 gb of ram.

I'm sorry but there has to be something you guys are doing or running that's causing this. I can't get this problem to occur on any computer I have running Vista. That includes one with 512MB of RAM.

Uninstall or terminate any memory resident programs that do not come with Windows and try again. This includes any sort of anti-spyware, anti-virus, firewall, virtual ISO drive, etc. For some of these programs just terminating them aren't enough, because they have child processes you cannot terminate, and you will need to uninstall the application to make the test valid.

This does not occur on Helios, Eos, or Phaeton in my signature.

Copying large numbers of small files is always slower because you need to start up a copy operation for each file. Copying a single large file negates that and is only really limited by the transfer rate.

Copying large numbers of small files is always slower because you need to start up a copy operation for each file. Copying a single large file negates that and is only really limited by the transfer rate.

Only vista has this slowness. XP and OS X it doesn't make a diff if it's a single file or many files/folders. Only Vista has the speed differences.

so hybrid hdd needed?

Hello piako - again !!!

did you have the problem " ... out of memory ... " when copying files with Vista Explorer ?

If YES, if you had this error, then please reply here one of the following:

A) i DO use Kaspersky

B) i do NOT use Kaspersky

Please reply FAST !

simmons

Only vista has this slowness. XP and OS X it doesn't make a diff if it's a single file or many files/folders. Only Vista has the speed differences.

Eh? In XP it certainly is much slower to copy 1GB in a thousand files than a single 1GB file.

Now Vista seems to take forever to start, but that's just the GUI.

^^^ No. Haven't seen that error.

When copying files with explorer I either get a dialog box like below or the OS just plain crashes and locks up (mouse frozen). Bout 1/2 the time usually. Have to hard-reset every time when it locks up. Sounds like your OS is nice and tells you you are out of ram. Mine just dies. If I try to run the system hard like doing 5-6 things at once and a file/disk operation in the background it freezes. I have a feeling these problems are related though.

Sorry to hijack you're thread simmons2.

Hello piako

did you see the title of this thread ?

"Vista Out of memory Error "

That's NOT your situation it seems !

simmons

Hello piako

it is not MY thread, but it is the thread from apollo868.

Your entry here was "I'm having this same problem, only a little variation.". There is some kind of chance to get lost in multiple problems - variations become more and more weight.

thanks for suspending, piako.

simmons

Hello Apollo686, Gede (again - we are looking for you !!! ) - and oll the others suffering on the same issue

YES or NO: do you use Kaspersky ?

Please reply as soon as possible !

simmons

Yeah actually, I was using Kaspersky, why do you ask?

I switched over to NOD32 now but I havn't had a chance to try agian. I was also using a 2gb ReadyBoost drive when I originally got the error.

Back