8800 GTX & GTS Crashing

acetken

n00b
Hookay. We keep our house pretty freakin' cold. Right now it's 16 degrees. My video card (EVGA 8800 GTX) is idling at 71 degrees.
I'm running XP because I COULDN'T run Vista due to the constant bluescreening not just with gaming, but just surfing the web. Funny thing is, with XP, it seems rock-solid, even though the temps are freakin' nuts. I have 2 120mm fans. 1 intake, 1 exhaust. Same with the 2 80mms. They both move a lot of air.

My roommate has an XFX 8800 GTS. His rebooted in Vista as well as often and as randomly as mine did. We both were using the 100.61 drivers. Have the new 101.41s fixed the rebooting? Is it even a driver issue? What the heck is going on?! Am I ever going to be able to run my copy of Vista Ultimate?

Specs:
Core2Duo 6600 (@stock, but OCable in XP to 3.5GHZ) | Asus Striker Extreme | 2048MB Team Xtreme (4-4-4-9-1t) | eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX | X-Fi Fatal1ty | 1 WD RaptorX 150GB, 1 Maxtor 500GB | SyncMaster 225BW | Corsair 620w PSU

My roommate has totally different specs:
AMD 5200+ | Asus Crosshair | 2048MB OCZ Platinum |XFX GeForce 8800 GTS |Audigy 2 ZS | Antec 550w PSU

So, any more ideas? We've both thrown a buddy's 7950 GT in Vista for testing and it stays solid again, but we're both running XP now, hence my question about the drivers. Needless to say, it bothers the heck out of us.

Your not the only one, I have the same problem on vista and im sure more people are too, I crash about every 10 to 20 mins when i was playing Rainbow 6 Vegas last night. And like you said, Im rock soild on XP also. It's a driver thing. Even with the 101.41 seems to crash even more. :(

I've got an XFX 8800GTS XXX Edition and I haven't had any problems in XP or Vista Ultimate so far. I'm using the 101.41 drivers but didn't have rebooting problems w/ the 100.65s either. That's kinda weird. I can suggest maybe downloading rivatuner and setting the gpu fan to something higher than the stock 59%. Aside from that, I'm not sure why both your computers are rebooting like that. My idle temps are about the same. Looks like you guys have decent power supplies - are the 12volt rails supplying enough amps?

Well I have an eVGA 8800 GTX KO ACS3 on the way and this card is getting passed to my roommate. That one bloody well better not do this.

How do I know if my Corsair 620 is supplying the proper power?
Do I possibly need to RMA my card?
Like I said, stable in XP unless I run D&D Online or LoTR Online. (Probably more, but I've only tested with 6 games. Sims Life Stories, Supreme Commander, Guild Wars, and Jade Empire work just fine.)

Well, just check the specs on the PSUs by looking at the side of them in the case. Where it says 12v1, 12v2, etc., if you add up the amps, they should be at least 26amps minimum. So for instance my ocz 600w psu has four 18A rails = 72Amps total. I had a Rosewill 550W psu before but its two rails were barely 34amps and it caused problems w/ my old x1950xtx. So I'd say both of you check your 12v rails b/c the totall wattage isn't as important.

If that's in order, I'd say check with eVGA / XFX and see what they have to say. It seems odd that 2 cards from different makers would have the same issues.

Well 12.26 is alright...my +12v is usually at 12.29. It's better for it to be a little high than down at 11.85V. What I meant was if you look at the side of ur PSU, where it says 12v1, 12v2, look at those ratings

OH yah, I forgot Loco was having the problem too. Damn, and you have a kilowatt psu. Ok so in your case for sure that can't be a problem. Well, looks like it's happening on both AMD and Intel based systems. Maybe the drivers do have issues for people still? Maybe I got lucky.

How about chipset drivers in Vista? Everyone have updated nForce or whatever drivers? Windows Update randomly installed an "nVidia PCI-E Root" driver the other day.

I checked, I have the latest bios P25, all the nvidia updates, and all windows update. Now should I just take out my 7950GX2 so I wont have this?

Do you have nTune installed? Some people have said that uninstalling it has helped them.

Yeah looks like other people are having this issue too. No definitive solution that I can find, aside from contacting the card manufacturer.

Do you have nTune installed? Some people have said that uninstalling it has helped them.
Was just going to install it to screw around with things and make the fan hit 100%. Is there a better way to do that and get temps?

Why dont you right click My computer, go to properties, and then the advanced >> Startup and recovery settings. Then under system failure, uncheck "automatically restart". This will show you the blue screen instead of just rebooting on you. With that bluescreen you can get a better idea of what's wrong with your system.

My EVGA 8800GTX idles at 54 deg.

You may try putting a PCI slot fan under it.
I've got one under mine and it keeps my temps down in the 60's even under load.
It pulls the heat from the card and pushes it right out the back of the case.

If your idle temps are in the 70's, you've got a case cooling issue not a house/room temp issue. What case do you have?

U2-UFO its a cube case that holds 2 computers, and I have a PCI slot fan to help it cool.
if you don't know what it is here are 2 pics

1000659lc7.jpg

1000663ln0.jpg

Im not going to show off because its going to be off topic.

Do those 6 fans in the front pull air into the case or blow air out the front?
If they pull air in, that may be your heat issue with the 8800GTX.
Warm air is getting trapped inside the case. You have twice as many intake fans as exhaust fans.
The video card's cooling is fed by that warm air. That's why it's idling at 70+ degrees I think. It's hard to cool a hot card with warm air.
What are the inside case temps? That has to be it.

Maybe you could try turning the front 6 fans around so they blow outward and the 2 fans in the back should pull air in.
Or maybe get some higher speed/CFM exhaust fans for the rear so heat won't get trapped in the case.
The intake CFM should equal the exhaust CFM... or close.

Awsome case dude!

Do those 6 fans in the front pull air into the case or blow air out the front?
If they pull air in, that may be your heat issue with the 8800GTX.
Warm air is getting trapped inside the case. You have twice as many intake fans as exhaust fans.
The video card's cooling is fed by that warm air. That's why it's idling at 70+ degrees I think. It's hard to cool a hot card with warm air.
What are the inside case temps? That has to be it.

Maybe you could try turning the front 6 fans around so they blow outward and the 2 fans in the back should pull air in.
Or maybe get some higher speed/CFM exhaust fans for the rear so heat won't get trapped in the case.
The intake CFM should equal the exhaust CFM... or close.

Awsome case dude!

i dont idle even close to 70, and these rads dont even get hot, I feel cool air. temps in the case is about 78F to 83F depents if the other computer is running.

Well I haven't been able to run any graphics from mine since I got it yesterday :mad: I had Vista Premium home 64 installed to start with , thinking that was the problem I went back to good old XP 32 but still getting problems, my pc doesn't crash it switches off? Only seems to be when I tery to run a game of 3DMARK 06, doing my head in now I just wanna see this thing in its glory

I've had my 8800gtx for about 1 and a half weeks, and it didn't start crashing until 2 days ago, i've touched the card while it's running and it's BLISTERING hot, too hot to even keep my hands on for a few seconds.

Thing is non of the bios settings were set up all is set to auto, if anyone knows how I should be setting the bios to run this set up please can you let me know, its the striker extreme MOBO (901) and I'm gonna be putting Vista Premium Home 64bit back on it when I get home,

Its brand new only had the PC delivered yesterday, do I not need to configure it in the bios? like I said all bios settings are set to [auto] I get a feeling thats all the problem is maybe I should take 1 of the 8800GTX's out when the PC is running anything else its fine, internet, music, wmp with full screen visuals

You know what? I just realized 2 days in a row when I wake up and turn on the monitor (i leave the computer on 24/7), Vista has been frozen. I'm not sure why. Sleep mode is turned off, but the hard drives are set to turned off after 20 minutes. But, this never happened with my x1950xtx. You think this is an nVidia related problem?

Hookay. We keep our house pretty freakin' cold. Right now it's 16 degrees. My video card (EVGA 8800 GTX) is idling at 71 degrees.
I'm running XP because I COULDN'T run Vista due to the constant bluescreening not just with gaming, but just surfing the web. Funny thing is, with XP, it seems rock-solid, even though the temps are freakin' nuts. I have 2 120mm fans. 1 intake, 1 exhaust. Same with the 2 80mms. They both move a lot of air.

My roommate has an XFX 8800 GTS. His rebooted in Vista as well as often and as randomly as mine did. We both were using the 100.61 drivers. Have the new 101.41s fixed the rebooting? Is it even a driver issue? What the heck is going on?! Am I ever going to be able to run my copy of Vista Ultimate?

Specs:
Core2Duo 6600 (@stock, but OCable in XP to 3.5GHZ) | Asus Striker Extreme | 2048MB Team Xtreme (4-4-4-9-1t) | eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX | X-Fi Fatal1ty | 1 WD RaptorX 150GB, 1 Maxtor 500GB | SyncMaster 225BW | Corsair 620w PSU

My roommate has totally different specs:
AMD 5200+ | Asus Crosshair | 2048MB OCZ Platinum |XFX GeForce 8800 GTS |Audigy 2 ZS | Antec 550w PSU

So, any more ideas? We've both thrown a buddy's 7950 GT in Vista for testing and it stays solid again, but we're both running XP now, hence my question about the drivers. Needless to say, it bothers the heck out of us.

If you want Vista do what I did; sell the 8800GTX and 680i motherboard to buy a X1950 and 975x board for future dual R600 lovin. Not one lock up, crash, blue screen, graphical glitch since switching.

If you want Vista do what I did; sell the 8800GTX and 680i motherboard to buy a X1950 and 975x board for future dual R600 lovin. Not one lock up, crash, blue screen, graphical glitch since switching.

I'm not gonna do that I only got it yesterday, and I'm happy for you that your system is running well, If some one (with a simalar set up to mine that works) can upload BIOS settings for me maybe giving that a go would help, oh I'm gonna put Vista 64bit back on now

Thanks for that ever so useful solution, but I'll pass, thanks. I think I'd rather hold out for a new driver than pay for a new system.

well even with my 7950GX2 it crashes when using both GPU but when using one (lagging hell...) it doesnt. *sigh*

I'm running a BFG 8800gtx with Windows XP. My system has been completely stable for about 2 months now... up until the last two days. All of a sudden, i can't play any games. My PC freezes or locks up within the first 30 seconds of playing any game. I'm not sure where you guys are, but we've hit 90 degree temps in SoCal for the last couple of days. My computer is upstairs where it gets nice and hot in the room.

I'm going to guess that my problem (and maybe some of yours) is directly related to heat. Currently, my video card is idling at 74 degrees... way too high with no gaming going on :(

I don't even want to imagine what the temps are when i start a game up. I think it's time for WCing or it's going to be a very long summer without video games :p

Yesterday suddenly, I rebooted from vista into xp and started getting a irq not less than or equal to error. I was gonna play a little bf2142. System restore failed and then the BSOD started in Vista - in VISTA! Ended up having to reformat and reinstall both OS's. Now, in XP I can't set the game res to 1280 x 800 - the screen goes fullscreen and then back to windows. So then I'm back at 1680 x 1050 w/ a big 1280 x 800 black screen and the inability end process or anything. I tried creating a custom timing and all in the nvidia control panel -- nada. Not working. So right now, I HAVE to run BF2142 at 1440 x 900 - which is fine unless I'm playing Titan mode. Ugh. Hopefully nVidia will update the XP drivers for the 8800 series soon.

well i guess when I get home il get 2 more WB 250GB and get them in raid to load XP back on :mad:

Hey Loki808-

I am fairly certain that your Quad Core and 2 GTX units are too much for your PSU. Your symptoms of lockups is very similar to something that I experienced with a single GTX running vista with a 550 watt psu that was not cutting it on the 12v rail. Don't flame me, I am just trying to help you get that kickass sysem purring.

Hey... that is odd.. check my spec below.. I am using the power supply that comes with it with no problems.

Doh case is the Antec Sonata II.

[snip]

wait a sec.. didn't you post this same thing in the beta forums for lotro?? heh.. I thought I read this same post somewhere else..

unstable drivers aside, one thing to do if your temps bother you at all, it's really easy on these 8800s is use Ntune or Rivatuner to manually turn the fan up to like 90% which is still pretty quiet and does help the temps out a bit..

For some reason my 8800gtx is not handling 3D very well, I seem to be narrowing down my problem (at last) I can play all of Vistas in built games (had to play a game of some sort) except Chess, anyone know what this could be or how to look into fixing it, I need some hardcore gaming... with GUNS!

Back