ATT: All Nvidia Geforce 88xx Owners Please test your cards for buzzing/sqealing

Users have come across a problem with the Geforce 8800 and xx cards. So far NVIDIA nor any PSU maker has given an official statement. It seems to (maybe) be a problem with faulty transistors on the 88xx cards and/or combination of popular PSU's that cause the cards to squeal at shutdown (low power alarm some say). Other times the card will squeal during a reboot or motherboard reset. It seems to depend on your power supply. Another problem and the most annoying is the constant electronic buzzing sound while in hardware intensive games as well as 3D benchmarks like 3D Mark, ATItool's 3D view etc. Some speculate the card is not getting enough power from the PSU. Others guess it's faulty hardware on the card.

If you feel like it test your cards with this tool below and listen for a loud buzzing sound from your card. It may set off the buzzing/squealing instantly.

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

I have an XFX Geforce 8800GTX with a OCZ GameXstream 700W PSU and the buzzing is there. But not at shutdown. With the same card and a Corsair HX620 PSU the buzzing is still there as well as a shrieking/squealing at shut down.

Here are links to other threads with the same problem. First links are the sounds itself. Mine is similar.

PSU Squeal http://media.putfile.com/PSU-Squeal
http://flintz.no-ip.org/netzteil.mp3

8800 ultra whining/buzzing sound.
http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=110712

High Pitched Noise coming from 8800GTX during gaming.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=89927&mpage=1&key=��

8800GTX Electronic Buzzing Noise.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1140549

8800GTX SQUEAL!
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1170614

8800Ultra/Mobo Chirping/Buzzing
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=95368&mpage=1&key=��

High pitch coil noise coming from 8800GTX's
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37899

Last edited:
nope, no buzzing sounds here. no problem with Obly or CoH, nothing with rthdribl either
I habe a couple of EVGA's GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked

i do have a sound though, when i shutdown and then cut the power off, i can hear a small squeal sound but that is only some capacitors that are being discharged.

No problems. RTHDRIBL is my tool of choice for GPU stability testing, and there's no hint of any squealing. No problems at boot-up/shut-down. EVGA 8800 Ultra+Enermax Whisper II 535W.

I'll test mine. If it makes these sounds....I'm requesting an Ultra as compensation! I could lose my hearing because of this!

:p:D

Nope, nothing. Ran that plenty of times. OC'd flashed to 648/1000/1512 on water.

OCed to 621/902, never had any squeeling or anything. Corsair 620hx PSU. Evga 8800gts standard 640mb edition.

XFX 8800GTS 640mb. No buzzing/squeeling in Ob, CoH, or anything for that matter. Of course, now that I say this, it's going to start screaming when I get home from work. :rolleyes:

PSU is a Antec NeoPower 2 480w.

Strange that I happened to come across this thread. I just got my EVGA 8800 Ultra last week and it buzzes like biatch under ANYTHING 3D related. The card is ran stock on a Silverstone DA750 and the second anything 3D is loaded the card starts to whine and buzz like crazy. It alters pitch depending on what is happening on the screen and it is damn annoying to say the least.

I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. Incidently, my 1900xtx's electrical noise was much worse than my 88's.

DISCLAIMER: With age a person's hearing diminishes so I probably wouldn't hear it if it was there. As test, try listening to the cell phone ring tone designed to annoy the piss out of teenagers. I find it minutely audible while my friends in their 20's run out of the room when they hear it.

Well, if this described 'squeal' is in fact coming from the 8800's speaker, there's no chance anyone could not hear it (at least not at the SPL it emits when you forget to plug in the PCIe power connectors). That tiny little speaker is immensely powerful. As for the 'buzzing', I couldn't say.

Mine doesn't make nose at stock clocks but does what cantankerous is describing when overclocked. I don't really notice it now that I've placed my case on the floor rather than nearby on the desk. Fairly sure it's just a coil, nothing worth RMAing (if it doesn't bother you) or freaking out about, and certainly not anything worthy of being considered a "defect" which to me would imply chance of failure due to whatever it is. Smothering the offending component in hot glue can help, too, which is exactly what I plan to do at some point in the next few days.

I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. Incidently, my 1900xtx's electrical noise was much worse than my 88's.

DISCLAIMER: With age a person's hearing diminishes so I probably wouldn't hear it if it was there. As test, try listening to the cell phone ring tone designed to annoy the piss out of teenagers. I find it minutely audible while my friends in their 20's run out of the room when they hear it.

loL, that's like a dog whistle to them! :D

No sound from my GTX until I shut the comp down. That's only the alarm thinking the card is under powered, so it's a short toot. :p

My 8800 GTS 640 does make a slight noise when spinning the atitool cube. It's a very quiet sound even when heavily overclocked and not a problem at all. And that's pretty much only in the atitool cube spinning, in games it's practically inaudible. Doesn't bother me at all.

squeeling during gaming, evga 8800gtx. i think its coming from either my mobo speaker or the card. nothing is overclocked. i use headphones so they block it out pretty much so ive just ignored it

Mine doesn't make nose at stock clocks but does what cantankerous is describing when overclocked. I don't really notice it now that I've placed my case on the floor rather than nearby on the desk. Fairly sure it's just a coil, nothing worth RMAing (if it doesn't bother you) or freaking out about, and certainly not anything worthy of being considered a "defect" which to me would imply chance of failure due to whatever it is. Smothering the offending component in hot glue can help, too, which is exactly what I plan to do at some point in the next few days.

Please let us know how this fares if you do go the hot glue route. If you can take a picture of the EXACT offending object on the card it would be much appreciated. If the success rate is high in doing this I will surely do the same. That noise is about the only thing that is bothering me about my new system build despite the slightly elevated temps until my cooling in better order.

loL, that's like a dog whistle to them! :D

No sound from my GTX until I shut the comp down. That's only the alarm thinking the card is under powered, so it's a short toot. :p

The FASTEST way to clear a room! :D

I've been too lazy to use it as a ring tone. Someone told me that the sound actually hurt...

But back on topic... my card hasn't given me the toot salute in a very long time although i never turn my system off (sleep mode instead).

ok seriously... the "buzzing" that I heard in that sound file sounds exactly like my fan spinning up to 99%...

then the power issue, well from what I can tell power is being cut from the PCI-E before the mobo, so the alarm is supposed to go off when there is no PCI-E connector in...

solution = find a power supply that doesn't cut PCI-E first before mobo... or break the f-in speaker off the card.... there... all better.

This is not a dilemma that the op makes this out to be.

Mine hums when playing games, and sequels when it is shut down. Honestly I don't care as long as it works.

Mine squeals and buzzes as well. Most 3D games... I just turn up the volume. My EVGA mB used to as well until I exchanged it for an A1 version.

Vid Card = MSI 8800GTX OC
PS= Thermaltake Toughpower 850 Watt (modular)

Me too, 8800GTX, tested on 2 PSU's a 700W OCZ and my corsair HX620, makes a horrible noise, especially in high FPS games.

I tryed rma'ing my card, didnt work.

Evga 8800 GTX stock model powered by a Enermax Galaxy 1,000 Watt. I have no noises or
problems.

eVGA 8800GTS 320 A3 core, it squeals in everything related to 3D, haven't tried vista yet. Only way I notice it is with the case panel off and when I have no sound.... which is almost never. PSU is a Antec EarthWatt 550.

hrm... gts320 here, a3 core, ocz modstream 520W no squeal here. i sit directly beside my open case since we're still in the midst of a scorchin ontario summer.

I can't hear a squeal from my eVGA A3 8800GTS and I have a decent OC on it. It could just be the squeal is too silent for me to hear over the vacuum cleaner like noise of my fans. :D

I have a pair of BFG 8800GTX OC 768mb cards and I don’t think they are making the noise.
But I wouldn’t even notice if they were over the loud roar of 4 x 120mm Panaflow fans in my Stacker.
:p

stock eVGA 8800GTX (black pcb) w/ Antec PowerTrio 550

&

no noise (except for fan spinning faster)

EVGA 8800GTX and EVGA 8800 Ultra.

I've tried every combination with a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 and Corsair 620HX and these two video cards. In 3d games, ATITool, rthdribl, etc, both the video card and power supply buzz.

After seeing people RMA 4-5 times without any luck, I'm convinced that every 8800GTX and Ultra are affected by this problem, but some people have fans or other components that are too loud to notice it.

Its a real problem for someone striving for silence like me. I bought my Ultra to replace a buzzing GTX, but its just as loud and annoying.

my PNY 8800gtx makes the high pitched noise only in ati tool when the cube is spinning and everyonce and a while when the fps jumps to 1000+. but no problems yet!!

run it till it blows....lol

no noise from my evga 8800gtx dont plan any either,or i will get one more from fry's

Afraid not. My Ultra's just fine.

How quiet is your computer? Is your side panel off and your ear near the card? Are you trying to 3d view in ATITool?

I would be happy to hear that some people definitely have cards with no buzz... maybe I could find someone who doesn't care about noise and trade mine for theirs :p

I would be happy to hear that some people definitely have cards with no buzz... maybe I could find someone who doesn't care about noise and trade mine for theirs :p

I'll be happy to stick the stock HSF back on my GTX, flash it back to the original clocks and trade you for that Ultra. I'd even throw in $20 to offset the clock speed drop on your end. My card's dead silent at stock clocks.

No noise on my GTX stock or overclocked. Guess I'm one of the "lucky ones" :)

I noticed slight noise when I startup 3D applications like 3D06 and COH.

EVGA ACS3 8800GTX
Ultra X3 1000w

I'll be happy to stick the stock HSF back on my GTX, flash it back to the original clocks and trade you for that Ultra. I'd even throw in $20 to offset the clock speed drop on your end. My card's dead silent at stock clocks.

I appreciate the offer, but I would be overclocking as well, and I want to stick with EVGA. I would RMA my card, but I would probably just end up paying shipping for another buzzing, and probably refurbished, video card.

Back