SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 -- How many have problems?

What your experience with the SOYO DYLM24D6?

• Still running without any problems.

Votes: 56 87.5%
  • Broke/died soon enough that retailer accepted a return/exchange.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Broke/died inside the one year Soyo warranty period.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Broke/died after the one year Soyo warranty...I'm screwed!

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

BecauseScience

[H]ard|Gawd
There are a lot of reports of serious problems with this display. See these threads:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1227542

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1215729

Here's a poll that will hopefully quantify the defect rate somewhat better than the adhoc reporting we've had so far.

The poll is multiple choice in case you have more than one or you went through more than one unit to get a working display.

It would be great if anyone who votes would take the time to post as well. How long did you have the display before the failure? How did your store return go? What's the warranty service experience like?

I'd love to pick one of these things up but the prospect of mailing my brand new 24" panel off to some service center for 2-3 months is highly unappealing.

Much thanks to all who participate!

I have two of them. they both work perfectly. i did have to exchange one of them, since the back light didn't get as bright as the first one. the exchange went really smoothly at office max. the two i have now have been working flawlessly for the past month. I even wall mounted them. =)

I have two of them. they both work perfectly. i did have to exchange one of them, since the back light didn't get as bright as the first one. the exchange went really smoothly at office max. the two i have now have been working flawlessly for the past month. I even wall mounted them. =)

Sounds like the one you returned was a August/Sept. The July monitor is the brightest.

I have only had mine for one week but it has had no problems and I love it. For the record, it has a manu date of July.

Sounds like the one you returned was a August/Sept. The July monitor is the brightest.

I have only had mine for one week but it has had no problems and I love it. For the record, it has a manu date of July.

yeah, your right. the one i returned was manufactured in august. the two i have now are both July ones.

Not a single issue with mine out of the box, and I have had it for quite some time now..

I'm thinking about getting one of these as to go with my LG 245, so everyone here is happy? Good horizontal and vertical viewing angles? Good for gaming?

Great, however, you need a way of changing your answer should problems arise!

People can smply post a reply here. :)

I'm thinking about getting one of these as to go with my LG 245, so everyone here is happy? Good horizontal and vertical viewing angles? Good for gaming?

Viewing angles are superb. When looking at it from almost a 180* angle you may notice a very faint brightness increase. That is the only problem I could see. I have played UT3, Crysis, SupCom, C&C 3, etc and have enjoyed every minute. :) In fact, I think it is safe to say I will never go back to using a TN panel. All in all, it is hard to beat $250-300 for a 24" P-MVA display. :D

I had to return two before this one. The one I'm using is only about 1.5 months old now. Who knows how long it will last..

I did pull the back cover off the monitor which helps the monitor run much cooler. The original back cover has very little ventilation. Someone here said that some of the soyo's problems could be the result of heat having ill effects on the laminations in the lcd panel, thus causing lines of dead pixels to stop working.

I also turn down the brightness to 10 when doing desktop work, which should help the back light live longer, as well as help the panel run cooler. In games or movies, I turn the brightness to 35.

So far so good. If you can get one that lasts the PQ is real good.

I have had the Soyo for just over a month now. I'm in the no problems so far group and knock on wood it stays that way. I'm more interested in hearing from people who have had the monitor for 6months or more, but I haven't heard from anyone who's had this monitor before Aug.

Someone had brought up the issue that the failures may be heat related and I'm inclined to think so as well. Since the weather has been getting colder I have heard of less and less failures.

I had to return two before this one. The one I'm using is only about 1.5 months old now. Who knows how long it will last..

I did pull the back cover off the monitor which helps the monitor run much cooler. The original back cover has very little ventilation. Someone here said that some of the soyo's problems could be the result of heat having ill effects on the laminations in the lcd panel, thus causing lines of dead pixels to stop working.

I also turn down the brightness to 10 when doing desktop work, which should help the back light live longer, as well as help the panel run cooler. In games or movies, I turn the brightness to 35.

So far so good. If you can get one that lasts the PQ is real good.

What month is your monitor manufactured in? I ask as my July produces very little heat and am curious if that is because it is a different month or just a fluke.

1. My unit: Excellant out of the box (July/07) . Been about 5-6 weeks with no problems , panel looks and runs great for hard gaming ,etc .

2. Family member : First unit (Aug/07) worked fine , but colors were never quite right . Exchanged it for another unit (Sept/07) and it was excellant out of the box , no problems thus far ; looks and runs as good as my July/07 unit.

Settings for both units are identical , with brightness down to 35 (with a possible 1-2% reduction in gamma ; depending on your personal color prefrence )

Got mine for $300 and was amazed by the colors and brightness for the price. Runs great out of the box. No ghosting in gaming and movies.

I won't buy another monitor until (hopefully) LCDs go to 120HZ like the HDTVs.

What month is your monitor manufactured in? I ask as my July produces very little heat and am curious if that is because it is a different month or just a fluke.

I had 2 Julys and 1 august. My current is an July. All of them put out about equal heat from the top vents. I think that the thing produces more heat than you think, just that it keeps it trapped inside so much. I took mine apart while hot, and the heat came flying out with the back off. It wasn't like an oven or anything, but the difference was pretty clear. You can easily feel how much cooler the screen is, both front and back.

I know it's weird, but it doesn't compromise the functionality of the monitor in any way. And I don't have to worry about any kids or anything putting their fingers anywhere they shouldn't. So running it naked has low risk for me. Hopefully my panel lasts longer as a result.

Got a chance to check my manufacture date and it says June 2007 and I bought mine in October. Guess not too many people in NYC were jumping in on the deal.

It looks like we've had our first "in warranty failure" vote. Would the voter like to post a little bit about his warranty service experience? I'm dying to know if it was an decent process and whether it ended with a satisfactory, working display.

I paid an extra 35 bucks for the officemax extended warranty...Got it for an extra 2 years..I felt it worth it for the level of protection that I am getting..

I paid an extra 35 bucks for the officemax extended warranty...Got it for an extra 2 years..I felt it worth it for the level of protection that I am getting..

That's a pretty good deal. Isn't one additional year around $30? it seems like a no brainer to take the extra year for $5 more.

Does Officemax repair or replace under their warranty?

That's a pretty good deal. Isn't one additional year around $30? it seems like a no brainer to take the extra year for $5 more.

Does Officemax repair or replace under their warranty?

Two year is 50 so I am not sure how he got 2 yrs for 35 unless he is adding the manu warranty.

OM should replace the damaged product with another they have in stock.

I called the store today and asked something about this screen, and the employee mentioned that this screen has been returned because of dead pixel problems, similar to what has been reported here. I know that there have been a few posts here about it, but I suspected that a lot more people owned this monitor and never posted because they had no problems to talk about. I'm grateful this poll gives clearer numbers.

I really hope mine works alright. I've heard so many good things about this screen. Based on the odds, I should get one that works fine, I just hope I don't fall in the group of "the unlucky few."

/Edit: I called OM today and they said that I could try the monitor in-store before I brought it home, to make sure there were no defects upon initial purchase.

You may realize that this poll shows a 10% defect rate - hardly something any manufacturer would want to brag about.

Is there a problem? Hell ya. Of the people who say no problems, how long did they have this for so far?

You may realize that this poll shows a 10% defect rate - hardly something any manufacturer would want to brag about.

Is there a problem? Hell ya. Of the people who say no problems, how long did they have this for so far?

I've had mine for a month and no problems, knock on wood.

no problems yet, i have a second one. i returned the first one i bought today because of a green stuck pixel. this second one seems to run alittle cooler, but still warmer than my westy 37. of course, the westy is at 20% backlight lol ;)

I posted on the other thread, but I just got one today and am just checking out opinion - to the person who asked about the warranty service:

I had to return a Soyo motherboard a couple years ago because of some kind of short in it - the process was very smooth and quick, no problems. It was a $200 board that was only $20 after two Soyo rebates. Their rebate service absolutely sucks! It took me over a year, countless emails, hours on the phone arguing and spent on hold and much threatening to call the BBB (which I did anyway). Because of this I am a little wary of Soyo products of any type. My boyfriend has had a 10' widescreen LCD for about year now and no problems, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My first Soyo died after one week. It ran fine but wouldn't power up one day.

My second Soyo has just passed the two month mark. It was run 24/7 for the first four weeks and it's had very heavy use since then, at least 4 hours daily.

Both units were manufactured in July.

*update*

Purchased mine back in Oct/07 (July unit) and still going strong , not a single problem with heavy daily usage .

Got mine at the end of December and it's still going strong................:) I use it for home office work, web surfing and UT3 gaming and it's in use for about 16-18 hours a day.

You gotta love these things! The best part is knowing how little you've paid for such an awesome panel. I could have payed twice as much and still feel like I'd gotten a deal.

got mine 13 days ago, has been turned on the entire 13 days since purchase except twice while doing some troubleshooting to my PC, it has 4 stuck pixels but I run 1920x1200, and i literally cannot see the stuck pixels unless I run a solid black background and stick my face right next to the screen and search for them

as long as I don't have any problems like black lines or green tint or whatever, i'll be happy with this one for sure, i paid 279.99 + 1yr OM warranty, tomorrow is the last day i can take it back for a refund before the exchange warranties kick in

Mine died just before the two year mark. I think its a power supply issue on mine. Picture had been great all the way till the end.

Mine was manufactured in October of 2007.

Thread necrophilia!

Anyhow, don't give up completely. Mine died once. I left mine un-powered for a month or so before testing it out again. It's been working correctly ever since. I never found out why it stopped working in the first place,

Last edited:
Mine also died of a supposed power supply issue. The panel was still excellent til the end. Such a shame. It's sitting in the corner. I try to power it up ever now and then, but nobody is home. Using my tiny 14" laptop screen day to day is becoming too much a chore. I may have to replace the SOYO

Back