Where are all the UT3 players???

Sipster

Gawd
I went on last night around 11:00 and found only 4 servers running warfare mode. Actually, I found about 150 but then 146 had no players in them.

Did this game come out at a bad time or is it just not that fun for you guys?

i would imagine its because epic has consolified ut3 and for the first time are not 100% dedicated to the pc gaming community so now pc gamers are feeling betrayed and the game itself has enough issues to turn people off.. thats what i thinks going on but i could be wrong.. what i do know for fact is word spreads, and even i was intending on buying it but after reading on [H] how theres noone playing online, I am no longer planning on getting it.. domino effect in action :D

I got on at 12:00 and it seems the only ones that play at that time are about 10-15 Godlike veterans. I just played UT04 and it had about 150 players online. I really wish this wasn't happening. I love the game, but it seems UT3 is becoming EPIC PHAIL...

I bought UT3 but haven't played it much, too busy playing Mass Effect.

UT3 didn't bring much new to the table though, and being launched with so many other games on various platforms it is getting pushed aside.

I'm a huge fan of the UT series, and I don't think UT3 is nearly as bad as most would make it out to be (though, I think the changes to onslaught mode are awful)

in any event... i can't pull myself away from CoD4 and I would imagine this is the case with a lot of folks. it blows my mind how many populated servers there are.

I find UT3 boring, they ruined ONS... DM is ok but there's no real reason to play it over 2k4 DM, especially considering how much more custom content is avaiable and in circulation for 2k4... so I'm still playing 2k4 for the most part :(

I have the unreal anthology, that compilation pack which included all UT's from 99 to 2k4, in my old computer. I was gonna install ut3 on the new one, but now i dunno if i should just install the compilation on the new one as well.

I bought it too, and like others, I'm playing other games currently. I imagine I'll get around to playing it though. I'm not a UT/UT2004 purist like so many other players. I always preferred the id games for fast paced shooters. I'd play Q3A or Q4 over UT any day. My point is though, that UT3 seems quite fun from the little I've played it, but that's from my non-purist point of view. It seems quite close to the previous ones in my eyes, but I don't have nitpicky favorite old features, or new features to hate.

The menu is consolized, I'll agree there, but supposedly that's been (or is being) fixed, and that really doesn't impact the ingame experience all that much. (I do hate consolization as much as the next PC player though.)

With Quake Wars, Orange Box, Crysis, Hellgate: London, and Mario Galaxy to play (along with the old favorites and emulation that I keep in constant play-circulation,) UT3 just took a back-seat.

UT3? meh, who cares. Just more of the same stuff....why buy it yet again? better things out there.

They removed all the fun gameplay modes. I loved UT and UT2K4. 2K4 was a good evolution of the original. UT3 feels like a step backwards.

I'd much rather play CoD4 online.

I am addicted to TF2 ATM. Playing on a server with ppl who know how to play makes it insanely fun and challanging. Were it not for that, I would have picked up UT3 by now.

Maybe in a few months...

The demo did not blow me away. I was excited for a long time for it and then the reviews were so -so. I'll stick to playing 2K4 when I feel like playing UT. I'm playing TF2 more anyways. I'll pick up COD4 soon too so it will likely suck me in as well.

I haven't bought it yet. :( I knew that it would just sit on my shelf because I had no time to game and if I DID have time, I'd get Crysis and GoW out of the way. But I'll be picking it up within a week before I head home for Christmas break (read: a whole month) where I'm sure I'll play it some. :)

Based on the Gamespy, there are no UT3 players, ET:QW seems to be the big winner in terms of people actually playing online out of the recent releases.

That said, this has been an awesome couple of months for new games, and there are only so many hours in a day.

1. I feel stupid playing a war game with a hoverboard.
2. Warfare just sucks in general. "Nodes" were plausible. "Orbs" are just stupid.
3. Online servers just suck out there.
4. DM is still just DM.
5. The game is too full of bugs
6. You die too quickly. Two shots from basically any weapon kills you. It can take 10 minutes to get to where the action is, only to get killed by some random crossfire or a Manta. Yes, a fast game is fun - IF you can get back in the action quickly as well. This just sucks.
6.5. Constantly running or "Hoverboarding" around levels gets old QUICK.
7. Nobody knows how to play.
8. There is no incentive for any teamwork, its basically a huge orb(flag) run.
9. Grappling is terribly unreliable for any number of reasons, from the grapple breaking due to crazy drivers, to idiots taking your ass on a ride to some stupid corner of the map where there is no action.
10. Most of the vehicles drive like SHIT and look like Tonka trucks.
11. Players blend into the backgrounds too much.
12. They removed dodge-jump. ie. you have FEWER movement options than previous versions of this game. Isn't is supposed to work the other way around?
13. Few decent servers, even fewer decent maps.
14. Again, I feel like a little kid playing this game.

im gonna buy it, i bought gears first cause i got it on sale, i see ut3 for $40 but i want the collectors for the extra content. since i plan on building level for it and gears. I think it coming out on all the systems near the same time might hurt it a little, but if its fun people will play it, but since they removed things and dumbed some of it down, purists are a little bit miffed. Looks are not everything, crysis might look great on a fast machine, but its not much fun ill wait till i have a faster system and the game is in the bargain bin i think. The demo felt like junk to me. not taken the time to mess with UT3 since i dont have it, never tried the beta either.

i think some of the gaming modes will come back, either by someone modding them in, or by Unreal team adding them, i think maybe some were removed to get the game to ship when it did. but this is all speculation. now people joining beyond unreal and other places giving constructive criticism might help make it a reality, but 10,000 posts on how stupid and what were they thinking ,,, not gonna help anybody. i know its aggravating when they do something to a franchise you love. For this game i think its to early to tell for sure. maybe we need a unreal 3.5, but ill make my final judgement once i play it a bit.

UT3 was such a major disappointment for me. I guess it's one of those things that gets hyped so much, it's impossible for it to live up to it's reputation. But i also think Epic basically cut it's own throat by feeding into the hype.

I find UT3 boring, they ruined ONS... DM is ok but there's no real reason to play it over 2k4 DM, especially considering how much more custom content is avaiable and in circulation for 2k4... so I'm still playing 2k4 for the most part :(

I don't like the way they screwed up Onslaught either. DM is DM and the only reason to play UT3 DM is that its' pretty. Other than that there is nothing that the game offers over UT2004.

They removed all the fun gameplay modes. I loved UT and UT2K4. 2K4 was a good evolution of the original. UT3 feels like a step backwards.

I'd much rather play CoD4 online.

Agreed.

I still enjoy UT3, but I've had some stability issues and I've experienced a few bugs. Beyond that it just isn't any different than the last game aside from the graphics. In fact the other game modes are worse. I hate warfare for example. Vehicle CTF isn't that great either. I don't care for the hoverboard either.

I went on last night around 11:00 and found only 4 servers running warfare mode. Actually, I found about 150 but then 146 had no players in them.

Did this game come out at a bad time or is it just not that fun for you guys?

It's not selling and the reason of this is how lame the graphic is compare to the hype.

It's not selling and the reason of this is how lame the graphic is compare to the hype.

Yeah I dont think the hard core UT players give a shit about the graphics.

Personally I havent bought my copy yet (and I'm a crazy UT fan, been playing competitively since the month after the original UT came out.) because of how pissed off I was at the beta demo.

GameSpy server system? Fuck you, Epic. Honestly. I have to register my name now to play and go through all this other bullshit including their ass backwards menu system and server browser.

There are a number of key issues that need to be addressed, and they've started to with the patches (the eyeheight bug, holy shit) but the kind of response that fans recieved in the UT forums (you get banned if you question any Epic decision.) is awful, and Epic should be ashamed.

The INI system is completely fucked up (stuck in my documents now? wtf?) and they're a pain to edit compared to the ease of use that UT2k* and UT had. You have to tinker in the INI files if you actually want to change any settings, and disable the dumb depth of field and blurry bloom shit.

The game feels too much like a quick copy and paste of the Gears style with elements of the UT franchise thrown in. And Epic doesnt even know what the fuck theyre doing anymore when it comes to designing the game. Deathmatch? Onslaught? Warfare? Make up your mind, and stop spreading yourself so thin, because thats the problem.

Yeah... what was I saying?

Based on the Gamespy, there are no UT3 players, ET:QW seems to be the big winner in terms of people actually playing online out of the recent releases.

That said, this has been an awesome couple of months for new games, and there are only so many hours in a day.

Well, also according to Gamespy, nobody is playing CoD4... so yeah.

What are you talking about? There are plenty of people playing UT3....

....ON THE PS3 ROFLRLFLRFOROLOLOOLLLOLOLLULZ

Well, I'm a guaranteed UT3 sale, but I still don't own it. New computer to run it is in a box beside me, unassembled, and my last exam is Tuesday.

I went into EBGames though, and they had copies in the back. Nothing on the shelves at all.
Ouch.

It seems like UT3 managed to screw up its release by not having (at least) the first patch included in retail, doing early-hype but no real late-advertising, and really, really bad PR. Well, that and having to compete against some pretty big hitters.

Put it all together, and we have a game that has sold crappily. I still think it has the potential to turn itself around, assuming appropriate mods come out. It's still a great engine, with a great editor. But it'll be up to the community to pull UT3 out of its nosedive, it looks like.

Or maybe Epic will pull something amazing off, like a Bonus Pack of epic proportions that actually attracts enough people to salvage the game. I sorta don't see that happening though. It's up the fans, not developers now, imo.

Well, simply put, UT3 is a flop. It is an average game competing with excellent games (Crysis, TF2, CoD4).

On the other hand, UE3 has been such an unbelievable success that I doubt Epic really gives a shit.

I agree with others on here. The demo was a disappointment quite frankly, so if I do ever get it, it will be when it gets cheap.

I have more fun going back and playing 2k4 and its mods than I did with the UT3 demo. Besides, I want to get COD4 before I even sniff UT3.

I highly doubt that I will ever buy UT3. I started playing with 2k3 and 2k4 and the demo did not fly with me whatsoever. Epic let me down big time with this one.

Its pretty good. I feel like I got my money's worth, though I'm not blown away. I like Vehicle CTF. The secret to enjoying Vehicle CTF is to have a teammate on voice chat to cooperate with the hoverboard and grapple beam. Or running over people with a Viper/Manta...yeah I'm one of those assholes.

I've been playing TF2 and ET:QW a lot more...

something about fun in those games...

UT3 brings me back to the old dm games... a little too much. DM unfortunately gets old quick, becomes a pissing match who can get to the frag limit quicker, nice to know I can still dominate pretty well, but it's got that been there done that motion to it. The CTF is just.... crap.

Nothing worse than finally making it to the front lines, only to be killed just like that. Then the whole travel back is a pain in the ass. Hoverboard is meh. I find ET's trying to make it to the front lines concept much more appealing, you feel more like a participating soldier. At least as a medic I see fallen comrades and I go revive their unlucky asses.

TF2 is just well fun!

TF2 and CoD4 seem to be bigger attractions right now in MP land. I will get into UT3 at some point, but I will prolly wait til they work the consolitis out of it. IF they bother to work it out of it. It is pretty clear that the PC has become an afterthought at best to Epic.

Yeah I dont think the hard core UT players give a shit about the graphics.

Personally I havent bought my copy yet (and I'm a crazy UT fan, been playing competitively since the month after the original UT came out.) because of how pissed off I was at the beta demo.

GameSpy server system? Fuck you, Epic. Honestly. I have to register my name now to play and go through all this other bullshit including their ass backwards menu system and server browser.

There are a number of key issues that need to be addressed, and they've started to with the patches (the eyeheight bug, holy shit) but the kind of response that fans recieved in the UT forums (you get banned if you question any Epic decision.) is awful, and Epic should be ashamed.

The INI system is completely fucked up (stuck in my documents now? wtf?) and they're a pain to edit compared to the ease of use that UT2k* and UT had. You have to tinker in the INI files if you actually want to change any settings, and disable the dumb depth of field and blurry bloom shit.

The game feels too much like a quick copy and paste of the Gears style with elements of the UT franchise thrown in. And Epic doesnt even know what the fuck theyre doing anymore when it comes to designing the game. Deathmatch? Onslaught? Warfare? Make up your mind, and stop spreading yourself so thin, because thats the problem.

Yeah... what was I saying?

Were you on BeyondUnreal? I had to just stop reading their forums after the fanboism got to me. Honestly.... I called all of this nearly 10 months ago, I feel like motha fockin Nostradomus, too bad they all thought Epic could do no wrong.

What happened to "Polish Polish Polish" Rein?
What happened to making the game more fun for noobies? I still own them, they still suck, they still get pissed and leave.. so much for that
What happened to the great movement options available.. oh yeah, got rid of them for the noobies.. too bad they still hate the game after a few days of play
What happened to the PC gamers being your "bread and butter?" Looks like we just got the same exact everything as the PS3 version and that includes the retardedly, retardedly basic settings menus, and bassackwards menu systems. Its good to know you designed the game around the PS3, then slapped it on the PC. I definatly laughed at the "KB/M support" popup for servers in the demo, newsflash, we're on the PC.
What happened to CARNAGE CARNAGE CARNAGE?! Oh yeah, its still there if you find a server... and yeah, its still there, but the people being turned into carnage are still the newbs, and the people still gib free are the vets. Hell, in TF2 you can suck ass and get 50 kills in a game with the engineer. I got TF2 4 days ago, and in my first day of playing I was already topping the leaderboards... good luck with that in UT3, it took me a year of 2k4 to own the regular pubs, and 3+ to be considered as doing "good/great" in most TAM servers. Took me 5 hours of TF2, and i'm having an absolute blast playing it. UT3 is more frustrating than fun.

I loved how the demo came out, and within a day or two we had "trick jumping videos" which were all pretty much retardedly basic stuff. Ooh, movement is so awesome.. let me point you to BoogityBoy's flagfunning videos in 2k4, thats some movement right there, not this lame ass 5 inch walldodge if i'm falling just barely, or a double jump that won't let me jump onto a ledge that is at my waist.

So yeah, anything Epic does to UT3 now is "too little too late" The game is toast, the community is microscopic, "EPIC FAILURE." The game is dead... funny how I remember saying this around 3 years ago when it came to UT2k4 TDM and CTF.... Life doesn't change much for Epic does it?

Don't know if this much consolation to the folks who feel that the game was consolized too much, but the PS3 version seems to be flopping, though not quite as badly. Only about 30 servers are up now (though they're populated). This game just isn't catching on with either platform.

I got TF2 4 days ago, and in my first day of playing I was already topping the leaderboards... good luck with that in UT3, it took me a year of 2k4 to own the regular pubs, and 3+ to be considered as doing "good/great" in most TAM servers. Took me 5 hours of TF2, and i'm having an absolute blast playing it. UT3 is more frustrating than fun.

You seem to be forgetting that TEAM Fortress 2 was actually designed around the first word in it's name, not the individual players.

I agree with others on here. The demo was a disappointment quite frankly, so if I do ever get it, it will be when it gets cheap.

I have more fun going back and playing 2k4 and its mods than I did with the UT3 demo. Besides, I want to get COD4 before I even sniff UT3.

I definitely agree the demo was a big disappointment. May look on ebay for a cheap copy or wait 'till it's in the bargain bin somewhere. It's too bad, they had a good thing going with ut2004 imo - guess they should have taken more time and released it in '08 when it was Really finished.

Back