Get 80-Plus Certified Efficient PSUs Folks - ASAP!

aldamon

Supreme [H]ardness
This might have been painfully obvious to others, but here is my story: My file server used to have a 500W Cooler Master RP-500-PCAR (supposedly 70% efficient but I call BS) in it and my main rig used to have an OCZ PowerStream 520W in it (terrible 60% efficiency). I just popped in a Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W in the file server and a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W in my main rig, both of which are 80-Plus certified, and combined I'm pulling 115W less from the wall according to the LCD on my UPS when fully loaded with F@H. Holy shite!@

Before: 565W

After: 450W

Me: :D

psus.jpg

Nice... I only have a rig and it's already 80+ so what do I do now beside my boring homework?

Even I know I said boring homework somewhat I think I read it as borging homework. Do I need to take a little time off from the forum? I mean I'll still have to borg my boring homework and yet I'm borging rigs...:rolleyes::confused::confused: I'll stop while I'm ahead.:D

My best box in terms of Points per Watt is my new dual X5355 one.
Try ~6,400 PpD for only 335 watts pulled from wall, reading via a kill-a-watt meter.
My other dual X5355 box only does ~6,000 PpD for 350 watts due to needing a vid card.

Luck ............... :D

If your boxen is small enough, how about a 200W DC power supply.

http://www.mini-box.com/PW-200M-DC-DC-power-supply?sc=8&category=13

over 95% efficient. Fanless, only requires a DC power supply (power brick) on the outside of the case. Some of those I have seen are 90% efficient.

What really affects efficiency in a power supply? Components I mean. The bridge rectifier circuit, step down transformer, etc?

My best box in terms of Points per Watt is my new dual X5355 one.
Try ~6,400 PpD for only 335 watts pulled from wall, reading via a kill-a-watt meter.
My other dual X5355 box only does ~6,000 PpD for 350 watts due to needing a vid card.
Are these systems runninb Windows or Linux? Are they OC?

Are these systems running Windows or Linux? Are they OC?

Server MoBo's so no easy overclocking.
Each is running Windozes XP64 -> VM Server -> 4x Linux SMP clients.
I'm gaining around 1,600-2,000 PpD extra by running VM over running 2x straight Windoze SMP clients as long as I get quick Linux protiens.
Plus I can lock each VM to it own pair of cores which cuts down on the NB traffic.

Luck ............ :D

More info about Linux & VM's etc on my farm.

In November I was running a pure Windoze SMP folding farm at around 16,000 PpD.
Added VM's to my Quads and got very close to 20,000 PpD

Since then I've swopped 5 out of 6 of my C2D's over to CentOS-5 Linux.
Now running the native Linux SMP client give me an extra 200 PpD each if I get the quick protiens.

On my Quads I've installed VMWare server and are now running the Linux SMP client inside the VM.
I'm gaining around 800 PpD per Quad.

Total daily points gain from the change over = 5x200 + 6x800 = ~5,800 PpD ........... :eek:
Thats like a free Dual-Quad running.

Luck .................. :D

Funny, those 2 power supplies are 2 that I was considering for my new quad build here once the 45nm ones come out. Glad to see you're saving some dough by getting higher quality psu's. I've added the save power by getting more efficient to my list of reasons to upgrade for submission to the finance committee. :)

More info about Linux & VM's etc on my farm.

In November I was running a pure Windoze SMP folding farm at around 16,000 PpD.
Added VM's to my Quads and got very close to 20,000 PpD

On my Quads I've installed VMWare server and are now running the Linux SMP client inside the VM. I'm gaining around 800 PpD per Quad.:eek:
Thats like a free Dual-Quad running.
I was going to ask you this in another thread, but I'll ask here. What were you averaging in PPD with your dual quads prior to the VMWare installations and how many Windows clients on each machine? Also, which version of Windows?

Thanks in advance.

What is a good price on those two PSU's?

Did you consider Seasonic and/or Fortron?

What is a good price on those two PSU's?

Corsair ($69 + shipping after rebate):

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1261727

Cooler Master ($49.99 + shipping after rebate):

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=40&threadid=2138338&highlight_key=y&keyword1=750w

Did you consider Seasonic and/or Fortron?

The Corsair IS a Seasonic and has legendary performance and the Cooler Master was reviewed well here and at Hardware Canucks. Fortron has fallen out of favor as of late.

Aww the corsair is out of stock at fry's, boooo.

Unless you're dying for a modular unit, the Cooler Master is pretty damn sweet for $57, has 230W more headroom than the Corsair, and is still in stock. BTW, the Cooler Master has the same 5-year warranty as the Corsair.

Just FYI, but the $50 rebate at PC Club expires tomorrow so you might want to move it to the top of the short list like today or so. :cool:

Haha, I did! That rebate made it too good of a deal, even if it doesn't have the modular cables. So I ordered it last night, along with all the prereq parts to host a 45nm quad here in a couple months.

If your boxen is small enough, how about a 200W DC power supply.

http://www.mini-box.com/PW-200M-DC-DC-power-supply?sc=8&category=13

over 95% efficient. Fanless, only requires a DC power supply (power brick) on the outside of the case. Some of those I have seen are 90% efficient.

What really affects efficiency in a power supply? Components I mean. The bridge rectifier circuit, step down transformer, etc?

Nice, I might have to get one of those for my Smoothwall. It has an older Enermax 2 fan PSU in it right now and I want to replace it. I can't imagine it using more than 100 watts.

Antec earthwatts EA380 ATX12V v2.0 380W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005

$49.99 - $30.00 MIR = $19.99 with FREE Shipping

MIR ends 1/31/2008

I snagged one of those a while back for the X2 system I purchased when all I was doing was looking for a couple gig of RAM. The prices on everything were too good to pass up. For the most part, this PSU will do just fine for about any system outside of a gaming or massive server. I've got an AM2 4000+ X2 running at 3Ghz with a couple of hard drives that does mostly nothing but fold. I'm using the integrated graphics on the board I have since it isn't a game machine but the PSU should have more than enough power to drop my old 7600GT into it when I upgrade my video card. As of right now, the PSU probably isn't pulling jack shit for wattage.

For a folding only box, that Antec EA380 is a tough deal to beat.

Back