Evil's little farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
Since I just joined the team, wanted to share my Folding Setup and the specs of my new rigs.

Specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium E2140 Allendale 1.6GHz 1MB L2 Cache
Overclocked @ 2.66Ghz

Cooler: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ABIT IB9 Intel P965 Socket 775 Motherboard

Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

CD-Rom: LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM DH-16D2S-04

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black

Power Supply: Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU ATX 12V 2.0 500W Power Supply

DSCN0008.JPG

Total Per System -

Case - $24.99 (After MIR)
Power Supply - $29.99 (After MIR)
CPU - $69.99
Cooler - $21.99
CD - $17.99
RAM - $18.50 (After MIR)
MB - $41.99
Case Fans - $6.00 (For 2)

Total - $231.44

Here are some pics of how the rest of the room is arranged.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1268873

helluva price on those...i paid as much for the quad as one of those entire rigs :D

NIce... what kind of production are you getting?

Can't give you a def number as of yet.
What I can say is, I had them on for a week running XP - 2 Consoles
When from 27 WU per week to 79 per week. That was with 2 of the new systems running.
I have three now.

Course, I could have gotten a lot of good WU that week on all my machines and that helped.
I know that week I seemed to get a ton of double gromatics on all machiens and those only take 3 hours to complete!

Now, they are running Linux CD to fold .... still using two consoles per machine.

All and all they can turn some WU's.

Why not the SMP client? what am i missing.?

I get asked that a lot.

To be honest, I don't want to deal with all the problems.
I read post after post on every forum with SMP client problems, WU problems, hanging systems, SMP WU not available , on and on ...... way to much to deal with ..

I just run my console clients (2 per machine) and churn out WU's

Since there are fewer non-smp clients running now, I have all the work i can handle, servers are always up, and never full.

Set it and forget it. I just do my weekly inspection to clean fans, and verify system is running. I might not get as many points as some systems, but I have 0% down time.

I get asked that a lot.

I read post after post on every forum with SMP client problems, WU problems, hanging systems, SMP WU not available , on and on ...... way to much to deal with ..

Since there are fewer non-smp clients running now, I have all the work i can handle, servers are always up, and never full.

Set it and forget it. I just do my weekly inspection to clean fans, and verify system is running. I might not get as many points as some systems, but I have 0% down time.

Your office is just plain way too nice looking, where are all the wires? It’s just no fun when you can’t trace a network cable among the 40 or 50 not in use.;)

As for SMP, especially under Linux, I think you will find it’s a pretty much start it and walk away kind of thing. You really don’t even need to know a thing about Linux, just cut and paste each line from the instructions at the download site and it simply works.

I think you will find, if you re-read some of those problem threads again, including my own almost every problem has been a reading the instructions thing, not an issue with the program itself.:rolleyes:

Nice looking farm though for sure. Do you give neat lessons?:D

Your office is just plain way too nice looking, where are all the wires? It’s just no fun when you can’t trace a network cable among the 40 or 50 not in use.;)
LOL ... tell the g/f that ... i get handed the pledge and a rag every two days and she says " If you want this .. you use that"" (fill in blanks were needed)
It took a little planning when the desk was setup. Connected all my APC and strips before build. All cables are under the desktop. Used the Belkin Cable Tunnels. There are 10 under the desktop all the way in the back.

As for SMP, especially under Linux, I think you will find it’s a pretty much start it and walk away kind of thing. You really don’t even need to know a thing about Linux, just cut and paste each line from the instructions at the download site and it simply works..

I no 0% about Linux. I am using a linux boot cd that folds. All i did was modify the config file to not include SMP as an option. In a few months, I might switch over to it.

I have been reading up on the SMP.
I have noticed that many of the problem posts are from a few months ago and many problems have been resolved.
I will most likey switch them over once i get my USB sticks in to put in my farm machines early next week.

I have noticed that many of the problem posts are from a few months ago and many problems have been resolved.
I will most likey switch them over once i get my USB sticks in to put in my farm machines early next week.

Good to know :) Too bad they aren't quads :(

I get asked that a lot.

I totally agree. I myself flipped back and forth between the SMP,GPU, and regular client when the SMP client first became available. I have settled for the SMP client for most of my machines and i have to admit that the only problem I had was when the SMP client looses its internet connection.

Cool. I'm interested in seeing how the E2140s with 1MB of cache do in Linux SMP. I'm guessing they'll each be in the 1300 - 1400 PPD range with 2653 work units. My E6700 at work @ 2.67 GHz gets 1592 PPD on that unit but it has 4MB of cache and is running in Windows. So I think you'll have a speed advantage running Linux, but will lose some speed due to the lack of cache. Regardless, you'll be producing way more points with SMP.

EDIT: Here's a guy with an E2160 at 3 GHz. He says he gets 1530 PPD with 2653 units so I think my estimate on your CPUs will be pretty close:

http://www.yougamers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=780839&postcount=5

BTW, here is your badge. Can't place it in your sig here, but you can add it to your posts whenever you like. Click on it to see www.hardfolding.com. You can get a bunch of info from their also. Good luck!

awesome folding farm. $231 is a great price too :D
I should be a folding farm like that for how cheap it is :)

What OS you running OP?

I am adding two more systems to my farm then i have to quit adding.

That will put me at my limit and how many I can hide from the g/f

Man, your setup is beautiful, thanks for the heads up.:D
Thanks for contributing.

Edit: This has probably been stated a "zillion" times, but here goes again. I have used LinuxSMP on a E6300, a E6400, a E6420, a Athlon x2 4200, a Celeron 346, a P4 2.66 (skt478, given away) and a couple of E6600's (at present, lookin' to see if I can save some elect power with a E8400 or a Q9450)). I fold on my boxes 24/7 and remembering to DL ia32bit-libs for Linux or if you're SMPing in Windose the "net" thing I have had no problemos. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Linux SMP is a "turn it on and forget it" (other than normal cleaning) program. On any box I've installed it on it has run perfectly and it seems "easy breezy" to install using the F@H question page. (plus SMP gets more pernts)

Edit: Oops, my bad. Obviously you can't SMP in either Linux or windose on a Celeron 346 (only a single core), I don't think you can on a P4 2.66 (FSB 800) either, even with hyperthread or maybe you can, but not meet the tight SMP deadlines?
I'll admit I'm one of the lazy ones as far as Linux goes. I tried Fedora 8 and Mandriva 2008, but I can't seem to get the urpmi or whatever together. (the rpm thing) I'll stick with the apt-get of Ubuntu any version. It's just so "easy breezy" on the operater, by any version I mean Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu or edubuntu (SP) 1x of my boxen Ubuntu v7.10, 1x boxen Xubuntu v7.10 and 1x boxen Ubuntu v8.04 (started out alpha 1, but with all the updates I'm using a 2.6.24-4-generic kernel now, I think it started out a 2.20 something kernel, I like the coretemp module incorporated in the kernel, plus I have several Webcams for security ) As far as distro's go if you're not SMPing I think Puppy, PClinuxOS, Freespire, DSL or any flavor uses less overhead than windose in the 32 bit enviorment (this's my $0.02 cents worth, I do respect Windows, just not for folding unless it was on a work box, all my machines are "dual" boots from licensed copys of WinXP w/SP2. Don't forget all flavors of Linux are free except Red Hat Linux (RHL), but I've heard the Centro's flavor is close to RHL <shrug> Even the VM thing for quads is free.
Hey thanks EvilAlchemist for turning me onto the 11 mb folding CD. I've got a E6300 around here just itchin' to give the CD a try. I can't remember, but I think there's a CD based on Linux out there somewhere, it's also all ready setup to fold on boot. You just need to change the team and name to yours. (I think it's called "Foldix" <shrug>)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Linux SMP is a "turn it on and forget it" (other than normal cleaning) program. On any box I've installed it on it has run perfectly and it seems "easy breezy" to install using the F@H question page. (plus SMP gets more pernts)

I know 0% about Linux, but I love it. I just burn the CD from the ISO, Turn the machine on, and walk away .... It is really that simple and it is awesome.

And yes, I will post some more pics when they new ones get online.

I know 0% about Linux, but I love it. I just burn the CD from the ISO, Turn the machine on, and walk away .... It is really that simple and it is awesome.

I also dont know much about Linux but I'm slowly getting there.
I use exactly the same install on my straight Linux clients, as i do on my VM Linux clients.
The only difference is 1 needs the DVD and the other can be installed off the ISO.

It also only takes about 30 mins from start to folding as opposed to +2 hours for Windoze.

Luck ........... :D

Man, your setup is beautiful, thanks for the heads up.:D
Thanks for contributing.

Edit: This has probably been stated a "zillion" times, but here goes again. I have used LinuxSMP on a E6300, a E6400, a E6420, a Athlon x2 4200, a Celeron 346, a P4 2.66 (skt478, given away) and a couple of E6600's (at present, lookin' to see if I can save some elect power with a E8400 or a Q9450)). I fold on my boxes 24/7 and remembering to DL ia32bit-libs for Linux or if you're SMPing in Windose the "net" thing I have had no problemos. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Linux SMP is a "turn it on and forget it" (other than normal cleaning) program. On any box I've installed it on it has run perfectly and it seems "easy breezy" to install using the F@H question page. (plus SMP gets more pernts)

The only problem I have with the Linux SMP client is the fact that it's in a beta state and must be updated once the expiration date on the client is up. For me, this is a non-issue since both my SMP boxen are at home and I use them on a daily basis.

As far as start it and forget it, it pretty much is. My X2@3Ghz is running on 34 days uptime at the moment and the only time it's not folding is when it's either sending a WU back or downloading a new one.

And yes, I will post some more pics when they new ones get online.

For uses such as folding, Linux really isn't that difficult depending on which distro you decide to use. Myself and Bill have experience with openSUSE 10 (I run 10.3 as my main OS as well as have it installed on 3 of my other systems), Tiger has probably gotten CentOS installs down to an art and others use Ubuntu and other flavors of Linux. For the most part, there will be someone here to help you. The only reason I mention different distros is because each one has a different way they do settings in the GUI. As for command line stuff, it's practically all the exact same.

Installing Linux is a breeze anymore. Almost all the major distros have a friendly and easy GUI installation setup. Some things may seem confusing but once you get used to some of the terms used, it's very easy to understand. That said, if you have any problems, there is likely someone here who can help you. If we can't, there are plenty of very smart people in the Linux OS subforum who are more than happy to help people.

If you end up grabbing some quads, there are plenty of people here who can help you out in regards to setting up VMWare or another virtualization program to run multiple VMs to maximize the points on a quad.

This isn't just aimed at you, but anyone on here who may want to move some folding boxen to Linux but haven't since it seems rather daunting.

Holy fawk, those things overclock 1ghz? Damn!

The E2140 will actually overclock to 3.0GHz .. i just do not push them that far.

I found just going to 2.66 (fsb from 800 to 1333) is the right balance plus no need to adjust voltage

Okay, I should have the two new systems parts by Tuesday and running by Friday.

I had to move UPS's and systems around to make it all fit and look nice.

Plus my usual wire hiding took some doing. (Had to take the whole freakin desk apart)

I was thinking of making a new thread with the whole setup including wiring, placment of ups, systems and it all.

Would you guys be interested in seeing something like that?

i'd be interesed....i need to start fixing my wiring mess for both my PCs and my entertainment center....right now it's a totally unbundled disaster, so i'm interested in seeing how other people are organizing

i'd be interesed....i need to start fixing my wiring mess for both my PCs and my entertainment center....right now it's a totally unbundled disaster, so i'm interested in seeing how other people are organizing
I would also be interested. Any ideas to manage tangled masses of wiring would be welcome indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back