Got my 9600GT OC Yesterday

It seems most 9600GT are released as 675Mhz on the core rather than the 650 that is stock. (or atleast speculated as stock) We'll have to see where this slots in. How much was it from BB?

229+tax, I know I could have saved if I had waited for it to show up at e-tailers, but I figured why not and got it anyways. I had the cash anyways.

8800 GT is cheaper and faster. So much for the "great replacement for 8600s pricepoint" theory.

1. Because the 8800GT would be way to much for the machine I was buying for
2. It was 30 bucks more
3. I'm guilty of limited stock price gouging but ohwell. The stock cards are supposed to be around 180 at launch. I paid a premium for a OC card. Again I state I could have waited but decided why not

the machine in question will only take P4HT procs, no PDs or C2D which would make the card shine. So an 8800GT would really be CPU bound. Also, the 8800GT performs about 10-20% better than a stock clocked 9600GT. Atleast according to the one single review out so far. Hell, It beats a 3870 in a few benches so I'm happy.

picsnx1.gif

One funny thing is the box says Overclocked for "free" performance boost, but every OC card is at a higher price. :D

One funny thing is the box says Overclocked for "free" performance boost, but every OC card is at a higher price. :D

It's a racket to fool the uninformed brick and mortar shopper, making them think they're getting more performance for free.

Educated shopping FTW!

It's a racket to fool the uninformed brick and mortar shopper, making them think they're getting more performance for free.

Educated shopping FTW!

I'll be honest, I do most of my shopping at newegg, but I didn't notice that line on the box until I went to take the pic. I could've waited and propably saved, but this way I buy it and the wife doesn't know about it.

Come on already give us some 3dmark06 scores! (Not that such scores are worth anything to real game preformance, but hey pretty numbers come on!)

Err.. how many watts is in that power supply? It looks pretty generic to me..

Probably a 250-350W, judging from all the Dells, HPs, and Gateways I've torn apart in my day...

If it's one thing the OEMs like to go cheap on, it's the PSU. They only put in what is absolutely needed to run the machine in a stable manner. Cost effective, yes. Upgrade friendly? Hell no.

Come on already give us some 3dmark06 scores! (Not that such scores are worth anything to real game preformance, but hey pretty numbers come on!)

One thing to keep in mind is that the proc is a 3.0Ghz HT P4. The system will not take a Pd or C2D which would help largely with performance. The 8600GT it replaced scored 3581 in that system. the 9600GT scores 3857. But, so far in the one game on the system, the 8600GT with mostly high settings, 1366x768(42" Vizio HDTV), 0xAA and 4xAF in DDO, it would do 40-50fps average with dips into the teens and peaks into the 70s. The 9600GT using exactly the same settings but now with 4xAA enabled, averages 50-60fps with dips into the 30s and peaks ner 100.

I don't mean to be rude, but the purchase was pretty dumb. You could get a 8800gt for cheaper from an online retailer which > 9600gt in performance. The 3870 can even be had right now for $199. To say you don't need the extra performance, because the machine is older.. definitely does not justify paying more and getting less.
It's your money, so yeah it's your choice.. but I just don't get it :confused: lol.

Take it back, order a 8800gt, and enjoy your extra money.

I don't mean to be rude, but the purchase was pretty dumb. You could get a 8800gt for cheaper from an online retailer which > 9600gt in performance. The 3870 can even be had right now for $199. To say you don't need the extra performance, because the machine is older.. definitely does not justify paying more and getting less.
It's your money, so yeah it's your choice.. but I just don't get it :confused: lol.

< $30 (less with shipping) is not worth the trouble of returning it and waiting for a new card imo.

1. purchased with cash wife didn't know about
2. BB 8800GT was 30 more
3. 8800GT would be even more bottlenecked than the 9600GT is in that rig
4. Online orders make it harder to recieve without wifey finding out.

What's with all the ragging on the guy who got something he likes?

Nice increase in performance, how's the vid quality on the Vizio?

What's with all the ragging on the guy who got something he likes?

Nice increase in performance, how's the vid quality on the Vizio?

The video quality is good although I only game on it for now. When I get an DVI to HDMI cable I'll try 1920x1080 on it with gaming and see how it goes. I dont watch any movies or anything thou. I have a Panasonic upconverting DVD player connected thru HDMI to the TV. I only game on it during the day when I'm home taking care of my son. I do watch Bleach and Naruto translated episodes on it thou, and the video quality there is total awesome.

1. Because the 8800GT would be way to much for the machine I was buying for

the machine in question will only take P4HT procs, no PDs or C2D which would make the card shine. So an 8800GT would really be CPU bound.

Crank the eye candy all the way up, including 4x AA...even with your cpu, the 8800GT would have been better. Not to mention at resale time, the 8800 would have gotten more....

But as long as YOU are happy.....:cool:

1. purchased with cash wife didn't know about
2. BB 8800GT was 30 more
3. 8800GT would be even more bottlenecked than the 9600GT is in that rig
4. Online orders make it harder to recieve without wifey finding out.

As a newly wed of about 3 months now, I am beginning to understand why your numbers 1 and 4 are very important... :D

I think this guy should have just let his wife know. Just think of how mad she will be if she finds out you where sneaking behind her back.

Ive been in the same situation. I always give my buddies the $ to order the card for me so the Wifey does not find out. You can get an 8800GT for as low as 185 after rebates. Even if your system is CPU limited atleast you have a good card for when you do decide to upgrade. Then again if your anything like me patience plays a big part when I buy things locally.

I think this guy should have just let his wife know. Just think of how mad she will be if she finds out you where sneaking behind her back.

Yeah, she is gonna open up his PC or dig through device manager and bust his A$$.... probably not.

As a newly wed of about 3 months now, I am beginning to understand why your numbers 1 and 4 are very important... :D

Been married for 18 months now, ya'll need to stop being scared of your wife! Seriously :(
It can be done (see my sig for proof!), oh and i'm not responsible if she mames you or leaves you.

As long as you're enjoying it, enjoy it.

However, you have 30 days left on price match so when these do crop up at e-tailers, just price match and get your money back! Hmm..what you did is actually pretty smart because you have the card NOW, and you can get the savings later on.

this is way off topic but i am totally creeped out over how scared of your wife you are.

this is way off topic but i am totally creeped out over how scared of your wife you are.

She is a small asian women and a very big mean streak. It isn't so much being afraid of her as it is I really really really dont want to hear her constant bitching for 1 week about having bought the card. And bitch for 1 week she will. She has done it before in the past.

If you had a wife who thinks anything related to a computer is shit and bitches about things for a week straight and holds grudges, you might think very differently on that.

haha... id rather take an A$$ whoopin any day then listen to my girl bitch at me constantly.... I feel your pain. Next time put someone elses name for delivery and say it must have been a mistake and you will take care of contacting the company. Then tell her UPS came back and grabbed the package to send it to its correct destination. Then just sneak it into the machine :D

+1

< $30 (less with shipping) is not worth the trouble of returning it and waiting for a new card imo.

:confused: You're wasting your money, dude. I for one would not have wasted my time and just ordered an 8800GT to begin with and just have dealt with the three day wait knowing I'm getting a much faster card. But it's your cash, and we can't -- nor should we -- stop you from spending it however you want to.

I get to splurge every now and then guilt free. Whats wrong with having a hobby.

ok, just picked up a DVI to HDMI adapter and it handles DDO with mostly high settings, 4xAA and 4xAF at 1920x1080 extremely well. smooth game play. stay above 25fps and averages about 33-36fps with peaks nearing 45. very very good card. Hopefully I'll be able to find a Dell board that will fit this case that is of 945 or higher chipset likeness so I can toss a C2D into it.

Back