EVGA 9800GX2 Unboxing and Benchmarks

AuDioFreaK39

Limp Gawd
My EVGA 9800GX2 just arrived on my doorstep this morning. Here is a little walkthrough of the unboxing routine as well as some pictures of it in my rig.

10:22AM - UPS delivery to front doorstep.
95dd809cfe0.jpg

3:05PM - Unboxing begins.
5490f176.jpg

The back of the packaging is very similar to EVGA's previous box-art designs. The "24/7 Tech Support" logo is the only new image I can notice.
8eafd943.jpg

The card was placed in a black foam container rather than the typical plastic mold used on previously produced models.
25fae3e4.jpg

Included in the package underneath the foam containing the card was a large white box. The only items inside of it however were two typical DVI-to-VGA adapters and an SPDIF connector (which is used to connect a discrete sound card to the 9800GX2 to allow for audio passthrough via HDMI, in case any of you were wondering :))
69b019dd.jpg

Here is a close-up of the connectors on the SPDIF cable for those interested.
72b28b89.jpg

And here you have it, the EVGA 9800GX2 01G-P3-N891-AR in all its sexyness :) The fan art was coated with clear removable plastic protection as usual, however there seems to be a problem with this (next picture)
630eaf21.jpg

So what the hell happened here? EVGA decided to place the Warranty Void if Removed sticker on the removable plastic protection! Quite ironic in my opinion.
4abfec50.jpg

My solution? Scotch tape :) I placed the sticker on the very bottom of the card with all the others so that its out of sight.
2207fbffek6.jpg

The SLi bridge connector now features a removable plastic cover for protection against damage.
a9b199da.jpg

d74c9c4d.jpg

EVGA decided to "Step-Up" their included stickers. The new design features a red Є and says "Powered by ЄVGA." A very aesthetic design in my opinion that I will be adding to my collection of stickers :)
d19756d9.jpg

Here is the rig it will be installed into. Note the absence of a rear 120mm panel. I'm going to be adding a new ESA-compliant water cooling system next month or so :)
abe936aa.jpg

Installed:
127fbfda.jpg

Quoted from [H]ard|OCP: "Another interesting thing about this video card, it lights up! This will be true for all GeForce 9800 GX2s; they have several LEDs placed throughout the video card for various purposes to indicate problems. The first ones you will notice are around the power connectors. If you have power properly plugged in the connectors will light up green. If you do not, they will light up red. There are also LEDs right inside the exhaust slights, 3 LEDs on both sides, that light up the back with glowing green light. Then there is another green and blue light right on the bracket itself, and when it is dark you can see the blue light shining through the top of the video card."

50a9700a.jpg

f4c4f50b.jpg

746f7f08.jpg

And finally, a complete setup with the 9800GX2 installed. Keep it \M/ETAL.

be7c3b21.jpg

Benchmarks are on the way. Installing drivers and configuring the Nvidia Control Panel at the moment. Specs are included in my sig (minus the Q9550 - right now I'm on a Celeron 430 @ 3.06GHz - which is basically single core Core 2 architecture)

*UPDATE*

Wow, I just noticed something particularly interesting about this card. According to GPU-Z 0.1.7, each internal silicon substrate is given its own separate BIOS number like so:

59605283yb6.png

Is this..normal?

very cool, looking forward to your benchmarks...do you run single or multiple monitors?

Something about that picture doesn't look right....
Q9550 & 9800GX2....and a stock intel cooler.

That thing looks hella sexy though.. thanks for the photos :)

All that power and using a Celeron? You need a new CPU more than a GX2 but ENJOY!

No shit. Could've at least gone with a 2160 for a temp CPU ;)

Oc'd it to hell and back waiting on the quad of course...lol

Here's just a quick preview of what's new in the Nvidia Control Panel while I run my benchies. I'm sure some of you have seen this before, but it gave me a good laugh to see it ask me this question on my own screen.

captureso0.png

Anyways *runs 3DMark*

Thanks for the info, and the pict's AuDioFreaK39... :cool:

The GX2 just looks like a card that demands respect!

Would you mind taking a picture of the bottom left part of the box? You know, where it shows the X preformance thinggy.

Mehhh...

IDK. Its quite early isn't it? To already be flocking to buy these things? IDK.

Card looks nice though. Nice rig, and good luck. :)

(M4L)

Would you mind taking a picture of the bottom left part of the box? You know, where it shows the X preformance thinggy.

Ahh yes I forgot, the infamous comparison chart. It's odd how it's just a copy/paste job of what you see on the GeForce 8 series boxes. No mention of the 9800GX2 - not even the 9600GT..

c82db466.jpg

Er.... that's pretty weak.. No actual info for the product you're actually getting in the box. LOL.

Ahh I'm seeming to have issues with these drivers or something. RivaTuner doesn't even detect my card anymore, and taking a screenshot of my desktop yields a weird artifacting problem like so:

5c3a1250.png

Any ideas?

Ok, stop the grinnin' and drop the linen....let's see what the girl can do.

*edit after seeing last post pic* Dump her immediately.

Oh no worries man. As soon as an affordable and sexy looking 24" Dell or Samsung comes out with a DisplayPort connection, I'll be all over it :)

You bought a $650 video card and you used the world "affordable" in describing your intentions for future PC upgrades?

I'll bet dollars to donuts he was disappointed in his 3dMark score and he OC'd it too hard.

LOOOL!

And back on topic:
You don't know how pissed I'd be if that happened to a brand new card I got.

I can not take screenshots either.

However, my card works fine. Just the screenshot function is messed up and doing what yours shows.

omg, classic!
but yeah, poor guy. i'd be pretty ticked.
i think i'll pass on this one, gonna wait for the GTX.

hehe, you bet im ticked :rolleyes:. But I just tried out CoD4 for 10 split seconds to "preview" the great performance and WOW.....yes, i came, and had to change my....anyways...

I can not take screenshots either.

However, my card works fine. Just the screenshot function is messed up and doing what yours shows.

I'm trying to get this thing working in RivaTuner. Have you been successful yet?

hehe, you bet im ticked :rolleyes:. But I just tried out CoD4 for 10 split seconds to "preview" the great performance and WOW.....yes, i came, and had to change my....anyways...

I'm trying to get this thing working in RivaTuner. Have you been successful yet?

Screenshots did the same thing with my 8800 GTXs using the 174.xx betas in SLI. It's a driver bug, not a card bug.

Well, since I can't take a screenshot from Vista of the problem, heres a real life screenshot with a real life camera ;)

dsc02450rg3.jpg

RivaTuner doesn't know what a 9800GX2 is. It probably won't until the next version, or until someone figures out how to mod the inis so it'll show up; I'd guess that isn't possible, though, as it's two GPUs on one card, rather than a new card with an already supported GPU (as with the 8800 GTS 512MB a couple versions ago).

You'll have to actually use nTune beta 6 (should be on your CD...). A fate worse than death if you ask me.

Oh my God lol. A simple RivaTuner 2.08 reinstall and now it's working just fine, ugh..

BENCHMARKING TIME!! :) :)

Back