EVGA 9800GX2 Unboxing and Benchmarks

Sorry couldn't help myself.

frown.jpg

Lmao, that's gold haha.

Wow, you definitely need to do something about that CPU of yours, you'll realize the full potential once you do. 6000+ marks holy moly lol.

Hey OP can you do me a favor and run a slide show using the Windows Photo Gallery or picture viewer? I'm curious to see if that stuttering bug is still present. Basically the screen will freeze during transitions and they are almost never smooth. It was a known issue with SLI and Vista 64bit. I ran dual GTXs earlier this year and had the problem. I'm in the process of stepping up to the GX2.

TIA

Hey OP can you do me a favor and run a slide show using the Windows Photo Gallery or picture viewer? I'm curious to see if that stuttering bug is still present. Basically the screen will freeze during transitions and they are almost never smooth. It was a known issue with SLI and Vista 64bit. I ran dual GTXs earlier this year and had the problem. I'm in the process of stepping up to the GX2.

TIA

No stuttering bug present in Windows Photo Gallery slideshow view :). But there's still that mspaint artifacting issue as noted in the above posts ^_^

Lmao, okay here they are you guys, first results...and you guessed it, they suck!
lol.png
Thanks to my Celeron.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=5834016

OMFG dude your system is a silly, messy, cofigurationy (lol I know...) disaster. You put a 9800GX2 in a system w/ a Celeron and 4 Gigs of RAM?...... Did you like buy the system in a store then just customize it or something.

This isn't flaming you or anything because I can understand it if you're on a budget. I just think it's silly :p.

very nice, now the OP really needs to update the rest of his rig. I get like 10k 3dmark with my current rig...:(
The OP is running on a Celeron, wtf man thats weak oldschool tech! You need to upgrade bigtime. The dual cores/Quad cores now all run at much higher Cache and Bus speeds, it will pwn that celeron and run that 9800GX2 nicely.

6k 3dmark thats ridiculous you should be spanked with the shame paddle until your buttocks become pixelated and red. I'd never tell anyone if that was my computer. Just could not wait to brag, could you?

6k 3dmark thats ridiculous you should be spanked with the shame paddle until your buttocks become pixelated and red. I'd never tell anyone if that was my computer. Just could not wait to brag, could you?

Well at least he KNOWS that his system is being EXTREMELY bottlenecked by his Celery. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen people get a ridiculous card w/ a crappy processor and then not know why they are getting shit performance.

To OP: Obviously your next step is a better processor. I would wait for the Q9xxx becomes more mainstream and hit one of those up if I were you.

Yeah I built a q6600 last week - blazin. The best value for money right now, what I would buy if there were better SLI motherboard options.

Still blows my mind you dropped 600$+ for work that a 200$ card could do on that monitor.

Still blows my mind you dropped 600$+ for work that a 200$ card could do on that monitor.

Why doesn't everyone read the thread?

a) He's buying a good 20-24" monitor with DisplayPort.. pg1

b) Read his sig.. the Celery is a temporary processor, holding him over till get gets a quad-core Penryn.

For some people upgrading is a multi-step process. Give him some time but he is heading in the right direction.

You paired that card with a celeron and a 1280x1024 monitor? Wow. Seriously. Wow. Thats like sending a hooker to a baptism party.

Thanks audiofreak for sharing all the pictures of the new GX2. Obviously there's no need to beat him over the head with admonitions over his subpar CPU and monitor. He knows that already as do we. I'm sure he'll get new ones as time and money permit. Obviously until then these benchmarks are worthless as far as gauging the strength of the card.

You paired that card with a celeron and a 1280x1024 monitor? Wow. Seriously. Wow. Thats like sending a hooker to a baptism party.

Already was pointed out...

Why doesn't everyone read the thread?

a) He's buying a good 20-24" monitor with DisplayPort.. pg1

b) Read his sig.. the Celery is a temporary processor, holding him over till get gets a quad-core Penryn.

Man, There's a dead horse getting beat in this thread.

Nice card, GLHF on the new monitor ;)

Wow, you definitely need to do something about that CPU of yours, you'll realize the full potential once you do. 6000+ marks holy moly lol.

OMFG dude your system is a silly, messy, cofigurationy (lol I know...) disaster. You put a 9800GX2 in a system w/ a Celeron and 4 Gigs of RAM?...... Did you like buy the system in a store then just customize it or something.

This isn't flaming you or anything because I can understand it if you're on a budget. I just think it's silly :p.

very nice, now the OP really needs to update the rest of his rig..
As far as I know, the only thing that needs an upgrade is the CPU (see explanation below)

Well at least he KNOWS that his system is being EXTREMELY bottlenecked by his Celery. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've seen people get a ridiculous card w/ a crappy processor and then not know why they are getting shit performance.

To OP: Obviously your next step is a better processor. I would wait for the Q9xxx becomes more mainstream and hit one of those up if I were you.

Wow, did you guys not read the last few sentences of my original post? I'M GETTING A Q9550 NEXT WEEK. The Celeron was a temporary processor to hold me over since there have been SO MANY DAMN PRODUCT DELAYS..damnit Intel :(. I've been looking forward to this particular CPU since August, and I had a prime opportunity to buy a Q6600 during Black Friday for $199 but I decided to hold off and wait until *January* for a Q9550. Due to unfortunate product delays, however, I've been stuck waiting until the end of MARCH, and therefore it's pointless to state that my benchmarks are crap because I more than obviously know that. My rig has been built on the philosophy of "know what to buy, and exactly when to buy it." Unfortunately, two instances came up with Intel and Nvidia delaying their new series of CPUs and GPUs (I expected the GT200 by late January and the Q9550 in January), and so, as I've already stated, the $42 dollar Celeron was intended to hold me over until these two companies got their acts together. If I had known about these immense product delays ahead of time instead of sporadically through these long winter months, then I would have had a Q6600 for a very long time with more than desirable benchmarks. Unfortunately, it takes more than just delay factors to alter my growing and weary patience..

Audiofreak... lets us rag on you, dont fight back, because next week your system will dominate our faces. Now everyone point and laugh at his CPU. ;)

I appreachiate your report buddy!!

I also saw that you mid way through an upgrade...

Some of these posts just seem rude?

Keep up the fine job, and know that you have friends here too. :)

I posted this in your thread on Anandtech forums, but you don't seem to be interested in that thread anymore, so here it goes...

Two questions:

1) No issues with the IP35 Pro and enabling SLI on the card then?

2) Did you have the issues with the 8-pin power connector like they had at guru3d, or was this fixed for the retail cards? http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/512/9/

I posted this in your thread on Anandtech forums, but you don't seem to be interested in that thread anymore, so here it goes...

Two questions:

1) No issues with the IP35 Pro and enabling SLI on the card then?

2) Did you have the issues with the 8-pin power connector like they had at guru3d, or was this fixed for the retail cards? http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/512/9/

1) No issues whatsoever. I'm using the latest official bios (dated 9/7/07). Just make sure you install ForceWare 174.53 (or greater) drivers. I accidentally installed 174.51 at first and the card had several issues with enabling SLi in the Nvidia Control Panel.

2) No, I didn't have the severe issue that they experienced, mine was only mild. The funny thing about connecting the 8-pin cable to the GPU is that the connector is placed backwards on the card, because the two internal silicon cards are facing each other. So in a sense, because the lower internal card is placed in backwards, you have to twist your 8-pin PCI-E cable to fit it in the connector. I had to apply some force to the bottom side of the card to get the it in, which took me two tries., but I didn't think it was that difficult. The 8-pin connectors on my PC Power & Cooling Silencer Quad 750w fit in just snug.

Wow, I just noticed something particularly interesting about this card. According to GPU-Z 0.1.7, each internal silicon substrate is given its own separate BIOS number like so:

59605283yb6.png

Is this..normal?

I am worried about my Silverstone DA750 having issues with that PCIE 8 pin connector. Strange how users of the ATI 2900 8 pin connectors never mentioned such connection problems.

I am worried about my Silverstone DA750 having issues with that PCIE 8 pin connector. Strange how users of the ATI 2900 8 pin connectors never mentioned such connection problems.

Not really. The 2900s don't have a HSF shroud or casing around their 8 pin connectors. This, if I understand correctly, is the cause of the issue some are running in to with the 9800GX2. Nvidia didn't leave "extra" clearance around the PCIe power ports in their reference design (all boards currently available are using the reference design) and many PSU manufacturers made their plugs slightly "thicker" than spec officially allows to increase longevity.

ah yes, I hear ya. Never really looked into it, just kinda came to mind while posting so I typed it in.

Can tell ya right now, his mobo is gonna hold him back. The vdroop issues with this mobo are not gonna help him with oc'n.

For nitro - This mobo supports crossfire, not sli. Unless if there is some update or something I'm unaware of.

Back