Holy HOT Chipset batman!

Llathos

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I picked up Gigabytes new 780G mATX board. I have to say, thus far it's been a really great board.

One thing that's got my attention, though, is that as I type this there is a hardware monitor telling me that the north bridge on my board is running at 85C.

Seriously? 85C?!

I guess a chipset fan is in order. I didn't think bridges were designed for this kinds of temps...

Ok, maybe I'm retarded...I'm not sure yet.

Running CPUID HW monitor. Under "Temperatures", there's 3 temp probes reporting:

TMPIN0
TMPIN1
TMPIN2

0 and 1 are 33 and 38 C respectively.

2 is 82-85C

Anyone know what TMPIN2 actually physically is?

No, not really....I'm looking into getting new case fans and right now it's just running open air.

Here's a picture:

HWMon.jpg

Well I tried CPUID Hardware Monitor and none of those TMPIN# temps show my correct NB Temp.

No, not really....I'm looking into getting new case fans and right now it's just running open air.

Here's a picture:

HWMon.jpg

that is really hot, i'd throw a fan on it, or maybe even a better/beefier heatsink... my northbridge with .1 more volts than default, and 4 sticks of ram stays right around ~43C idle and underload, ambient in my case is 40C

If the number is changing (Updating) then something probably is running at that temp.
Get a spare fan and blow certain parts of your case and see if it goes down.

85C sounds like something isn't mounted properly or the manufacturer forgot the thermal paste. If the temps go down when you blow air on it, then that could be the case. Then again that proggie could just be reading the temps wrong...

I was looking at the bios for this board looks like TMPIN2 is a no connect, and a invalid reading. TMPIN0 is the motherboard temp and TMPIN1 is the CPU temp.

It occurs to me that it might be the temp of the IGP?

Maybe?

I looked in the BIOS for a way to disable the IGP, but the only thing I saw was an initialization order (PCIe vs IGP). I chose PCIe, but that doesn't mean it's not on and consuming juice and producing heat.

Of course, if that were true it makes no sense why it would heat up so fast running Orthos Prime...

For me, I think TMPIN0 is the Northbridge (650i). It jumps up immediately as soon as I start Orthos or some other stress program and cools down almost immediately once I stop the stressing. Though mine never gets to 85C! Usually it tops out somewhere in the low 40's....I have a 60mm fan strapped to the heatsink which does it's job well because the heatsink just gets warm, not burning or anything, to the touch under stress.

Just food for thought...

If you're worried about heat issues on your northbridge, I would highly recommend either the Thermalright HR-05/IFX or the HR-05/IFX SLI. Add a cheap 80MM fan on, and your northbridge is likely to never bother you again.

Ok, now I'm starting to believe Zardoz's comment.

I thought it was the north bridge b/c the NB gets really warm (still, 85C seems crazy) so I stuck an old PII CPU fan on it (hooray for never throwing anything away!).

It moves some air and is nice and quiet.

Temps after fan install?

81C

Ugh.

my northbridge hit 95*C on a 3.6 Ghz overclock on a p35 chipset with all four cores loaded on prime 95...It's too hot, I too need a fan (passive northbridge cooler)

BUT the PC doesn't crash so it probably doesn't matter too much. If my motherboard lifespan is reduced a few years it won't matter much because I'll be out of this motherboard and onto the next long before that happens.

Well, I officially give.

I just took out my MB, took off the NB, cleaned the heatsink (had one of those grey squares), and added a nice thin layer of silver thermal compound and remounted.

I put the fan back on.

New temp?

81C.

Fuck it.

I think you really need to work out exactly what reading is coming from what chip / area properly. How do you know for sure that the 85c is the NB? Try a few diffrent utilities that read temps and work out which is which. I've personally found the latest Everest seems to get all the temps Ok.

To narrow things down why don't get yourself a can of spray freeze and give chips / areas a squirt and see what temps change. You usually get a nice long nozzle attachment with spray freeze that you can pinpoint certain areas.

Fell the heatsink on the northbridge. If it burns you immediately and leaves a mark, then your northbridge probably is running that hot. If it doesn't do that, then your northbridge is not running that hot. The chances of your northbridge running that hot and the system not crashing is very slim. It's likely that if your northbridge actually got that hot it would probably fry.

The heat sink is extremely hot to the touch.

I can stand it for about 3 seconds.

I added 2 case fans and a 40 mm fan to the heatsink. No effect.

Strangely, I sprayed the can of air on it (inverted...for liquid stupid cold). It chilled the heatsink WAY down so I could hold my finger to it and it felt cool/warm.

Temps in HW Mon: TMPIN1 dropped to 31C, TMPIN2 dropped to 80C

Everest doesn't appear to show anything other than my HDD temp...

dude,

Have you increased your MCH voltage?

In your first post you say so far it's been a really nice board. Assumingly it's been running at 85* the whole time you've owned the board. It obviously isn't unstable.

Don't worry about it and DON'T go freezing your chip by turning compressed air upside down or something...That's crazy advice. It probably wouldn't hurt it --- but that's a HUGE stress on anykind of material to have that wild of a change in temprature that fast and chances are you wouldn't be able to keep it solely on the northbridge - splashing other components with that wouldn't be good at all!

I think you really need to work out exactly what reading is coming from what chip / area properly. How do you know for sure that the 85c is the NB? Try a few diffrent utilities that read temps and work out which is which. I've personally found the latest Everest seems to get all the temps Ok.

To narrow things down why don't get yourself a can of spray freeze and give chips / areas a squirt and see what temps change. You usually get a nice long nozzle attachment with spray freeze that you can pinpoint certain areas.

I'd love to isolate that temp...I'm just not sure where else to look....

NB and SB are the only other components I can think of. From what I've read, the NB really only dissipates about 11W. I can't imagine how it could get to 200F that way...

Ok, so I'm checking out the Everest corporate demo.

Check THIS shit out...

Code:
Temperatures:
      Motherboard                                       37 °C  (99 °F)
      CPU                                               85 °C  (185 °F)
      CPU #1 / Core #1                                  16 °C  (61 °F)
      CPU #1 / Core #2                                  16 °C  (61 °F)
      Aux                                               32 °C  (90 °F)
      GPU1: GPU                                         45 °C  (113 °F)
      GPU1: GPU Memory                                  37 °C  (99 °F)
      GPU1: GPU Ambient                                 36 °C  (97 °F)
      GPU2: GPU Diode                                   -1 °C  (30 °F)
      WDC WD6400AAKS-00A7B0                             [ TRIAL VERSION ]

So, can anyone explain how my CPU is four times the temperature of my individual cores?

16C cores? Are you on water?
If you're looking for CPU temps then use core temp.
:p

Nope, stock HSF. I've noticed that my CPU temps are showing really low...

They spike up when under load, but the 780G board appears to be throttling the cores down.

I've seen them sit at 8C-10C when the machine is idle...

Telling you it's a no connect a northbridge or custom support chip on a motherboard is not going to run at 85c wilh just a small passive heat sink it would fail fast.

Why don't you reach in your case and touch the heatsink?
You can tell a lot by the temps of the heatsink to your fingers.
:)

85C should hurt, actually.
So if you touch it and it burns, then I guess you know! In fact if ANYTHING in your case is running at 85C, then it would feel like a sauna in there. Just reaching your hand into the case, you should feel some massive amounts of heat.
If the air in the case doesn't feel burning hot, then obviously nothing is running at 85C. Especially a NB, since it doens't have a fan, that heat is just floating around inside.

I added 2 case fans and a 40 mm fan to the heatsink. No effect.

Strangely, I sprayed the can of air on it (inverted...for liquid stupid cold). It chilled the heatsink WAY down so I could hold my finger to it and it felt cool/warm.

Temps in HW Mon: TMPIN1 dropped to 31C, TMPIN2 dropped to 80C

Everest doesn't appear to show anything other than my HDD temp...

i'd either RMA the board, or get try a beefier heatsink/fan, and if that doens't lower it, then RMA it.

Nope, stock HSF. I've noticed that my CPU temps are showing really low...

They spike up when under load, but the 780G board appears to be throttling the cores down.

I've seen them sit at 8C-10C when the machine is idle...

I don't have any experience in the AMD processors but those CPU temps sound amazing.

I tried to find an AMD 780G chipset datasheet on the AMD site and no go (much worse than the Intel site to find anything). The 780G seems to pack in a lot more than your usual Intel northbridge chip (including graphics processing etc.). Maybe because of all the extra it does, that it will run a lot hotter than standard intel northbridge chips. It would be nice to find a datasheet on it though...

Have you tried the Gigabyte Easy Pro 5 utility. It has a hardware monitor section that shows temps etc. (for my setup it does anyway).

Telling you it's a no connect a northbridge or custom support chip on a motherboard is not going to run at 85c wilh just a small passive heat sink it would fail fast.

I want to believe that, but why would a no-connect scale in temperature under load?

Have you tried the Gigabyte Easy Pro 5 utility. It has a hardware monitor section that shows temps etc. (for my setup it does anyway).

I have Easy Tune Pro 5 on my motherboard CD. I installed that and interestingly, it's only reporting the CPU and "System" temps.

37C CPU and 32C system

If the northbridge was running 85C you wouldn't be able to hold your finger on it that long as it would instantly burn your finger and give you a nice blister. Trust me, your northbridge is not running anywhere close to 85C.

It's a newer chipset and motherboard and right now you probably don't have anything that is correctly reading the temps on that board. The CPU temps are way off especially since they can't be colder than the room temp and it's unlikely that it's well below 60F in your room. This is typical for temps and AMD processors. Few programs show the correct temps for AM2 or newer AMD processors. My AM2 4000+ [email protected] Ghz with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro showing mid to upper 20s for my processor under full load using lm_sensors and gkrellm. There is no way I'm getting those temps when my ambient temp is 25C. Now, if I add about 20C to those totals, I'm probably starting to get close to the actual temps of the cores.

Ok, I'll keep running stock passive NB heat sink then and hope for the best.

By the way, under Prime testing when I touched it, it was more like 1.5 seconds, and I had a mark on my finger. It's certainly stupid-hot...but maybe it's not 85C.

I wish I had an infrared thermometer to shoot at the heat sink...

Use coretemp for correct cpu core temps but as far as your NB temps I dont think its 85C.. sounds like a bad sensor reading and maybe a bios update will resolve your temp readings. Thats just REALLY hot. I was complaining about my NB hitting 53C under load lol.

Just throw a small chipset fan on the existing heatsink. Attach it with rubber epoxy so you can peel it off later if you want to. Though, there are ONLY TWO fan headers (grrr ><) so you'd likely need to 4 pin molex a fan

I own the same board and I'm in love with it.

Hit up the AVSForum.com thread on this mobo (google "avs + mobo-model-name") you'll find much more info.

I'll definitely do that. Gotta make a run over to microcenter and look for an inexpensive fan to put on there.

Out of curiosity, what temps are you seeing with CPUID HW Monitor kent? Is your NB running hot too?

Ok, I'll keep running stock passive NB heat sink then and hope for the best.

By the way, under Prime testing when I touched it, it was more like 1.5 seconds, and I had a mark on my finger. It's certainly stupid-hot...but maybe it's not 85C.

I wish I had an infrared thermometer to shoot at the heat sink...

If your only able to touch the heatsink for only that long and its leaving a mark, I am thinking that maybe your actual chip is running that hot. Its not that your heatsink is running at 85c, it would be a lot lower if its doing its job.

If you open up the latest beta of Speedfan and see the 85c posted somewhere, via the config menus it should show you the chip id of where its getting that reading from (i.e. if its not the actual 780G chip).

Surely if the chip does normally run that hot, the motherboard designers would have put better cooling on it than just a standard NB heatsink and no fan. Without something to compare it to (another user with same setup), it might be a good idea to log a question with Gigabyte.

when in doubt get a thermal infer-red Heat gun and check the temp manually... also possibly buy some kind of heat probe device like an aerocool 2 or some product that uses Heat probes.

If the tempuratures are this High I would seriously recommend more chipset cooling, if its really hot to the touch as you say it is, it would be wise to give it some kind of after Market chipset cooler or water block.

Possible remove the Heatsink A check in consentricity with the chip surface you may have a cooler that is is defective and isnt sitting straight on the chipset dye,

Well, I don't have an infrared thermometer...but I did realize my wife has a nice kitchen thermometer with a long metal probe on it.

I stuck that into the heatsink as far as I could get it (still not touching the base, but not far) and it was reading 120F under load.

That's a far cry from the 211F reported to the software...

I'm thinking a chipset cooling solution is in order here. I'm going to Microcenter to see what they've got.

Ok, I think I'm officially done with this issue.

I just bought and installed:

Thermalright Extreme Spirit II
3 x Enermax Marathon 80mm case fans

The contents of the case are downright cool. The north bridge heatsink is basically cold.

CPUID Hardware Monitor: 81C

I officially call bullshit. I don't regret cooling that NB because it was stupid hot...but there's no way in hell it's 81c now.

Back