Eye candy: EVGA 9800GTX unboxing + Accelero S1 installation (Dialup = oh no!)

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
Got an EVGA 9800GTX a few weeks ago and took pictures for you guys when I first opened and installed it, but didn't get around to posting them until just now.

The card is loooooong! I actually had to hack into the drive cage on my Antec Solo case in order to make the card fit.

On with the photos!

UH OH! It doesn't fit in my Antec Solo! The drive cage structure gets in the way!

What did I do? In a fit of anger I ripped everything out of the case and took it outside where I proceeded to mangle the drive cage with my reciprocating saw. :mad: (Reminder to self: I need to buy a dremel badly)

No pictures of the carnage unfortunately, but here is a picture of the card finally installed in my machine.

Damn thing fits now! :)

She's a nice board for sure, although why they needed to make it so long is beyond me.

Some of you may remember my '8800GT + Accelero S1' review thread here at the [H] a couple of months ago. The Accelero S1 served me well on the 8800GT, but I sold the card after purchasing the 9800GTX and the new buyer didn't want the Accelero S1. So whats a bored geek to do?

Yup! Let's see if that bad boy fits on the 9800GTX! :D

Notes:

• I re-used the ramsinks that came with the Accelero S1 after I pulled them off my old 8800GT. To get the old thermal tape off took an overnight soak in a glass of WD-40, lots of patience and elbow grease, followed by a thorough cleaning with Arctic Silver's 2-part cleaning kit. Then I used some 'FragTape' that I've had sitting around for a few years. :p
  • You'll notice I didn't add any sinks to the power regulation circuitry. You'll find varying opinions on wether the FETs need sinking or not, but truth is they don't so long as there is a minimal amount of airflow over them. They are rated to operate at up to 100C. With that being said that Iandh guy is working on a set of custom sinks for the 9800GTX and I might buy them later for this purpose.
  • The card ran at 55C idle and 72C load at stock speed with the original cooler.
    With the Accelero S1 installed with Arctic Silver 5 I'm getting 36C idle and 52C load.
    Niiiiice. :)

FUCK ME DEAD....man thats a shittass biggmoma card!!! And I doubt it with those coolers added on...your gonna get the gfx to fit in that little shoebox case of yours! lol

And also....you planning on overclocking that baby?? I mean....those coolers are like dry ice compared to the old stock 9800 cooler...and what temps you getting and also benchmarked that thing yet?

And also....I'm damned amzed at how that little 450W PSU can keep all things together, since you got that "Thing" fitted in your comp!:eek:

lol That thing is huge. Almost as long as the voodoo 5 ;)

7voodoo5-6000.jpg

Voodoo 5??? How long is the Voodoo 5?

That 450w has 33A on the 12v rail IIRC, more than enough for a 9800GTX and a couple of hard drives.

Anyway, OVAHCLOCK IT! Also, wire management! My p150 ( same as solo) can have really neat wires if you put in like 30 minutes of work.

Thats a lot of hardware for 450w.

It pulls about 320 watts under full load measured at the wall...

And the only reason it's that high is because of my extra HDD, extra DVD-R/RW, and extra fans. Check the [H] review on the 9800GTX and you'll see that their system pulled like 283w under load... :)

That 450w has 33A on the 12v rail IIRC, more than enough for a 9800GTX and a couple of hard drives.

Anyway, OVAHCLOCK IT! Also, wire management! My p150 ( same as solo) can have really neat wires if you put in like 30 minutes of work.

Well I busted out half of the wire hooks when I got pissed off and took my reciprocating saw to the drive cage. :D But yeah I definitely need to redo my wiring job, but I figure in another few weeks I'll be getting a new case anyway so why bother? :)

as far as performance goes, do you notice a big difference between your old card and this one?

as far as performance goes, do you notice a big difference between your old card and this one?

At stock the 9800GTX performs almost exactly the same as my 8800GT did overclocked. Overclocked to 775/1944/2300 the 9800GTX definitely provides a noticeable increase in performance in most games with the eye candy turned up.

And that 775/1944/2300 was as far as I was willing to go with the stock cooler. Now that the Accelero is onboard I'll have to see how far I can really push the core. :D

At stock the 9800GTX performs almost exactly the same as my 8800GT did overclocked. Overclocked to 775/1944/2300 the 9800GTX definitely provides a noticeable increase in performance in most games with the eye candy turned up.

And that 775/1944/2300 was as far as I was willing to go with the stock cooler. Now that the Accelero is onboard I'll have to see how far I can really push the core. :D

let us know how far you overclock the core! - I am about to buy the same card (maybee the ssc edition though) and then overclock it. I would like to know how far it will go.

I got mine to 800/2000/1150 so far. Kinda dissappointed in the memory overclock. That was with an S1 and two 120mm fans.

I got mine to 800/2000/1150 so far. Kinda dissappointed in the memory overclock. That was with an S1 and two 120mm fans.

Is it the heat that wont let it any further? Also that is a great clock speed considering it started at 675!

1150 is as high as I can go on the memory on my card as well, it seems to be a common factor amongst most 9800GTX stories I've heard sofar.

I'm currently running 775/1944/1150 but I've had the core as high as 817 sofar without any apparent artifacting. I'm a little leary of running it that high even with the Accelero... :eek:

1150 is as high as I can go on the memory on my card as well, it seems to be a common factor amongst most 9800GTX stories I've heard sofar.

I'm currently running 775/1944/1150 but I've had the core as high as 817 sofar without any apparent artifacting. I'm a little leary of running it that high even with the Accelero... :eek:

Great Job. I keep a link handy for reference to your 8800GT / S1 install. This one's excellent as well and as the other have said, damn that card looks huge. Love two of your pics where the card appears to be as long as your keyboard. :p :) :p

longassus6.jpg

Is it the heat that wont let it any further? Also that is a great clock speed considering it started at 675!

Cant say yet, havent really had any time to tinker around with it. With the S1 and low speed fans/silent it gets to about 70 degrees with ati tool.

This thread inspired me, just ordered an Accelero S1 Rev 2 with the Turbo Module.

I have a Accelero S1 on the way also, for my 9800gtx by Evga. its identical set up :)

so far i only pushed it to 825 core / 2000 shader / 1175 memory

My PSU is having problems since i installed the card, i have to restart my comp several times before it gets a signal from the video card to monitor. Im thinkin its my powersupply. But since i ordered the S1 and soon a Xigmatek CPU heatsink... i dont have money for PSU lol.

its a pain turnin it on, cuz it sometimes works and sometimes need to do it twice

as soon as i sell my present card i will be getting this card. I will end up water-cooling it so i should be able to get at least 815 core clock if not more. I will push it as far as i can but i would like to know the highest the core can go. I wonder if it can reach 850 or more?

I dont have one of those cards yet but i bet one of duorbs would fit on it. They keep my 8800gts 512 cards below 58 under load! I might try one of those if you want to stay with fans. plus it only takes up two slots unlike the three slot for the s1

Great job!

And great mod on the card I love it.

Just had a question about noise. How does it sound?

Great job!

And great mod on the card I love it.

Just had a question about noise. How does it sound?

I don't hear it, but then again I have plenty of other fans in my case. Definitely no whine or anything, just a slight whisper.

I dont have one of those cards yet but i bet one of duorbs would fit on it. They keep my 8800gts 512 cards below 58 under load! I might try one of those if you want to stay with fans. plus it only takes up two slots unlike the three slot for the s1

The Thermaltake DuOrb should fit on the 9800GTX just fine. The 9800GTX uses the same mounting hole pattern as the 8800GT and GTS do.

Can you run the S1 on your 9800 GTX with just 1 120mm fan on it? I would like to put just 1 scythe sflex 800 rpm fan on it...

Can you run the S1 on your 9800 GTX with just 1 120mm fan on it? I would like to put just 1 scythe sflex 800 rpm fan on it...

Yes. You'll likely have to use some slim zip ties to secure it, though. I did that on my S1, but then just took the fan off altogether to see how it does passively. Never gets above 52C at full load on my 8800GT, so the fan isn't going back on. :cool:

Yes. You'll likely have to use some slim zip ties to secure it, though. I did that on my S1, but then just took the fan off altogether to see how it does passively. Never gets above 52C at full load on my 8800GT, so the fan isn't going back on. :cool:

I believe the GTX puts out significantly more heat than the 8800 GT though.

I believe the GTX puts out significantly more heat than the 8800 GT though.

Yes, that's very evident in looking at BlueFalcon's results: full load is 52C with 2 120mm fans.

Regardless if it's one or two fans, even some direct airflow over the extremely efficient S1 will substantially help out vs. running passive with a 9800GTX.

Ramping up the RPM speeds on 2 80cm fans attached to that thing....wat temps would you get?? And big is that thing?

Pretty cool! Does anyone really use dialup anymore? Even so.. I think dial-up could handle those thumbnails ;)

Back