Eye candy: EVGA 9800GTX unboxing + Accelero S1 installation (Dialup = oh no!)

hrm, maybe ill order an accelero for mine...

think i'll reseat the stock shroud with ASC 1st.

also, thinking about it...my 9800GTX seems to be voltage limited more than temps. it's running 70 C under full load at 800/1125 and i havent pushed it to its limits yet. it's definitely not overheating. this RAM definitely doesnt like 1150. i think i could hit 825 core with some patience.

anyone know the max temps these generally run? cant be sure it's not temp-limited but i really suspect it's voltage/flat out limit in the chip and ram.

This is not a thread cap or a flame, but you seriously took step by step pics of taking a video card outta the box ???

lol...why ?

Nice post Blue.

I have a similar setup - antec designer (same as solo) and a 9800gtx arriving on Wednesday. Think I'm going to use tin snips to cut a notch for the card though, don't fancy taking the PC apart as I already did spend that 30 minutes on getting the cables hidden!

Good results with the Accelero S1 also, might have to invest in one of those. Let us know how the clocks go...

I'm getting mine as an evga step-up from an 8800gts 320mb so going to be a decent improvement (if people think that's a wierd step-up it's because evga Europe have been slacking with step-ups and it's taken me 6 months to step up so they let me change the step up card!)

Edit - I might wait for a review of this bad boy: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=161

wow that looks crazy. youve peeked my interest.

BTW reseated stock cooler with ASC and temps rose ~5 C =/ guess i need to reseat to make sure it was done properly. Ceramique needs to burn in but it should still be cooler right away than the 1lb of goop evga had caked on it.

This is not a thread cap or a flame, but you seriously took step by step pics of taking a video card outta the box ???

lol...why ?

Why is it that forum trolls who are about to take a giant shit on someone's thread always start with "This is not a thread crap or a flame..."?

Lots of us really like eye candy, be it photos of a brand new video card or screenshots / video of a 5 year old game. Just because it doesn't tickle your fancy doesn't give you the right to shit on my thread. If you don't see what's so interesting about the photos, then why did you bother to post instead of just moving on to another thread...... unless <GASP!> being a forum troll is something you're actually making an effort at... :eek:

Thanks so much for your comments anyway... Have a bitchin' day. :)

Nice post Blue.

I have a similar setup - antec designer (same as solo) and a 9800gtx arriving on Wednesday. Think I'm going to use tin snips to cut a notch for the card though, don't fancy taking the PC apart as I already did spend that 30 minutes on getting the cables hidden!

Good results with the Accelero S1 also, might have to invest in one of those. Let us know how the clocks go...

I'm getting mine as an evga step-up from an 8800gts 320mb so going to be a decent improvement (if people think that's a wierd step-up it's because evga Europe have been slacking with step-ups and it's taken me 6 months to step up so they let me change the step up card!)

Edit - I might wait for a review of this bad boy: http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=161

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on the 9800 Extreme cooler as well. A cautious eye though since I heard that there were some problems with the 8800 Extreme contacting all of the memory and mosfets properly on 8800GTX cards.

I actually bought an Antec Nine Hundred from Micro Center last week and moved everything into it. The 9800GTX fits without issue now but good god cable routing is pretty much impossible in this case. I may take it back this weekend and exchange it for an Antec Twelve Hundred instead. :p

Clocks have been pretty much standard fare for 9800GTX cards sofar; I've gotten 775 on the core and 2300 (DDR) on the memory. I think these 9800GTX boards are pretty well voltage limited as far as overclocking goes. Of course Nvidia has pushed the G92 about as far as they can methinks.

watching buffy the vampire slayer are we?

Keen eye!

Actually that was Angel, but yeah the past month or so I've been re-watching Buffy/Angel from start to finish. I was a huge BTVS fan back in the day and not ashamed to admit it, awesome show. :D

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on the 9800 Extreme cooler as well. A cautious eye though since I heard that there were some problems with the 8800 Extreme contacting all of the memory and mosfets properly on 8800GTX cards.

I actually bought an Antec Nine Hundred from Micro Center last week and moved everything into it. The 9800GTX fits without issue now but good god cable routing is pretty much impossible in this case. I may take it back this weekend and exchange it for an Antec Twelve Hundred instead. :p

Clocks have been pretty much standard fare for 9800GTX cards sofar; I've gotten 775 on the core and 2300 (DDR) on the memory. I think these 9800GTX boards are pretty well voltage limited as far as overclocking goes. Of course Nvidia has pushed the G92 about as far as they can methinks.

Where was I was being a troll ? I just asked "why", its not like I was bashing you or anything...Damn dude take a chill pill or something.

No reason to get all defensive over nothing :rolleyes:

i enjoyed the nekkid 9800 pics - those were the best

OP did a fantastic job of cleaning the card to put the new sinks on

i enjoyed the nekkid 9800 pics - those were the best

OP did a fantastic job of cleaning the card to put the new sinks on

Agreed. Twice in a row now he's done amazing work now. First with an 8800GT, now with this.

Blue Falcon wins the 2008 Official Make Love To A Video Card Award

:p

no more redneck engineering? what size fans did you use

Sorry I missed this question earlier, those are two generic 92mm fans I had laying around. If I remember correctly they came out of a Raidmax case someone threw my way. :)

First review (kind of) of the Accelero 9800gtx: http://www.techspot.com/review/99-inno3d-ichill-9800gtx/page9.html

Some nice pics and good cooling again. Will be interesting to see if the install issues are fixed like you mentioned Blue.

My 9800gtx arrived yesterday :D I'm running it at 800 core, 1900 shaders, 2400 memory. No artifacts in atitool and games have been completely stable. Fan is on auto but even at 100% I get artifacts on anything much higher.

Oh yeh, and tin snipping my Antec Solo was a bit fiddly but did the trick! I'll post some a pic thread when I change the cards cooling.

I actually bought an Antec Nine Hundred a couple weeks ago, but the lack of cable routing capabilities is making me want to go back to the Solo really bad. I've put the new Nine Hundred up for sale as a matter of fact. :p

I've got a set of the Iandh 9800GTX ramsink and mosfet sinks (along with a tube of MX-2) coming later this week from Petra's, I'll be sure and update this thread with install pics when they get here!

I actually bought an Antec Nine Hundred a couple weeks ago, but the lack of cable routing capabilities is making me want to go back to the Solo really bad. I've put the new Nine Hundred up for sale as a matter of fact. :p

I've got a set of the Iandh 9800GTX ramsink and mosfet sinks (along with a tube of MX-2) coming later this week from Petra's, I'll be sure and update this thread with install pics when they get here!

Only if I knew you wanted the ramsink, I have the petra's ramsink for the 8800 series card that are brand new never used I would of given you a better deal on ( I have two set of the ramsink also two brand new asserlo s1 too). Well if you havent ordered let me know, or if anyone else is interested in it. Otherwise great pictures.

The Iandh ramsinks for the 8800 and 9800 are different designs, I needed the ones for the 9800GTX. But thanks for thinking about me! :)

Blue, did you use the accelero spacers for your 9800gtx? I mean the 4 black spacers for the GPU plate screws.

I decided not to wait for the new accelero 9800gtx and get the cheaper (and quieter by the looks of it) S1 rev2. So just fitted it tonight. My idle has dropped 15c (45) but my load is only about 5 lower which doesnt sound quite right (60-65)!

I have the Accelero turbo module fitted also so should be cooler than this...

I fitted Zalmon GPU ram heatsinks to the vrm's also - pics to follow when I get my camera back!

Do you any of you know where I could get individual VRAM or MOSFET mini heatsinks? I really would like some but I haven't been able to find a place to get them...

Thanks

too bad the s1 isnt quite as sexy as the stock cooler although cools better

I love mine too, I use it passive on my 8800gt

im kind of pissed that my 9800GTX didn't come with that new, fancy looking EVGA sticker/badge

OK, success. Ignore my last post :D

I reseated the Accelero as I had lost one of the spacers and fashioned one myself. Anyway, I found the lost spacer under my desk at work (as you do), reseated the cooler nice and tight hey presto. 39 idle, 54 load (12 minutes on ati tool.)

So much better than my 60 idle, 72 load with the stock cooler.

I took a few pics, sorry for the rubbish quality - my wife is away with the decent camera!

I stuck a bunch of Zalman RAM sinks on the vreg's.

This is the tin snipping my antec designer (aka solo) required to fit the GTX! Not a very neat job but it meant I didn't have to strip the PC.

OK, success. Ignore my last post :D

I reseated the Accelero as I had lost one of the spacers and fashioned one myself. Anyway, I found the lost spacer under my desk at work (as you do), reseated the cooler nice and tight hey presto. 39 idle, 54 load (12 minutes on ati tool.)

Sorry I didn't respond to your first question about the spacers, but I'm actually wondering what spacers you are talking about? My Accelero S1 didn't come with any spacers, but then again it's not the Rev 2, it's the original version. Unless you mean the little washers it came with....

Anyway, an update on things. Last week I got in my Iandh ramsink / mosfet sink kit and removed the Accelero S1 to put the kit on. When I put the completed card back in my machine I was greeted by artifacts and the inability to boot to the Vista desktop. :( I think the Iandh ramsinks killed the card since they really seemed to bend the card quite a bit even when they were just barely hand tightened.

I just got a new 9800GTX (literally a few minutes ago) to replace the old one - I haven't decided yet wether to go through the trouble of installing the Accelero S1 yet AGAIN....

Thanks alot man....the one who gave me the link to the Petras Tech Shop! Big thanks again! But is their other sites....becoz I am in Australia and theirs heaps of comp stores that I have been too...but they can't get any!

@rus7y: Does that card now weigh alot? I bet it does....and also...shouldn't their be some kind of reinforcement that you should put on that card...as it weighs down the card on one side?

@rus7y: Does that card now weigh alot? I bet it does....and also...shouldn't their be some kind of reinforcement that you should put on that card...as it weighs down the card on one side?

The Accelero S1 is pretty lightweight, in fact I'd bet it weighs less than the stock 9800GTX cooler does...

LOLRusty, your hackjob on the Solo looks exactly like mine! Now I don't feel so bad for taking a recip saw to it! :D

Mathew, I think Blue Falcon is right - the S1 probably weighs less than the GTX cooler. This is because the GTX cooler has a solid metal heat sink across the the entire cooler where as the S1 has very thin fins. Besides, you put 2 faceplate screws to hold the GTX in place so it's not going anywhere!

Lol Blue :D Hack jobs ftw! I think it's a nice feeling knowing what is concealed within a seemingly small case :)

lols....I can''t delete this post..lols....can somebody please tell me how? lols...sorry:D!

Mathew, I think Blue Falcon is right - the S1 probably weighs less than the GTX cooler. This is because the GTX cooler has a solid metal heat sink across the the entire cooler where as the S1 has very thin fins. Besides, you put 2 faceplate screws to hold the GTX in place so it's not going anywhere!

Ok.....I never knew as I have never owned a 8800 series gfx card....so I wouldn't know!
Would one of those fit on a 9600GT?

If so...I'm planning to get one then!

Ok.....I never knew as I have never owned a 8800 series gfx card....so I wouldn't know!
Would one of those fit on a 9600GT?

If so...I'm planning to get one then!

Yup, the S1 Revision 2 should fit the 9600GT perfectly.

In fact I believe ECS sells a 9600GT with the Accelero installed....

cool....wat other extreme 3rd party cooling can I get for my 9600GT that is like the S1?

Back