Steve Ballmer Uses A Mac&#63

HardOCP News

[H] News
Steve Ballmer uses a Mac? Well, according to this photo he does. While the picture is sure to get a few laughs, the Mac is no doubt running Windows, so who gets the laugh now? Thanks to Pib for the pic.

I've always liked what innovation Apple has brought to the table.

Their OS on the other hand, I can never get excited about.

Funny surprise though...irony, gotta love it.

I kind of assume it's one of those Core 2 MacBooks running Windows using BootCamp (or whatever it's called). MS isn't really in the laptop business.

Ok, slightly off topic, but are there any "normal" pictures of Balmer? It must be some kind of Internet meme for tech journalists to use pictures of Balmer making bizarre or maniacal faces...

Strange that he would even bring a Mac to an event like that as it is sure to get spotted.
Perhaps they had a fire and the water system hosed all the other laptops so he had no choice :)
Perhaps.

While it's great for a laugh - one often doesn't get to choose the laptop when you participate in these types of presentations. That said, even if it were his personal laptop (which I doubt it was), it would make perfect sense as part of the big picture since MS does make office products for Apple. After all, what better test of a product that to use it to present a large conference? :) But hey, if they weren't using Office for Mac, it could very well have been dual-booting XP/Vista.

Who is to say it isn't just someone elses computer up there to set something up?

It is very possible that the laptop is supplied by the event staff.
Possibly not even Ballmer's fault.
Terribly funny though.

G5 mac cases are very nice ~ but if I had one it would be gutted.

~ Xeensd

Funny surprise though...irony, gotta love it.

That's funny, because the OS rocks, but their "innovation" usually consists of taking an old idea and slapping a pretty GUI on it and selling it as their own.

haHaHahaHahhAhhAHhaaAhahhahahahahAAhahahahaahahahahaahaAHahAHahHaHaHAhaahaahahahahahaahhAAHaHAHaHAAHaHaHahahaaa!!!!!!!!:eek:

While I doubt it is his piece of hardware... even if it is, there's nothing unreasonable.

If it's his, it's probably a mac built piece of hardware using intel chips (possibly more from Nvidia or AMD/ATI) running the Microsoft OS... Sounds perfectly reasonable for a Microsoft executive to use that described piece of hardware.

Aside from operating system and mp3 player/service, where to Microsoft and Macintosh compete? Hell, he may be setting an example. MSoft would do great if they were to convince everyone to buy G5 laptops loaded with windows... (MSoft doesn't make 'PC' hardware, many people buy Mac PC hardware... MSoft has a market share to gain if they can convince mac owners to use Windows)

Now, if he were running a Mac OS while using itunes to load his ipod... well... that might be news.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Would you rather he make unfounded and inexperienced claims against Apple like Job does with the PC? Balmer would at least have hands on experience with Macs.

And besides, there are quite a few Microsoft software made for Macs and I'm sure he would want to experience that too so he'll be able to tell his programmers what to fix, change, or improve on.

Doesn't that Apple logo on the back look a little dark for the computer to be turned on? I'm just wondering aloud here.

At least an MS exec has the balls to use a compeditors product... lets see Steve Jobs do that.

Seems normal to me. Microsoft does make software for the Macs so it would be quite reasonable to have apple hardware to test their software on it.

At least Balmer wasn't skipping around the table with the Mac on it singing "Developers! Developers! Developers!" :p

Is it just me, or is the bigger chuckle the typo on screen? Pretty sure it should read "... for Future Graduates."

While Microsoft may make Mac compatible software, it would be awfully strange for them to support the parent company of their main competition software (OSX) by using their hardware.

Kind of like the CEO of toyota putting a LS3 in his camry.

That's weird. Their hardware is nice but IMO the absolute best thing Apple did in the last ten years was buying NEXTSTEP and turning it into OS X. You have a rock solid UNIX operating system made user friendly with the best GUI and included features out there, on top of wide application support. What's not to like?

The iPod might have made Apple relevant to the mass consumer again, but even if it hadn't existed OS X still would have made Macs a solid choice for the professional market.

While Microsoft may make Mac compatible software, it would be awfully strange for them to support the parent company of their main competition software (OSX) by using their hardware.

Not nearly as bizarre as if he made the presentation running Ubuntu. THAT would be strange.

LOL, the zealots are loving this one. Unfortunately if they put down the koolaid for a moment they might realize how idiotic they're being. Of course, they DID buy Macs, so they're obviously not too good at this whole thinking-things-through concept.

1) Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company. Remember the whole thing about Apple getting raped so hard they they were forced to ditch their hardware and move to Windows-compatible hardware? Guess what, Apple laptops can now run useful software.

2) People like Ballmer don't do the setup at these presentations, their time is far to valuable. They send the files to the person in charge of the event, and THAT person is the one that does the setup. That's not Ballmer's laptop, it belongs the the event host.

3) Even IF it were Ballmer's laptop, AND it was running in useless mode, Microsoft STILL makes Office for Apple in order to keep Apple's OS in existence and there-by reduce the monopolistic nature of it's business.

Mac , PC .... blah blah blah who gives a shit as long as you get the job done or the game played.

Back