Anandtech Radeon HD4870 Review!!!

no, not really but from people talking about the reviews, one would have thought that it was slower.........

Not bad, now I am waiting to see how much of an improvement the 1GB version will give over the 512MB version. Now we just have to wait for the 4870X2 reviews/previews to start popping up....another month or so.

the 4870x2 will be more effcient that twin 4870's in x-fire.... so it looks like AMD will have the performance crown shortly

You know, I really love reading Anand's reviews. The first ten pages of this review were extremely interesting to read, and underscores how GPUs have become massively parallel CPUs with a few optimizations for graphics. It explains well why a 1.2 TFLOP card can be beaten by a card that barely breaks 900 GFLOPs. Whoever wrote those first ten pages seemed to really know what they're talking about.

The rest was really depressing - just pages and pages of graphs with no context whatsoever besides screen resolution and level of AA. Anand, or someone who works with him, REALLY seems to understand Computer Engineering, but fails at actually conveying the benchmarks.

this review doesnt make sense, 8800 GT sli is better than an GTX 280? what!?

and a 9800 GX2 apparently gets FIVE more fps than the GTX280? give me a break...

This was in their GT200 review as well.

I'm not going to go so far as to say they made numbers up, or the reviewers were dishonest in some way, but without knowing what settings they used in-game, there's *no way* to independently verify those results.

and a 9800 GX2 apparently gets FIVE more fps than the GTX280? give me a break...

Where have you been? Why do you think so many people think the GTX280 isn't worth $650? Becuase it can be beat by existing cards (or 2) for less! Go do some research before calling BS. The 9800GX2 for example beats the 280 more often than not, for $200 less.

It could be worse I suppose. Imagine trying to verify their findings if they just chose settings arbitrarily and played through the game! Oh wait...

Where have you been? Why do you think so many people think the GTX280 isn't worth $650? Becuase it can be beat by existing cards (or 2) for less! Go do some research before calling BS. The 9800GX2 for example beats the 280 more often than now, for $200 less.

yeah the GTX280 is a waste of money, i agree

but with 8800GTs going for so cheap now, why the fuck would anyone buy anything else?

dude.... give me a break... do you understand video cards... or are u one of those guys that thinks " if its new then its gotta be faster"

the 9800x2 is faster than the gtx280 in alot of things

R E A D!!!!

yeah the GTX280 is a waste of money, i agree

but with 8800GTs going for so cheap now, why the fuck would anyone buy anything else?

Well SLI isn't for everyone. For example, getting an nVidia chipset for me is not an option, so neither is SLI.

You know, I really love reading Anand's reviews. The first ten pages of this review were extremely interesting to read, and underscores how GPUs have become massively parallel CPUs with a few optimizations for graphics. It explains well why a 1.2 TFLOP card can be beaten by a card that barely breaks 900 GFLOPs. Whoever wrote those first ten pages seemed to really know what they're talking about.

The rest was really depressing - just pages and pages of graphs with no context whatsoever besides screen resolution and level of AA. Anand, or someone who works with him, REALLY seems to understand Computer Engineering, but fails at actually conveying the benchmarks.

QFT!

dude.... give me a break... do you understand video cards... or are u one of those guys that thinks " if its new then its gotta be faster"

the 9800x2 is faster than the gtx280 in alot of things

R E A D!!!!

i just admitted that above, how ironic the guy shouting for others to read does not do it himself.

Oh, and I just love this picture :D

rv770vsgtxvspenryn.png

why? i dont know the limitations of nvidia chipsets or the pros of others

Generally they are not as stable or reliable as their Intel counterparts. They consume more power and usually run a lot hotter. They also have a bad habit of frying memory sticks from time to time.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQ3NSwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

i guess this confirms it, the 8800 GT SLI is the same as a 9800 GX2, and a 9800 GX2 is better than a gtx 280, so why the fuck do most people care about ANYTHING besides 8800gt SLI?

(besides the people who cant use nvidia chipsets)

Most people dont use Nvidia chipsets?

And a lot of people much prefer a single card to SLI / Crossfire simply due to issues that often arise with multi gpu.

The 9800GX2 is not better than the Geforce GTX 280. Anyone who has used both will tell you this.

The 9800GX2 has frame rates all over the place. It often dips lower than the Geforce GTX 280 and often averages lower frame rates as well. It does spike higher in many situations but trust me, game play on the Geforce GTX 280 is vastly superior to that of the Geforce 9800GX2. I've got two 9800GX2's and two Geforce GTX 280 cards and I've run them both in SLI and alone.

The Geforce GTX 280 is the better card. (Not always faster, but certainly better.) Is it worth $200 more than a 9800GX2? Well probably not. Am I sorry or remorseful that I bought these cards even after seeing the 4870 in action on Anandtech? No, not really. I'm taking those scores with a grain of salt. I'll wait and see what the [H] review looks like first.

I will say this though, the HD 4870X2 will very likely beat the Geforce GTX 280 if the scaling is halfway decent. Though I hope that ATI can avoid some of the pitfalls of multi-GPU solutions with it.

if you want to get max performance for minimal cash, 4850 is the way to go with the 4870 running a close second....

Generally they are not as stable or reliable as their Intel counterparts. They consume more power and usually run a lot hotter. They also have a bad habit of frying memory sticks from time to time.

i have a evga 680lt SLI and it works fine for me, ive had it for about a year now... i guess thats anecdotal but whatever.

So lets say 8800GT is out of the question, then why isnt everyone buying 9800 GX2s?

Though I hope that ATI can avoid some of the pitfalls of multi-GPU solutions with it.
This might interest you. Looks like some of the rumors were true :D

The Anandtech Review said:
The CrossFire Sideport

Although AMD isn't talking about it now, the CrossFire Sideport is a new feature of the RV770 architecture that isn't in use on the RV770 at all. In future, single-card, multi-GPU solutions (*cough* R700) this interface will be used to communicate between adjacent GPUs - in theory allowing for better scaling with CrossFire. We'll be able to test this shortly as AMD is quickly readying its dual-GPU RV770 card under the R700 codename.

Well it's an overclocked edition of the GTX 280... Slightly biased perspective maybe?
I don't know. Hell, even the GTX 260 beats the 9800GX2 on that page.
:(

I wouldn't say that either card "owns" the other. The conflicting data from the reviews on the web say to me that these cards are very close to each other in performance.

Well, for everyone saying the 9800 GX2 owns the GTX 280, this hard ocp review says directly to the contrary:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUxOCw0LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

so whats up with that?

Again, read my post above. No matter what anyone tells me the 9800GX2 is the inferior card when compared to the Geforce GTX 280. The frame rates of the 9800GX2 may look good on paper but in reality they are horribly inconsistent. The gameplay is no where near as smooth as it is on the Geforce GTX 280. The difference is huge. Time demos and benchmarks won't show that difference between the two but try actually playing games on them and the difference will be readily apparent. Another problem with the Geforce 9800GX2 is that its' AA performance is not the best. They also take a bit of a hit at 2560x1600. They just don't have the memory bandwidth nor the amount of memory you really need to get the job done. The 9800GX2 was in some ways a step back from the previous 8800GTX/Ultra cards as a result. I got far better results in CoD4 with AA and AF enabled at 2560x1600 on my dual 8800GTX SLI setup than I got on my 9800GX2 Quad-SLI setup. 256bit memory interface and only 512MB of RAM per GPU just didn't get the job done. Had NVIDIA created the 9800GX2 as a 768MB per GPU part and if they had given it a 384bit bus like the 8800GTX had it would have been a monster.

Come on guys and crank that review out! I don't want to see just max FPS, but whats the average is for each game played. As Dan pointed out, the graphs make it look as if the GX2 is a better gaming experience than the GTX 280 based the graphs presented.

Plus, no MMO's were used at Anandtech? No WoW, LotRO, AoC? I've been spoiled by the Enthusiast's reviews here. Bring on the review.

It could be worse I suppose. Imagine trying to verify their findings if they just chose settings arbitrarily and played through the game! Oh wait...

:p

Thanks, best laugh I've had all day, with more than a grain of truth.

Come on guys and crank that review out! I don't want to see just max FPS, but whats the average is for each game played. As Dan pointed out, the graphs make it look as if the GX2 is a better gaming experience than the GTX 280 based the graphs presented.

Plus, no MMO's were used at Anandtech? No WoW, LotRO, AoC? I've been spoiled by the Enthusiast's reviews here. Bring on the review.

The Geforce 9800GX2 is not better than the Geforce GTX 280. If it were I'd slap the Geforce 9800GX2's back in my system and I'd return my Geforce GTX 280's to Fry's.

Again, read my post above. No matter what anyone tells me the 9800GX2 is the inferior card when compared to the Geforce GTX 280. The frame rates of the 9800GX2 may look good on paper but in reality they are horribly inconsistent. The gameplay is no where near as smooth as it is on the Geforce GTX 280. The difference is huge. Time demos and benchmarks won't show that difference between the two but try actually playing games on them and the difference will be readily apparent. Another problem with the Geforce 9800GX2 is that its' AA performance is not the best. They also take a bit of a hit at 2560x1600. They just don't have the memory bandwidth nor the amount of memory you really need to get the job done. The 9800GX2 was in some ways a step back from the previous 8800GTX/Ultra cards as a result. I got far better results in CoD4 with AA and AF enabled at 2560x1600 on my dual 8800GTX SLI setup than I got on my 9800GX2 Quad-SLI setup. 256bit memory interface and only 512MB of RAM per GPU just didn't get the job done. Had NVIDIA created the 9800GX2 as a 768MB per GPU part and if they had given it a 384bit bus like the 8800GTX had it would have been a monster.

Then what about this

Don't know why you guys didn't graph 280 vs 9800gtx sli vs 9800gx2 in crysis test. Just looking at the graph of the 280 vs 9800 sli seems like they follow the same pattern and have fps drops at the same time, except on average 9800gtx sli has higher fps.

Back