My 4870 has arrived: Picture, overclocking/benching soon!

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
It has arrived... :D :D :D!

EDIT 7:30pm Eastern: I have posted World In Conflict results below as well as initial overclocking, working on Crysis (driver issue) and others shortly, most won't be tested for a few hours though (I'm aiming for a lot of results by midnight eastern).

golden4870tg6.jpg

EDIT2 9:06pm Eastern: Here's the highest overclock I can get, not because of instability/artifacting, but because the CCC Overdrive won't go any further and no other tools are around yet to go higher: Note that the memory speed is actually 4400mhz, 1100x2 DDR, and then doubled again by GDDR5, for an actual effective 4400mhz. The bandwidth shown is *half* the actual bandwidth due to GPU-Z not making this calculation properly. The stock GPU is 750mhz, and the stock RAM is 3600mhz. The effective bandwidth in this GPU-Z shot is actually 140.8GB/s.

4870ocgoldentigerlw2.png

Idle temps are around 55c with the BIOS flashed to 31% at 40c and above, 42% at 65c and above... once it gets under load at these speeds, it is hitting around 65-67c and staying there after 10 minutes of 3d use. The default fan profile in the BIOS were around 10-15% at all times, resulting in temps of 77-79c idle and 85c-ish load. HUGE difference by changing the fan speeds.

ooh yea she looks sexy. more pics please and benchies!!
I'm waiting for non-reference designs and the 1GB version to drop first b4 I bite.
Enjoy!

Everything on the overdrive tab is greyed out using 8.6 hotfix drivers... is there something I'm missing :(? Benches and such soon, of course :).

EDIT: Initial overclocking looks good... the max. CCC lets me set is 790 core, so I tried that with 1000 RAM (4000 DDR5, stock is 3600) and it's running rock-solid stable with Crysis timedemos looped many times. I'm still benching and fiddling... more overclocking, and benches from Crysis and other games will come late tonight once I'm done :).

Pic:

grayed4870yn6.png

I also just got my Sapphire 4870, can't wait to test this sucker out on Conan and Crysis.

It's a shame you have to tuck away that beauty in order to use it. Definitely an aesthetically pleasing unit. Superior in every way: form, function, and price!

Initial overclocking looks good... the max. CCC lets me set is 790 core, so I tried that with 1000 RAM (4000 DDR5, stock is 3600) and it's running rock-solid stable with Crysis timedemos looped many times. I'm still benching and fiddling... more overclocking, and benches from Crysis and other games will come late tonight once I'm done :).

I'm thinking of removing the stock HSF and re-applying the thermal paste, but temps are pretty good so far (80-85 load with this overclock).

I got it from a Hong Kong seller on the 'Bay, $300 USD overnighted to me :).

Thanks for the pointer on the OverDrive thing guys.

Yeah, it is a beauty, it's a shame to have it tucked away where I can't see it... the plastic is like a ruby color (pun intended) :).

ooh yea she looks sexy. more pics please and benchies!!
I'm waiting for non-reference designs and the 1GB version to drop first b4 I bite.
Enjoy!

+1, that's what I'm going to do too, or wait for the X2 version (I do want to replace my 2900xt pretty soon). It's going to be nice, since I remember hearing there will be factory overclocked versions of the 4870.

I'm getting... odd... Crysis results here. Other games are running fine, but Crysis seems WAY below the pack of games vs. the 280, whereas the 4870 is very competitive if not equal to it with 8x AA and 16x AF in the games I'm testing. Crysis seems to be having some major issues with tons of loading and complete stuttering at parts of the timedemo, while FPS stays the same whether I have no AA, or all the way up to 8x AA, the framerate stays exactly the same (the AA is changing looking by eye during the demo, just not the framerates). Any ideas? This card looks to be a beast, but I'm thinking there's a driver issue with Crysis at the moment. Other games are giving VERY good results though. Also, GPU-Z is showing the non-DDR5 bandwidth (i.e. bandwidth as though it was running at the RAM speed it actually is, rather than 4x bandwidth which = DDR5 bandwidth). Hopefully the next few days will see a new driver release and some bugfixes.

I have the 4850 and the hotfix drivers and when I run the timedemo, it has to loop at least twice. For about 25% of the first run, it seems very slow for some reason.

I don't see this when I actually play so it's just weird.

Up to 4200 (stock 3600) on the memory rock-solid :eek:... really wish there was a way to pump the core further, I'm sure it could take it. Come on, developers, faster, make those tools faster! :p Still 790 on the core of course (stock 750)

Well the RBE bios editor by w1z is due out soon supposedly so we can see some BIOS editing very soon for some nice voltage + core clocks, especially with an aftermarket cooler on there. Nice mem clocks too, I can't even imagine when 5GHz+ GDDR5 comes out...

Also, I dig the carbon-fiber look around the Radeon text. Nice little touch...

Yeah, I'm debating if I should spend the cash for an aftermarket... would come to around $50 with a fan for an Accelero S1 Rev. 2, or an HR-03 GT for around $61 with a fan. Not sure it's worth it when the card's only $300 and the overclock won't neccessarily be that different performance-wise with the aftermarket ones. I'm going to pop the cooler off later and see if re-applying Arctic Ceramique helps the temps out, though the fan never spins up right now which is part of why it's running hot. I'm not so keen on overclocking the core via BIOS without knowing it's stable first, because I don't have a PCI video card as a backup should something not work properly... and I'm not keen on trying to blindflash, either :p.

I'm getting... odd... Crysis results here. Other games are running fine, but Crysis seems WAY below the pack of games vs. the 280, whereas the 4870 is very competitive if not equal to it with 8x AA and 16x AF in the games I'm testing. Crysis seems to be having some major issues with tons of loading and complete stuttering at parts of the timedemo, while FPS stays the same whether I have no AA, or all the way up to 8x AA, the framerate stays exactly the same (the AA is changing looking by eye during the demo, just not the framerates). Any ideas? This card looks to be a beast, but I'm thinking there's a driver issue with Crysis at the moment. Other games are giving VERY good results though. Also, GPU-Z is showing the non-DDR5 bandwidth (i.e. bandwidth as though it was running at the RAM speed it actually is, rather than 4x bandwidth which = DDR5 bandwidth). Hopefully the next few days will see a new driver release and some bugfixes.

What happens if you run through with Fraps on?

Mine will be here tomorrow. I want to h20 cool it but for now I have a NIB TT Dualorb GPU cooler to hang off it if need be.

Yeah, I'm debating if I should spend the cash for an aftermarket... would come to around $50 with a fan for an Accelero S1 Rev. 2, or an HR-03 GT for around $61 with a fan. Not sure it's worth it when the card's only $300 and the overclock won't neccessarily be that different performance-wise with the aftermarket ones. I'm going to pop the cooler off later and see if re-applying Arctic Ceramique helps the temps out, though the fan never spins up right now which is part of why it's running hot. I'm not so keen on overclocking the core via BIOS without knowing it's stable first, because I don't have a PCI video card as a backup should something not work properly... and I'm not keen on trying to blindflash, either :p.

Looks like the same heatsink as the HD3870x2's that I have. I'd just wait until a utility is able to change the fan speed. I run my cards at 40% fan constant, temps never go over 80 during heavy gaming, and they idle around 45. Those heatsinks can move A LOT of air, it's just that the default fan profile is VERY conservative and it barely kicks in.

World In Conflict DX10 *MAXIMUM* settings for everything, plus 16x AF and 4x AA *with* transparency AA, average of several runs:

Resolution: 1680*1050
Detail Level: Very High
Average fps: 29
Min fps: 17
Max fps: 45

System specs:
Q6600 @ 3.15ghz
4GB RAM @ 5-5-5 1T
eVGA 680i motherboard (NF68-A1)
HIS Radeon 4870 512MB GDDR5 @ 790core/4200ram

EDIT:

World In Conflict DX10 *MAXIMUM* settings for everything, plus 16x AF with *no* AA, average of several runs:

Resolution: 1680*1050
Detail Level: Very High
Average fps: 35
Min fps: 20
Max fps: 56

Very nice so far, 4x AA doesn't cause much of a hit at all :D !

Looks like the same heatsink as the HD3870x2's that I have. I'd just wait until a utility is able to change the fan speed. I run my cards at 40% fan constant, temps never go over 80 during heavy gaming, and they idle around 45. Those heatsinks can move A LOT of air, it's just that the default fan profile is VERY conservative and it barely kicks in.

Yeah, it seems to not do much spinning up at all, I can't wait for RivaTuner or whatnot to be updated with fan control and overclocking capability for these... I have a feeling they'll scale VERY well. 790core/4200ram so far, max. I can go to with CCC is 4400 which I'm going to inch up to shortly.

Buying and building a new computer tomorrow:
e8400 /w noctua nh-u12p
4gb 1000mhz ram
gigabyte p35 motherboard
radeon 4870 /w accelero s1rev2

:)

change crysis.exe to 1234.exe see what happens

Buying and building a new computer tomorrow:
e8400 /w noctua nh-u12p
4gb 1000mhz ram
gigabyte p35 motherboard
radeon 4870 /w accelero s1rev2

:)

A little suggestion if I may: P35's are notoriously bad for crossfire. If you want that option open, pick an X38 or X48 board (or at least a P45 board).

Everything on the overdrive tab is greyed out using 8.6 hotfix drivers... is there something I'm missing :(? Benches and such soon, of course :).

EDIT: Initial overclocking looks good... the max. CCC lets me set is 790 core, so I tried that with 1000 RAM (4000 DDR5, stock is 3600) and it's running rock-solid stable with Crysis timedemos looped many times. I'm still benching and fiddling... more overclocking, and benches from Crysis and other games will come late tonight once I'm done :).

Damn! That's one fatass OC on the memory! :eek:

W00t! :D

Damn! That's one fatass OC on the memory! :eek:

W00t! :D

It gets better...

Been fiddling with 4400 memory, going to grab a bite to eat and let it loop timedemos for awhile, but 10 minutes playing in-game worked 100% perfectly. The CCC Overdrive won't go any further, so I'm waiting on a utility if this works to push the core/mem higher. These puppies seem to be amazing OC'ers :D!

Golden Tiger, have you tried actually playing crysis with the Devmode Display on?

The Devmode display will show the FPS counter..

Edit:NVM guess u have tried to play it.

It has arrived... :D :D :D!

EDIT 7:30pm Eastern: I have posted World In Conflict results below as well as initial overclocking, working on Crysis (driver issue) and others shortly, most won't be tested for a few hours though (I'm aiming for a lot of results by midnight eastern).

golden4870tg6.jpg

looks pretty good to me.overclock it to the max :p

Grats man! Waiting on tigerdirect to ship mine. Whats your initial impression on this vs. the GTX280 it replaced? IQ and real life gaming, same?

Golden Tiger, have you tried actually playing crysis with the Devmode Display on?

The Devmode display will show the FPS counter..

Edit:NVM guess u have tried to play it.

In-game play works fine with the devmode FPS counter, it just wouldn't run when I renamed the .exe to try to disable any optimizations causing weirdness. With how Crysis is running in the timedemo I am pretty sure something's up with the drivers. The timedemo is not running as well as the in-game gameplay is, which sends up a red flag right away that something's funky.

What are your temps like?

85-87c or so load so far.

Grats man! Waiting on tigerdirect to ship mine. Whats your initial impression on this vs. the GTX280 it replaced? IQ and real life gaming, same?

I played some TF2 on Dustbowl and Goldrush for awhile earlier and honestly, while the max FPS didn't seem to reach as high levels, the minimum framerate was a bit higher seemingly than with the GTX 280 (never dipped below 60 with FRAPS running, max was somewhat lower, whereas the GTX 280 had dips to 50, of course due to the dynamic nature of the gameplay it will vary, but overall it seemed just as good if not better).

As far as IQ goes, you'd be hard-pressed to find a difference in the AF, but the AA seems a bit better on this card (8x MSAA on the 4870 vs. 8x CSAA of the 280), less screendoor effect from shimmering edges/etc. and the transparency AA is just as good. I am noticing less of a performance hit with AA than the GTX 280 was taking (note it was overclocked to 687core/1444shader/2400ish RAM).

I'm finding my results in actual gameplay with FRAPS running to be nearly identical, honestly. I am amazed with the quality of this card, not to mention its overclockability which I have a feeling is going to be insane once proper tools come out.

My newest stable overclock is as high as I can go so far: 25 loops of the flyby Crysis bench with me watching most of the time, reading a magazine the rest while snacking, at 4400RAM (1100x4 DDR5, stock is 900x4=3600) and 790 core. 100% artifact free. The CCC overdrive will not go any further :eek:, but this card is barely heating up more with the overclock than it was at stock so it should go much higher :D.

cccoverdrive4870sr6.jpg

Back