My 4870 has arrived: Picture, overclocking/benching soon!

Anyone know if BB is stocking them in store yet? I'll pick one up over the weekend and just refuse this package monday. Fedex and ZZF can suck on it.

Nope, they fucked me. :mad: Called Fedex and said there was a freeway closed 2 days ago and the package is now rescheduled for monday. Funny, the package went out yesterday so wtf does that have to do with a closed freeway 2 days ago??? I reamed the idiot on the phone out. Of course he's some fucking shithead sitting in a call center in india so what the fuck does he care....

I have written an email to ZZF requesting being reimbursed for the $27 for overnight shipping. Fedex and ZZF will never be delivering items for me again. Newegg / UPS only from now on.

Sorry card is running behind. But why get on ZZF's ass? ZZF has to pay FedEx and it was FedEx's mistake. And its not like they don't move a zillion packages a day. Not to mention how all the shippers are getting reamed by fuel costs.

We've all had shipping mistakes occur but at the same time if we think about how often they happen, its pretty rare overall.

Sorry card is running behind. But why get on ZZF's ass? ZZF has to pay FedEx and it was FedEx's mistake. And its not like they don't move a zillion packages a day. Not to mention how all the shippers are getting reamed by fuel costs.

We've all had shipping mistakes occur but at the same time if we think about how often they happen, its pretty rare overall.

Cause it was ordered weds. Newegg would have shipped it weds - but ZZF being lazy sat on it another day. Im pissed at ZZF cause they should've shipped it the same day. The order was in early.

Failure on both parts. I should've ordered from Newegg I would have had it yesterday.

We'll see overclocks on the 4870 soon since Unwinder is getting a 4800 sample from Guru3d soon:

lmimmfn - Yes of course. I've dispatched a 4800 card to Unwinder so he can start working on the RT compatibility, after which we'll max out the OC and likely update the reference article. The overclocking guide might be a good idea, in fact even to include in all reviews.

Source

BIOS editing is always risky, especially when voltages are used but RivaTuner should alleviate that.

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Hopefully ZZF will take care of the shipping costs.

I had a similar situation happen with UPS. On my tracking information it said my shipment was delayed due to train derailment. It actually happened a few months ago and was in the news any everything, I guess I should feel honored that my package was one of the affected. :rolleyes:

Cause it was ordered weds. Newegg would have shipped it weds - but ZZF being lazy sat on it another day. Im pissed at ZZF cause they should've shipped it the same day. The order was in early.

Failure on both parts.

I ordered my third GTX 280 from NewEgg last Friday, before noon PST with all the verification done before noon PST and even paid $3 for rush processing and NewEgg didn't ship the card till Monday. I've order tons from both ZZF and NewEgg overnight and from time to time it doesn't ship till next day. Most of the time but not always. Neither one guarantees same day shipping.

I think my wife would have to disagree with you.:p She has witnessed every issue i have with either UPS, DHL,and Fedex and can truthfully say that my packages are delayed for one reason or another more than 50% of the time. I have the direct number to both my UPS and Fedex local facilities and am on first name basis with the UPS supervisor. I'm not rude, but its almost comical how often i end up having to call them up. I don't even bother calling the 800 number anymore because all they do is put in a ticket to have the local facility call you, no point since I can call them. :D I'm thankful that none of my shipments have been lost, just delayed and usually its simple human error.

Well... my 2x4870's, CPU, mobo, ram, heatsink, vista dvd, artic silver 5 tube, usb extension cable, and plastic zipties came in record time and they are now sitting on my desk.

Unfortunately my new computer case and power supply were in a second package.

A second package that no one was at the front desk to accept delivery for when UPS came by.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!??!?!? :(

I ordered my third GTX 280 from NewEgg last Friday, before noon PST with all the verification done before noon PST and even paid $3 for rush processing and NewEgg didn't ship the card till Monday. I've order tons from both ZZF and NewEgg overnight and from time to time it doesn't ship till next day. Most of the time but not always. Neither one guarantees same day shipping.

ZZF used to be really really good a couple years ago. Not only were almost all of their items free shipping, but they were about as consistent as Newegg. I have noticed with my last few orders with them that when they say 1-2 business days processing time, they aren't kidding. Newegg, atleast for me, usually has the item out the door the same day.

Depends on when you place your orders too. Too late in the day and itll likely slide to the next day

I have the benefit that Neweggs CA warehouse is a 2 minute drive from my house so UPS ground is usually UPS Next Day. The fact i have to pay for shipping and can't pick it up though is ridiculous :(

Depends on when you place your orders too. Too late in the day and itll likely slide to the next day

I have the benefit that Neweggs CA warehouse is a 2 minute drive from my house so UPS ground is usually UPS Next Day. The fact i have to pay for shipping and can't pick it up though is ridiculous :(
Yup, same here. I ordered at ~1pm yesterday with UPS ground and it was in my hands at 10:00am today! Sucks when they randomly decide not to ship your order from CA though... :p

Normally that is the case, but i would assume the 4870's popularity might have something to do with it as well. I ordered 2 4870s from Newegg with their standard ground shipping (3 days) and at about the same time (12PM CT) ordered my mobo from ZZF with 2day shipping and they didn't ship it till the next day and both shipments are scheduled to be here monday. No biggie for me since i work all weekend and won't have a chance to start my build until Monday evening.

Yup, same here. I ordered at ~1pm yesterday with UPS ground and it was in my hands at 10:00am today! Sucks when they randomly decide not to ship your order from CA though... :p

Yeah they catch me off guard every once in a while with shipments from NJ and stuff haha. I guess that's what we get for having tax though.

I think my wife would have to disagree with you.:p She has witnessed every issue i have with either UPS, DHL,and Fedex and can truthfully say that my packages are delayed for one reason or another more than 50% of the time. I have the direct number to both my UPS and Fedex local facilities and am on first name basis with the UPS supervisor. I'm not rude, but its almost comical how often i end up having to call them up. I don't even bother calling the 800 number anymore because all they do is put in a ticket to have the local facility call you, no point since I can call them. :D I'm thankful that none of my shipments have been lost, just delayed and usually its simple human error.

50% of the time? Do you live near a sigularity!:D Seriously, there's no way these companies could stay in business if that was their average performance.

ZZF used to be really really good a couple years ago. Not only were almost all of their items free shipping, but they were about as consistent as Newegg. I have noticed with my last few orders with them that when they say 1-2 business days processing time, they aren't kidding. Newegg, atleast for me, usually has the item out the door the same day.

Yeah, the disappearance of free shipping was out of their hands. Fuel costs are really hurting shippers these days.

50% of the time? Do you live near a sigularity!:D Seriously, there's no way these companies could stay in business if that was their average performance.

I'm sure its not 50% for most people or even business. I really think I just have bad luck, its almost an omen telling me not to order online or atleast that's what my wife would prefer. :p

Doh! Newegg is now giving away World in Conflict free with the CPU I just bought yesterday! I wonder if they'll be cool if I give them a call... :-(

Give it a shot, they're usually pretty good about this stuff or you could always send it back and re-order it with WiC

Ya, I'll give it a try... their customer service dept is closed till monday morning though.

Hope the deal will be alive for that long.

We'll see overclocks on the 4870 soon since Unwinder is getting a 4800 sample from Guru3d soon:

Source

BIOS editing is always risky, especially when voltages are used but RivaTuner should alleviate that.

Yup, I am sticking to software-only solutions from now on like I had in the past... finally decided to dip into the BIOS flashing thing and it burnt badly.

So, I sent an email to my seller about the card, and they agreed to let me send it back for a full refund :eek: . Yeah, I'm as shocked as you guys are, I expected a "too bad, you borked it" kind of message back. I'm ordering a new one once I see it instock somewhere :D such as newegg or whatnot. I am so unbelievably lucky on this I really can't believe it!

Been playing at the same overclock I had early in the thread before I goofed around with the BIOS without issue (790core/4400ram), going to stick to that until RivaTuner/whatnot supports overclocking this card, load temp is around 69c at these speeds with 34% fan with the CCC Profile tweak :D. Performs like a beast... I'm sure it has much more room too.

I read a bunch of reviews and I'm still confused on this 7.1 audio support. Does this mean it is basically a sound card too? If I have onboard sound will this automatically take over? How do I connect it to my receiver? Can I use both the DVI outputs at the same time? One would go to the monitor and another to the receiver via HDMI adapter?

Not sure DaNotorious, might want to make a new thread on that but it is just a passthrough, not a sound card in and of itself. :)

gt4870octt8.gif

Woot :D it's back 100% perfect again! 790core/4200ram effective.

Good to hear GT, looks like GDDR5 was not to blame at all.

Once software OC'ing is around and some aftermarket coolers get thrown on these things, we might see some ridiculous clocks. Diamond is suggesting their WC'd card (that comes at 800Mhz) can hit 950...

omg i dont think i would be able to hold on for another month to get one of these

Glad you got it working! Quit screwing around and play some games!:D

Yep, no more fiddling until the software OC utilities come :D. I'm going to just enjoy the thing until then ;)!

Yes, I do think we'll see some absurd clocks once those utilities hit... for grins and giggles I flashed to 840 core and it was running OK, but then flashed back (before I posted that screenshot before) and have been gaming on it at 790/1050(4200) now, will do so until the utilities come. The temperature wasn't too hot, but I don't want to hurt the card :p. If it turns out heat becomes the limiting factor I will probably grab an Accelero S1 Rev. 2 for it plus the fan module or a DuOrb or the Zalman VF1000... but I'm not so sure it will, especially if I raised the fan further.

Aye aye, Captain :D !
4870gtoc2bo9.gif

To quote myself earlier in the thread before the whole truncated BIOS issue:

I'm sorry guys, but the card died on me when I tried flashing to 870/4500 with a slightly higher voltage in BIOS... it worked fine for Crysis and others for about 15 minutes just running hot, but due to temps I flashed back to stock... suddenly bluescreen, now no boot... put in a card alongside it and it shows up in Windows, flashed to default BIOS with higher fan speeds and it won't come back to life still.

The card was stable at 870/4500... stock cooling 32% fan if I recall, just running hot... I think we're going to see some really high overclocks on stock cooling with 50% or higher fan once a normal software OC utility comes out. The clocks apparrently had nothing to do with the card crashing on me, and I'm not even sure that editing the BIOS voltage did anything (somehow doubt it).

Even though flashing with the proper 128Kbyte BIOS has proven to work now through cold boots, I'm not going to try any higher speeds than CCC Overdrive allows for actual use until I can do it in software. I did test 820/4500 again with a higher fan setting (37%) and it worked fine for a good 20 minutes until I flashed back to normal, and am using CCC for 790/4400 until the time comes. I've little doubt if I were to set the fan to around 55% and flash 870/4500 it would run just fine since it was just very hot before with the lower fan setting. There is 100% definitely tons of headroom on these... imagine with aftermarket cooling to boot!

Hey GT, congrats on the card. You are one of the reasons im considering the 4870. ITS NOT IN STOCK ANYWHERE! lol. A friend of mine works for bestbuy he said he can get it for around 270. but he doesnt know when they will come into stock. Im still on the edge of purcashing a 4850 combo (Visiontek 4850+2gb ddr2 for 200.48 + 10 MIR). But i have 4gigs already lol. I wish the shipments came out. I have a 6600 vanilla and playin bf2 is just dreadful at 1680 x 1050

Thank you... I'm quite relieved that I won't have to shell out ~$50 to ship it back to Hong Kong, and that there isn't an actual issue with the 4870s as a whole, personally. I wanted to get another one but was actually thinking toward the 4850 at the time because of the supposed death-phenomenon that turned out to be bad BIOS flashes (truncated files). I went and bought a 4850 over the weekend before my 4870 was revived, because of these concerns and figured since it's 100% returnable opened to BestBuy without a restock fee, I would see what happened but have my rig up and running in the meantime. It was definitely a downgrade, but it still provided a good level of performance. The 4870 was the card I really wanted.

We'll probably see plenty of the 4870s in-stock tomorrow, due to weekend restocks/etc. As far as Bestbuy since they haven't had any shipment yet apparrently for their site orders, I doubt any of the stores got them either. So, you're probably in good shape if he orders one for you with the discount... I would tend to think they'll get their first batch soon, but just a guess. I did use a 4850 this weekend figuring I was going to have to return the 4870, and while it performs nicely there was noticeably worse performance in TF2 for me (I didn't play/bench anything else). It also overclocked very poorly, wouldn't nudge beyond around 670core/1025ram(2050 DDR3) for me stock. I'd wait until the morning regardless before actually deciding if the in-stock status if one of your main worries.

Still, the price is a lot lower than the 4870, though if you're planning on replacing the stock cooler of the 4850 bear in mind the 4870's stock one is pretty darn beefy, so the price difference may not be as big as it appears for you. They are both excellent cards, but for me the decision came down to the overclockability of the 4870, the 2-slot cooler, and the GDDR5 which (seemingly) helps with the AA/etc. performance a lot. If you have the cash to do it, I'd go for the 4870, but really if you don't, I would think most people would be hard-pressed to be disappointed in the 4850's performance come the end of the day.

Good to see you've worked it out! It also goes to show that it's probably prudent to investigate an issue thoroughly before concluding that it's a manufacturing issue :)

nice, i have the cash thats not the problem, its my jewish blood that keeps be back haha. I will be getting a e7200 in the next 2 days for free. So in hopes of passing the 3.4ghz mark and gaining performance I am really wanting to get the 4870. Do you still have the 4850 at your house? This computer hardware hobby is just so addicting. People who arnt into this just dont understand.

I wanted to see the 4850 get 750 on the core, saw gurusan from xtremesystem forums get 900+!!!!! i mean thats crazy! Then i thuoght to myself. Look at the 4870, at 800-900 core and then the bandwidth provided by the ddr5 shuold boost FPS even farther. I played crysis a lot when i had my 9800gtx but lately i got bored of it, infact i was bored of it after playing it so much. The custom levels kept me going but i just play bf2 now. a 4870 for bf2 lol....sounds perfect. He just texted me saying that he doesnt know when the next shipment comes, not listed in computer. i have no school or work on july 4th and july 7th, so i really want to get my card before then. want to enjoy some GRID and Alone in the Dark or somethign else in my spare time. All i know is july 4th is gonna be a bbq and lots of people over so i dont want to play games then. just want to get it early.

on xtremesystems my username is ZaraZa

i saw the volt mods and everything, very interested in that stuff on the 4870.

I'm getting... odd... Crysis results here. Other games are running fine, but Crysis seems WAY below the pack of games vs. the 280, whereas the 4870 is very competitive if not equal to it with 8x AA and 16x AF in the games I'm testing. Crysis seems to be having some major issues with tons of loading and complete stuttering at parts of the timedemo, while FPS stays the same whether I have no AA, or all the way up to 8x AA, the framerate stays exactly the same (the AA is changing looking by eye during the demo, just not the framerates). Any ideas? This card looks to be a beast, but I'm thinking there's a driver issue with Crysis at the moment. Other games are giving VERY good results though. Also, GPU-Z is showing the non-DDR5 bandwidth (i.e. bandwidth as though it was running at the RAM speed it actually is, rather than 4x bandwidth which = DDR5 bandwidth). Hopefully the next few days will see a new driver release and some bugfixes.

I guess you don't know that crytek pretty much built crysis as a benchmark tool for nvidia. Nvidia paid for some of the engine r/d and was pretty much involved in the development of crysis by crytek. That's probably why even newer ati cards perform rather poorly compared to newer and older nv gpus and that fps gains from crossfiring either 4850s or 4870s are virtually nonexistent.

I guess you don't know that crytek pretty much built crysis as a benchmark tool for nvidia. Nvidia paid for some of the engine r/d and was pretty much involved in the development of crysis by crytek. That's probably why even newer ati cards perform rather poorly compared to newer and older nv gpus and that fps gains from crossfiring either 4850s or 4870s are virtually nonexistent.

that would make sense since its a The way its meant to be played game.

Back