4870/4850 overclocking is here

and how much have you done ? post some results really want to know the limit of this card

Works fine for me but fan control through the CCC tweak is disabled if I use it alongside this. Using my 840/1100 BIOS the fan control tweaks I made in it work fine, while this tool lets me change clocks also. Heat is a huge issue at these speeds, I can do 870/1125 but the fan has to be way up.

Tiger you are not running at those speeds on air. There is just no way. And for sure not on the stock heatsink either.

Just did 800/1100. My temp was 56c at load with Crysis. I tried 870 but it crashed my drivers instantly when playing Crysis. I guess I would have to raise the volts.

Hmm... I can only get mine up to 790/1000, if i go up to 800/1000 I start getting artifacts within a few seconds in ati tool, and same thing if i go up to 790/1100. Do I just have a poor overclocker or will raising voltages help out? Temps stay at 40C idle and 65C load so I doubt that's the problem.

I am on air on the stock cooler. I flashed with RBE to adjust fan speeds and the voltage which does seem to be affecting heat/stability, though I don't own a multimeter to confirm. 855 to 856mhz is another major speed jump with one of the hidden clocks (855 lower, 856 is the first mhz to be a huge jump from there). So, I'm trying to get it stable at a reasonable fan speed, works OK 856/1100 but after 45 minutes or so of gameplay it gets too hot and locks :(. 870/1125 is just way too hot, though it does work I have to have the fan speed at near-max.

Thinking of buying an aftermarket cooler, but not sure it's worth the bucks if I can get 856/1100 stable.

I am assuming to get 850+ on a stock cooler you are running 100% fan speed and 1.2v? I can't imagine anything over 750 without going 1.3v with pencil mod and aftermarket cooling!

Edit: Wait, this is a 4870, huh? I am an idiot... Then again, no one has even said what card they had. :rolleyes:

800/1100 on stock volts/cooling here

hope to go much higher when i stop being lazy and replace the cooler with an hr03

Anyone try over clocking with this using water? I'm betting with water cooling and a volt mod you can hit some big numbers. I have water but no full card block is out yet. My 4870 arrives tomorrow and I'm looking forward to overclocking the crap out of :) Beating a $650 card with a $315 card is [H]ard in my book!

I'll have my 4870 crossfire setup running on water as soon as i get my baord RMA'd from newegg. With my q6600 running 3.8ghz and crossfired 4870s at 790/1100 i scored 20585 in 3dmark06. I broke the board trying to get it to run 4ghz, which i'm not happy about. You'd think a 230 dollar x38 motherboard would be able to handle running 4ghz.

Anyone try over clocking with this using water? I'm betting with water cooling and a volt mod you can hit some big numbers. I have water but no full card block is out yet. My 4870 arrives tomorrow and I'm looking forward to overclocking the crap out of Beating a $650 card with a $315 card is [H]ard in my book!

The best i've got out of my Powercolor 4870 so far is 860/1200 stable, using my old Swiftech MCW60 water block and some ram sinks. I have had it running Rthdribl at 890/1250, but crashes during 3d06. Temps are around 36 idle and 42 load .Will be very tempted to try a voltmod when one gets sorted -I'm sure a stable 900+ is easily do-able.

Good deal, I have the same water block but I have crappy ram sinks. I am going to see if I can have the machine shop where I work make me up a plate that will mount over the ram and then thermal glue some copper heat sinks to it so I don't have to glue anything to the ram. I plan to get a full face block but the problem is I still have the EK water block to my 8800GTX. $100+ for blocks for every card I buy is starting to get too expensive!

How are you guys getting the Clocks past 790/1100 and also adjust the fan speed?
When I use the cktool thing the OP linked, the manual fan speed I set vanishes.
Thanks

Is there any point in installling CCC still if this program overclocks? does this program display temp? I dont need fan control with the aftermarket cooler I have so not sure if I should even bother installing CCC?

This thread would be very much helped if everybody would mention what cards they have!

I too am interested to see if anybody can get the fan speeds going while using this tool. Anybody tried it with the 8.7 beta drivers to see if they fixed the fan issues?

the 8.7's will not fix the fan issue. Best way to fix it is to edit your own bios.

I'll have my 4870 crossfire setup running on water as soon as i get my baord RMA'd from newegg. With my q6600 running 3.8ghz and crossfired 4870s at 790/1100 i scored 20585 in 3dmark06. I broke the board trying to get it to run 4ghz, which i'm not happy about. You'd think a 230 dollar x38 motherboard would be able to handle running 4ghz.

wouldn't be proud of that. considering i get 19k on 3dmark06 with a single 4870 (850,1150) and quad @ 3.7ghz

Ok my RAM can't OC very well. I thought it was my core crapping out on me at 780mhz, but it was my RAM that can't handle 1ghz.

My core is stable up to the CCC max of 790 so far, but I haven't pushed it further since the AMD tool eliminates the fan speed profile.

the 8.7's will not fix the fan issue. Best way to fix it is to edit your own bios.

The 8.7 Betas have a fork of the 8.7 final D3D/OGL drivers, but CCC is still older. And they could have fixed it after the leak.

Future RV770s will use less volts initially (give 1-3 months time). You're seeing the 3870 effect as I call it.

"Failed: no devices found"
It doesnt like me :(

*edit* oops, yes it does work, tried to run the old version on accident.

So I'm trying to use the amd gpu clock tool but with a modified bios so the fan speeds aren't really low. But for some reason, when I flash my 4870 with RBE, only changing the fan options (using the transfer function option), the card never switches to 3d clocks, however the fan is running as configured in the bios. But then if I flash back to the stock bios, it changes to 3d clocks fine. Anyone know whats the problem? And in the amd gpu clock tool, the option for 2d/3d clocks is all greyed out, anyway to change that?

So far I've pushed my 4870 to 775/1000. Right now I have the fan set at 48% and its idling at 43c , at load it gets to 57c , thats pretty good considering my old GTS would hit mid sixties at lower clocks.

my stock sapphire 4850 is at 700/2200 right now using 55% fan speed. 60$% is too loud 55% if just right. i think it can go higher.

Back