SpectraView II (NEC 2490/2690 owners)

Elvar

n00b
I can get the NEC 2490WUXi specially delivered to me in Iceland, but only without the SpectraView II calibration kit...

I've read that the SpectraView II is almost mandatory for this monitor. So are there any NEC owners out there, who's already calibrated their monitor, willing to sell me their kit ?

I can get the NEC 2490WUXi specially delivered to me in Iceland, but only without the SpectraView II calibration kit...

I've read that the SpectraView II is almost mandatory for this monitor. So are there any NEC owners out there, who's already calibrated their monitor, willing to sell me their kit ?

A monitor cannot be calibrated once and for lifetime.
SpectraViewII does not only polish colors, it extends NEC's functionality.
You may need it again and again.
I will keep SV kit as long as I keep the monitor.

You can download NEC calibration software (PM me for the link, if you can't find it) and buy another calibrator like Spyder 3 pro or XŔite iDisplay2.

Thanks for the helpful responeses Albovin and Biges. I thought at first that you only calibrated once. This explains why SpectraView isn't available on ebay.

Would you recommend using another calibrator with this monitor, because I've read that the SpectraView II is the only calibrator that will calibrate the internal LUT of the monitor (or something like that). But I don't know if that's important or not.

I'm going to be using the monitor for color correcting footage from my Ultra HD camera and for gaming as well...

Thanks for the helpful responeses Albovin and Biges. I thought at first that you only calibrated once. This explains why SpectraView isn't available on ebay.

Would you recommend using another calibrator with this monitor, because I've read that the SpectraView II is the only calibrator that will calibrate the internal LUT of the monitor (or something like that). But I don't know if that's important or not.

I'm going to be using the monitor for color correcting footage from my Ultra HD camera and for gaming as well...

Internal LUT calibration is an advantage over regular calibration.
Try to get your monitor from North America with SVII kit.

Ive got the 2490 and 2690 and would like to get the Spectraview Profile here in the states. The reason being that Spectraview II does not calibrate other monitors.

I tried the download of the SVprofile 14 day trial and the Hardware LUt adjustment was grayed out, and I do have the US version of the monitor ! It does nice Video LUT and overall I like the software.

Has anyone seen both SV Profile and SVII do they look and perform the same?

Were can I get the SV Profile?

Thanks
DL

Ive got the 2490 and 2690 and would like to get the Spectraview Profile here in the states. The reason being that Spectraview II does not calibrate other monitors.

I tried the download of the SVprofile 14 day trial and the Hardware LUt adjustment was grayed out, and I do have the US version of the monitor ! It does nice Video LUT and overall I like the software.

Has anyone seen both SV Profile and SVII do they look and perform the same?

Were can I get the SV Profile?

Thanks
DL

The Spectraview II software is developed by NEC North America. The Spectraview Profile 4 software is a rebranded version of the basICColor 4 calibration software and will only hardware calibrate EU NEC Spectraview screens. NEC Europe tweak their Spectraview screens to prevent hardware calibration with the non Spectraview screens.

If you want hardware calibration of your monitors then you will have to use the Spectraview II software and use something else for any other screens. If you have an i1 Display 2 colorimeter you download the calibration software from X-rite to calibrate other monitors.

You can use Spyder 3 or X-Rite Display 2 and the US software or basICColor display4. PM me when you receive the monitor.

I just received my 2490 and wow it sure is nice.

Very interesting thing. Once I plugged in the 2490 all my software came alive .... The SVProfile demo and the Lacie Pro software both calibrated via the Hardware LUT (with just the 2690 US version nothing worked??). I confirmed this by viewing the OSM settings moved to Program mode automatically. Even the 2690 that was on the system was now able to be Hardware calibrated.

Im not sure what the difference is between the 2690 and the 2490 when it comes to HW LUT but the 2490 is sending the system the green light to connect to it.

I guess the Lacie software thinks its the 300 or 500 series monitor even though it shows all the correct monitor info in the about section.

The only problem I have now is that when I want to calibrate NON Nec monitors on my system the software wants to connect to the NEC units. Im having to deselect them from the display menu and then start the software (both the SV Profile and the Lacie Pro).

Any suggestions on this and is it still better to use the US version of Spectravision or is the Lacie Pro fine. (EU version is demo and will expire soon) I wonder if BasicColor has the same issue as the SVprofile?

Thanks

basICColor 4 has exactly the same issues as Spectraview Profile 4 as they are the same software. NEC just changed the name and logos for the Spectraview version.

Thanks mlewis.

Has anyone seen both the Spectraview Profile and Spectraview II And which is better if you can only have one of them. Its my understanding that the US version SVII is not the same as the BasicColor version (spectraview profile)

The Spectraview II software is developed by NEC North America. The Spectraview Profile 4 software is a rebranded version of the basICColor 4 calibration software and will only hardware calibrate EU NEC Spectraview screens. NEC Europe tweak their Spectraview screens to prevent hardware calibration with the non Spectraview screens.

If you want hardware calibration of your monitors then you will have to use the Spectraview II software and use something else for any other screens. If you have an i1 Display 2 colorimeter you download the calibration software from X-rite to calibrate other monitors.

oh question is that if i get a 2490 or 2690 with SV in Canada or the US, then i will be able to use it on other monitor letz say a Samsung 226BW that my gf use?

just did a little more reading... since the SV version is 200$ difference... and the XRite Eye One is also 200$. would i be better off with the XRite Eye One since i can also use it on other non NEC monitor? or the one that provided by NEC is better for NEC display?

The SVII software will only calibrate xx90 series NEC monitors like the 2490 and 2690 but you need it to utilise the full hardware calibration capabilities of those monitors.

The Eye One Match software that will come with X-Rite colorimeters will not hardware calibrate any monitor.

If you get the SV kit with colorimeter from NEC you should be able to download the Eye One Match software from X-Rite and use that software, with the colorimeter from NEC, to calibrate other monitors such as the Samsung you mentioned.

Has anyone seen both the Spectraview Profile and Spectraview II And which is better if you can only have one of them. Its my understanding that the US version SVII is not the same as the BasicColor version (spectraview profile)

In North America the Spectraview monitors are identical to their Multisync equivalents but you get the Spectraview kit added to the box. If you get the Multisync version you can buy the Spectraview II software at a later date and have the full Spectraview experience. In Europe NEC is not so enlightened. You can buy the Multisync monitors and you cannot get the Spectraview software at a later date and be able to hardware calibrate them. For hardware calibration you have to buy the Spectraview version which has modified firmware to allow hardware calibration with the Spectraview Profile software. The price differential between the Multisync and Spectraview versions in Europe is a lot more than in North America.

These different policies mean that the Spectraview software is different in each region. In North America NEC write the SVII software. NEC Europe licenses the basICColor software from its German writers. They should both give the same good results when used with appropriate monitors.

The basICColor software has the same limitations on what it can hardware calibrate as the Spectraview variant. I asked the makers and they confirmed this.

thx mlewis for the big help!

btw i just figured out that Eye One = i1 LOL!!!

Cheers

KeymaN

question to all the 2490 and 2690 owners

do any of u having troubles using these monitors to play games?
like ghosting, or the response is enough or not ( do i need to use the overdrive thingy ) and long time playing it will cause bad things happen? apply to both pc gaming or console gaming

Thanks

KeymaN

question to all the 2490 and 2690 owners

do any of u having troubles using these monitors to play games?
like ghosting, or the response is enough or not ( do i need to use the overdrive thingy ) and long time playing it will cause bad things happen? apply to both pc gaming or console gaming

Thanks

KeymaN

I'm PC RPG/strategy games player and I have no problems with my 2690.

I have played Quake 4 and the Half Life 2 series of games on my 2690 with no problems. I haven't turned overdrive on.

Thanks guys! looks like the 2690 would be more than enough for gaming and some beginner photo editing ( just i started to do some photo editing by myself ) if i really a sRGB monitor for photo editing in the future... then maybe i will conside to get the 2490 as the second and photo editing display ( and hope the price would go down by that time! )

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread for the help with the software versions and such ;-). I am loving this 2490 more and more each day...... After calibrating it with both the BasicColor Version (SVProfile) and the Spectraview II version, the result was the same FANTASTIC. I havent touched it since.

Good viewing to all:D

Thanks guys! looks like the 2690 would be more than enough for gaming and some beginner photo editing ( just i started to do some photo editing by myself ) if i really a sRGB monitor for photo editing in the future... then maybe i will conside to get the 2490 as the second and photo editing display ( and hope the price would go down by that time! )

Use a photo editing application which supports colour profiles (I think most of them do).

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this thread for the help with the software versions and such ;-). I am loving this 2490 more and more each day...... After calibrating it with both the BasicColor Version (SVProfile) and the Spectraview II version, the result was the same FANTASTIC. I havent touched it since.

Good viewing to all:D

Do you read it, NEC guys? There is an extremely satisfied customer from Iceland, you should really send him an extra present ;)

Back