Where are all the 2560 x 1600 gamers?

sifulee

Limp Gawd
So I just bought a SyncMaster 305T 30" widescreen monitor and a GTX 260 last week and I’ve been having a blast playing all my games (old and new)! Gaming at 2560 x 1600 is simply amazing! It may cost an arm and leg to join the 30" club but its money well spent. My question to the rest of you guys is what graphics card are you using with your 30” monitors? I spent several hours debating which graphics card to get and ended up getting the 260. I was afraid it wouldn’t have enough juice to play all my games (and future games) at the massive native resolution of 2560 x 1600. Well I couldn’t be more happier. With the GTX 260 I'm able to play all my games at very high in-game settings at the native resolution, with the exception of Crysis (plays great and runs smooth on medium settings). I'm also able to crank up AA/AF in many of the games I play but certainly not all. Overall I'm very happy with the 305T and GTX 260. They are both remarkable products. The games I’m currently playing are COD4, HL2 series, Stalker series, UT3, and Crysis series.

So what are you guys using any what are your experiences?

Are you completely happy with your decision of the gtx260? I was looking at that one as well, but I'm a little worried if its powerful enough for the 30" Dell. I'm considering getting an SLI 260 setup or just a single gtx280. The gtx260 dont seem to do well in an SLI configuration. Do you have the newer gtx260 with 216 stream or the older 192. I'm also contemplating holding out until the new gen cards come out but I've heard that could be a while.

Yes I'm completely happy with the GTX260. The 260 or 4870 would be the best bang for your buck. The only game I'm not able to play at high setting is Crysis and even playing Crysis on medium setting looks absolutely beautiful at 2560 x 1600.

At first i was gonna get either the GTX 280 or the 4870x2 but just couldn't justify the price difference over the 260. The 260 performs very very well at this resolution and I get very consistent frames on all the games I play, even crysis runs like butter on medium (for the most part :p )

I have a Samsung 305T as well and don't regret spending the fortune that I did on it. I play HL2, COD4, GRAW2, GTR2, Mass Effect, F.E.A.R., and some other odd games. With my BFG 8800 GTX OC2 768MB I have been able to play every game I have tried on it at high settings. I don't bother with AA because I can't see the need for it at such a high resolution. I am honestly quite amazed at how well my "old" GTX still handles the new stuff.

I have a pair of 9800gtx cards in SLi running a 3007wfp-hc.
Sure you can't crank the graphics to full on intensive games, but I love pixels more than effects most of the time.

Yeah good point about AA. With 4.096 mega pixels I don't really care too much about AA either. Honestly I'm still trying to get adjusted to all the real estate I have now! But yeah sure I would love to have 2 GTX280s in sli but honest my GTX 260 is doing a fantastic job as it is now. :p

Is there anyone here using any ATI cards at this resolution? I was gonna get a 4870 1gb but they didn't have any at my local Frys so I picked up the 260 instead.

Got an LG W3000H-BN here, and I love it.

I didn't go for the 305t since it had too much input lag.

have a Samsung 305T Plus here.... but started with the apple cinema 30" back in 2006... I game with a XFX 9800GX2 overclocked to 700mghz core.. 1800mghz shader.. and 2200mghz memory...

Cant wait till I join you people but waiting until a decent graphic proper 30 incher hits the market that doesnt cost as much as the GDP of a small country and is ips not pva.......wish samsung takes over the IPS panel....

I'm using three BFG Technologies Geforce GTX 280 OC's in 3-Way SLI with my 30" Dell 3007WFP.

I personally am excited for the X58's to come out so I can get my intel chipset and SLI without going skulltrail, once there I think I might move to a 30 inch.

I'm using the LG W3000H-BN (with a 4870x2), after comparing it with the Samsung 305T+ side-by-side.

I don't understand why the Samsung is so popular while the LG is clearly a superior display. I'm a gamer, but also doing alot of photo and HD video editing, and the LG was clearly superior, after calibrating both with a spectro (i1 Pro).

I was gaming on a 24'' LCD before, and I will never go back to a ''small'' screen like that. :)

I'm using the LG W3000H-BN (with a 4870x2), after comparing it with the Samsung 305T+ side-by-side.

I don't understand why the Samsung is so popular while the LG is clearly a superior display. I'm a gamer, but also doing alot of photo and HD video editing, and the LG was clearly superior, after calibrating both with a spectro (i1 Pro).

I was gaming on a 24'' LCD before, and I will never go back to a ''small'' screen like that. :)
GREAT to see another W3000H-BN user!

Tell me, when you push down on the screen near the bottom and top edges, does it "push" or "pop" in like a button?

I haven't been gaming much since I got my 30" monitor because of the 7900GS. I've been waiting for the 4850x2 to come out but I'll also be tempted to buy a GTX 260 Core 216 if the right deal comes along.

I haven't been gaming much since I got my 30" monitor because of the 7900GS. I've been waiting for the 4850x2 to come out but I'll also be tempted to buy a GTX 260 Core 216 if the right deal comes along.

I wouldn't do less than a Geforce GTX 280 or a ATI Radeon 4870 X2 with a 30" LCD.

I don't have a 30", I'm still in the 24"/1920x1200 club. I haev to say from the reviews I've seen and threads I've read I'd have to go with a 4870x2 if I wanted a single card, or SLI 280s if I wanted to go the SLI route.

My 8800GTS G92 still seems to be holding up for my Dell 30". I pretty much only play TF2, though. I refuse to turn my computer into a blowdryer just to play Crysis. :)

My 8800GTS G92 still seems to be holding up for my Dell 30". I pretty much only play TF2, though. I refuse to turn my computer into a blowdryer just to play Crysis. :)

TF2 isn't really all that demanding.

Yes I'm completely happy with the GTX260. The 260 or 4870 would be the best bang for your buck. The only game I'm not able to play at high setting is Crysis and even playing Crysis on medium setting looks absolutely beautiful at 2560 x 1600.

At first i was gonna get either the GTX 280 or the 4870x2 but just couldn't justify the price difference over the 260. The 260 performs very very well at this resolution and I get very consistent frames on all the games I play, even crysis runs like butter on medium (for the most part :p )

Was that the 216 or the older 192 processing cores

I upgraded from an 8800GTX to GTX 280.

Basically went from being able to play at 2560x1600 without AA to being able to play it with plenty of AA :)

2560 x 1600 gamer here and loving it since day one.

Just stumbled onto this thread. I was wondering if it is worth me upgrading my current setup to an oclocked BFG 280 gtx SLI setup. What do you guys think? I have played every game other than Crysis so far @ 2560 x 1600 max af and max aa and the experience is truly breathtaking.

I would think that an oclocked gtx 280 sli setup should be able to play at 2560 x 1600 with max aff and maybe 2 x aa or so or just Edge AA enabled. SO bottomline is would you guys recommend an upgrade or just hold off till March or so of next year to get a new video card setup?

On another note, I am not looking to upgrade my CPU because its fast enough for me and as we all know games are GPU limited and looking at the initial benches of Nehalem, I am not too impressed. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Cheers!

I had 2560*1600 on my xhd3000 and the performance hit wasn't worth it to me. I then went to a 37" screen with 1080p res and I couldn't be happier.

I had 2560*1600 on my xhd3000 and the performance hit wasn't worth it to me. I then went to a 37" screen with 1080p res and I couldn't be happier.

Blasphemy! Don't listen to his lies! :D
But, serious now, I love gaming at 2560x1600. It's amazing, definitely kicks the crap out of that w2207 I had to use for a while because of such things as car repairs and HP taking 1 1/2 months to get me a new monitor.

Just stumbled onto this thread. I was wondering if it is worth me upgrading my current setup to an oclocked BFG 280 gtx SLI setup. What do you guys think? I have played every game other than Crysis so far @ 2560 x 1600 max af and max aa and the experience is truly breathtaking.

I would think that an oclocked gtx 280 sli setup should be able to play at 2560 x 1600 with max aff and maybe 2 x aa or so or just Edge AA enabled. SO bottomline is would you guys recommend an upgrade or just hold off till March or so of next year to get a new video card setup?

On another note, I am not looking to upgrade my CPU because its fast enough for me and as we all know games are GPU limited and looking at the initial benches of Nehalem, I am not too impressed. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Cheers!

check this chart:
http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts/

8800GTX's overclocked to ultras (very easy to do, takes maybe 15 mins) in SLi is not far from 280 SLi.

8800 Ultra SLi is not on that chart, but jsut add a few FPS (about 10% more to the 8800GTX scores) to the 8800GTX SLi scores and thats where youll get.

8800 Ultra's in SLi compared to 9800GTX's in SLI are here:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14524/8

I would upgrade, but not yet. From the reviews I've read GTX 280 SLI will definitly be faster than ultra SLI, by 30-50% depending on the game. The reason I say not yet is we should see the 280 die shrink within a couple of months and seeing outside of stalker and crysis there isn't much to push your ultras now I'd wait till the die shrink comes out.

check this chart:
http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts/

8800GTX's overclocked to ultras (very easy to do, takes maybe 15 mins) in SLi is not far from 280 SLi.

8800 Ultra SLi is not on that chart, but jsut add a few FPS (about 10% more to the 8800GTX scores) to the 8800GTX SLi scores and thats where youll get.

8800 Ultra's in SLi compared to 9800GTX's in SLI are here:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14524/8

Saying that overclocked 8800GTX's in SLI can get close to Geforce GTX 280 SLI is not only an out right lie, its' bullshit. I've had both the 8800GTX and the Geforce GTX 280's in SLI and 3-Way SLI and they are no where NEAR freaking close to one another. The Geforce GTX 280 SLI rapes the 8800GTX overclocked to Ultra speeds in SLI. I had mine overclocked well past Ultra speeds on water cooling and stock Geforce GTX 280's rape them.

I'm hoping you had a brain fart or something and you meant 8800GTX's overclocked to Ultra speeds are a close match for a single Geforce GTX 280. Then you'd be closer to being right.

That chart is BS if it says otherwise.

I've had several different SLi setups as well, and there must be something wrong with that review/chart.
Perhaps 8800GTX SLi is close to par with a single GTX 280?

I've had several different SLi setups as well, and there must be something wrong with that review/chart.
Perhaps 8800GTX SLi is close to par with a single GTX 280?

He must of been looking at the 3D Mark 2006 chart on that site. :rolleyes:

How far back do you all have to sit in order to not feel like you are in the front row at an IMAX movie? :)

How far back do you all have to sit in order to not feel like you are in the front row at an IMAX movie? :)

I don't. I want the monitor taking up the bulk of my peripheral vision. It helps with immersion. Sitting 8 feet back from a 30" monitor or 2 feel back from a 19" LCD is about the same thing.

I don't. I want the monitor taking up the bulk of my peripheral vision. It helps with immersion. Sitting 8 feet back from a 30" monitor or 2 feel back from a 19" LCD is about the same thing.

That's the problem I have with my 24" screen, I can still see a little light outside the edge of the screen.

Back