Apple 24" LED-backlit IPS Cinema Display with DisplayPort ($899)?

rezonat0r

Weaksauce
This hasn't been officially announced yet, but it seems to be all but confirmed around the internets (AppleInsider, etc). I guess we'll know for sure in another hour or two after the event.

For that price, assuming LED and DisplayPort, the NEC IPS's are going to have drop quite a bit to compete (and it's about time!)

More info soon...

It's official. AWESOME.

"The 24-inch display has 1920 x 1200 pixel resolution, a Built-in iSight and mic, stereo speakers and a three port USB hub." (Gizmodo)

Available November. :D

macvent0127WTMK.JPG

The previous cinema displays have been IPS, though without the A-TW polarizer. I would be shocked if this wasn't IPS. Confirmation would be nice.

Looks like I was right, for once, to hold off on the current crop of DS/Planar 26-inchers...

The previous cinema displays have been IPS, though without the A-TW polarizer. I would be shocked if this wasn't IPS. Confirmation would be nice.

Looks like I was right, for once, to hold off on the current crop of DS/Planar 26-inchers...

I'd put money on it being a TN, same as the Lenovo in the news item on this link:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/14.htm#lenovo_l2440

EDIT: glad I didn't bet any real money :) apple store specs state view angles 178° H&V (too good for TN)

Note that the Lacie 724 is >$2000 & that's LED backlit SPVA, IPS tends to be more expensive than SPVA, so we'll have to wait for the full spec to be released. $899 would be an incredible price point if this new Apple is IPS

Looks quite decent if IPS. I wonder about color gamut(most likely wide, seems the main advantage of LED). Already have my NEC 2490, but I might have got this instead if it is an sRGB IPS.

Blah if it is VA or TN. At this price I wouldn't be surprised with TN. More features (LED backlight) and less quality (TN). This seems to be the way everyone is going. (Hugs NEC 2490).

Also is there any way to get DVI into without an expensive converter?

Blah if it is VA or TN. At this price I wouldn't be surprised with TN. More features (LED backlight) and less quality (TN). This seems to be the way everyone is going. (Hugs NEC 2490).

Also is there any way to get DVI into without an expensive converter?

There would be a pretty huge backlash if they went TN, as the difference between it and previous cinema displays would be night and day. Basically this is the previous ACD (which was IPS and $899) but with LED and an i-Sight. So the question is, how much have LED backlights dropped in price lately.

The fact that they leapfrogged HDMI altogether is excellent. Unknown what their DP to DVI converter would cost, but I believe DP has a different signaling standard because it allows much greater bandwidth.

There would be a pretty huge backlash if they went TN, as the difference between it and previous cinema displays would be night and day. Basically this is the previous ACD (which was IPS and $899) but with LED and an i-Sight. So the question is, how much have LED backlights dropped in price lately.

The fact that they leapfrogged HDMI altogether is excellent. Unknown what their DP to DVI converter would cost, but I believe DP has a different signaling standard because it allows much greater bandwidth.

The leap to DisplayPort seems to be in line with what ATI has been pushing recently. Both the new HD4670 and HD4550 cards featured DisplayPort on the reference design, rather than an third party add-on like a few of Palit's Geforce cards.

Also, I'll echo samven582's question and ask if this can be used with PCs, or if its some sort of proprietary thing (I'm assuming its usable by anything as it has DP or a converter).

note the 14ms response time...definitely not TN. gotta wait to see if its VA or IPS:)

Well that depends. It's 24" vs 26" and the DS/Planars have virtually no input lag which is very important to some people. That said, my MB Air has an LED backlit display and I really love it.

Heh, I'm buying one of these new notebooks and their store is up and down by the second. Must be getting hammered.

Anyway here are their prices for the DP to DVI adapters.

# Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter [Add $99.00]
# Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter [Add $29.00]

WOW, I just realized - I think this is a GLOSSY display. Interesting.

I used to hate glossy displays, but the one on my current Macbook is fine. Now I'd take a clear-looking glossy display over a grainy, sparkly (because of agressive anti-glare coating) matte display. Not that all matte displays are like that, but the higher end IPS's, especially the NECs are very grainy to my eyes.

Still, that is going to turn quite a few people away, methinks.

same with the macbook/mbp displays. matte screens are going bye bye from apple's stable.

my bigger question is will the 30" display get similar treatment in the very near future? should i wait?

Hmm, would LED backlighting help with producing darker blacks? If so, sign me up!

Not really, but in my experience an LED backlight has a much wider range than a CCFL. So it usually can get both dimmer and brighter than traditional backlights. As opposed to these current IPS's that are 500cm^2 nuclear level bright and can't really be dimmed too much.

But no, black level won't really change.

Oh god I don't care if this is glossy or not but let the thirty incher be matte!!

Heh, I'm buying one of these new notebooks and their store is up and down by the second. Must be getting hammered.

those are for connecting a DVI monitor to the new macbooks, not for connecting a DVI card to the new display

we need a mini display port female to DVI (male or female) converter

Is this 'mini displayport' different than 'displayport'? more to the point is it a proprietary Apple connector that they will use to gouge extra $s out of their customers i.e. is an adaptor needed to connect a graphics card with a standard displayport?

Is this 'mini displayport' different than 'displayport'? more to the point is it a proprietary Apple connector that they will use to gouge extra $s out of their customers i.e. is an adaptor needed to connect a graphics card with a standard displayport?

Yep

You know the most important thing from this news brings to light is the competition that apple has now created. I think were going to start to see an influx of new LED screens pop up really soon.

iirc one wouldn't need the dual-link adapter, since 1920x1200 res only requires single link dvi bandwidth.

If you're right that's shocking, I wouldn't ever be suprised by Apple using such tactics but how the hell do they get to have "DisplayPort" in the name if it's not actually part of the DisplayPort standard?

Still, looking at the store it looks like the cable will be a seperate purchase anyway. Perhaps standard DisplayPort & DVI cables will be available to purchase instead of that 3 way mini displayport+usb+magsafe cable

From the info on the Apple website
"What's in the Box
* LED Cinema Display
* AC power cord
* Cleaning cloth
* Printed documentation"​

The LED Cinema Display attaches to your new MacBook, MacBook Pro, or MacBook Air using the new industry-standard Mini DisplayPort connector. Other display connectors have you lining up pins or fumbling with screws. But the Mini DisplayPort connector is easy in, easy out.

Technical Specifications

* Screen size: 24 inches (diagonal viewable)
* Screen type: TFT active-matrix LCD
* Resolution: 1920 by 1200 pixels
* Colors: 16.7 million
* Viewing angle: 178° horizontal; 178° vertical
* Brightness: 330 cd/m2
* Contrast ratio: 1000:1

Connectors

* Mini DisplayPort
* Universal MagSafe
* USB 2.0

Yeah, Apple did the same thing with DVI, by creating mini-DVI. Now they've taken DisplayPort and created mini-DisplayPort.

Keep in mind, their Cinema Displays are designed for use with their new notebooks. Hence the built-in MagSafe (which is an awesome magnetic power connector). But there's nothing that prevents them from working with PCs. You just need an adapter and a PC that outputs DP.

Now I'm wondering exactly how the i-Sight and microphone will need to connect to the notebook. Traditionally the built-in i-Sight on their notebook screens has internally connected to the bus via USB. Will you need to connect a USB cable to the display for the camera and mic to work, or is DisplayPort flexible enough to pass those signals along as well? I'm leaning towards USB at this point, as any DP to DVI adapter would discard audio signals. USB would provide the greatest PC and older Mac compatibility in the end.

Same stand?
Wtf... Worst stand in the history of monitors? Ok, perhaps not but sure not a stretch for what they cost...

What about the other sizes?

Keep in mind, their Cinema Displays are designed for use with their new notebooks.

Designed to use with their new notebooks?
I'd think they were designed to be monitors, especially since apple doesn't have a non-cinema display (except for those with inbuilt at least), guess you cant get a Mac Pro with a monitor then ;)

Back