Apple 24" LED-backlit IPS Cinema Display with DisplayPort ($899)?

Designed to use with their new notebooks?
I'd think they were designed to be monitors, especially since apple doesn't have a non-cinema display (except for those with inbuilt at least), guess you cant get a Mac Pro with a monitor then ;)

The old monitors are still available for the Mac Pro, but I assume they will offer a card with Display Port for the Mac Pro. It isn't difficult to do that.

Still would have been nice to have DVI, but it should be no surprise that Apple went this way. They often break with the past and change standards completely. The don't seem much into extra connectivity either.

Disappointing but expected.

"NEC looks at apple disgusted in what it sees and momentarily brings forth a 60 inch behemoth with Qaud HD TECH an OLED panel and no input lag. All of this for the price of 1 dollar american.

I'm tired going to bed!!

Designed to use with their new notebooks?
I'd think they were designed to be monitors, especially since apple doesn't have a non-cinema display (except for those with inbuilt at least), guess you cant get a Mac Pro with a monitor then ;)

Yes, they are designed for use with their new notebooks. They are also monitors.

These things are not mutually exclusive. :p

There is no practical purpose for Apple to use this "Mini DisplayPort" connector for all the hassle it creates. A normal DisplayPort connector is already about the size of a USB connector, and that's sure small enough to use on their Macbooks.

Still would have been nice to have DVI, but it should be no surprise that Apple went this way. They often break with the past and change standards completely. The don't seem much into extra connectivity either.

If this is a 'direct drive' monitor then I can understand the lack of other connectivity:
http://www.displayport.org/simpler-setup/Direct-Drive.htm

I realised that the latest Pioneer Kuro monitor uses a proprietary version of displayport to connect the display to the media box that has all the HDMI connectors on it. Maybe Apple will do something similar, if they don't I can imagine a company like Gefen stepping in to provide one.

Does LED backlighting matter enough if it isn't selectively lit?

Too bad that this monitor won't work with my 2 year old DVI Macbook Pro. I don't think there will be an adapter out there will there? Displayport and DVI seem to be quite different.

One of the main features is that you don't have to wait for it to warm up like you do a CCFL lit screen.

Is this really an issue for most people?

The main benefits are probably environmental. Less hazardous chemicals and lower power usage.

The main consumer benefit might be lifespan and color consistency during that lifespan, but I am not sure how that works out in practice. I haven't heard much about LED backlights with high usage yet to see what fails.

ccfls are annoying. Color accuracy is crap until they warm up

Also, you get a much more uniform screen with an LED backlight (assuming the panel itself is uniform).

With CCFL backlit displays in this size there is more than one lamp, usually one on each side with nothing in the middle. That's why one side almost always looks different from the other (the two lamps have slightly different color temperatures) and the center of the screen is typically slightly dimmer than the sides. That's the kind of stuff NEC tries (unsuccessfully, IMO) to fix with ColorComp. Not necessary with LEDs which are done in vertical strips across the entire panel.

Besides that there's no flicker (most people don't notice CCFL flicker at 120hz but its there nonetheless) and way longer lifespan and stability. The LEDs will still be nice and bright and about the same color temperature looong after you've ditched this screen for an OLED. ;)

Although these stats are normally meaningless bullshit anyway, the 1000:1 CR does not bode well for those hoping for IPS.

You know the most important thing from this news brings to light is the competition that apple has now created.

My thoughts/hopes as well. I'm waiting for the 30" (like some others here it seems), and even if it turns out it's not for me, hopefully it'll motivate someone else to bring out something worthwhile.

Also, you get a much more uniform screen with an LED backlight (assuming the panel itself is uniform).

LED BL panels suffer from their own kinds of homogeneity issues.
That's what available reviews and users reports say.
Have you tested your LED monitor so that you can say opposite to what reviews say?
In this picture you can see brightness irregularity only. Add color distribution issues that is specific to LED BL.

lednn7.jpg

..the center of the screen is typically slightly dimmer than the sides.
Dimmer?
Who told you that?
Have you tested your CCFL monitor so that you can say opposite to what reviews say?

ccflqs5.jpg

That's the kind of stuff NEC tries (unsuccessfully, IMO) to fix with ColorComp.
Have you tested your NEC monitor with ColorComp so that you can say opposite to what reviews say?

nec2690vu2.jpg

Besides that there's no flicker
This is the only thing that looks interesting to me.
Any links to valuable reading on that matter will be highly appreciated.

This hasn't been officially announced yet, but it seems to be all but confirmed around the internets (AppleInsider, etc). I guess we'll know for sure in another hour or two after the event.

For that price, assuming LED and DisplayPort, the NEC IPS's are going to have drop quite a bit to compete (and it's about time!)

More info soon...

Is it April 1st somewhere?

What about HDCP compliance?

Also, LED panels heat up and are noisy as hell. Apple's Cinema Displays already run hot as hell due to no ventilation ports. Can they keep their reputation for low (no) noise? This is gonna be a real design challenge for them, unless
1) it's not IPS and
2) apple gave up trying to make a quiet display
3) a lot of these are gonna fail and require RMA

LED BL panels suffer from their own kinds of homogeneity issues.

As I said, any LCD panel can suffer from uniformity issues regardless of the backlight.
In general though, LED backlights are far more uniform.

Dimmer?
Who told you that?

My own eyes. The center has been dimmer on the NEC 2690 (latest revision F.4), two 26" DoubleSights, two Westinghouse 24"s, and two Sanyo 24"s I've tested with a Spyder3. I can't vouch for the early model NEC2690's that those reviews used, but I can say reality doesn't hold up to those cherry-picked ones.

Have you tested your NEC monitor with ColorComp so that you can say opposite to what reviews say?

Yes, I did.

Monitor stands aren't that expensive...

Here they are quite expensive, and especially considering what you get - I guess the market for them isn't that big. I haven't looked but I can imagine that most stands won't look so hot with an apple-monitor. Also wouldn't you expect a company like apple to not be the worst option when it comes to ergonomics?

Will this work with windows? lol

Actually, no it won't. It won't work on Mac Pro either for that matter. This display is for some reason only compatible with laptops which utilize a mini displayport connector such as the macbook, macbook air, and macbook pro. What a collosally stupid decision on Apple's part.

Actually, no it won't. It won't work on Mac Pro either for that matter. This display is for some reason only compatible with laptops which utilize a mini displayport connector such as the macbook, macbook air, and macbook pro. What a collosally stupid decision on Apple's part.

While it won't work with DVI, what is to stop it from working with cards that have Display Port output(widely available for PC). Wouldn't you assume mini-DP is just a different connector on DP and you just need a cheap adapter.

While it won't work with DVI, what is to stop it from working with cards that have Display Port output(widely available for PC). Wouldn't you assume mini-DP is just a different connector on DP and you just need a cheap adapter.

The problem is who is going to make that cheap adapter? If Apple are the only ones who are going to use mini DisplayPort on monitors then it probably won't make much business sense for anyone else to make an adapter.

The problem is who is going to make that cheap adapter?

There's always a market for 3rd party Apple accessories. The only real stumbling block might be licensing for the connector, but I don't expect that will stop the cheap Chinese manufacturers that don't care about IP. I do wonder if Apple could prevent 3rd party adaptors anway - DisplayPort is supposed to be a free, open standard.

During the presentation Apple did refer to the miniDP port as "industry standard" but it looks like only time will tell if that becomes the case.

I do expect this and other monitors using DP to be pretty low latency because there doesn't need to be as much circuitry in the monitor, it's a chip-to-chip (as wikipedia calls it) interface. That's also why there's no other digital or analog video inputs on it; it'd be significantly more expensive.

And to answer my own question you indeed need to connect via USB to enable the camera, microphone and speakers even though DP is technically capable of carrying that stuff.

No one has seen the new Mac Pro or iMac updates. I've heard the new iMacs will allow for thid new 24" to be added to it for dual monitor work. Hopefully announced in November.

Bah.....still waiting on the 30incher......But if it's gonna be glossy.....no thanks!!

You won't need a dual-link DVI connector for a 1920x1200 res @60Hz, so the $29.00 single link version should be OK.

They're still taking the piss though by charging extra for it IMHO...

You won't need either and neither will help, those adapters go the wrong way to use with this monitor. They give DVI output to the new Mac notebooks, they don't give DVI input to the monitor.

You won't need either and neither will help, those adapters go the wrong way to use with this monitor. They give DVI output to the new Mac notebooks, they don't give DVI input to the monitor.
I did see that, but I hadn't realised until now that DisplayPort cables are unidirectional. Apologies for the misinformation.

Seems like an own goal by Apple either way (no pun intended)...

I did see that, but I hadn't realised until now that DisplayPort cables are unidirectional. Apologies for the misinformation.

Seems like an own goal by Apple either way (no pun intended)...

Every DVI connector on a graphics card I have seen can output VGA or DVI. But most monitors DVI inputs won't accept VGA (Some will).

From what we have heard so far this is a similar case. The monitor only accepts Displayport and it may even be Direct Display port. In which case you would need a very expensive signal converter to turn DVI into DP.

Simpler to just get a new graphics card with DP which should be identical to the mini-DP except for the connector, there should be $10 adapters for this soon.

I went to the Apple Store and played around with this new display.

Image Quality: Superb. Perfectly uniform backlighting, colors, sharpness. CRT-grade, I'd say. I tested it with some gray gradient patterns and saw zero banding. Backlighting I tested with solid blues and blacks fullscreen - it's all uniform, none of the "brighter lower half" problems that most LCDs have. I'm absolutely certain that it's an IPS panel.

Gloss: Unfortunately, it's highly reflective. Mirror-like. I wonder if any antiglare shields would alleviate this?

$900. Expensive, but not a bad deal for an IPS and LED in one screen. If only they offered a matte finish!

I went to the Apple Store and played around with this new display.

Image Quality: Superb. Perfectly uniform backlighting, colors, sharpness. CRT-grade, I'd say. I tested it with some gray gradient patterns and saw zero banding. Backlighting I tested with solid blues and blacks fullscreen - it's all uniform, none of the "brighter lower half" problems that most LCDs have. I'm absolutely certain that it's an IPS panel.

Gloss: Unfortunately, it's highly reflective. Mirror-like. I wonder if any antiglare shields would alleviate this?

$900. Expensive, but not a bad deal for an IPS and LED in one screen. If only they offered a matte finish!

have you used one of those NEC 2490 monitors? wondering how it compares since it's generally considered the best 24" available

Back