JVC HAR-X700 vs X900

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
DSC01485.jpg

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

I will add to this as I go. Still figuring them out. All opinions are thus a work in progress and I might change them.

11/16/08 Update:

You know, the only really apparent shortcoming is that the 900s just do not extend as far into the upper registry as higher end cans. Other than that, they are just a killer detail can in the mid range until they get a little muddy in the lower mid range and bass. This could be my interconnect and amp too. With better equipment than my modest setup, the sound should be noticeably different.

I will gain some perspective when my Stax get here.

Still a very good sound for the $$.

10/29/08 update:

I just got my cmoy with the 2770 burr brown op amps and using batt power for now. I will get an adapter soon.

Both headphones benefit from an amp. Sound is fuller and more controlled. A definite step up but no more than a good solid bump up in terms of dynamics. Fleshing out the form so to speak.

original post:

Both use the same drivers. Both are pretty comfortable. Well built. Both are extremely good for the $$. Both have long ass cords so going behind your pc is NP.

700 is semi sealed. It is technically not sealed but close to it.

+ Tight sound. Easy to drive. Small and tough enough to be portable if you don't give a f what people think lol. I can jog in them! lol
+Detail is good, bass is decent, speed is good. Can be fine for gaming and movies will be good for dialogue.
- A bit hot at times. Not always but if your room and you are a bit hot it can get sweaty.
-Not the best highs. I feel like they can get a bit bright at times.
-Bass is good and there but not as big as the 900s.
-Sound stage is smaller than the 900s. About twice as small really. This can be a good thing for some musiclike rock but overall the 900 sounds better with its bigger sound.
+ Headband is mesh but still excellent. Comfort is good if the clamp is a little tight.

900 is semi open. It has a metal mesh ring surrounding the exterior of the cup.

+ Great pads. Very leather like and soft. Similar material is used for the headband which is also comfortable.
+ Sound is pretty big. Impressive presentation for a sub $300 headphone much less a $60 one.
+ Detail is wickedly good for any dynamic headphone. Some of the high end headphones are better but this 900 is good at detail. Separation is also excellent as is balance b/w bass mids and highs.
+/- Smooth sounding with slightly rolled off highs.

The 900s have more bass than the a900s and a bigger sound stage thjan the ad900 imo.

I need the cmoy first but I will say that although the detail level and sound/instrument separation is awesome, I do find them lacking in comparison to high end dynamics in terms of absolute sound quality. They are not quite "there", especially compared to Stax or a Senn 650, Akg 701, Beyer 880 etc. They are better than a DT770, but also than a A700 or AD700 b/c the sound stage is as big and the bass way stronger.

You might change your opinions... but the 900 can't be WORSE with an amp, right?

EDIT: Clamp is a bit tight on the 900 too? Is it mitigated by the softness of the pads?

be a brave man- open them up and examine the insides. i think that it might be different drivers based on the sound differences u mention
maybe we can get production #s or something that can tell us if these speakers are made by/with some other brands. foster/audio technica both made in japan correct? foster does a lot of oem stuff

I have been feeling like dog crap lately and do not trust myself atm lol.

The 900s are more comfy. The 900 should improve yes.

I've been following the whole development of the X700 and now X900 since ourfpshero brought them up....... a friend of mine is getting the X700 and I'm pretty sure I'll be pulling the trigger on the X900. Either one is going to be light years ahead of what I've got now :)

Appreciate all of the time and info you guys keep bringing here for us!

I should buy the 900s to compare it to my F1s and 48's. I know the 900s won't better my F1s SS or be as revealing as my 48's. But if comparable to the A900's I might bite.

Ok, I bit on the HARX900, but they are now $59 instead of $57. Also, the HARX700 are now free shipping, but still $35.

The 900s have more bass than the a900s and a bigger sound stage thjan the ad900 imo.

I need the cmoy first but I will say that although the detail level and sound/instrument separation is awesome, I do find them lacking in comparison to high end dynamics in terms of absolute sound quality. They are not quite "there", especially compared to Stax or a Senn 650, Akg 701, Beyer 880 etc. They are better than a DT770, but also than a A700 or AD700 b/c the sound stage is as big and the bass way stronger but the highs are not quite as good and delicate.

Hey spaceman, any recommendations for amps that don't require batteries (Filo) other than the cmoy? Or is the cmoy the best bang for the buck?

Hey spaceman, any recommendations for amps that don't require batteries (Filo) other than the cmoy? Or is the cmoy the best bang for the buck?

You can mod the Fiio to run from USB. BTW: Many CMoy's can be run from a 9v AC adapter. $40 CMoy shipped + $10 AC Adapter is probably your best bet :)

You can mod the Fiio to run from USB. BTW: Many CMoy's can be run from a 9v AC adapter. $40 CMoy shipped + $10 AC Adapter is probably your best bet :)

That reminds me that I need to get an adapter.

No. I really don't have the budget to attempt a mod, only to end up with some kind of accident. Damn... Cmoy is almost as expensive as the headphones. I guess I have to wait another week or two before I can afford it.

Okay, I now I regret getting the 700 over the 900.

Whats weird is that I love how they sound, especially with some flac and some high encoded mp3's straight from my un modded x-fi, but the wonder of how much better I could have with the 900's and a better x-fi +cmoy or ZERO DAC just kills me.

Oh well.

Good stuff space. I wonder if getting a cmoy would help the rx700 any.

lol get a 900 first. I still like my 700 as a portable. The 900 is just bigger sound though. Listening to Gorillaz is pretty trippy sounding. Big sound stage. Lots of little sounds which play high up on the walls. The 900 has more distinct levels of headstage than it has anyright to. It does sound a lot like an AD900 with bass. Not quite as clean but a bigger sound stage.

Which would be better straight from an x-fi (perhaps with modded op-amps) with no amp?

lol get a 900 first. I still like my 700 as a portable. The 900 is just bigger sound though. Listening to Gorillaz is pretty trippy sounding. Big sound stage. Lots of little sounds which play high up on the walls. The 900 has more distinct levels of headstage than it has anyright to. It does sound a lot like an AD900 with bass. Not quite as clean but a bigger sound stage.

Lol, I would, but its just such a waste of money after getting the rx 700's. Damn audio hurts the wallet bad, thats for sure. I'm only a poor college kid, and my major requires so much shit that it eats up all my money... but enough of that.

Maybe if I could sell my rx700's to someone, I could probably get the 900's, but I doubt anyone would want the 700's anymore since the 900's seem a lot better for only $~20 more.

Lol, I would, but its just such a waste of money after getting the rx 700's. Damn audio hurts the wallet bad, thats for sure. I'm only a poor college kid, and my major requires so much shit that it eats up all my money... but enough of that.

Maybe if I could sell my rx700's to someone, I could probably get the 900's, but I doubt anyone would want the 700's anymore since the 900's seem a lot better for only $~20 more.

Sell it to someone who doesn't know audio very well. Then they will be happy with decent quality headphones for relatively cheap, and you will be happy with the money. And they won't know any better.

That's why I just went straight for the 900 :) I had faith in JVC and it paid off in the end.

Could someone post a link to a reputable eBay seller of Cmoy... preferably one with a good amp.

Which would be better straight from an x-fi (perhaps with modded op-amps) with no amp?

I couldn't hear a difference between plugging the 900s into the headphone port of my T-Amp (which I know doesn't have a headphone amp) and the line-out of my X-Fi Titanium.

The item has ended. Also, where would we get an adapter for the Cmoy? Is it that thing thats like a set of batteries that have a line coming out that you plug into an outlet?

I was gonna get a BSG cMoy like yesterday too but he sold out of that batch. He's sold over 1200 now so just wait another day or two and the auction will be back up.

Great thread!

I just ordered the X900s primarily for gaming on my pc. I currently just have onboard sound. Would I be better off getting a soundcard, the BSG cMoy, both or are they not necessary with these cans? I am by no means an audiophile, I just want cost effective sound quality with decent surround for gaming.

This is all so confusing to me :\

Great thread!

I just ordered the X900s primarily for gaming on my pc. I currently just have onboard sound. Would I be better off getting a soundcard, the BSG cMoy, both or are they not necessary with these cans? I am by no means an audiophile, I just want cost effective sound quality with decent surround for gaming.

This is all so confusing to me :\

It isn't mandatory for all means, but an amp is like using higher grade fuel for high end cars, it will add a little more punch to the sound. For me, it is worth the extra $40-50. Soundcard is not a big deal if you're pleased with the current sound as-is.

I will edit the original post for this but the 900 works just fine out of an x-fi. The amp just gives it an extra kick.

Ah, so the amp didn't do much for you? Also what op-amp do you have? OPA2227?

i'm thinking about adding 100-200 ohms of resistance to these phones, it worked in improving the KSC-35 back in the day...

That xmod uses crazy cpu cycles. Get a real x-fi if possible.

I do not have an amp yet but the 900 sounds great on my x-fi. Tomorrow or THurs I will have the amp.

comfort alone is good enough reason to go 900 over 700 for me. larger sound stage is awesome. so, i just orderded the 900s and buy.com told me to refuse shipment on the 700s for full refund. coo & thanks for these threads!!

Ok, holy shit, I take back any reservations I had about my 700s.

I just finished building my Millet starving student hybrid tube amp, and this is hands down the most amazing sound I have ever experienced in my life. One word, EARGASM.
I've listened to the Metallica black album like a 100 times, but it was all new with this setup, just awesome. :eek:

If the 900s can outdo the 700s then I'm ordering a pair for sure, these cans rock hard. :D

Millet001.jpg

You'll have to pardon my ignorance . . . would this be all I need for a decent upgrade from my crappy onboard sound? http://cgi.ebay.ca/Creative-Sound-B...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Am I better off getting an internal card? Again, I don't need the best sound, but a good cost effective upgrade would be nice.

If it's within your budget, I couldn't recommend the asus xonar u1 enough. It does have a built in head amp. Only real downside is that it only has 1 input and 1 output. You can find it on ebay for around $70 or so.

I am going to ask a totally newb question. How do you use these with a standard video card. Mine I'll admit is at least 3 years old so I plugged my old head phones into a simple mic and headphone jack.Is there an adapter I need?

Where did you buy ur HARX900?

Buy.com

I am going to ask a totally newb question. How do you use these with a standard video card. Mine I'll admit is at least 3 years old so I plugged my old head phones into a simple mic and headphone jack.Is there an adapter I need?

Wait... what? Is this a trick question? Like how do you use a monitor with a sound card?

Buy.com

Wait... what? Is this a trick question? Like how do you use a monitor with a sound card?

No i think he means, how you plug headphones into a video card, you dont, you plug it into a sound card, all comps should have integrated ones, but you can buy a seperate, better soundcard if you so choose

Just got the 900's. I sure hope burn-in helps. Out of the box they sound very "fuzzy" and muffled. To be fair, I'm testing this on the laptop onboard, so we'll see.

No i think he means, how you plug headphones into a video card, you dont, you plug it into a sound card, all comps should have integrated ones, but you can buy a seperate, better soundcard if you so choose

Doh!!! I'm a big dummy!!! I realize i just plug it into the headphone jack on the sound card. Thanks guys!!!

Back