JVC HAR-X700 vs X900

Just got the 900's. I sure hope burn-in helps. Out of the box they sound very "fuzzy" and muffled. To be fair, I'm testing this on the laptop onboard, so we'll see.

Yes, it will. There's been a few people now who have been testing it. They all say (as in 10/10 peoples) that burn in helps a ton. A ton meaning the quality just keeps climbing and climbing.

No i think he means, how you plug headphones into a video card, you dont, you plug it into a sound card, all comps should have integrated ones, but you can buy a seperate, better soundcard if you so choose

But... wha... huh...??? How does that even work? Hahaha!

Glad he figured it out though.

Just got the 900's. I sure hope burn-in helps. Out of the box they sound very "fuzzy" and muffled. To be fair, I'm testing this on the laptop onboard, so we'll see.

Don't worry about it. They all suck out of the box. Hendrix is swooping around in mine right now.

Don't worry about it. They all suck out of the box. Hendrix is swooping around in mine right now.
Is break in the same for all 900s? Is there an avg amt of hours before they sound great?

Are the 700s better/worse in this regard?

The 900s sounded worse at first than the 700s. Took longer to break in too. It took about 72 hrs to start sounding right.

I just got my cmoy with the 2770 burr brown op amps and using batt power for now. I will get an adapter soon.

Both headphones benefit from an amp. Sound is fuller and more controlled. A definite step up but no more than a good solid bump up in terms of dynamics. Fleshing out the form so to speak.

Updated this in first post.

I might have to get one of those cmoys then. I'll probably wait for the fiio e5 though. Seems like its going to have great improvements over the e3 (built in battery, volume control) and should be cheap. I really like the $10 e3 with my rx700

My little cmoy got some silver treatment lol.

The biggest improvement is that the 900 has become easier to listen too. Not as fatiguing? Don't know. Maybe just sounds really nice. Crazy instrument separation. It is fun just listening to the various spots sounds emenate from within the cups.

I'm getting a Cmoy with a 2227 op amp. Hopefully it's up to par. Adapter run too. :D

Was going to jump on the bandwagon of RX-900's, but Buy.com jumped the price to $99.95 :(

Guess I'll "settle" for some 700's.....

$100!

Damn. Oh well, good thing is that they are worth that. Sucks. You can buy mine for only $85! lol

Supposedly Buy.com will have them back in stock at $61. But not sure when.

It's only $100 because it's from a 3rd party. Also, it looks like buy.com sold out of their own stock of the 900's. That's why they're selling someone else's.

Supposedly Buy.com will have them back in stock at $61. But not sure when.

I'd hold off on my order of 700's for that price..... hopefully they'll have them sooner than later.

also interested in where you can get them for under 60. i dont trust the sites on the google search.

Well, with Buy.com, when I bought them, they were listed as $59. Then I used their 5% off coupon and they ended up being about $56. Search for the coupon in these forums. It's around.

well, i just got my 900s about an hour ago and they are super uncomfortable

the padding isn't deep enough to keep the actual phones off my ears, so the hard part of the driver area (whatever that part is called) presses against my ears. it's like the padding isn't even there. and my ears don't stick out at all, so i don't know what's up.

plus, they wobble all over my head even with minor head movements. it's like they are too heavy or not balanced for a a snug fit.

they sound better than my old cans for sure, but i won't be wearing these... way too uncomfortable. i actually can't believe how awful they are... bummer. very disappointed

the padding isn't deep enough to keep the actual phones off my ears, so the hard part of the driver area (whatever that part is called) presses against my ears. it's like the padding isn't even there. and my ears don't stick out at all, so i don't know what's up.

plus, they wobble all over my head even with minor head movements. it's like they are too heavy or not balanced for a a snug fit.

they sound better than my old cans for sure, but i won't be wearing these... way too uncomfortable. i actually can't believe how awful they are... bummer. very disappointed

Stretching out the headband with a few books might help. Don't over-do it or else it'll be too loose, but if you make the stack of books around the size of your head or slightly larger it should get more comfortable.

Um. You know that the headband is adjustable right? You can move it up and down? Two clicky thingys on both sides of the headband?

The headphone itself is pretty comfortable so idk what is up. Maybe you are just leftheaded?

Btw. Buy.com just sent me a free pair of 900s. I guess they read the forums lol.

Please tell me that's not true... I arranged to get myself a pair based mostly on the fact that they were (supposedly) comfortable :(

Stretching out the headband with a few books might help. Don't over-do it or else it'll be too loose, but if you make the stack of books around the size of your head or slightly larger it should get more comfortable.
good idea. that should help the pressure part.. thanks. the other problem is the actual contact with the tops of my ears. i noticed the padding was compressed pretty bad right out of packaging.. maybe it will expand a bit.. idk.

hopefully they'll get more comfortable. thanks again

Please tell me that's not true... I arranged to get myself a pair based mostly on the fact that they were (supposedly) comfortable :(

definitely in my case, but i can't say how they will feel for you. i do have a big head, so maybe that's part of the reason?

definitely in my case, but i can't say how they will feel for you. i do have a big head, so maybe that's part of the reason?

Yeah, for me, right out of the box, they were a tad tight on my head. But I just kept using it and stretching it out (just grab the two sides and stretch them wide) regularly and they loosen up. I can now wear them comfortably and securely on my head.

Also, if your pads are a bit flat, you can fatten them up by slipping something cushion (cotton or something?) into the empty space between the pads and the drivers. You can get to it by slipping your fingers from the inside.

My pads are cushy as all get out. Please take a pic if you can. Something has to be wrong. I have a 7 3/4 head. Pretty damn big. No problems at all. Did you push the headband all the way up?

leftheaded or spaceman wanna sell me them?

Might. Not soon though. Looking to buy some Stax headspeakers again. Plus, I want to make sure Buy.com did not make a mistake sending me these. Don't want to rip them off.

How much cooler (temperature wise) are the RX900's? I'm really enjoying my RX700's, but am running into some heat issues. Guess I have a hot head.

I think it's not the fact that the cushions aren't comfortable, per se. It's that the cushions ring around my ears and put enough pressure on certain pressure points along certain points of my jaw that it gets rather um... distracting. It's not painful or anything, but it's like if someone kept a knuckle pressured on your batch of nerves around your thighs (that spot that gives a "charlie horse") constantly. I find that wearing the headphones over a hood is perfect for relieving this pressure and it gives the sound more air as long as the hood is relatively thin. My hooded sweater has just the right thickness for this situation, fortunately.

Oh and I took the suggestion of that guy who said to just kind of bend the headband out. That definitely helps, but not completely.

Oh and I took the suggestion of that guy who said to just kind of bend the headband out. That definitely helps, but not completely.

Yay! Glad it sort of worked. :p

knaih: If it is annoying enough that you want to get new headphones, I suggest getting a pair that is open or uses a material for the cups that isn't pleather. Did anyone try the DT770 pads? Were they better at reducing the earmuff effect?

Yeah, I think my next pair of headphones is going to be the AD700. :D

Back