ASUS P6T Deluxe @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
ASUS P6T Deluxe - There’s a new kid on the block, and he’s out for blood. The ASUS P6T Deluxe comes out of the gate swinging, sporting the newly release Intel X58 chipset and setting new performance standards across the board.

I think we are lucky to have such a robust and stable motherboard this early on in the Core i7 game. The ASUS P6T Deluxe has shown up at a couple of retailers between $313 and $336 in North America, but keep in mind the Intel X58 chipset nor the Intel Core i7 processors have officially launched yet. That will come later in November. The ASUS P6T Deluxe proved to be a joy to work with and was one of the easier overclocking experiences I have ever had. There is not much more to say beyond the P6T is stable, fast, and feature rich. Oh yeah, did we mention being above to run 12GB of RAM easily at DDR3-1600?

Board is definitely on my short list, funny how you can actually buy this board now.

Good revew. Question though: Why would we need that much RAM anyways? I mean, 12GB of memory for what exactly?

12g is not enough for some Apps. CS4 with Nikon D300/D700 Camera and it will have to swap to disk. With more memory that will happen less. Less = Faster.

I hope they can get 16g board.

DM

Nice board, but damn those are some high temps. Yeah. I think I'm still happy with my C2D for now. Its nice that it OCs so easy, but those temps are just not something I wan't to deal with.

Hehe Kyle you so sexy... Err...

Nice review, and awesome video! After seeing the video, I am definitely gonna wait until i7 launches to build my new rig. I only hope that it will give me the same longevity that my X2 gave me.:)

Wow that chip certainly gets toasty, whats the tjmax of the chip?

Though I posed this question in another thread, this question still lingers and is relevant to post here, especially with multiple sources stating that the 920 will be "the over clockers chip":

Is there any benefit to a 965 over a 920? From what I can tell the difference with the 965 is only an unlocked multiplier, quick path speed increase from 4800 MT/s to 6400 MT/s, and a different memory controller rating from 1066 on the 920/940 to 1333 on the 965.

I have yet to see anyone point out any kind of performance related difference between these options.

Are we to assume that on systems with all the same specs, a 920 overclocked to 3.2ghz will be completely identical in terms of performance with a 965 running at 3.2ghz?

omg!

did you see the memory bandwidth?!?!?
the last bastion of AMD supremacy has fallen, they need to release a new architecture soon before they're pushed out of the PC market

only 12GB total (2GB x 6 slots)... why not 24GB, this board costs 300 dollars... sad.. my friend's 60$ AMD 690G board supports 16GB of ram

only 12GB total (2GB x 6 slots)... why not 24GB, this board costs 300 dollars... sad.. my friend's 60$ AMD 690G board supports 16GB of ram

Yeah, 12GB doesn't really seem like a lot to me. It's the easy path. 24GB would be more appropriate. Not that you need it, but 3 years from now it might be usable. And some people will still be using this board in 3 years.

if i had 16 gb support on my board.. i would get 4GB sticks, and make a ram drive and install my games on it

Typo fixed. Thanks for the extra eyes. - Kyle

also the gaming section has convinced me to purchase an i7 system. as soon as a $200~ board comes out.

Wow-E that thing runs super hot. Looks like I will finally be forced to start using water cooling. I would love to see the temps that thing gets on air with the intel cooler and with an ultra120.

Send it right over and I will test it.

Why does the board not support 24GB? I mean, if they come out with a 4GB DDR3 module, won't they work in the motherboard? Sorry this is a noob question, but I was just wondering what limits this.

Why does the board not support 24GB? I mean, if they come out with a 4GB DDR3 module, won't they work in the motherboard? Sorry this is a noob question, but I was just wondering what limits this.

i will work, but you can only fill 3 slots

This would be my next board if the PCI-Express slots were configured in a way to properly allow me to use 3 Geforce GTX 280 cards in 3-Way SLI.

Excellent review, as always. Any word on any MicroATX boards with i7 support?... /me subscribed

Excellent review, as always. Any word on any MicroATX boards with i7 support?... /me subscribed

Well we don't typically do much with M-ATX boards at all here. I see them occasionally but in three years of working for the [H] I've never reviewed an M-ATX motherboard myself.

Well we don't typically do much with M-ATX boards at all here. I see them occasionally but in three years of working for the [H] I've never reviewed an M-ATX motherboard myself.
Granted. I was only wondering if you guys heard of any manufacturer getting ready to release one soon. /me itching to get my clammy paws on 920 + MicroATX board and stuff it into my SFF box. ;)

Granted. I was only wondering if you guys heard of any manufacturer getting ready to release one soon. /me itching to get my clammy paws on 920 + MicroATX board and stuff it into my SFF box. ;)

That's why I went with an HTPC case that would allow the use of full sized ATX motherboards. I didn't want to have to wait for good Intel processor compatible M-ATX choices.

Wow-E that thing runs super hot. Looks like I will finally be forced to start using water cooling. I would love to see the temps that thing gets on air with the intel cooler and with an ultra120.

Hot is relative....

End of Article Conclusion:

That is OCed. 3.2 is not stock for the 920.

OCed 920 referred to at the end in my section. Stock for that 920 CPU is 2.66GHz Core, 1066 RAM. Morry used a 965EE, stock at 3.2-1600. We do not have enough processors to go around currently so we were trading off equipment. RTFA! ;) - Kyle

The i7 certainly looks to be quite the performer. I'm still holding out pulling the trigger until more cooling choices are available and the platform matures a bit more.

Thanks for the excellent review! :)

Did you check temp readings at stock at all? Be interesting to see what the difference between stock and the OCed temps are.

As of right now I am finishing off a temperature comparison for another video. Water vs. Air vs. Stock Air.

12g is not enough for some Apps. CS4 with Nikon D300/D700 Camera and it will have to swap to disk. With more memory that will happen less. Less = Faster.

I hope they can get 16g board.

DM

You're kidding right? Is that what the Mac zealots told you?

wow those load temps are insane...75-85 degrees on water! wtf? prescott 2 anyone? at least the performance is there unlike the 1st intel space heater. can't wait for the update with high end air vs water vs stock cooling.

anyway thanks for the review. i keep telling myself i don't need an i7 setup, i don't need an i7 setup....but then you go and have an easy time with the oc and all...my wallet is going to hate me :(

You mentioned that the board didn't like qpi/imc voltages over 1.40v. I'm guessing the Rampage 2 Extreme solves this problem. Have you tried higher qpi/imc voltages on that board yet?

wow those load temps are insane...75-85 degrees on water! wtf? prescott 2 anyone? at least the performance is there unlike the 1st intel space heater. can't wait for the update with high end air vs water vs stock cooling.

anyway thanks for the review. i keep telling myself i don't need an i7 setup, i don't need an i7 setup....but then you go and have an easy time with the oc and all...my wallet is going to hate me :(

What are considered normal operating temps for these i7 CPU's?

hehe I was gonna point that out too (86 USB Ports) but in a nice way so as to not feel the Wrath of Kyle lmao!

Wow... now it got me thinking what could I do with 86 USB ports... thats a whole lot of USB pole dancers (strippers), hamster wheels, and humping dog thumb drives!

Back