E8400: Stuck sensor, or poor thermal interface?

Before my BIOS flash failure yesterday, I installed an E8400 (E0) in my Abit IP35 Pro. I was getting a constant CPU temperature of 103C in the BIOS, 28 (idle) to 37 (load) on core 1, and constant 42 on core 2.

Does it sound like the chip has a stuck sensor, or did I not attach the cooler properly? If the former, is it worth RMA'ing the chip over?

I bought my e3110 Xeon, which is the server variant of the e8400, when they launched, and within a few days I had a stuck sensor. I RMA'd it and recieved another chip. It's been fine for 6 months now.

Also, maybe consider updating your BIOS. I'm not convinced stuck sensors at simply a fault of the CPU.

My E8400 also had a stuck sensor, on core would read 38, the other 50. Multiple cooling solutions made no difference, however my E8500 does not have this issue.

I am surprised Intel allowed a RMA just for that.

Also, maybe consider updating your BIOS. I'm not convinced stuck sensors at simply a fault of the CPU.

I tried that, but sadly, it froze when rewriting the flash. Next time, I shouldn't flash my BIOS when my system is verifying the integrity of my RAID-1 array.

But I'm going to restore to the new BIOS using BootBlock, once I get a floppy drive. I'll post my findings re: the sensors.

Back