Best 30" Display? Opinions Please

theseeker

2[H]4U
I am currently using a Dell 2405 and I have decided to move up to a 30" display. This will be mainly used for gaming. TIA

If it is just for PC gaming, the Dell 3007WFP-HC, Apple 30", and HP 3065 are good choices. The 2405 is one of the worst LCDs I've used, but I like my new (refurbished) Dell 3007-HC.

If it is just for PC gaming, the Dell 3007WFP-HC, Apple 30", and HP 3065 are good choices. The 2405 is one of the worst LCDs I've used, but I like my new (refurbished) Dell 3007-HC.

I have heard many people say the 2405 is a stinker. I bought mine right after they were released and it has been perfect from day one. My wife has the big Apple and it really shines! Many thanks for your input.

I JUST hooked up my new Samsung 305T a few hours ago and have been gaming with it heavily. This thing is freaking BEAUTIFUL. Everyone bashes it for inoput lag, but I cannot even really tell at all. I notice a very, very slight difference from my 245BW, but I am thrilled with it. I also notice a very slight bit more ghosting than my TN 245BW, but I wasexpecting that.

VERY happy with my purchase. Whatever you decide, make sure it's a 30. 2560x1600 is just amazing.

The 2405 has a lot of input lag (move the mouse, the cursor moves 4 frames later)
Dark gray shades disappear when looking straight on. (each eye sees a different brightness)

The 2005,2007,and 3007 monitors only have ~1 frame of lag, and are fairly consistent at any viewing angle.

The 2405 has a lot of input lag (move the mouse, the cursor moves 4 frames later)
Dark gray shades disappear when looking straight on. (each eye sees a different brightness)

The 2005,2007,and 3007 monitors only have ~1 frame of lag, and are fairly consistent at any viewing angle.

I guess that I am lucky, for what ever reason, mine does not suffer from the lag. Go figure?
This is the only Dell product that I have had no issues with.

I guess that I am lucky, for what ever reason, mine does not suffer from the lag. Go figure?
This is the only Dell product that I have had no issues with.
Most likely you just don't notice the lag, as it doesn't vary from panel to panel. 4 frames is still just 1/15 of a second.

I JUST hooked up my new Samsung 305T a few hours ago and have been gaming with it heavily. This thing is freaking BEAUTIFUL. Everyone bashes it for inoput lag, but I cannot even really tell at all. I notice a very, very slight difference from my 245BW, but I am thrilled with it. I also notice a very slight bit more ghosting than my TN 245BW, but I wasexpecting that.

VERY happy with my purchase. Whatever you decide, make sure it's a 30. 2560x1600 is just amazing.

On this forum I've seen 80% of the time people bashing Samsung for it's lag yet I fail to see it. I have yet to receive one monitor with a dead pixel or bleeding through the edges like crazy. I'm in heaven with my T260HD, I say get the 305T

I've read some of it too though I like Samsung instead of others, maybe someone got a defect Samsung and complains about it, this stuff happens with several other brands too
wink.gif

I'd have to say, go with the HP LP3065c or the Dell 3007WFP-HC (or non-HC if you can find one). I originally got a Samsung 305t and I ended up getting rid of it after 2 weeks because of the input lag, I guess I'm just sensitive to it.
As for the LP3065, I love it. It has very little input lag (on my monitor it's ~5-7ms avg vs FW900), awesome picture, great color accuracy after calibration and I never thought I would use the USB hub as much as I do.

On this forum I've seen 80% of the time people bashing Samsung for it's lag yet I fail to see it. I have yet to receive one monitor with a dead pixel or bleeding through the edges like crazy. I'm in heaven with my T260HD, I say get the 305T

I'm loving this 305T more and more. Cannot detect the input lag, NO dead pixels and very uniform backlighting, not to mention it is known that the 305T comes pre-calibrated out of the box. Just a beautiful, stunning monitor. There may be better 30"ers out there, but I'm sticking with this one.

My dell refurb 3007WFP-HC is perfect in games. My only complaint is the anti glare coating is pretty annoying when the screen is white. Also i have one stuck pixel but its so small i struggle to find it even when im looking for it.

what's with the 30" craze all of a sudden?

For me, I just got a wild hair and had some extra $$. I had always thought that a 30 would have tons of ghosting and input lag. I took a gamble and I was fully expecting to return the monitor because of my misconceptions. I was very pleasantly surprised. And hopefully the GTX290 will be coming out soon...

Brahmzy:

From my experience, the 305t does not come properly calibrated out of the box.
It was dark and colors looked a little too strong. You should look into a separate calibrator.

Did you experience this yourself or you just read the reviews? It's pointless if your eyes can't detect the lag.

Did you experience this yourself or you just read the reviews? It's pointless if your eyes can't detect the lag.
I've owned all the monitors in that post. I did notice the input lag on the 2405

The Dell 3008 is intriguing as well. Decisions....decisions!

The only thing that the 3008 has over the 3007 is connectivity(IMO). For me, that is only needed for game consoles, as the 3007 can't connect to any of them. The 3008 has high input lag, but that doesn't seem to bother you anyway.

That's not the only difference.
3008 uses a newer and more expensive Q5 panel. 3007 is equipped with Q3.

That's not the only difference.
3008 uses a newer and more expensive Q5 panel. 3007 is equipped with Q3.

but is it better? i.e. better viewing angles, colors, quality, lag, back light bleeding, etc.

theseeker.. i have used the Apple cinema 30"... the Dell 3007wfp-hc and now im stuck with the Samsung 305T Plus.... since using the samsung 305t for many months now... it is better than my former apple cinema in many ways... even my friend that bought my apple cinema came over.. and after seeing my 305T said he likes my monitor better...

There are many reasons... the blacks on the 305T are very deep .. adding quality to the picture overall... yes there is that "black crush" or "gamma shift" because 305T uses a S-PVA panel.. but it just seems like there is more quality in the pictures.. Other reason is that the response time for the 305T is pretty good... backlight uniformity is excellent very even all around... the gamut on this 305T+ is 102% gamut so the colors will look vivid for gaming.. there isnt that "snowy or grainy effect" on the lcd that s-ips panels have.. also the whites on the 305T+ are pretty white.. at the proper temperature.. the whites on teh dell 3007wfp-hc are kinda reddish...yes there is a very very slight input lag.. but hey 30ms is what! .03 seconds?? lol... to me it was noticeable a bit.. but when i tired the apple cinema again it felt the same... if its just gaming not photoeditting.. and if the type of games you play are MMORPS or RTS.. get the 305T+... you wont be dissapointed man...

The only thing that the 3008 has over the 3007 is connectivity(IMO). For me, that is only needed for game consoles, as the 3007 can't connect to any of them. The 3008 has high input lag, but that doesn't seem to bother you anyway.

The input lag is the reason I prefer the Dell 3007WFP of the 3007WFP-HC. Right now I'm using just a plain old Dell 3007-WFP and its been great for me. I use mine for general work tasks and of course, playing games.

but is it better? i.e. better viewing angles, colors, quality, lag, back light bleeding, etc.

They all share the great benefits of S-IPS. I think Q3 will soon be or is no longer manufactured.
The only difference between the 2 is Q5 has higher gamut.
Q3 looks too red out of the box and Q5 looks more natural, but a little greenish.

I'm using 2 x 30" Samsung 305T+, I'm very happy.

Although my screen on the right seems to radiate more heat than the main 1 that I use. And on rare occasion, I can hear cracking sound for a sec. or 2. But absolutely no delay of any kind.

yes there is that "black crush" or "gamma shift" because 305T uses a S-PVA panel.. but it just seems like there is more quality in the pictures..

I just can't stand the Gamma shift. I don't like using the PSP or iPod touch because of the gamma shift. Maybe not all VA's are that bad, but there isn't really any way for me to try any others.

Thanks for all of the input! Obviously there is no clear cut winner. I will have to check them out in person, if I can find a dark room. My PC room is very dark and cool.

They all share the great benefits of S-IPS. I think Q3 will soon be or is no longer manufactured.
The only difference between the 2 is Q5 has higher gamut.
Q3 looks too red out of the box and Q5 looks more natural, but a little greenish.

thanks! so is the 3007 HC the Q5 panel as well?

thanks! so is the 3007 HC the Q5 panel as well?

Dell 3007wfp-hc and HP LP3065 = Q3
Dell 3008wfp = Q5.

HP no longer manufactures the LP3065. They are likely going to release a model with Q5 panel soon.

I'm a big fan of the 3007wfp-hc. picked one up a few months ago and have been loving it since.

I am tempted to go with the Dell 3008 due to my great experience with my 2405. I did check out the Samsung today and it is sweet. Decisions, decisions!

Im in the same boat too *waves to Renner Technology* and what I was wondering was when the dell 3009 comes out?

I expect it to also have input lag associated with the multiple inputs...perhaps they will release two separate versions, but probably not. Anyway, any clues as to how soon it will be released?

Does anyone know when the 3008 was released?

Im in the same boat too *waves to Renner Technology* and what I was wondering was when the dell 3009 comes out?

I expect it to also have input lag associated with the multiple inputs...perhaps they will release two separate versions, but probably not. Anyway, any clues as to how soon it will be released?

Does anyone know when the 3008 was released?

Its been out now for over a year now, but when they first came out around this time last year they were hard to find.

Back