Best 30" Display? Opinions Please

If you only need to use the monitor on a computer, grab yourself a 3007WFP-HC or a 3007WFP if you can find one and call it a day. Fantastic monitors all around. Not perfect, but damned nice.

Dell 3007WFP / HP LP3065 / Dell 3007WFP-HC / SAMSUNG 305T+ / LG W3000 = If you are just looking for a decent 30'' monitor for your pc.

Dell 3008WFP / GATEWAY XHD3000 = For pc use with extended multimedia interfaces for video game consoles.

i cannot express how happy I am with my 305T. After 4 or 5 days of ownership, I cannot imagine not having it. I am just as effective if not more effective in all my games now with it as I was with my 24"er.

i cannot express how happy I am with my 305T. After 4 or 5 days of ownership, I cannot imagine not having it. I am just as effective if not more effective in all my games now with it as I was with my 24"er.

I should have taken a poll! The 305T has garnered a great deal of support.

I should have taken a poll! The 305T has garnered a great deal of support.

Honestly I do not see why so many fuss about input lag on this thing. Whether desktop usage, surfing, gaming etc, it's friggin' fast. I've got a G9 laser mouse set super sensitive on a formica-ish glide-pad and I'm a very fast mouse navigator and I haven't noticed a dang thing different. Obviously I noticed some difference in FPS decrease in Crysis (who cares, I've about had it with that game engine) but everything else is in order. Very happy with this thing. No dead pixels, even backlight, great picture, razor sharp text. Not one single regret, other than deciding where to find a home for my 245BW.

His old monitor was a TN.

While the lag is definitely there, I think you could be overestimating the input lag of 305t just because you think it is based on s-pva.
Because input lag can vary from person to person, there is no guarantee that you would feel lag on 305t. You may go on the same boat as Brahmzy. This could be your problem too. You don't know until you have already tried this monitor and found it to be laggy.

Way too many people are obsessed with input lag. More than they should be worried. It is going take forever to find a decent monitor. May be never.
Just buy a monitor that's got decent reviews. The chance is you will like it. If you don't like it, then you can return it and move on. Most stores offer a full refund.

That you don't see the inputlag is your problem.

That you don't see the inputlag is your problem.

It's actually not my problem at all. It sounds like everybody elses problem, to be honest.

The 305T passed my test and I'm pretty anal when it comes to any type of slowness (rig in sig.)

That said, there is FAR too much emphasis put on input lag. On these forums it has shyed me away from a 30 incher for close to a year. I should have bought this monitor 10 months ago. To all on the fnece. Jusy make sure you have a good return policy, if you're worried about it, and just buy one. If you can actually feel any lag, just return the thing. Simple enough.

It's actually not my problem at all. It sounds like everybody elses problem, to be honest.

The 305T passed my test and I'm pretty anal when it comes to any type of slowness (rig in sig.)

That said, there is FAR too much emphasis put on input lag. On these forums it has shyed me away from a 30 incher for close to a year. I should have bought this monitor 10 months ago. To all on the fnece. Jusy make sure you have a good return policy, if you're worried about it, and just buy one. If you can actually feel any lag, just return the thing. Simple enough.
QFT. Input lag is highly subjective. Some see it, some don't. I've been using LCDs (laptop and desktop) exclusively since 2004 and have never noticed input lag. I've seen ghosting, but that's not the same thing as lag. I fully acknowledge that 4+ years of gaming on LCDs may have de-sensitized my eyes to lag. Whatever the reason, I don't see lag and no one is going to convince me it's there when my own eyes tell me it's not.

As for the best 30" LCD, my vote is for Gateway's XHD3000, especially since the drastic price cut from $1599 to $1099. I grabbed one at the lower price and never looked back. It uses the same panel as the 305T/T+ and has all those great inputs. I use my Gateway as a PC/gaming monitor and HDTV in my home office. I love it.

Gateway could be using an A4 panel which is used on Dell 3007WFP. Noone seem to know exactly which panel was used. One thing for sure, it is A4 or s-pva.
After having the chance to use both monitors, I think it is A4, and It was really cheap at the time XHD3000 came out because LG was getting rid of it. A complete monitor with an A4 panel was sold for around $400, IIRC.
I also read a review comparing these 2 monitors but can't find it anymore on google.

Gateway could be using an A4 panel which is used on Dell 3007WFP. Noone seem to know exactly which panel was used. One thing for sure, it is A4 or s-pva.
After having the chance to use both monitors, I think it is A4, and It was really cheap at the time XHD3000 came out because LG was getting rid of it. A complete monitor with an A4 panel was sold for around $400, IIRC.
I also read a review comparing these 2 monitors but can't find it anymore on google.
The Gateway's panel is S-PVA, as is the Samsung 305T.

I had the 2405FPW (Great monitor btw) and upgraded to the 3007WFP-HC. I definitely recommend the upgrade.

His old monitor was a TN.

While the lag is definitely there, I think you could be overestimating the input lag of 305t just because you think it is based on s-pva.
Because input lag can vary from person to person, there is no guarantee that you would feel lag on 305t. You may go on the same boat as Brahmzy. This could be your problem too. You don't know until you have already tried this monitor and found it to be laggy.

Way too many people are obsessed with input lag. More than they should be worried. It is going take forever to find a decent monitor. May be never.
Just buy a monitor that's got decent reviews. The chance is you will like it. If you don't like it, then you can return it and move on. Most stores offer a full refund.

Well, the 305T IS based on a S-PVA, right? That not just what I think, it's the hard truth.

Inputlag varies from person to person? :confused: I guess you mean that some see it and some don't see it?

There is definitely a guarantee that I would see it. I've had a laggy monitor and I'm glad I got rid of it. I've last a couple hundred euros on it and I regret that I didn't investigate more before I bought the darned thing. (It was on my shortlist and then one showed up on my favorite webshop with once red subpixel and a huge pricecut.) At first I didn't get it completely and thought it was just "getting used to your first TFT" or the lower refreshrate compared to CRT. But sometime later it became clear to me that the stupid thing was lagging like (...). I searched a lot and found that it was called 'inputlag'.

But whether you see it or not: you still have a disadvantage in gaming, especially in multiplayer. And that's simply a FACT.

I never played any games on 305t so I can't really comment on its gaming performance.
I do believe input lag is subjective. Some see it and some don't. At least Brahmzy didn't and he previously had a TN based monitor which has an excellent response time.
So unless you have tried this monitor, otherwise there is no guarantee you would.

Well, the 305T IS based on a S-PVA, right? That not just what I think, it's the hard truth.

Inputlag varies from person to person? :confused: I guess you mean that some see it and some don't see it?

There is definitely a guarantee that I would see it. I've had a laggy monitor and I'm glad I got rid of it. I've last a couple hundred euros on it and I regret that I didn't investigate more before I bought the darned thing. (It was on my shortlist and then one showed up on my favorite webshop with once red subpixel and a huge pricecut.) At first I didn't get it completely and thought it was just "getting used to your first TFT" or the lower refreshrate compared to CRT. But sometime later it became clear to me that the stupid thing was lagging like (...). I searched a lot and found that it was called 'inputlag'.

But whether you see it or not: you still have a disadvantage in gaming, especially in multiplayer. And that's simply a FACT.

You don't have to try the 305T. If you have a reference lag-monitor you can comment on the 305T lag too.

Someone should really make a poll on this so we can see some more statistical results.

If it is just for PC gaming, the Dell 3007WFP-HC, Apple 30", and HP 3065 are good choices. The 2405 is one of the worst LCDs I've used, but I like my new (refurbished) Dell 3007-HC.

This will more then likely be my route though in late Q1or early Q2 2009 unless something changes in the meantime(doubtful)...

You don't have to try the 305T. If you have a reference lag-monitor you can comment on the 305T lag too.

That's what I thought until I actually tried a bunch of monitors myself. I have a 2709w which some people say has way too much lag, but guess what? I do not feel lag compared to the 2007wfp S-IPS I have right next to it.
What you said is not wrong. It is common sense, but I really think you have to try a monitor before you can judge it because it may be just perfect for you regardless of data.
While I do follow and trust reviews from reputable websites, I try not to be overwhelmed by every individual result because they tend to differ in person in most cases.

I have a HP LP3065 and I am very pleased with it. Colors are excellent. Paid about $680 for it (took advantage of Live cashback when it was $250). Bought a refurbished one from Ebay. No dead pixels at all and is great next to a Dell 2007FP.

theseeker.. i have used the Apple cinema 30"... the Dell 3007wfp-hc and now im stuck with the Samsung 305T Plus.... since using the samsung 305t for many months now... it is better than my former apple cinema in many ways... even my friend that bought my apple cinema came over.. and after seeing my 305T said he likes my monitor better...

There are many reasons... the blacks on the 305T are very deep .. adding quality to the picture overall... yes there is that "black crush" or "gamma shift" because 305T uses a S-PVA panel.. but it just seems like there is more quality in the pictures.. Other reason is that the response time for the 305T is pretty good... backlight uniformity is excellent very even all around... the gamut on this 305T+ is 102% gamut so the colors will look vivid for gaming.. there isnt that "snowy or grainy effect" on the lcd that s-ips panels have.. also the whites on the 305T+ are pretty white.. at the proper temperature.. the whites on teh dell 3007wfp-hc are kinda reddish...yes there is a very very slight input lag.. but hey 30ms is what! .03 seconds?? lol... to me it was noticeable a bit.. but when i tired the apple cinema again it felt the same... if its just gaming not photoeditting.. and if the type of games you play are MMORPS or RTS.. get the 305T+... you wont be dissapointed man...

videomaster...Many thanks!

Without a doubt the Dell 3007WFP-HC

Its good because its just a panel with 1 input, it has no other fancy features which to me is good, because the moment you start shoving in colour correction and processing and scalers etc, you end up with worse pictures and input lag.

its only weakness is a single DL-DVI input, if you can live with that, and you can find one around somewhere, then you'll love the monitor, S-IPS really cant be beaten right now and its got a decent build quality.

Many thanks to all that posted!
I received the Samsung 305T yesterday and it is outstanding to say the least.
Based upon what I have I seen, videomaster is correct. This is an outstanding display.
Thanks for the input.
theseeeker

hey theseeker glad you like it alot.. by the way is it the 305T+ or the regular version?? Some users prefer the regular 305T because the colors aren't over saturated like the + version, where sometimes the reds are too rich.

Enjoy Gaming and Surfing and Multitasking on the 30" !!

I snagged a 3008WFP A02 off of ebay (NIB sealed) for $1000 after discounts last night...

It is replacing the 24" samsung I grabbed at costco the other day thinking I could get away with a cheaper display.

Sucks I wont even be able to use it though till later December as I'm still waiting for viable cables/adapters to be released for the unibody macbook pro.

I have never been able to get the Live Search discount to work, I always get "Sorry, this transaction is not eligible for cashback.". I would use it to get a 3008WFP as well..

CE

The HP web site now claims a 102% NTSC color gamut. Does anyone know if there has been a change to the components??

Back