Holy Crap!! Phenom II 6 GHz+ OVERCLOCK

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxius

2[H]4U
Today AMD was showing off its upcoming desktop Phenom II processor to a handful of journalists, and one of the main topics of the presentation is the "headroom" that AMD is building into the Phenom II processor.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=6455

The Phenom II reached 6 GHz+ at 1.9v on liquid nitrogen (boiling point -321F/-196C at 1 atm). Testing looks to have been done on a Gigabyte 790GX motherboard that is currently available.

all i can say is amd is back

I'm cautiously positive (not optimistic yet though). They had the same shenanigans with Barcelona launch in September 07, claiming an OC but not showing any pics, benchmarks, or numbers of any kind.

I need to see actual numbers please before believing the canned "let's show it to the journalists" kind of setting.

How does this stack up clock for clock with the i7 920 is what i want to know?

uhhh, it was 6ghz on liquid nitrogen. 4ghz on air

no it wasn't... AMD isnt retarded enough to show something running on liquid nitrogen as if it is somehow an indication of how much headroom their architecture has.... even northwood pentium 4s were hitting 5-6ghz on liquid nitrogen, and i dont think anyone saw that as an indication of how much headroom netburst had....

no it wasn't... AMD isnt retarded enough to show something running on liquid nitrogen as if it is somehow an indication of how much headroom their architecture has.... even northwood pentium 4s were hitting 5-6ghz on liquid nitrogen, and i dont think anyone saw that as an indication of how much headroom netburst had....

Try reading the article.

Try reading the article.

i think it goes without saying that no major chip maker would release clockspeed information under extreme cooling as any indication of their architecture's headroom.... it just does without saying, it would be blatantly retarded and smack of desperation...

i think it goes without saying that no major chip maker would release clockspeed information under extreme cooling as any indication of their architecture's headroom.... it just does without saying, it would be blatantly retarded and smack of desperation...

So I take it you still haven't read the article?

So I take it you still haven't read the article?

no need to, AMD isnt that stupid, and I dont think the OP is stupid enough to post something that has to do with extreme cooling as a sign of the phenom's future potential... people on these boards arent that retarded

intel fanboys make me sick sometimes....

no need to, AMD isnt that stupid, and I dont think the OP is stupid enough to post something that has to do with extreme cooling as a sign of the phenom's future potential... people on these boards arent that retarded

intel fanboys make me sick sometimes....

What does this have to do with Intel fan boys? Why are you still opting to ignore the article?

Both Intel and AMD have done this before. They are the 2 major chipmakers.

What does this have to do with Intel fan boys? Why are you still opting to ignore the article?

im not ignoring the article, the article says that the phenom 2 hit 6ghz at an AMD demonstration, as a way to demonstrate the phenom architecture's headroom potential....

the only way to really demonstrate headroom potential is to OC with air or non-exotic water, so thats obviously what AMD did.... no need to read the article to see that... otherwise, why would the OP make sure a big deal about this?

You'd have to be stupid/desperate/a mega fanboy/idiotic/moronic/sexually confused to see an extreme liquid nitrogen cooling system as indicative of what an arch can do...

What I think he is trying to say is that liquid nitrogen is not a feasible way to run your processor. He is just going about it in a stupid way of playing dumb. Yes most people are more interested in what it will actually do on air cooling or water. We get it. No need to play dumb/sarcastic.

they had a head room question since the phenom 1 was so lackluster so they answered it and did a nice job of it

Did any of you idiots even read the article?
The 2nd picture is of a dry ice cooler with a caption about isypropyl alcohol and dry ice!

Barcelona.......4ghz on cold sh*t..:rolleyes:

Deneb.........6ghz on cold sh*t...:eek:

AMD's transistor improvement is showing up big-time!

No where I see it say 6ghz+ on dry ice... I see 5ghz+ and it mentioned Core i7 going to 5.7ghz.

EDIT 5 ghz on Dry ice, 5ghz+ on LN. My hats off to AMD

AMD is really sending notice that they want to be considered again in the enthusiasts mind. They are promoting O/C everything from MB, CPU, and software. It's the only way they can compete. Mark out you niche in the hard-core more brains then buck$ crowd, and attack heavy in the low-end mass consumer end.

Wow i know alot of you are desperate for AMD to make a comeback but the overclock you get out of a sub zero cooled, cherry picked processor is not even remotely related to real world performance. I want AMD to compete as much as the next guy but those saying "AMD is back" because of this needs their head checked.

When we see real world benches of these processors actually performing competatively with intels then you can say "AMD is back"

Wow i know alot of you are desperate for AMD to make a comeback but the overclock you get out of a sub zero cooled, cherry picked processor is not even remotely related to real world performance. I want AMD to compete as much as the next guy but those saying "AMD is back" because of this needs their head checked.

When we see real world benches of these processors actually performing competatively with intels then you can say "AMD is back"

Hitting 4ghz on air and 5+ on LN is a huge jump from Barcelona, not only that but they perform better and use less power. There is a reason to be excited, you can't just say "well they only hit 6ghz on LN, who cares, its LN!", at least I find that to be pretty exciting.

Hitting 4ghz on air and 5+ on LN is a huge jump from Barcelona, not only that but they perform better and use less power. There is a reason to be excited, you can't just say "well they only hit 6ghz on LN, who cares, its LN!", at least I find that to be pretty exciting.

I will say it again.... I dont give a flying fuck what clocks it can hit. IT IS MEANINGLESS. AMD seems to be pulling what intel did for so long.

Like has been said a billion times in this thread clock speed is not a good way to measure performance and until i see something showing the actual real world performance youll have to forgive me if im not the least bit excited.

Fuck for all you guys know a 6ghz phenom 2 is equal to a 3ghz conroe yet you are all getting excited like AMD is giving you hadjobs.

I will say it again.... I dont give a flying fuck what clocks it can hit. IT IS MEANINGLESS. AMD seems to be pulling what intel did for so long.

Like has been said a billion times in this thread clock speed is not a good way to measure performance and until i see something showing the actual real world performance youll have to forgive me if im not the least bit excited.

Fuck for all you guys know a 6ghz phenom 2 is equal to a 3ghz conroe yet you are all getting excited like AMD is giving you hadjobs.

^ I love it. Ya'll should ALL think like this man! :D

Low expectations did wonders for the Radeon 4000 series :)

By the slides they leaked earlier this weak, they claim 4.5Ghz+ on water. I will buy that, regardless of what the i7 will do. I have ben imagining what a nice spider set-up might do with the correct optimiztions from ATI and AMD drivers.

Really crossing my finger that AMD blindside intel with some awesome chips. Competition between these two giants means more money in my pockets :).

AMD is really sending notice that they want to be considered again in the enthusiasts mind. They are promoting O/C everything from MB, CPU, and software. It's the only way they can compete. Mark out you niche in the hard-core more brains then buck$ crowd, and attack heavy in the low-end mass consumer end.

And it works they got me excited and witing for first benchmarks first time since x2 launch. And I'm going to start doing serious research of 790gx mobos reviews soon :)

seriously, i cant believe these guys refuse to believe that AMD can clock their phenom to 6ghz on air ....

I don't believe anyone here said it will clock to 6ghz on air, especially when both the article and OP mention the thing only made it to 6ghz with 1.9v and liquid nitrogen.

You'd be a better troll if you didn't do the following:

A. Somehow bring "intel fan boys" in to this when none are present in this thread
B. Make up things that were never posted here.

Grow up.

Cool down on the nerd rage there buddy.

You're just like BruceDeluxe and making things up.

The excitement is in the headroom present with the new chips. Nobody is saying AMD is going to beat Intel. "Amd is back in the game" means nothing more than AMD isn't going to suck as hard as it has been, nothing more.

Go watch some anime, drink a Ballz, and chill out.

Nice too see that AMD is doing some improvements, and I do hope their upcoming CPU's will be a success, I look forward getting one myself (Hopefully).

AMD needs to shine again someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back