i7 - Only 2 cores showing up (Vista 64bit)...

Arklight

Gawd
I have been oc'ing my i7 920 and things seem to be going well, BUT, CPUZ and CoreTemp only show me as having 2 cores and 4 threads.

I've seen screenshots of the OC's others are gettig and they all read 4 cores and 8 threads.

Task Manager is still reporting 4 cores though.

Any ideas?

A) You're running 32bit XP (which only supports 4 cores MAX)

B) You have XP computability turned on in bios, which disables 2 cores.

If A, install Vista, Linux, or OSX86

Else Turn off the setting in your bios

Come back if that dosen't help.

A) You're running 32bit XP (which only supports 4 cores MAX)

B) You have XP computability turned on in bios, which disables 2 cores.

If A, install Vista, Linux, or OSX86

Else Turn off the setting in your bios

Come back if that dosen't help.

Sorry, I just updated my post above. I am using Vista 64bit.

Where in the bios would that setting be? I've never heard of it. : /

*On a side note, Device Manager is listing 8 CPUs (I'm guessing from the 2 threads per core).

If you got 8 you're good to go... download cinebench and make sure all 8 cores are working now...

8 sections/slices of the picture should be rendering at the same time.

If I remember correctly it was one big picture being rendered, but I am not sure if I was running the correct test.

This whole thing is wierd. Everything but CPUZ and my BIOS shows 4 cores. I don't want to disable my OC to get it to show up....I havent even bumped up the voltage. :(

Ok, I don't have 8 slices, it looks like I have 4.

I am completely at a loss here. I put my processor back at stock speed to test and it still says 2 cores and 4 threads.

What happens if you open up task manager and click the performance tab?

that shoudl show "8" cores/threads.

If it doesn't, the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) may be messed up.

Was this a clean install of Windows, or did you swap the hard drive over from an old system without wiping the drive?

What happens if you open up task manager and click the performance tab?

that shoudl show "8" cores/threads.

If it doesn't, the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) may be messed up.

Was this a clean install of Windows, or did you swap the hard drive over from an old system without wiping the drive?

In the performance tab it only shows 4 windows.

This is a clean install of windows (I did update the bios to 905 though). I also had a situation where i had to reset the bios via the "reset" button on my mobo during a failed OC.

Could this of borked the bios?

Can I just update to the new bios that's out and see if it works?

Did you set "number of processors" anywhere? For example in the system configuration (i.e. msconfig) advanced boot options or similar.

This might have worked with previous quad cores, but if you set it to 4 with an i7, it will think you only have two cores because i7 has 8 threads....

p.s. and you really should reset your BIOS to default to make sure it's not that. I realise you don't want to, but the extra 1 or 2 minutes it takes to redo the BIOS overclock is worth it. (too bad you don't have a Gigabyte X58 board, else you can just save your settings anytime you want while reloading the defaults)

Did you set "number of processors" anywhere? For example in the system configuration (i.e. msconfig) advanced boot options or similar.

This might have worked with previous quad cores, but if you set it to 4 with an i7, it will think you only have two cores because i7 has 8 threads....

p.s. and you really should reset your BIOS to default to make sure it's not that. I realise you don't want to, but the extra 1 or 2 minutes it takes to redo the BIOS overclock is worth it. (too bad you don't have a Gigabyte X58 board, else you can just save your settings anytime you want while reloading the defaults)

I did reset my BIOS to default but it still stayed the same.

But...............Oh crap...I set "4" in Msconfig. in the Advanced Boot Options.

I think I sort of assumed that menat "cores". Gawdammnit, if that's what it is I am going to kick myself and then by beer for a year for you.

Hey, I signed up to [H] forums just for this thread :p

I just wanted to let people know (maybe it's been addressed in another thread here) but you can get the 8 "processors" to show up again once you've set it to 4 in the MSCONFIG boot settings. Set it back to 1 and then uncheck the "Number of Processors" then check the "Detect HAL" go out and check "Make all Boot settings permanent" hit apply and click yes, then reboot. Now you should see the 8 processors again and you can go back to the boot settings and set that to 8 also. It does speed up the boot time a bit.

It was a bit faster set as 4 on my machine but that obviously has undesirable side effects. I suppose you could turn off the hyper threading in the Bios and then 4 wouldn't be a problem. I'm not gonna try that though.

Anyway, hope that helps somebody out that inadvertently borked up the 8 processors thing.

Cheers

Edit: btw I did this on 2 i7 machines and both corrected themselves when I did the above.

I dare anyone to beat this I920 :

I have no clue on how it happened.I assumed it was enabling C3/6/7 states in BIOS.Disabled that option on my GB X58-DS4 restarted and everything was ok. Changed again to enable , nothing changed now.
Weird! :)

Back